• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
the thing that gets me as well is : look at the promo screen shots from D3 - they look like ass.

There have been so many moments of HOLY SHIT that looks amazing, i don't know how they managed to dig out such poor screen shots.

The sunset level where you take down the
giant ants nest
is just awesome.

And with each direct hit
either something gets blown off the giant structure, or it bends/tips a bit more/liquid gushes out of one of the hole created

Just... wow...

I hope with the next version they don't try and be too clever. It's all about situations, not about anything over complicated (ie: JUST KILL EVERYTHING).

The 3 giant striders coming down the Thames was another holy f*cking shit moment. The DOP effect is pretty understated too , and the draw distance insane - so lots of these "oh shit , they are coming!" moments just ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

The End

Yeah, the first spider level was pretty bad-ass. I was all "whoo blowing them up with the tank", until they webbed the fuck out of me and tore my ass up.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This game is kinda like a dynasty warriors esque sci fi world tour kill a thon. i love it!

Tain

I second the request for the direct feed footage.

This game sounds amazing, but I'm a frugal ass with my money.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Okay you penny-pinching turnip-squeezing cockmongers! I've got most of the levels open so I will make a video that will probably make you pee yourselves like Otacon after 4 two-liter bottles of Mountain Dew Code Red. I'll slap it together tonight

human5892

Queen of Denmark
What the shit, are they localizing this game for the U.S. or what?

I DON'T HAVE A FREAKING MOD BUT THIS SOUNDS SO AWESOME

Sho Nuff said:
Okay you penny-pinching turnip-squeezing cockmongers! I've got most of the levels open so I will make a video that will probably make you pee yourselves like Otacon after 4 two-liter bottles of Mountain Dew Code Red. I'll slap it together tonight
My dick, it quivers with anticipation. :D

Sho Nuff

Banned
Well, that's it. The final level (I think) is
unplayable crap and a crime against gamers everywhere. You have to take out the mothership by hitting four shield generators around the outside. Unfortunately, this is made difficult by ridiculous amounts of special effects and visual clutter that slows down the PS2 to 4fps if you're lucky, plus laser beams and explosions everywhere, slowing down the PS2 EVEN MORE. I can't see myself putting up with this to finish the game because, like I said, it's unplayable. Whatever designer is responsible for this should be punched in the face.

Edit:
You can also be killed instantly by things you cannot see.

Edit:
After you knock out the generators, the frame rate GETS WORSE.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
ddkawaii said:
If you're not pretty good at Japanese (at least 3kyu level and hopefully 2kyu) I'd hold off on Namco xCapcom. I'm not progressing as fast as I'd like in the game, and it's mostly becuase the whole reason to play is the story..and reading it slowly sucks....

I'm fluent in a couple of languages and understand enough of a few others to get by but Japanese is certainly not one of them as I know nothing but basic pronunciation of romanized japanese and a few odd phrases (that are probably wrong anyways).

That being said, I'm not getting NxC for the story. I'm getting it for the pure unadulterated fan service. More than anything it'll be anovelty for my collection that I play now and then for fun, not to actually complete and experience.

In this month's Edge they gave the game a glowing review and 8/10.

After reading this thread, I'm sold, next click Play Asia.

N.B. You can play import games using a HD Loader and a Hard Drive.

Bebpo

Banned
I finally got this from Play-Asia today and did the first 7 missions. Everyone is indeed right, this game is awesome :) I think this game really shows that EVERY GAME SHOULD HAVE FULLY DESTRUCTABLE ENVIRONMENTS. Blowing up houses, buildings, and other junk while in the midst of giant creatures of war is a really good immersing factor. Same with the people running around screaming.

Only thing I don't get is why would you want to play as the guy? He's soooooo slow. The girl is sooooooo slow too when she walks (since there is no run as far as I can tell) but tapping the jetpack takes care of that situation. Without a jetpack the guy just moves like molasses and levels take forever with him. I shall stick to my Jetgirl.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Bebpo said:
Only thing I don't get is why would you want to play as the guy? He's soooooo slow.

he gets some really powerful weapons, and reloading is much faster than waiting for an energy meter to recharge. he's not as much fun as pale wing -- i love her jetpack and outlandish energy weapons -- but once you've unlocked his more powerful assault rifles and bazookas, i find that he's stronger, and can complete missions much faster. if he has to travel a long way, he can use a jetbike or a helicopter. the two characters are different enough that it's worth using both of them, anyway.

Electrii

This game is awesome!
Is there a translation guide anywhere? I wanna know what all those ratings mean, and especially what the medals on each level represent.

Is beating a level all you need to do to unlock new stuff, or are there requirements?
Also, what the hell do R2/L2 do when you use the jetpack girl?

Electrii said:
This game is awesome!
Is there a translation guide anywhere? I wanna know what all those ratings mean, and especially what the medals on each level represent.

Is beating a level all you need to do to unlock new stuff, or are there requirements?
Also, what the hell do R2/L2 do when you use the jetpack girl?
For both characters, there's a percentage of completed missions out of total missions, number of completed missions, and current armor rating.

Each medal piece represents one completion of a level using one character on one difficulty. So if you want to be a completist and get all the medals...you'll be beating a lot of levels.

Picking up armor on levels increases your armor rating (by 1 per pickup for the girl; by 2-3 for the guy). The "WEAPON" boxes you pick up give you a random weapon, which is revealed when you beat the mission you found it on. Levels are unlocked for free play as you beat them.

Are you using normal or "technical" controls? R2 and L2 might not do anything on normal controls, but they're used for switching weapons and zooming with the sniper rifle on technical.

Electrii

Thanks!
how do I switch to advanced controls? is there a way to enable aiming with the right analog? it would make things alot better.

Edit: figured it out.

THIS GAME ROCKS. (despite the shitty framerate!)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Electrii said:
Thanks!
how do I switch to advanced controls? is there a way to enable aiming with the right analog? it would make things alot better.

you can't aim with right analog in this game?!? [interest plummets!]

BenT

You aim with the right analog.

I just started the game 45 minutes ago and it fucking rocks. Buy it.

MOTHER FUCK MISSION 51

Goddamn pillbugs in a subway tube. Took me ages to figure out that a thunder sniper + Raper Mk2 was the best combination. I tried lobbing plasma shots down the tube over and over until I realized it just wasn't working.
but YEAH BITCHES

Tain

I finally have this, as of today.

See all that praise pouring down from the above posts? It's completely warranted so far.

I mean, yeah, I started the first level, saw the atrocious framerate, and thought "I spent $30 for this?"... But then I cleaned a few of the ants, figured out how to switch to technical control, enjoyed the hell out of a handful of missions, and now I'm pumped about playing more.

The framerate sucks immensly at times (and I'm particularly anal about that sort of thing), but there really is a ridiculous amount of shit going on in those situations.

Bebpo

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Has anyone been able to kill the final boss? As far as I'm concerned the frame rate makes it impossible.

that...doesn't sound too good

Still on mission 11 or so myself :(

Gattsu25

Banned
any sites where I can import this for the cheap?

also: regarding using a US PS2...all I need is an HDLoader, right?

Sho Nuff said:
Has anyone been able to kill the final boss? As far as I'm concerned the frame rate makes it impossible.

I did in co-op mode (Only way I usually ever play), so the framerate was even worse.

It is possible, though really frustrating. There is also no reward from what I can tell...

Bebpo

Banned
Since the thread is bumped anyway, I just did mission 32 (or was it 33) with a friend in co-op tonight. The part where you
Take on multiple big ufos + little ufos + tons of tripods + spiders + ants was like the most epic 2 player battle to date. Watching my friend take on tripods in a helicopter from a distance was like watching some amazing scene from a film. Also the giant ants a few levels back were scary as hell when I first walked in the room and was like "wait, ants aren't normally THIS BIG >_<".

Game is so great in co-op. I don't even play it 1p anymore, just wait for friends to be over.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Uncle Dukey said:
I did in co-op mode (Only way I usually ever play), so the framerate was even worse.

It is possible, though really frustrating. There is also no reward from what I can tell...

So what happens? I remember
hitting the four generators on the outside of the giant UFO mothership. Then I think I hit three or four more. At that point I have no idea what happens, I tried to go to the center but was annihilated by 1fps graphics and flashing shit everywhere and rockets coming out of nowhere. :(

Sho Nuff said:
So what happens? I remember
hitting the four generators on the outside of the giant UFO mothership. Then I think I hit three or four more. At that point I have no idea what happens, I tried to go to the center but was annihilated by 1fps graphics and flashing shit everywhere and rockets coming out of nowhere. :(

It's been about a week since I finished it, so my memory may be a little off..

To avoid dying, I would destroy most of the guns before destroying the shield generators. Personally, I used one of the strong long range laser weapons (the long range rapid fire lightingish gun works too) and took out most of the guns from as far away as I could. There will be a lot of lasers firing at you still, but if you keep moving at long range, most of them will miss you. When they lob the energy balls at you, just jump jet out of the way. Plus, later once they start launching the mini ufos at you, you'll be able to destroy them and collect some health. The homing rockets get launched out of something, so just make sure you destroy the launchers as soon as they're no longer protected by the shield.. Don't just keep destroying the shield generators without taking care of the weapons, or there will be way too many guns/mortar/rocket turrets blasting at you for you to survive.

After you remove all the shield generators the entire ship is exposed. At that point (or maybe somewhat before.. don't remember), it'll start launching out mini ufos out of itself that attack you. If I remember correctly, you have to shoot the exposed center each time it opens up (I think you have to shoot from underneath the ufo, I didn't try shooting it from the side), and after a few times, it'll die.

After it blows up and you finish the mission, there's just a few still pictures with overlaid text, and then a credit roll..

Bebpo

Banned
Did from 35 or so -> 50 tonight with my EDF2 loving friend and I can't believe how amazing some of the stuff was.

The mission where the huge mothership makes its appearance out of the vortex for the first time was like OMFG THIS IS AMAZING. We don't even know how we beat it. We kept dying and dying on the level as we didn't know what to shoot. We were going for the shield generators, the weapons on the outside, the flying UFOs, but nothing seemed to make a difference. Finally the level just ended and said mission cleared at some point so I guess the goal was just to survive. Still, the design of the mothership is amazing, the epic scope and all the details make it cooler than 90% of mechanical designs in any other game. These people are amazingly talented.

The newer Tripods were pretty badass designs as well, though sniping from a distance made short work of them all :)

The level with every type of UFO to date was pretty awesome as well. Framerate must've been sub-10fps most of the time but it was a plast.

Finally is it just me or are the spiders the most difficult enemies in the game? Me and my friend can tear up any other type of enemy (he plays the guy and loves his shotguns/rocket launchers, I play the girl and love my thunder sniper rifle and medium range electric spread) but everytime we see spiders we starting screaming "SPIDERS!!!" and run the hell away ASAP. If you end up getting surrounded by a pack of spiders, their web attack seriously kills you sooooo fast it's frightening. Especially with the guy who can't just fly away to safety. God I hope there aren't lvl.2 versions of the spiders in the next 20 missions ^^;

Best $20 game I have ever bought

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
:lol
WTF...this is seriously the best action game I've experienced in a loong time. I tried the game for the first time today in co-op mode with a friend...we started out like "well, this is pretty cool ", but after a couple of stages, we realized that "gigantic spiders...are being BLASTED across an entire city in every direction...dead ants...are PILING UP in front of us...this is fucking AWESOME". Then we played for 7 hours without a break. So much fun. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Kiriku said:
:lol
WTF...this is seriously the best action game I've experienced in a loong time. I tried the game for the first time today in co-op mode with a friend...we started out like "well, this is pretty cool ", but after a couple of stages, we realized that "gigantic spiders...are being BLASTED across an entire city in every direction...dead ants...are PILING UP in front of us...this is fucking AWESOME". Then we played for 7 hours without a break. So much fun. :lol

Yeah, I was enjoying the game but not at the GoTY edition level when I first got it and played 1p. But then when I tried 2p co-op it flew up to that level and became easily one of the best co-op games ever IMO.

If it wasn't for 2p mode, I probably would've gotten bored of it by mission 20 but now I'm in until the end with my friend.

For the X360 version, I'd love to see a 16 player or more online co-op with full voice chat and cities 5-10x the size of the ones in here. Imagine 16 players going up against 10+ Godzillas while UFOs, Tripods, and ants are roaming around. Imagine it with no slowdown and 60fps and tons of vehicles to pilot. Just thinking about looking into the sky and seeing multiple helicopters surrounding a Godzilla has it tries to swat them down gets me more excited about EDF3 than other next-gen game to date.

Top Bottom