• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta ask what is the point of the ps5 pro or Series Next?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I have owned a ps5 for well over a year now. I have played a ton of games. With that said, there is only a very few amount of games that really push the hardware.

I will go a step further. IMO R&C a rift apart is the only true next gen game. Yes the new consoles offer advances over the old but very few games really push the hardware.

Its like the ps4 version of a game are medium settings while the ps5 version are really high. The only real difference being better frames, loading and lighting.

So as established many studios do not utilize all the potential of the standard ps5. You look at ratchet and clank or the matrix tech demo and see the possibly of the system. Then look at most modern games still gimped by ps4 ties. It's a night and day difference.

Let alone the fact one still simply can't walk into a store and buy a ps5/xsx off shelves or online most of the time. So what is the point releasing a pro version of these consoles in the near future?

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The point is to own the one with the most flops, so you can be a winner.

Man Body GIF

reforen

There is no point, TCL just assumed the specs according to previous gen, there is a chip outage worldwide, and also the supply for both consoles is not optimal

jm89

Well at this point playstation and xbox will be expecting each other to come out with a pro model, so neither will want to be caught with their pants down if one of them pulls the trigger.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I have owned a ps5 for well over a year now. I have played a ton of games. With that said, there is only a very few amount of games that really push the hardware.

I will go a step further. IMO R&C a rift apart is the only true next gen game. Yes the new consoles offer advances over the old but very few games really push the hardware.

Its like the ps4 version of a game are medium settings while the ps5 version are really high. The only real difference being better frames, loading and lighting.

So as established many studios do not utilize all the potential of the standard ps5. You look at ratchet and clank or the matrix tech demo and see the possibly of the system. Then look at most modern games still gimped by ps4 ties. It's a night and day difference.

Let alone the fact one still simply can't walk into a store and buy a ps5/xsx off shelves or online most of the time. So what is the point releasing a pro version of these consoles in the near future?

Boss Mog

It's like asking what's the point of PS6. Gamers always want more power. Some people change phones every 1-2 years so why not a new console every 3-4 years? It's not for everybody but plenty of gamers would buy it, myself included.

RT and heavy focus on DLSS type of a technique
That makes no sense, the regular consoles can already use FSR and that is close enough to DLSS (not to mention the fact that both work with AMD and wouldn't have DLSS regardless). Both consoles are pretty suited to render game as around 1440p and the use reconstruction to output a 4K image.

8K is beyond stupid so a PS5 Pro console should be focused on better framerate on games that support VRR and maybe higher quality settings. This opens the door for a PS5 Pro that could be just a slightly better version of the console not necessarily something that is drastically better. I would take a PS5 Pro that just has much higher CPU and GPU clocks, better than not getting one and it doesn't sabotage the PS6 and would hardly require much support from devs.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
DF just released a great video on this exact question. I highly recommend checking it out.

Crayon

There's a market for them as luxuries. There is a ton of headroom on ps5 and I will happily rock mine for the next 7 years or whatever it ends up being. I don't need a pro and it it's like the PS4/pro I don't think the upgrade is really worth it as long as I still think the games look good. Pro model is clearly a splurge.

But there's market for exactly that sort of thing in of every type of product under the sun. There's always some people who will pony up for something bigger and badder. "Guess I'll have to get by with my 3080 for another six months".

Knightime_X

Pro is pointless.
Just wait until technology advances a bit more and just release the console due for next gen when its time.
For those who want a pro version just play on PC.
In the meantime, focus on console optimizations while keeping high performance key.

I absolutely HATE when games are shoehorned to just to barely get it to run.
Exhibit A: All 3rd party switch games

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Keep the price of the console high / avoid demand of cheaper models and try to keep people from looking too much into gaming PC’s.

Benefits for the users beside e-peen competition? Less and less and less… but you get to buy a new toy so 🤷‍♂️.

You're talking about systems as if they exist. They haven't even been announced and nobody is aware of their existence outside of a few loose rumours.

Anyway, what's the point? Money obviously. Enthusiasts will pay for them because they offer best in class for the price. In addition to this, whilst PS5 and Series X haven't really seen much in the way of 'next gen' games, if you're used to resolutions upwards of 1440p and framerates of 60+ fps then you may be in for a rude awakening when Unreal Engine 5 games start to show up. The Matrix demo (although un-optimised) struggled to hit 60fps 1440p on machines using an RTX 3090. This is hopefully an outlier but it could be that consoles don't hit 60fps in some UE5 games (especially open world games). A mid-gen refresh may be marketed in a way which makes this possible (unlikely as I can't imagine they will change CPU speeds drastically).

Speculation of course, but I think this is something for you to consider.

Mahavastu

I hope that will change soon...

Where the current gen Consoles have problems is ray tracing. In most games it is either so expensive that you only get 30fps and/or it is so cutted down that it makes not much sense...

There will also be PSVR2 with two high res resolution screens which need stable high frame rates. I would assume that the base PS5 might not be "fast enough" for the best experience and more performance would really helpful here, just like with the PS4 and the original PSVR.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
These consoles are doing well with cross-gen stuff (would be a disaster if that wasn't the case), but with stuff on the level of Matrix Awakening we're going back to 30fps being the norm. If I could get that but at 60fps I would gladly upgrade to a pro console.

(Yes, R&C and DeS look great, but they're far less complex.)

Kerotan

The UI is X10 faster in every regard. Load time's super fast, controller better. Cross Gen games run so much better. Sometimes the frame rate is doubled or even quadrupled. It's so obvious why we have gens.

There will be a lot more true next gen games like ratchet in a couple of year's. Why are they not all dumping last gen straight away? Because they don't want to go bankrupt.

tommib

The dream of playing the current Elden Ring PS5 Quality mode at full 60 fps.

BTW, that’s why devs should leave their frames uncapped, GAF! With hardware revisions, what once ran not ideal will be silky smooth in the future. Specially From games since that team never goes back for performance issues.

#LEAVETHEFRAMERATESUNCAPPED

Swift_Star

Banned
It's like asking what's the point of PS6. Gamers always want more power. Some people change phones every 1-2 years so why not a new console every 3-4 years? It's not for everybody but plenty of gamers would buy it, myself included.
I don’t want to spend money on new consoles every 4 year specially since they barely scratched the surface of what these systems have to offer rn. Pointless.

PUNKem733

Hey man what's the point of that $3,000 gaming PC? The $1,200 PC will play games just fine. What's the point? Absolute POWAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Top Bottom