• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY: Elden Ring or God Of War Ragnarök: Avatar bet

Who takes home the 2022 GOTY?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OsirisBlack

Banned
After playing through both there is no clear-cut winner it is completely a matter of personal taste and or opinion. Both are absolutely amazing depending on what you prefer. I Love the new additions to GOWR but will not post them as they are spoilery as shit. Also the ending is just (chef kiss).

Elden ring, well elden ring. I have beaten the game first playthrough straight up hybrid int/faith/str build first NG+ beat that straight up 80int build using sorceries and great moon sword only. Started a new game straight through DEX build got a different ending this time.

Both games are absolutely amazing I like the structure and linearity of GOWR but I also like the fact that I find something new to do every time I play through Elden Ring.

The winner is
Gamers

DarthPutin

To me Elden Ring for all its virtues was increadibly boring and overall dissapointing, and while I can accept that this type of the game is just not for me (I need something more than aimlessly running arond killing shit for the sake of it), a very similar (on paper) Hollow Knight pulled me in and never let go till the end with combination of amazing music and charming, heartfelt side characters, and creative little details. So it is theoretically possible. The excitement of getting to new area in ER soon was replaced with realization that there is still nothing to do that I couldn't do in other areas of this bloated world. And I like big open worlds, generally speaking.

I am not the biggest GOW fan either but while in ER I constantly wanted something more, with this game it feels like developers have done everything they could, or just about, and you either like this type of game or you don't. And the story is intriguing enough to follow it till the end. Personally I'd like more Odin and Thor and less Loki, but can't complain about this.

All that said, I would also bet on Elden Ring. It's just a more exciting success story for the journos, since GOW's success was pretty much expected at this point. A lot of work went into it as well and for a lot of people it's just what they were looking for, so well deserved, I guess. Both games will get many GOTYs.

Samrf89

How’s that? It’s open world demons souls with worse graphics and the only thing going on is a player made character going around killing monsters and getting xp.

Some of you are insane with this whole angle on Elden Ring, but its perfect for today’s audience that is so removed from one the most essential of human’s experiences, stories and characters… metaphorical and allegorical struggles, people who go through shit. In Elden Ring all you go through is a some demonic bitch who is walking around waiting to die.
i mean, we can really get into it if you want.

Boss Man

Ok after progressing a bit further I retract my statement that Ragnarok feels like an expansion. I stand by it not really being an upgrade though, just a fully-fledged parallel path.

Ok after progressing a bit further I retract my statement that Ragnarok feels like an expansion. I stand by it not really being an upgrade though, just a fully-fledged parallel path.
As much as I loved it, GoW 2018 feels like a proof of concept compared to Ragnarok.

I'm hoping Tears of the Kingdom makes Breath of the Wild seem the same.

God of war was great, I thought better than 2018, it has parts that aren’t as good but there are few games that are that complete of an experience. It’s got addictive combat and narratively I think it’s up there with Naughty Dog’s work.

Elden Ring blew my goddamn mind just as an experience. That might be my gotg not just goty

I loved elden ring but i feel like it tapered out in the final act while i feel like GoWR picked up a lot in the finale.

I think god of war will live with me for much longer, especially since its a two part game versus elden ring that kind of feels like more souls at the end of the day.

Some of you are insane with this whole angle on Elden Ring, but its perfect for today’s audience that is so removed from one the most essential of human’s experiences, stories and characters… metaphorical and allegorical struggles, people who go through shit. In Elden Ring all you go through is a some demonic bitch who is walking around waiting to die.

In GOW, characters go through all this.

In Elden Ring, you as player under go all this.

It forges a deeper connection.

Ragnarok one of the best games ever made who cares about goty keep that trinket

Already given up?

You must be smoking rocks. Only thing you go through in Elden Ring is a combat challenge.

It's art style is special. Strong suite of all From Soft games.

But here you see magnificent structures from afar piquing your curiosity.

Encouraging exploration. And it's amply rewarded with way too many weapons and armours.

It has a pretty good gameplay loop.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Like what?
It's spoilerish, out of my own adventuring I found a lift down a well that took me to what looked like a whole new world where the sky was shining stars but really it was just the rocks and elements glistening. Was teleported to a flying city really early in the game....a mansion filled with craziness...

None of this was signposted. I don't want to spoil things. If you haven't experienced the majesty of elden ring or it wasn't for you I genuinely feel sorry for you. It was true adventuring where I didn't want to look on the internet or discuss the game with anyone as I wanted to find this stuff on my own....and there was sooooo much. What felt like a never ending amount of content, area, different biomes....worlds....enemies....People.....

It's a genuine masterpiece...not just the word that gets thrown around every 6 months on here. It's a once in a generation game. The dlc will be magic.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
but its perfect for today’s audience that is so removed from one the most essential of human’s experiences, stories and characters… metaphorical and allegorical struggles, people who go through shit.

It’s not that I don’t care for that, it’s just that the delivery in general (GoW 2018, TLoU 2 being prime examples) is hamfisted, contrived and just poorly executed in general (y)

Airbus Jr

Banned
nVKAYde.jpg

RickSanchez

Rules

• Votes are publicly available
  • You CAN NOT change your vote
  • Voters are able to suggest losers' avatar
  • Only participants (voters) are able to make avatar suggestions
  • Honorable judges will pick and make available a pool of the suggested avatars for losers to use
  • Losers' avatar should be changed upon losing the bet
  • Avatars must be used until 12:01am 1/1/2023
  • OP won't participate in order to be unbiased in avatar selection. His vote is only to be able to see voters list.
  • BY VOTING YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE BET
  • NO OTHER GOTY CONTENDERS WILL BE CONSIDERED
  • AVATAR BET IS VOIDED IF NEITHER WIN
  • THE GAME AWARDS ON DECEMBER 8th (Hosted by Geoff Keighley) WILL DECIDE YOUR FATE

The avatar bet thread for GOW:R was such fun, I thought, why not create another one?

(Shoutout to .Pennywise for the excellent thread template)
i'm new here. How do you participate/vote ?

Flutta

Banned
I’ve not been enjoying myself with GOWR so far and i think i’m about 70% in already. ER on the other hand i had a blast from start to finish.

ER deserves this GOTY imo. Will have to relpay ER or Sekiro when i’m done with GOWR just so i can remove this bad taste from my mouth.

REDRZA MWS

This is really rough because God of War is my favorite series. I’m gonna have to give the nod to ER though. For the perfection (finally) of the open world, and the sheer size and a cop of the game. Not by much, but slightly give it to ER.

Elden Ring already getting some support.

Fextralife does Elden Ring builds. But listening to podcast the conversation seems to be 'god of war is a great game elden ring is a generation defining game'...one said if elden ring doesn win goty its a loss for gaming and I agree. It's revolutionary.

Perfectly put. God of war R is good but Elden Ring is a genre defining game and a game of a generation and one of the best games of all time. Easy clap for Elden Ring.

Mhm I also think that elden ring was great and I've only missed 3 optional bosses on my first playthrough. (I did though find and beat melania)

I don't however see the reason why its genre defining. Its an open world souls game with enough of copy paste places and dungeons and bosses fore to remember that in a negative way. Sure its still a lot better then other games but nonetheless true.

If you wanted to you could say Elden Ring is an Ubisofty open World Soulslike without map icons and questjournal

Last edited:

Fake

Yeah there is nothing revolutionary about Elden Ring, lol. It's literally open world Souls. And that's great. But a revolution it is not.

With all due respect to GoW, there are nothing revolutionary on GoW: Ragnarok as well.

If is there, you're making mistake with the GoW 2016 with indeed was revolutionary. GoW: Ragnarok feels just like a continuation.

MagnesD3

Just finished Ragnarok, Elden Ring has this in the bag FREE, I think 2018 is amazing but this game is just good because of how much it leans on 2018's great combat. (story might be one of the worst in the series imo..)

Last edited:
i'm balls deep for elden ring but GOW looks great. i'm biased and more of a RPG dude. it's all about personal taste i guess. hard to be objective while balls deep.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Transcendent game of the generation from the world's best director and studio at the peak of their craft vs half-baked expansion pack to a mediocre and repetitive game about slowly scooting through cracks in the wall

Tough call
giphy.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The more I play god of war ragnarok....while a decent enough game....the more I know in my heart Elden Ring has this in the bag, absolutely no contest....and a number on an aggregate website doesn't come close to highlighting the gulf between the two games.

Top Bottom