• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2

Tain

I've really gotta dive back into this soon. Ninja Gaiden Black has been too big of a distraction, as I traied off around 25 or so.

Ninja Gaiden Black Hard replaying or furthering EDF2... They're both such amazing games, though. Damn.

Bebpo

Banned
Beat this tonight in co-op.

I really don't see how that final mission could be beaten in single player.
Even though my friend had used the army guy the entire game we realized the army guy is fucked in that level because he's just too slow. So I forced my buddy to play as the fly girl and we did it military style with him going left and myself going right. Each of us took out two generators and then rushed in and each took out the 1 generator nearest to us. Then we both rushed under the center and unloaded everything on the center and hoped to god the thing died before it closed the center since we wouldn't have survived another minute or so. Luckily it blew up and we got to watch nice happy end on the beach screen. Yay for an awesome awesome game.

Hardest level was probably the super giant godzilla as my earth man buddy would get owned everytime he did the huge firebreath since he had no jetpack. Even with a jetpack it was tough surviving multiple fire blasts without running out of energy and still attacking. Barely beat the level as my friend was dead and Godgiantzilla rushed me head on as I took my last shots before being crushed and he fell to his death luckily.

Favorite enemy was the upgraded Tripods, I love how they'd freak out at times and flip all over the place. Most feared enemy was still the spiders all the way until the 2nd to last level. They just cover too much ground too quickly and have super accurate web attacks that in groups destroys you.

Oh well, loved the game. Total time was around 11 hours, but playing casually it took about a month+

Zer0

Banned
game have reached frome yeasia today,anyone got a faq of this game? i have try gamefaqs but have no luck

What do you need to know? Weapon names and such? Trying them out and figuring out what's in each category works pretty well. If you have questions about menus, just ask here. Mission goals are simple: kill everything. :D

Zer0

Banned
jiji said:
What do you need to know? Weapon names and such? Trying them out and figuring out what's in each category works pretty well. If you have questions about menus, just ask here. Mission goals are simple: kill everything. :D

ok how do you get the fliying girl? there is a way to zoom in weapons? what are the menu options?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Me and a friend of mine reached stage 68 (I think it was) recently. At least it was the stage with the
giant, giant, GIANT fucking godzilla burning everything in its way. I'm playing as the girl, my friend is controlling the guy. And as mentioned before, it's hard to play as the male character and manage to get away from the flames. Hell, it's kinda hard to escape as the girl as well. You have to really anticipate his flame attack and fly 90 degrees turn the hell out of there. We tried to beat him...I'm sure it was like 20 times before we gave up.

My friend tried to use the speed bike which worked for a while, but we soon realized that most of the time we both spent running without actually getting many shots in. I thought of using really powerful weapons (like that lightning sniper rifle doing 3 x 100 in damage, or MONSTER...but that one takes sooo long to recharge it's not really worth it). I'm kind of wondering, are certain type of weapons better against it than others? Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should use...well, for both characters?

Bebpo

Banned
Kiriku said:
Me and a friend of mine reached stage 68 (I think it was) recently. At least it was the stage with the
giant, giant, GIANT fucking godzilla burning everything in its way. I'm playing as the girl, my friend is controlling the guy. And as mentioned before, it's hard to play as the male character and manage to get away from the flames. Hell, it's kinda hard to escape as the girl as well. You have to really anticipate his flame attack and fly 90 degrees turn the hell out of there. We tried to beat him...I'm sure it was like 20 times before we gave up.

My friend tried to use the speed bike which worked for a while, but we soon realized that most of the time we both spent running without actually getting many shots in. I thought of using really powerful weapons (like that lightning sniper rifle doing 3 x 100 in damage, or MONSTER...but that one takes sooo long to recharge it's not really worth it). I'm kind of wondering, are certain type of weapons better against it than others? Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should use...well, for both characters?

hahaha, that sounds EXACTLY like when me and my friend played that level. I almost gave up at that point after all the deaths but my buddy wasn't going to let it beat him so we kept going.

Seriously, I don't have a real real good strategy as we barely survived ourselves, but I would suggest
having one player be the 'distraction' who basically pelts him with bullets non-stop and draws Godzilla towards him. Meanwhile have the other player use the sniper lightnening gun and try to keep getting shots on him from a distance. We had the soldier guy using the multi-firing grenade launcher (BEST WEAPON IN THE GAME -for the guy) and the girl using the lightning sniper rifle that only takes 16% energy to fire. MONSTER is waaaaay too slow.

Best advice is just to keep trying and attempt to survive it out

Tain

Holy mother of Christ was this game awesome.

Just finished it co-op the other night.

I don't see how it's possible to beat this single-player. Hell, we had to beat it on Easy, which is something I just don't do. We were both the dude, as the chick is completely weak at this point.

...So, uh, we're replaying as the chick. <3

I have 64 weapons for the guy. I'm guessing the 140 is split 70/70? Is there any easy way to get the last four weapons?

Bebpo

Banned
Tain said:
Holy mother of Christ was this game awesome.

Just finished it co-op the other night.

I don't see how it's possible to beat this single-player. Hell, we had to beat it on Easy, which is something I just don't do. We were both the dude, as the chick is completely weak at this point.

...So, uh, we're replaying as the chick. <3

I have 64 weapons for the guy. I'm guessing the 140 is split 70/70? Is there any easy way to get the last four weapons?

Hey, how did you finish the final level with the guy? We had to do it both as the girl because the guy was too slow.

Tain

Easy mode, as said, but we also took the sniper rifle that does 400 damage and picked apart the generators as fast as possible (one hit each), running counter to the ship's rotation. Then, the two (one in Easy?) inner generators went down, and there was a whole shitload of rolling to be done underneath the center. Used the same sniper rifle for that.

Basically, I had about as little health left as possible. There was also much, constant rolling. Easiest way to get fucked up is to roll into something, of course.

Now that we've started with the girl, it's really, really awkward. I'm almost tempted to say that she sucks, but that's because a) I have to get used to avoiding overheating; no more reloading for me, b) her on-foot speed is horribly slow, and c) I'm not used to having such shitty weapons ;_;. I'm sure that it'll get better over time, of course.

Other random notes:
- Deathmatch is surprisingly good. I never expected to say that.

- The vehicles, while shitty in control, actually did wind up being useful on occasion. Generally they were used to get the fuck away, but sometimes the damage they dealt was great. Worked really well on the last mission with the camera-stealing UFOs, where I helicopter'd ontop of one of them, cleared the rest out, and used the great, dreaded HG-13A to clear the freaking spiderfest below.

- Speaking of which, I love how you can ride many of the enemies.

- And losing the camera to a falling UFO sucks.

- I can't believe how much teamwork and thought went into a game like this, when all's said and done. Awesome.

- Is Inferno remotely possible? I can't even beat the first stage as the dude.

Bebpo

Banned
Tain said:
- And losing the camera to a falling UFO sucks.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA....>_<.....;_;

Yeah that was like the worst decision in the history of gaming to do that. Everytime a level had giant UFOs we had to time it so both players were in the clear and then one of us shouts "UFO going down in 3.2.1...." and then we both run like hell and try not to die.

We even got to the point at the end where one player would use the other player's screen to aim and shoot at the next giant UFO while the view was screwed.

Tain

Hah, yeah, we'd basically do that. Either elaborate warnings or much cursing at each other every time it happened.

You have to wonder... Why didn't we just time it to take out two at once?

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
I coulda sworn someone (jiji?) pointed it out in this thread, but I don't see it now -- you can turn off the camera-stealing money shots in the options menu, though I can't remember now which selection it is. It's one of the last.

Tain

OHSHIT.

You know, just while writing the last post, I thought to myself the following:

"Y'know, I bet that unknown option is to turn off the UFO death camera-stealing. Wouldn't it be funny if everyone went through the game without knowing this?"

I'll have to try it out. Goddamnit. ;_;

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, there's definitely a way to turn off the auto-lock on shot-down UFOs. My friend and I discovered it at stage 55-60 or something...we were like "ok, this shit has to stop...there's GOTTA be a way to turn it off". So we went through the control settings and found some setting called "lock"...I think? Either way, it turned off the auto-lock and man, we rejoiced. The only big problem we had with the game was finally gone! :D

Oh, and we managed to beat the
Giant godzilla a few days ago!! It's funny, 'cause we tried at least 20 times before, but this time around we beat him pretty comfortably in two tries. We went with a different approach, as I positioned myself right between his feet and delivered as much damage as I could. He tried to fry me with his fire breath, but since I was too close to him, he missed me quite a lot.
And since he was attacking me (I was playing as the girl), my friend (who plays as the guy) could just keep shooting at the monster from a safe distance. Eventually I died and just waited for my friend to die for another try without paying much attention to what was going on, but my friend had quite a bit of health left when he suddenly said "oh shit, we did it!!" and I was like "WTF HE DIED!?" :lol

Now we're at that stage were you face off against several waves of enemies, were you fight lots of UFOs and shit coupled with the giant centipede.

Matlock

Banned
I just got this game...oh man.

1. Even WITH the wiki (which is somewhat helpful but inaccurate in the menu system), I barely know what the fuck is going on.
2. Ignore the above and blow the shit out of everything.

I've been using the flying girl with a combo of her starting weapon (the multi red laser) and a plasma rocket launcher of some sort. It's done well so far, but those walkers are a bitch! :X

Excellent fun for a discount price, tho, and honestly...this NEEDS to be localized to an English speaking country now. I can't see how the combination of a MST3K theme and "destroy the fuck out everything" gameplay design could possibly fail.

Sho Nuff

Banned
BUMP FOR THE EARTH DEFENSE FORCE TWOOOO~~~!

IF I WERE SANTA JESUS I WOULD MAKE SURE THAT EVERY CHILD ON THE PRESENT RECEIVED THIS UNDER THEIR XMAS TREE!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL GIANT ANTS!

Tain

1. Even WITH the wiki (which is somewhat helpful but inaccurate in the menu system), I barely know what the fuck is going on.

Ah, damn, really? I thought I had it, though I did half-go by memory. Let me know where it's messed up, or edit it, or whatevah.

Matlock

Banned
Tain said:
Ah, damn, really? I thought I had it, though I did half-go by memory. Let me know where it's messed up, or edit it, or whatevah.

I dunno, it's a great start, but you list like 4 items in the options menu, but there's 5. :\

Many props for getting me this far, though. :D

Was this made by the RAD people? I'm probably 1 of 10 Americans that loved that game to death and played it all the way through. This game sounds un-freaking-believable. I need it, but I don't have a JP PS2. What's the easiest to make my PS2 JP friendly?

Tain

Yes it was.

And the flip-top mod is probably the easiest thing to do, which involves a plastic replacement case and a boot disc.

Could you hook a brother up with a link?

Tain...I remember you from TNL, you were a huge VOOT freak, right? I used to post as Green.

Matlock

Banned
Tain said:
Yes it was.

And the flip-top mod is probably the easiest thing to do, which involves a plastic replacement case and a boot disc.

Depends--The screws on my PS2 were a real bitch. :X

Either way, just finished the second spider mission, the one where you've got to take down a UFO...The beginning of it was so awesome, watching people run...spiders bounding back and forth in this residential area down a street towards me...literally HUNDREDS OF THEM.

I yank out the plasma bazooka.

BOOM.

Bodies fly everywhere.

BOOM.

A few more.

BOOM.

Oh god they're getting close to me.

Then I yank out the rifle and pick 'em off at close range.

SO BADASS.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DCharlie said:
Lets hear it for EDF2....

thanks ants......... thants.

Did you get The Onechanbara 2 yet? I was thinking about it, but I see it's actually supposed to come out for the Xbox 360 later on!

Simple 2000 crap in HIGH DEF O.O

Matlock said:
Jesus, that's going to be tough. I've got the flying girl, any recommendations on a weapon to use?
Try one of her thunder sniper rifles, or a (finger quotes) "lay-zer". She has a short-range weapon that fires single bolts that should work, too, but I'm not sure if you have access to it at that point in the game.

If you're REALLY daring, use a plasma grenade launcher and aim for the middles. You can also nail them with splash damage from a plasma grenade.

I just pulled this out again recently and finally started getting some 2P action on. Definitely one of the best co-op games ever.

Matlock

Banned
Hrm. Well, I do have the single shot rifle that's under the first weapon...it's pretty useful in taking shit down.

And I've had a lightning sniper rifle for a long time. It's a long name of Japanese text above two other ones that have some engrish in it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
oh man, i just played this for the past 4 hours co op.

i wont ever play it single player again. Man just think what this will be like on ps3. oh god so many dead spider bodies.

how the fuck do i use the monster? does that weapon just suck or what?

Anyway, with the chick the Mirage 5w + rapid fire = win

Matlock

Banned
sp0rsk said:
oh fuck online co op PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

YES.

I just finished a level that was pretty much "oh yay I'm in a subway tunnel and ants are coming one way and spiders the other." Needless to say, it was fun as hell. :X

Bebpo

Banned
brandonnn said:
It's not just jarrod, it was one of the first announced games in that initial MS Japan 360 lineup.

Not only that but there was supposed to be a blurb on it in last weeks Famitsu or Famitsu Xbox360 (maybe even with first pics?). But no one scanned it so...yeah :\

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Bebpo said:
Not only that but there was supposed to be a blurb on it in last weeks Famitsu or Famitsu Xbox360 (maybe even with first pics?). But no one scanned it so...yeah :\

:O GAF JAPAN WONDERFORUM POWERS ACTIVATE!

Lyte Edge

Matlock said:
sporks: if jarrod is to be believed, 360 is its destiny!

I posted above that The Oneechanbara is coming to the 360; I don't see why they wouldn't be bringing this game out as well. It would be nice to have the EDF2 with an actual good frame rate. :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i see the Onechan 2 is out!!!

and Simple superstars (fighting game with Simple series characters :O)

perhaps i should go and buy them?

Lyte Edge

DCharlie said:

and Simple superstars (fighting game with Simple series characters :O)

perhaps i should go and buy them?

I think I saw that the fighting game really, REALLY SUCKS. But sure go ahead with Oneechan 2. I might pick it up when I get to Tokyo tomorrow if you say it's okay. :)

Is there a weekly drink meet up tomorrow? Or do you guys no longer do that?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
*cough* we don't talk about the weekly thing here! ;)

i'm on MSN right now, hook up (or mail me at work/hotmail)

- it's cold outside, and i have beer and a heater and the other half is out...
so it's unlikely i'll be venturing far.

Saying that, the local game store doesn't shut until 2am, and i have a hankering for Ryu ga Gotoku as well...

we shall see... 3 beers gone, chu hi time... can i resist the spend urge of the dreaded 8 beer challenge?

After reading this thread last night, I went and picked this game up at Yodobashi Umeda tonight.

I am looking forward to playing it, but i have a problem.

I have my flip top for import games, but a friend of mine lost my swap magic disc :( Right now I am in Japan, but I figured there wasn't a difference between the different boot discs in different countries.

I went to den den town and picked up a new one there, figuring that it would work. But unfortunately it seems that the software meant to help people around region coding, is in fact region coded.

I'm sure there is a good reason for this, but oh well. Let's just hope they let me return it.

But damn I wanna play this.

shuri

Banned
The news that this is coming to x360 is simply amazing. Considering they are cd games too, it would be awesome to be able to download them from XBL

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, EDF2...been thinking about finishing it today, only have a couple of levels left to beat in co-op. Awesome game, of course. :D

Drakken

Wow. After reading through this whole thread, I really want this game. My PS2 can't play imports, though. Guess I'll have to spend the money on a fliptop and swap magic disk. If it's really as amazing as everyone says it is, it will be worth it.

Sho Nuff: What the heck was that Rock 'N Roll McDonald's song in your vid? :lol

sp0rsk said:
how the fuck do i use the monster? does that weapon just suck or what?
It fires ONE shot that drains ALL your energy. Usually it's enough to take down a mothership/tripod/big tripod/what have you. You have to make sure you aim for the center of whatever you're shooting at, otherwise it might not quite do the job with one hit.

DCharlie said:
I PREORDERED this, and Yesasia STILL haven't fucking shipped. It's still marked as "Searching from Suppliers." Fucking incompetent morons. I should have stuck with Play-Asia.

Top Bottom