• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta ask what is the point of the ps5 pro or Series Next?

MikeM

I’d buy a PS5 Pro on the premise of more frames and a guarantee of no 30fps games. Need moar 60 and 120 frame games babyyyyyy

Boss Mog

I don’t want to spend money on new consoles every 4 year specially since they barely scratched the surface of what these systems have to offer rn. Pointless.
Guess what you don't have to, nobody is putting a gun to your head. I'll never understand people who don't want something but also don't want others to have it. It's not pointless since RDNA3 brings big raytracing performance improvements. The Maxtrix demo runs like shit so unless you wanna wait 6-7 more years for good looking UE5 games that also run well, then PS5 Pro is the way to go.

Amiga

PSVR2

Virtual reality is very resource expensive. And It's not just about doubling the screen output, the field of view is larger in VR, and because you are IN the world you notice imperfections more. So the resource cost of VR is much more than 4x a standard game on a TV display.

Swift_Star

Banned
Guess what you don't have to, nobody is putting a gun to your head. I'll never understand people who don't want something but also don't want others to have it. It's not pointless since RDNA3 brings big raytracing performance improvements. The Maxtrix demo runs like shit so unless you wanna wait 6-7 more years for good looking UE5 games that also run well, then PS5 Pro is the way to go.
It’s not happening. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have owned a ps5 for well over a year now. I have played a ton of games. With that said, there is only a very few amount of games that really push the hardware.

I will go a step further. IMO R&C a rift apart is the only true next gen game. Yes the new consoles offer advances over the old but very few games really push the hardware.

Its like the ps4 version of a game are medium settings while the ps5 version are really high. The only real difference being better frames, loading and lighting.

So as established many studios do not utilize all the potential of the standard ps5. You look at ratchet and clank or the matrix tech demo and see the possibly of the system. Then look at most modern games still gimped by ps4 ties. It's a night and day difference.

Let alone the fact one still simply can't walk into a store and buy a ps5/xsx off shelves or online most of the time. So what is the point releasing a pro version of these consoles in the near future?
Same goal as always more power. More powerful hardware means less limits for devs, less limits are a good thing.

In terms of what it means in practice the goal right now would be to hopefully have powerful dedicated RT HW like Nvidia cards and Intel Arc cards do. The next thing would be dedicated machine learning HW which Nvidia and Intel cards have so that consoles have access to machine learning features like DLSS and XeSS. More rasterization power would allow current gen games to run at less limiting resolutions stuff like GOTG having to run at 1080p on PS5 and Series X to hit 60fps, most games running between 1080p and 1800p instead of 4k, 120fps at far lower fps as opposed to consistent 120fps. Another benefit could be arriving with a new version of HDMI allowing beyond 120 frame rates. And lastly better graphical features. This is just on the GPU side, CPU improvements would also bring benefits.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Sony and Microsoft need to realize the sales of consoles they have made are about 50 to 70% scalpers. People who don't play the system and buy games but re-sell the system at a profit of there own. Sony and Microsoft have said they sell consoles at a loss and thus wait for game sales to make up the profit margins. But with scalpers, they aren't making profit as they don't buy games. Therefore lots of people have to buy from scalpers for the two big guys to make profit on games. Overall I don't see a PS5 Pro or an Xbox Series Extreme. TVs are gonna be stuck at 120Hz for the next 5 or more years at the least. If new consoles do come out they should come with displayport so you can put it into a monitor with more than 120 Hz, like 210 Hz. So really if a new console does come out it's gonna need a displayport input for faster frame rate with monitors, or perhaps they can just say we've achieved real 4K 120 FPS now with the PS5 Pro and Xbox Series Extreme. 10.3 and 12 teraflops, already a big huge upgrade! What's next? 13.5 teraflops for PS5 Pro and 15 teraflops for Xbox Series Extreme?

ZywyPL

Banned
The (selling) point would be more performance, resolution and framerate, most noticeably focus on 60/120FPS given how strong the current consoles are pushing more than 30FPS so far but with small to huge sacrifices, so the updated models could provide fidelity modes at high framerates.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Other than contention over supply, I see no viable argument against a Pro console. If you want more powah you can get one, if not, no one's taking away your base PS5.

Forget major cpu/gpu core increases and instead take a smart approach. 2x RT, Advanced Upscaling (hardware ML or heavily accelerated custom instructions), architectural improvements, increase bandwidth, double storage, refresh chassis design and crank clocks as high as the node shrink allows; retaining the continuous boost approach.

There's a lot of stuff untapped but the RT hardware is already showing its weakness; and having to choose between performance/graphics sucks.

Last edited:

saintjules

While we haven't seen the true power of the current-gen consoles yet, I'd like to see games like the Matrix demo running at high resolution / 60fps comfortably. Plus whatever other bells and whistles that's not showcasing fully on the current Consoles.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
The (selling) point would be more performance, resolution and framerate, most noticeably focus on 60/120FPS given how strong the current consoles are pushing more than 30FPS so far but with small to huge sacrifices, so the updated models could provide fidelity modes at high framerates.
Will additional RT technologies apparently. 👍

I’d buy a PS5 Pro on the premise of more frames and a guarantee of no 30fps games. Need moar 60 and 120 frame games babyyyyyy
Developers will always prioritize graphical flair over FPS. You will still get 30FPS games if you're packing a 30TF GPU. There's a reason we get 'performance' modes now in games. There will always be a compromise.

Don't see a point for any Pro consoles when the base models have barely had to sweat running anything.

Last edited:

Diddy X

They'd find a way to make base models look like shit and create a need for more power out of thin air.

I'd easily pay another $500 in 2024 for an upgraded console if it means I can finally play games like Cyberpunk 2077 the way it was intended (Native 4K, locked 60fps, Ultra settings, Ray-Tracing Enabled). Even with the "next-gen" patch the game seems a generation behind what current high-end PCs can deliver.

cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-e3-2019-rtx-on-exclusive-4k-in-game-screenshot-002.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-new-Ray-Tracing-screenshots-1-scaled.jpg
xef23t522d461.jpg

truth411

I have owned a ps5 for well over a year now. I have played a ton of games. With that said, there is only a very few amount of games that really push the hardware.

I will go a step further. IMO R&C a rift apart is the only true next gen game. Yes the new consoles offer advances over the old but very few games really push the hardware.

Its like the ps4 version of a game are medium settings while the ps5 version are really high. The only real difference being better frames, loading and lighting.

So as established many studios do not utilize all the potential of the standard ps5. You look at ratchet and clank or the matrix tech demo and see the possibly of the system. Then look at most modern games still gimped by ps4 ties. It's a night and day difference.

Let alone the fact one still simply can't walk into a store and buy a ps5/xsx off shelves or online most of the time. So what is the point releasing a pro version of these consoles in the near future?
VR and higher resolution and Framerates. Higher framerates are going to be a much more important this generation.

Honestly I see the PS5 and XSX as really 1440p machines when effects are pushed to the max.

Because they will skimp on optimizations for the base ps5. We will get the shaft. Many devs won't bother and it would suck. Just like base ps4 and bone got little to no thought after the pro models came out. I get it 5-6 years in, but we haven't had any games yet. This gen hasn't started and is at a standstill.

Fbh

Better visuals and performance are never unwelcome.
We've mostly been getting cross gen games and already the new consoles have had to make compromises, it's not like cross gen games are running at 4K, locked 60fps with ultra graphic settings. Once we start getting more next gen only games that really push the hardware those compromises are only going to get more obvious.

Right now they might seem like overkill but by mid or late 2024 they don't sound too bad.

I don’t think upgraded versions of the current generation consoles are necessary, especially so soon. How are people talking about PS5 Pro and XSX Pro when we are still dealing with seemingly never ending cross gen games? We don’t even know what the current generation consoles are fully capable of yet, they are still considered new and of course extremely difficult to find.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
I don’t think upgraded versions of the current generation consoles are necessary, especially so soon. How are people talking about PS5 Pro and XSX Pro when we are still dealing with seemingly never ending cross gen games? We don’t even know what the current generation consoles are fully capable of yet, they are still considered new and of course extremely difficult to find.
Well right now we're just starting to get PS5 and Xbox Series X only games. For instance Resident Evil 4 Remake is only for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S and PC. I'm sure every game company will soon follow.

Aion002

The same point in owning a Series X over a Xbox One: Better stuff (Resolution, frames, loadings). If there's people willing to buy and MS/ Sony can profit from it, they will sure make them.

If those things are not important to you... Well, there's no point.

There's plenty of people still playing on the Xbox One OG having fun playing Series games with Xcloud.

Take It Easy Reaction GIF by CBS

Last edited:
Will we ever get 4k 60fps with most games? It wasn't long ago that we all thought 12 tf is more than enough but now everyone is talking about upgrades already. Its never enough no matter what. They need to keep you wanting more, so they can sell you more shit down the line. How long before they move up to 8k and the cycle starts all over again?

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Because they will skimp on optimizations for the base ps5. We will get the shaft. Many devs won't bother and it would suck. Just like base ps4 and bone got little to no thought after the pro models came out. I get it 5-6 years in, but we haven't had any games yet. This gen hasn't started and is at a standstill.
Name some examples where that was the case with PS4 vs the PS4 Pro. It never happened aside from Cyberpunk which doesn't really count because the devs tried to get the game on last gen consoles that couldn't handle it. The PS4 Pro version was very bad too, just slightly less so than the base PS4 version which was a total disaster at launch.

When you say "we will get the shaft" I'm guessing you mean base PS5 owners, but nothing is stopping you from upgrading to the Pro. If you sell your base PS5, the Pro wouldn't even cost that much. If you can't afford to drop a few C-notes on your hobby every 3-4 years then maybe change hobbies or get a better paying job. Gaming isn't even that expensive of a hobby compared to some others. I know a guy who regularly spends way more on car parts.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That already happened with the PS3 and 360 despite no Pro consoles.
That's not really a good argument, it happenned when the market wasn't as split (splitted?) as those pro console would make it....A dev going multiplat would have to do 5 versions to release a game only on ps/xbox and that obviously eat the optimisation phase.I think it is too early for those "pro" versions ...At least wait until supply==demand.

rushgore

The way forward I believe is the new upscaling technologies. They are getting more and more popular (even Apple announced their upscaling tech yesterday), so I believe we are only going to see the slim versions with smaller nodes this generation. Also the reason we have seen pro versions for the first time was that both the consoles were pretty underperforming thanks to AMD's shitty architecture at the time and the fact that desktop users were making a transition towards 1440p and 2160p right in the middle of the last gen.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Frames, loading, and lighting are huge in and of themselves. So the “pro” versions of the current hardware will allow further improvements to those features mentioned, but also better ray tracing and other advances.

jorgejjvr

more money

the point is to keep a SKU going for $500, other sku can then drop to $400

to get people that dont buy new consoles day 1, and wait for refreshes

to double dip on current customers that still buy the refreshes

and i guess for us, a more stable 4k/60 games

I only buy 1 console per gen, so its only this for me. I didnt get the pro or One X, I waited for PS5 and series x

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

It's not that the games don't push the hardware, it is the case that making games is expensive and to make it truly next-gen it costs a lot. But every game launched uses the full PS5 power, we need to choose between fidelity and performance.
Those consoles are weak to do RT, their processor is not all that powerful for next-gen experiences like UE5 and, of course, we still have game last gen holding us back. A more powerful console makes sense. What Sony and Microsoft need to do is to balance performance vs price.

Darius87

PSVR2

Virtual reality is very resource expensive. And It's not just about doubling the screen output, the field of view is larger in VR, and because you are IN the world you notice imperfections more. So the resource cost of VR is much more than 4x a standard game on a TV display.
more then 4x?... :messenger_grinning: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
gNRmImk.png

DRNmcv7.png

Hawk269

I'd easily pay another $500 in 2024 for an upgraded console if it means I can finally play games like Cyberpunk 2077 the way it was intended (Native 4K, locked 60fps, Ultra settings, Ray-Tracing Enabled). Even with the "next-gen" patch the game seems a generation behind what current high-end PCs can deliver.

cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-e3-2019-rtx-on-exclusive-4k-in-game-screenshot-002.jpg

Cyberpunk-2077-new-Ray-Tracing-screenshots-1-scaled.jpg
xef23t522d461.jpg
For me this would be the main reason. PS5/Series X are pretty weak when it comes to Ray Tracing and when it is implemented it comes at the cost of resolution/frame rate. A "pro" version of these consoles would hopefully bring much better RT performance along with more consistent resolution and frame rate.

Alebrije

I wont buy a Pro console just because RT improvement , the technology is good but not a must. 4k 60fps on AAA games is a better reason for a Pro.

But honestly current PS5 is fine, Horizont FL is a visual delight...and performs well.

Ev1L AuRoN

I wont buy a Pro console just because RT improvement , the technology is good but not a must. 4k 60fps on AAA games is a better reason for a Pro.

But honestly current PS5 is fine, Horizont FL is a visual delight...and performs well.
I bought PS4 on launch and was pissed when they launched the PS4 pro, this time around I'll wait for the Pro console. Or I Sony keep supporting the PC, skip them all together.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
PSVR2

Fundamentally, you’re not wrong. However, we’ve yet to see how PSVR2 will run on PS5, and I’m cautiously optimistic. PSVR on a PS4 Pro, even, should not have worked as good as it did. But thanks to the frame interpolation hardware, it ran reasonably well.

Similarly, the Quest 2 is incredibly underpowered, with only an SD835, I believe. And that manages to pull off more than I expected.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got an Index +3080/10900k, and I’d love to see that amount of fidelity on console. And honestly, I think we might. When you’re working with a bespoke system, it’s a lot easier to optimize and find unique tricks to get to stable performance. I wouldn’t be surprised if the PSVR2 also had frame interpolation hardware built-in.

All this is to say, I’d prefer no pro console refreshes this generation, at least yet. The consoles are still hard enough to find, and so many of the games being developed are still cross-gen. It just doesn’t make sense to further split the user base.

Top Bottom