• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta say, I'm a bit worried about LOZ: Link's Awakening :(

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Man, I wasn't expecting this, but...

Ugh... Barely ever 60 FPS is one thing, but if your games not hitting targets that bad, maybe it should have been locked 30 instead. The frame time pacing issues look utterly dreadful, as well. This went from being one of my most anticipated titles to being an actual concern. Lets ignore the fact that it should be 60fps locked, and that its not even 900p, but LOWER... But we can't ignore those frame pacing issues.

It seems to be a common thing from Japanese developers, its like they have no idea why this would even be an issue. But man, walking two foot to the side and dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps is going to be... Well... Shit, lol.

EDIT: Actually is it just my eyes or does it seem they are targetting 50fps most of the time...? Like... Why? When your game performs this badly, but doesn't go under 30fps if ever, why not just lock it to 30 fps... Ugh...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seems like areas with a lot of grass make it chug, which is just... hilarious.

Disappointing if they can't patch this or otherwise stabilize performance.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What gets me, is you get a game like Mario Odyssey running at 60fps and looking vastly better, while also running at 1080p. This runs at... Whatever that is, and at 1404x792...?

I mean... What went wrong? This game should be 1080p/60fps locked with ease, even on Switch hardware. There is one underground scene where Link goes into a single room with a single enemy and the game STILL can't hit 60fps?! Its essentially drawing at that point 10% of what a normal Mario Odyssey scene would... Its not the Switch hardware.

Totally baffled. I was so excited about this game, I essentially didn't even think to worry about performance, as usually Nintendo is pretty solid with that. But this almost seems like it was given to some Z tier mod group who don't have a clue how to work with the engine. I also hear its UE4, so, that may explain why it plays like arse...

DonF

The treehouse footage made me wait too. Every showing this game has been dropping frame.
Not a day one for me. Hell, maybe I'll wait a month or two to see how patches work.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So is this the final build or what? First time since Xeno2 Ninty had an issue with framerate then.

Yeah, release build. Which is odd because I heard Digital Foundry had their hands on a newer version than the old ones with performance issues, and they said the performance was a lot more solid. But of course, this is Nintendo, and we all know that Digital Foundry are paid for by Microsoft, so it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft paid Nintendo to make the game smoother, so Digital Foundry can post about how much better it is, then pay nintendo again to fuck it up, thus Digital Foundry will get a final paycheck from MS to say the xbox is amazing, and the playstation is awful. Or something. Am I doing this right? Sorry, I'm not actually mentally retarded so its hard to think like that.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I don't think it's a problem though, it looks fine to me.

giphy.gif

Maaan, people like you mannnnn… That's why we can't be friends...

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah, release build. Which is odd because I heard Digital Foundry had their hands on a newer version than the old ones with performance issues, and they said the performance was a lot more solid. But of course, this is Nintendo, and we all know that Digital Foundry are paid for by Microsoft, so it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft, paid Nintendo to make the game smoother, so Digital Foundry can post about how much better it is, then, pay nintendo again to fuck it up, this Digital Foundry will get a final paycheck from MS to say the xbox is amazing, and the playstation is awful. Or something. Am I doing this right? Sorry, I'm actually mentally retarded so its hard to think like that.
Lmao.

Well looks like we have to wait and see how this goes, it definitely stutters from time to time. Hoping they will patch things out later, at least maybe a 30fps lock? It could be a bug too. Hmmm

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’m not worried at all. The performance has already gotten an upgrade just from the first demo build to the next. Regardless of day one performance it will be improved just like w all first person games.

Frame drops don’t really ruin games for me. Everyone endlessly bitched about Bloodborne frame pacing I don’t think I ever once noticed.

I don’t really care tbh. I’d rather the game look really good, and this game looks really good

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't realize this game was having such technical issues. It's going to be sub-native resolution and have framerate dips? For a remake of a Gameboy game? I only watched the reveal trailer for it forever ago so I didn't know what the current reality was.

Hinedorf

Banned
Funfact: If this game was actually worthwhile and worth playing/buying they'd have released it a decade ago like all other profitable Zelda IP

Having played it originally on the Gameboy I have no desire to ever endure it again.

Nostalgia is one thing, denial is another

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I didn't realize this game was having such technical issues. It's going to be sub-native resolution and have framerate dips? For a remake of a Gameboy game? I only watched the reveal trailer for it forever ago so I didn't know what the current reality was.

You still don’t know the current reality because the game isn’t even out yet. It’s a little early to be crying when we don’t even know what a day one patch will do.

Last edited:

Life

I don't have a Switch so forgive my naivety - but perhaps it's to ensure longer playing hours whilst on-the-go? 60 FPS might push the system more and drain its battery faster.

Last edited:

Daymos

I couldn't care less about the pacing, what worries me is the short length and simplicity of the original gameboy game that they are 'remaking'. Technical aspects like this aren't as important as everyone makes them out to be... otherwise no one would have played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I would have paid extra for a ps3 Skyrim that had frame pacing as it's only issue (lol).

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Not sure what’s going on here. That’s the first time I’ve seen it like that since the E3 demo. Actually, this may be a lot worse.

All recent GameCom and promotional footage, the former of which people really got around the game with, had hit a good-looking framerate. Even Digital Foundry commented on it.

I’ll be keeping an eye out on other footage, but something looks off here.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah it sucks that they haven't been able to smoothen out the performance on this. The Switch might not have the best hardware but Nintendo is generally good with performance, when we have stuff like Tropical freeze and Mario Odyssey running at consistent 60fps you'd expect the same for a top down old school Zelda

Last edited:
Well, it's being developed by Grezzo which previously worked on 3DS games and this is their first entry into Switch. I am willing to bet that someone there is getting their ass reamed by Nintendo due to this becoming a known issue. AFAIK, Nintendo doesn't fuck around with their titles.

Cravis

Yikes. Welp thanks to Nintendo’s preorder policy of no refunds I’m in for the long haul with this one.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I have my copy pre-ordered from Amazon and good to play. Some frame rate drops/pacing issues isn't going to bother me at all whatsoever. Besides, it's an overhead slow paced 2D hack and slash adventure game, not fucking Doom. Keeping my pre-order 100%.

With that said, if the game is dropping below 50fps or whatever, then they should just release a day one patch that locks it at 30fps. It seems like those who are responsible for the optimization are having some issues.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't see how this is much of an issue. It reminds me of classic NES games that would struggle to hit 10 FPS when there were too many enemies on the screen. It's in their for nostalgia purposes.

I don't see how I would even notice this on this type of game. Now that I know to look for it, I will do so.

Dazrael

Meh, Breath of the Wild chugged like a winded asthmatic on the Wii U and yet I absolutely loved it. If the gameplay shines through then there is nothing to worry about.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Is this the current build?
A few weeks ago i saw a vidoe from Digital Foundry in which they were praising that what they saw on GamesCom was very stable.

Edit; Gameexplain also mentions framerate issues ☹️

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Paltheos

I couldn't care less about the pacing, what worries me is the short length and simplicity of the original gameboy game that they are 'remaking'. Technical aspects like this aren't as important as everyone makes them out to be... otherwise no one would have played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I would have paid extra for a ps3 Skyrim that had frame pacing as it's only issue (lol).

? The original game has 8 dungeons with pre-requisite missions for each and a few sidequests (well, the DX version anyway has 8 - nobody talks about vanilla Link's Awakening). Is this a common position?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The trouble is, frame rate isn't just about how smooth a game is, and people can't always understand that. Frame rate controls a lot more. The responsiveness of the controls, the smoothness of the screen shifts, the timing of things, it all changes depending on performance.

For example, a game running at 60fps versus a game at 30fps. Well, depending on the game (not all do this), the game may actually slow down, as in, "time". If your game is capped at 30fps, you will never notice. But if your game flutters between 60fps and 30fps a lot, you will see quite easily. Imagine firing a gun, and 60fps fires it much quicker. This is why people want the US version of SNES games and not the UK version. The US ones run at 60hrz, the UK ones at 50hrz, and playing the UK ones now feels like slow motion. A higher frame rate also has a higher sample rate for inputs, so the game will feel less sluggish, and feel much smoother to play. Frame pacing issues can totally ruin a game, even with a much higher frame rate. When you have a game that uses a camera such as this, one that's constantly moving with your character, any form of movement will create stutter on the camera. Usually with perfect frame pacing, a game will update bang on target, boom boom boom. However, with bad frame pacing, even a perfectly fine 30fps locked game can be a head ache of stutters and jumpy performance.

The excuse of "back in the day..." doesn't hold up any more. I played Goldeneye at sub 10fps and had a blast. We all did. But technology has come a long way since then, and standards have evolved. So yeah, NES games did jitter about, they did have issues... But that was then. You didn't know any better back then, because to be fair, "better" was very rare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom