• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights wants to transform you and a friend into a truly dynamic duo [GamesRadar interview]

Astorian

With Gotham Knights, Warner Bros. Games Montreal wants to make you feel like a superhero. In this upcoming 2021 release, you'll assume the mantle of Gotham City's protector – stalking its streets and rooftops as Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood, and Robin in the wake of Bruce Wayne's untimely demise. To save the city from further descent into chaos, you'll need to embrace the spirit of Batman's legacy and bring one of the darkest chapters in Gotham's long history to a close.

While Gotham Knights shares some DNA with the Arkham games – WB Games Montreal was behind 2013's Batman: Arkham Origins – you should expect more variety and challenge from this all-new experience. "We have entirely redesigned the combat system in order for it to work well in co-op," says Fleur Marty, executive producer of Gotham Knights. "Of course, we're still a brawler, and some of the mechanics won't feel totally alien for people who played and enjoyed the Arkham series, but it is in many ways very different."

"The game allows you to switch to a different character pretty much any time you want, as long as you go back to The Belfry to do so." With the Batcave destroyed the moment Code Black was initiated, The Belfry is the new base of operations for the Gotham Knights. This is where you'll go in the daytime to regroup and rest, push the narrative forward as you accept new challenges and missions, and tinker with your heroes' suits, weapons, gear, and playstyle build. When night falls, and you're ready to get back out on patrol, you'll be able to head back out into Gotham as any one of the characters, and without any fear of being under-levelled or prepared.

"Since the story progression is shared between all the characters, it also makes sense that you don't have to level them up from scratch every time you want to switch. It also stays very coherent in terms of our narrative," Marty continues. "Since the other members of the Batman family are always present in some way in the background, while you're out in the world fighting crime or unravelling the mystery, they don't stay inactive. So it makes sense that they are also progressing and getting stronger."

More below.

I am sorry but this game looks super cookie cutter, get by filler type crap cross-gen title :/ It will most likely launch with very little content and suffer content drought.

Last edited:
I am sorry but this game looks super cookie cutter, get by filler type crap cross-gen title :/
No it doesn't.

I have a feeling this was the game Rocksteady was developing and then WB transferred it to Montreal for completing so that Suicide Squad game can start development.

This game looks too good to be developed by inexperienced developers.

Kuranghi

"We have entirely redesigned the combat system in order for it to work well in co-op"

I'm not saying its bad to change it significantly from the Arkham combat, we've had tons of games with that combat and even Spiderman copied a lot of it. The thing I'm worried about is that WB Montreal couldn't even copy what Rocksteady made for Arkham City into Arkham Origins. They seem to be a bit technically inept and don't see glaring issues that makes their game less fun, they also haven't made a full game since AO. They made the DLC for Arkham Knight but surprise it had the same technical blunders and just has this "not a well polished game" feeling throughout that really takes you out of it.

Hopefully they can do better when they create something from the ground up, remaining optimistic but what they showed so far wasn't great imo. I think the worst thing you can say about it right now is that the boss battle looked like Marvel's Avengers :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
Top Bottom