• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, Pikmin 3 looks amazing in various instances

FLAguy954

First of all I'm going to get this out of the way by saying I'm fully aware that the game's image quality is reduced by lack of geometry, muddy ground textures, and a lack of AA. However, I've recently spent some time in the Pikmin 3 OT and my god, Pikmin 3 looks fucking amazing. I pretty much created this thread to give Nintendo their props for giving so much polish to a game that began development on the Wii. And also to show off some screens that impressed me in particular (warning, many screens incoming):

zlcfzremnvmgzvrrdlgtxxx.jpg

zlCfzREN1pgSX_0noj

zlCfzREP-gY_T0p4wE

zlCfzRENCjIbr39iF6

zlCfzRENLz87qYupvp

zlCfzREKxSowVp5r1i

zlCfzREGE88oAp0vb7

zlCfzRDOsBQGcf6hoe

zlCfzRDOstIrwyOYzb

zlCfzRDQ58ct09g53a

zlCfzRDRoo4lJtZ2FX

zlCfzRDRjmgHX6Tu8D

zlCfzRDRdBwPwPPCsy

zlCfzRDGUrUbP5E-4q

zlCfzRDV-5UNFquzpa

p262zim.jpg

zlCfzRDCpXw1NHdIwE

zlCfzRDerd0LuunKGI

I've been shitting on Nintendo a lot recently, but I do have to hand it to them: They can make a damn good looking game even on horribly underpowered hardware.

MrT-Tar

Pikmin 3 was one of those games that looked better every time a new lot of screenshots was revealed. It started looking off like a Wii 1.5 game; yet ended up looking absolutely fantastic, especially given the graphical constraints of it's platform.

Kimawolf

Yeah Nintendo did good with Pikmin 3. It's not a bad looking game at all and Wii U owners should definitely be happy that lil black (or white) box has a lil bit of umph to it.

Like I said in the other thread, the odd way this game looks is more due to unoptimization than hardware limitations. I'm sure a pikmin 4 would look a lot better

bud

in the end, it's the overall image quality and art direction that matters.

for example, super mario galaxy still more visually appealing than, say, killzone 3 or titanfall or watch dogs etc.

Like I said in the other thread, the odd way this game looks is more due to unoptimization than hardware limitations. I'm sure a pikmin 4 would look a lot better

I think you are right. Instead of making it from the ground up for Wii U, they propably just used the Wii engine and boosted the old engine to the max to get out of it what they could. A proper "Wii U Pikmin" would propably look alot better. I mean look at MK8... Thats a ground up Wii U game!

Again:

zlCfzRDRdBwPwPPCsy

How is it that those rocks look so next-gen, but such as ground textures are low-res? And I see hints of the bird demo (remember the rocks with the water running on them?).

It frustrates me because playing Pikmin 3 I feel like I'm playing a game with so-so realistic textures and not much else. Effects are pretty basic, and even things like transparency on enemies is running at a lower resolution than the game which looks horrible. It doesn't look as polished I usually expect first party Nintendo titles to look like. Nintendo have quite a ways to go with their HD engines, that's for sure.

And there's no giving them a pass on the texture quality here either - this is a machine with double the available RAM of an Xbox 360 or a PS3, with confined play worlds with relatively little going on in them. The more stylised textures look okay, but the realistic ones like the flat grass and dirt just grate.

Or maybe the hardware isn't as underpowered as people think?
They are working with 1GB of usable ram for games, a 3 Core CPU with large caches, and a GPU with a small number of shaders but likely largely customized. So yes, compared to the PC and next gen standards, it is under powered. Nintendo does wonders with what they are able to squeeze out of their console.

Darkroronoa

These are really impressing screens,so beautiful.Wii U pushes some pretty impressing graphics but the grounds textures really look kinda bad.

netBuff

Or maybe the hardware isn't as underpowered as people think?

These screenshots pretty much tell us that the Wii U is, in fact, underpowered: Low-poly geometry and terrible textures are apparent. Pikmin seems great despite its graphics, not because of.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
On top of the visual inadequacies already pointed out in the OP the lighting and effects seem wildly inconsistent.

Darryl

Banned
Again:

How is it that those rocks look so next-gen, but such as ground textures are low-res? And I see hints of the bird demo (remember the rocks with the water running on them?).

could be an artistic choice to reduce businessness in travel-able pathways so you can focus on the action there, and instead they put extra time working on the side foliage and obstacles to bring up the overall look of the game

Oersted

These screenshots pretty much tell us that the Wii U is, in fact, underpowered: Low-poly geometry and terrible textures are apparent. Pikmin seems great despite its graphics, not because of.

The game started as Wii game and especially the textures are showing, obviously.

Man, the hyperbole already reached a critical point.

netBuff

could be an artistic choice to reduce businessness in travel-able pathways so you can focus on the action there, and instead they put extra time working on the side foliage and obstacles to bring up the overall look of the game

Considering the very visible geometry underlying the (not all that impressive) rock textures, it seems more like someone didn't look very closely before designating something as "next gen".

Nintendo have become masters of natural looking lighting and tasteful use of effects like depth of field and motion blur. There is always one niggling blemish though, like the over-used bloom in Wind Waker HD. The only thing that is letting Pikmin 3 down in this instance is some low-res ground textures. For a while I had wanted them to go with a claymation art style too, but I think i've reversed my opinion after seeing how juicy the final game looks in its own style.

looks very nice, and unique. this is a case of not even having to ponder whether it's technically impressive or whatever, it just looks beautiful and coherent. i think i need to see this in motion.

EhoaVash

It looks amazing, but just imagine if this game didn't start out on wii :)

will there be a pikmin 4 for wii u....I'm not sure...if this is early wii u visuals, just imagine what they can do later in it's life o_o

netBuff

Trying way too hard...

Pikmin 3 seems like a great stand-out game I'm most definitely going to play in the next few weeks, but a graphical showcase it is not. And I can enjoy my Wii U even thinking it is underpowered and unimpressive hardware ;)

Top Bottom