• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 2

Matlock

Banned
I was having trouble in the sunset battle against the flying ants, so I figured "Screw it" and flew straight into one of the holes on the side of the nest and blew a few lightning shotgun rounds into it.

It made a really nice crash. :D

Then I ran around picking off flying ants...and at the very end I lured 'em by the fuel tanks and hit the tanks one by one. I had five alight at once, and the ants caught the most of it. Greatest destruction of this gen! :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay - will pick up onechan 2 - will take one for the team! ;)

might get the all star fighting simply because you can play as the 50 ft tall woman

Gattsu25

Banned
ok

since I suck at this and have a piss ass memory: how do I get a import game running on my PS2?

I have:

1 PS2
1 Action Replay Max Evo
1 PS2 Hard Drive
1 HDLoader
1 Copy of EDF2
4 Memory Cards

missile_defense_3d.gif

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Alright, finished the game last night with a friend in co-op. And I don't understand the comments about the last stage being nearly unplayable because of low framerate. I mean, it wasn't much worse than the rest of the game for me, and I can think of stages with FAR worse framerate than the last one. For example,
against the crazy big godzilla the framerate went nuts and dropped to what must have been at most 5 fps, not only for a moment, but for probably 10-15 seconds every time it happened

And about the last stage...

It wasn't very hard at all if you played it safe. We tried a few strategies, including just rushing in, but that was nearly impossible with all the shit going on, could barely move before being shot down again when we were close to the middle.
So we tried a different approach and just worked our way towards the center very methodically, shooting down every little cannon and laser thing we could spot. We both used sniper rifles, which was very effective since you could stand at a safe distance and fire away.

Eventually it was just the very center left, and we barely lost any energy during this process. Only real threat was the four legs (or whatever it was) shooting homing lasers, mostly because I was afraid it wouldn't be possible to blow them up at first. But those went down pretty quickly as well. I considered the stage before the last one to be much harder, along with the super giant godzilla of course.

Anyway, excellent game simply because it's so freakin' fun to play, especially in co-op when planning strategies with your friend and just talking about all the crazy shit that's going down! :lol
It's the kind of game that makes me completely forget about technical aspects (even though it has graphical flaws) and just enjoy the hell out of it.
And I really want to thank people in this thread for bringing this game to my attention, otherwise I would never have known about it. So thanks! :D

Matlock

Banned
Hahaha, the sunset level with 3 types of UFO's (mothership, smaller motherships, small ufo's) was pretty badass. I flew on top of each of the smaller motherships (seriously, I just hopped from one to the other) and used the electric shotgun on 'em.

I <3 EDF2.

Matlock

Banned
Holy shit, the boss centipede is badass. Not even FUEL TANK EXPLOSIONS kill it. So here I am, picking piece by piece with a MONSTER. :D

Sho Nuff

Banned
The centipedes in general absolutely blow me away. Just to see these mile-long monsters swarming all over shit forming crazy twists and loops. AHHHH!

Matlock

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
The centipedes in general absolutely blow me away. Just to see these mile-long monsters swarming all over shit forming crazy twists and loops. AHHHH!

Haha, the best part is when you blow them away with a fuel tank...you can't see where they went, but then you look at the radar and you see a solid red vertical line coming up from it.

edit: not to mention the initial volley of venom. I looked up in the sky and went "you've got to be fucking kidding me."

Either way, just blew through Mission 33--monster + electric shotgun rox! I just looked at the mothership when it was dropping bombs, thought of Independence Day, and shot at the bottom when it opened. Victory!

Matlock

Banned
OH MY FUCK

Just when I thought the motherships couldn't get bigger...third tier. :X

First tier are kinda easy to take down--one monster shot and they're dead.
Second tier have that nasty bombing raid, but still not that hard.
Third tier is like I TOLD YOU I WAS HARDCORE and soaks the entire playing field with gunfire.

;_;

shuri

Banned
Well I just got the game. Yesasia somehow shipped that and Onea Chambara 2 (which is incredibly fun) in two different packages?

I played the first 4 missions and right now I'm at the cave one; and it's AWESOME! The framearte is kinda meh, but holy shit its fun to just blast stuff! The attract video showed a lot of really cool stuff, but damn. I also prefer the girl to the guy. And there seems to be a lot of weapons. Playing at hard is suicide!

Best 20$ I ever spent on videogames! BELIEVE THE HYPE!

funny you should mention Onea Chambara 2. I think D3 figured out a way to fix the framerate in EDF2.
- D3 Publisher announced their first Xbox 360 titles, the company will release Xbox 360 edition of the popular PS2 action game Oanechan Bara X [The Sword Fighting Sisters X] and Chikyuu Boueisen X [Earth Defense Force X] in Japan this summer.
Thanks www.the-magicbox.com.
I can't find any freaking screenshots to post, but I'd imagine they will have rock-solid framerates, upgraded character models, and be really cheap.
If we're lucky, these even might make it across the pond, wouldn't that be lovely.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anyone play that Ambulance Vs. Zombies game yet?

shuri said:
Well I just got the game. Yesasia somehow shipped that and Onea Chambara 2 (which is incredibly fun) in two different packages?

I played the first 4 missions and right now I'm at the cave one; and it's AWESOME! The framearte is kinda meh, but holy shit its fun to just blast stuff! The attract video showed a lot of really cool stuff, but damn. I also prefer the girl to the guy. And there seems to be a lot of weapons. Playing at hard is suicide!

Best 20$ I ever spent on videogames! BELIEVE THE HYPE!

I too was surprised by Onechanbara 2; seems improved enough over the original to actually be fun for more than five minutes this time around! I got it but only played it a little; did I see something about tag team attacks in the game now?

shuri

Banned
You can do combos by switching girls in midcombos that's for sure. I'm not sure if you can do team moves. I never tried the two first games, but this one is a solid dynasty warrior clone with zombies, blood and decapitations. I actually like it more than dw :lol

And Ambulances vs Zombies comes out in two weeks.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
bloke said:
they already published first Oneechanbara game (titled Zombie Zone) along with bunch of other Simple2000 crap.

They localized the first EDF, too, as Monster Attack, if you call borders, no 60hz mode, and simply ripping out all of the screaming radio communication rather than attempting to re-record it a localization.

There's a decentish comparison chart at http://fujicity.cogia.net/505/ though it's a little old and a little off -- off the top of my head Zombie Attack is actually The Kyonshi Panic, not Oneechanbara, obviously.

bloke

brandonnn said:
They localized the first EDF, too, as Monster Attack...
Wasn't that done by Agetec Europe?

http://fujicity.cogia.net/505/ said:
PS2 Range Unknown
European Name Japanese Name Release Date
Gunslinger Unknown January-March 2006
Wow, if that's Gunslinger Girl then \o/

duckroll

I put this AWESOME GOTY game back into my PS2 after being done with Shin Onimusha, and whoa it still kicks the shit out of everything else (besides Ryu ga Gotoku!) so far! :lol

Played missions 14 to 21 today. Holy shit 21 is a BITCH. It was like the ultimate pest control mission ever (which I FAILED >_<). I took out the ant infestations and their nests, I took out the wasp infestations and their nests, hell I even laid waste to half the city. Then the goddamn motherfucking SPIDERS appeared! SPIDERS THE BANE OF POOR DUCK! I was outnumbered, outrun and covered with white sticky substances before long and my life came to an end. Any advice for good anti-spider weapons? I'm using the soldier dude and a weapon combo set of a rocket launcher (2 shot, great damage, fast reload) and a machine gun (120 bullets, 16 damage, fast reload). The combo works great on the ants and wasps but the spiders just fucking own me. :(

Sho Nuff said:
Note: Don't forget to change the control to TECHNICAL mode and increase sensitivity to 1.0 for perfect Halo-style controls.

finally picked this up, figured it could use a good bump. how do you change said controls?

edit: and how do you play as the girl?

edit #2: never mind, found both through trial and error. to state the obvious, this game rocks.

LAMBO said:
Any chance for a US release? I don't want to buy swapmagic for one game.

Why don't you buy a Harddisc, you can get an 80gb pretty cheap. Then you can use HD Loader to play the game. You can also but stuff like Black, Dragon Quest, Winning Eleven, GT4 and many other games and remove annoying load times and improve the life of your console.

There really is no reason not to switch to HD based gaming, not just the ability to play imports but improved load times and increase lifespan for console all for the price of a HD.

If you are really cheap you could probably salavge a HD from an old desktop PC that would work in the PS2.

Sequel to this is coming out on Xbox 360...if Microsoft gets good at acquiring games like this, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet (all just a BIT more action oriented than normal to put it lightly...) the system will have a "Mega Drive" feel. Mega Drive was all about the shooting action in Japan. In my opinion, the "Mega Drive" style consoles have been:

Turbo/Turbo Duo/etc
Mega Drive
NEO GEO
Saturn
Dreamcast
2002-2006 era PS2 (there was basically nothing else! complete and utter domination)
Possibly now Xbox 360??

I don't think it would be a bad thing for Microsoft to aim for this level of success by focusing on the hardcore gamers and then having those games make lots of western gamers very happy. It would mean 2 to 3 million consoles by end of 2006, 5 million by end of 2007, maybe 8 to 10 million by the next year. It would be a lot better than the first Xbox did...

It would be interesting to see games like this on XBLA, if they can get the download small enough...

can anyone please translate the weapon categories in the game? i'm fairly far in, but it's still a bitch figuring out which is which when i forget.

edit: ok, i just re-read the OP. don't tell me there's a way to actually drive the tanks...?

Nevermind, just watch the clips.

*Instant Purchase*

Why isn't this game tweaked and released for the US?
Seriously, advertising it would be so easy.
Just claim that if you buy it your PS2 will allow you to jack into the matrix.
Then show a 10 second clip of the game to fucking prove it. :lol

duckroll

Okay, after a several month haitus, I'm back to playing this game. It's amazing how easy it is to just pick it up and play. Cleared a bunch more missions, here are some comments:

So I did the 4-part underground mission. At first I was concerned that it was just a bunch of random missions underground with shitloads of enemies. I did notice that there was a natural progression as far as the stage design was going. You started in an open area in the first mission with tons of ants, in the second mission you entered the catacomb-like tunnels with tons of ants and SPIDERS, and in the third and what I thought was the final mission you were on another side of the tunnels with massing forces coming at you.

Then I played the fourth and final mission.... Underground Hell. WOW. That last tunnel that led to the nest, and the giant queen.... I was totally blown away because I didn't expect it at all. After getting over the fear of the sheer size of the queen in a clastraphobic area, I just shot away with the CoreLauncher-DD. I almost died from the poison gas, and after the queen fell the mission DIDN'T END! I had to grab the health items around asap before I progress out into the nest and realized I was going to clear it all out. That was so goddamn satisfying after the previous 3 missions. It really makes me feel like I'm accomplishing a major goal in the game and this is what action gaming should be all about.

Centipede missions = FUCKING AWESOME. Clearing out the hoards of spiders coming from the horizon in the ruined city at dusk = FUCKING AWESOME. I'm now at the mission where you fight 3 motherships dropping ants and spiders, surrounded by smaller UFOs and tripods coming from the distance. This is what alien war games should be all about! :D

Now a few thoughts about EDF2's game design... I've noticed that the game design resembles the concepts of action games in the early 90s. This is probably the reason why it feels so familiar and awesome to most of us. The game has no narrative story, no cutscenes, no mission briefings. Yet the entire scope and story is conveyed in the actual missions and gameplay.

You just need to know that you're a soldier fighting a war against aliens invading earth, but every mission shows you a new side of the war, and every few missions culmilate in you winning a major goal - be it defeating a giant varient of a monster, beating a mothership, or clearing out a nest. The missions leading up to the major goal is always themed such that you're facing a certain threat which has a source and when you get to the source and beat it, because you've been fighting and likely dying from the trouble the source has been releasing, you feel AWESOME. Everything else about the setting you can make up on your own as it doesn't matter. EDF2 is truly one of the BEST action games to come in many many years.

Tain

werd lyfe.

Really, it's easily one of the best games of 2005. It's such a shame about the framerate (PC/360 version please), but that's really the only complaint you can make about this.

pubba

Now this still has me stumped...
What a terrible, terrible game...
GAF came through with the Ouendan and Phoenix Wright love, but damn - This game made my head hurt
If anyone wants to buy my copy - send me an offer via PM - PLEASE!!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
fun way to beat the lsat stage

destroy the first barrier, drive a bike next to a helicopter, get in the helecopter fly it up in the air, as it gets destroyed get out and land under it. the helicopter wlil push you under ground and youll land on top of the giant ufo, and you can win without getting hurt! actually i forgot how to do it exactly, but its something like this. you may have to get back on the bike, im not sure.

note: this is actually really hard to do

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jiji said:
Note to PAL gamers: this is coming out tomorrow (!) in Europe as "Monster Attack: Invasion." I can only find reference to it on a few Dutch sites, right now, but it's coming.

hmm i wonder what this game will be like in english

duckroll

icecream said:
I just want some news about the 360 version.

And why does Europe get all the Simple 2000 love. :(

Because Europe is not governed by the fuckers known as the SCEA Approval Committee. :(

duckroll

meltpotato said:
so still no NA release? anyone wanna sell a used JPN copy?
pubba said:
GAF came through with the Ouendan and Phoenix Wright love, but damn - This game made my head hurt

What luck! If pubba does not APPRECIATE THE GREATNESS of this game, maybe he can let someone else have a go. :p

Tain

What about this game would prevent it from a US release?

And will the Euro version be dubbed, subbed, or have the audio removed entirely?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
pubba said:

I can't call EDF2 a terrible game, but its frame rate is absolutely ATROCIOUS; I generally have no problem with frame rates in games, but this is just on a whole new level of choppiness. :) It is a budget title though.

Still waiting for info on this and Oneechanbara for XBox 360...

pubba

Ok maybe I was a bit harsh... :)

Did the EDF2 fans here enjoy MURAKUMO? It seems like a very similar game and it has a double digit framerate!

I guess it just didnt grab me like the FROM SOFTWARE titles eg: Crimson Sea 1 and 2 (which I had just completed before importing EDF2)

360 sequel is awesome news, because the fundamental gameplay/concept of EDF2 is fantastic - but why suffer through the horrid framerate and illegible menus etc..

And this is coming from a self-confessed 'Tokyo Bus Guide' fanboy.. So I know my kooky, Jap -only niche titles :D

Edit : Meltpotato - you have PM

duckroll

pubba said:
Did the EDF2 fans here enjoy MURAKUMO? It seems like a very similar game and it has a double digit framerate!

Huh? Wtf does a mech game where you race around an empty city have to do with EDF2? You sure you didn't mean something else? :p

I guess it just didnt grab me like the FROM SOFTWARE titles eg: Crimson Sea 1 and 2 (which I had just completed before importing EDF2)

Now I *really* have you question wtf you're talking about. Crimson Sea is by Koei. :p

360 sequel is awesome news, because the fundamental gameplay/concept of EDF2 is fantastic - but why suffer through the horrid framerate and illegible menus etc..

Illegible menus? o_O

And this is coming from a self-confessed 'Tokyo Bus Guide' fanboy.. So I know my kooky, Jap -only niche titles :D

Based on what you just posted, it just sounds like you don't know anything at all. :p

On another note, I just cleared mission 36!

Holy FUCK! The bait and switch plot-twist "final" mission where you clear out the last infestation of ants in the world after taking down 3 motherships and a bunch of tripods in the previous mission. Seriously, HOLY FUCKING SHIT! If it ran at higher than 10fps, it would be next-gen. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One of my students lent me the first EDF. I really have to find a copy of the second one.

Top Bottom