• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Governor Cuomo suddenly wants to reopen New York. "We simply cannot afford to stay closed until the vaccine hits"

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
Ray Liotta Lol GIF

tillbot8

Banned
Aug 4, 2020
Now how about that for convenient timing. But he such a 'good' guy so I'm just being silly. Hope Grandma won't die. But if she is not imprisoned in a nursing home she will probably have a better chance out in the open anyway. So thank you Liberal politician once again you came through for us plebs!

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
trump was never wrong about needing to re-open businesses, it just has to be done safely. at some point the businesses will lose so much money there will cease to exist. NYC (all businesses large and small) aren't going to get better until there's herd immunity. he's in a tough spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitmap Frogs
May 22, 2018
I'm sure he is feeling an enormous amount of pressure from local businesses, but this is still a bad idea. At least give the vaccine a bit longer to trickle out. Even a delay of a few weeks would make a difference I bet.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Does that mean we get to take away his Emmy?

What you're seeing here is the Democrat establishment easing off the lockdowns now that it'll be Biden's economy instead of Trump's economy.

Anybody care to offer an alternate explanation for why Cuomo is switching from "But what about Grandma." to "Fuck Grandma, I need a latte." ????

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Sure only 2 weeks to flatten the curve amiright!
Probably not. But it wouldn't hurt to try. If he really is just going to open no matter what a delay of any kind would be preferable.

I feel like this is a decision being made to spite Trump rather than one being made with the health and safety of citizens in mind.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
And just like magic COVID will go away by the inauguration. Maybe a few weeks beyond. As Biden would say, it being the GrEaTeSt ThReAt EvEr was such a Big Lie that it will take a while even for our braindead country to digest the opposite.

I can't wait for articles to start posting the actual stats and talking about how it is not much worse than the flu.

Last edited:

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
Probably not. But it wouldn't hurt to try. If he really is just going to open no matter what a delay of any kind would be preferable.

I feel like this is a decision being made to spite Trump rather than one being made with the health and safety of citizens in mind.

That’s exactly what it looks like to the outside. Why now all of a sudden? If I’m not mistaken, we’re still not through the current wave.

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
And just like magic COVID will go away by the inauguration. Maybe a few weeks beyond. As Biden would say, it being the GrEaTeSt ThReAt EvEr was such a Big Lie that it will take a while even for our braindead countey to digest the opposite.

I can't wait for articles to start posting the actual stats and talking about how it is not much worse than the flu.

Don’t worry, Joe will take all the credit for everything reopening and the vaccine being a success.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Sep 2, 2007
In addition to all the reasons already mentioned in this thread, I wonder if he's seeing 2020 economic data for the state including tax receipts and shitting his pants?

May 22, 2018
And just like magic COVID will go away by the inauguration. Maybe a few weeks beyond. As Biden would say, it being the GrEaTeSt ThReAt EvEr was such a Big Lie that it will take a while even for our braindead countey to digest the opposite.

We have already been over this. Covid has already been shown to be 5 times deadlier that the deadliest flu season in the last ten years according to the data gathered by the CDC.

Stop comparing it to the flu. You know better by now.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Dacon and Dudacus

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
In my opinion this scumbag sold out his constituents to help his party consolidate power, and is now afraid of his own power being stripped by the same constituents he sold out previously.

njr

Jan 26, 2009
We're failing to vaccinate rapidly in the state, there's been averages of 9000 vaccinations per day. Cuomo decided to impose $1 Million fines for administering the vaccine out of order. DeBlasio decided to ignore his rules the other day to allow 75+ year olds to get the vaccine, and Cuomo undercut him 2 hours later. The articles about vaccines being thrown in the trash were not a good look for him. Not to mention the mess that was him allowing nursing homes to take covid patients and then write a book about leadership, he's mostly animated by his feud with DeBlasio.

Reactions: cryptoadam

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
We have already been over this. Covid has already been shown to be 5 times deadlier that the deadliest flu season in the last ten years according to the data gathered by the CDC.

Shouldn't we do a fifth of what we do to fight COVID for the flu?

And those numbers are:

1. With the flu having a decently effective vaccine
2. COVID having no vaccine
3. COVID lasting over a longer period of time
4. Flu deaths being known to be underreported because it is rarely the final cause of death

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RedVIper

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
We're failing to vaccinate rapidly in the state, there's been averages of 9000 vaccinations per day. Cuomo decided to impose $1 Million fines for administering the vaccine out of order. DeBlasio decided to ignore his rules the other day to allow 75+ year olds to get the vaccine, and Cuomo undercut him 2 hours later. The articles about vaccines being thrown in the trash were not a good look for him. Not to mention the mess that was him allowing nursing homes to take covid patients and then write a book about leadership, he's mostly animated by his feud with DeBlasio.

DeBlasio is a dumb ass. Really all the people giving out the vaccines are. It should be giving to the workbase of the country first, particularly people who travel. That would cut spread dramatically.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: CGiRanger
May 22, 2018
Shouldn't we do a fifth of what we do to fight COVID for the flu?
Yes we should. If the nation ends up experiencing an uncommonly deadly flu season in the future I would absolutely support the encouragement of masks or social distancing by local officials of the places that are being hit the hardest. Or even just have the precautions encouraged during the average flu season. Have it mentioned on the news a few times leading up to the usual flu season. No shutdowns. No stimulus. No reduced capacity. Just a "Hey everybody flu season is starting soon. Don't forget to be careful. Wear a mask if you frequently interact with the elderly or just try social distancing if possible!". If it even saves a handful of lives then it would be worth it.

My stance has never been "never do anything about the flu". It's just been to dispel the ridiculous notion that Covid disaster of the past year is comparable to the common flu. It's just not. The numbers back it up.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: NeilH1982

CrankyJay™

Oct 25, 2017

Outsource it to private enterprise. Government at any level can't handle something as large and critical as a vaccine rollout.

Reactions: Hari Seldon

Umbral

May 7, 2020
Now that Joe and Officer Harris are in, they can now take off the mask we all knew they were wearing.

Once it was certain they were in, they started banning in coordination with the big tech companies and now they will one by one start to flip on their COVID stances, scientists included, since scientists are now activists just as journalists are. It was all political. They ruined people’s lives, caused enormous suffering, and surely drove a lot of people to suicide...for political gain. It is evil.

Feb 3, 2015
Good lord the posters here. People actually believe the lockdowns are justified and do anything to slow the spread? Despite having been locked down for months?
Just as long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed. We want to make sure other procedures continue.

They just need to HTFU and give old people the vaccine then reopen completely.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Dacon

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
I don’t care who was right or who gets the trophies. Stop the fucking lockdowns please. They are breaking our economy, and hurting more than anything.

Last edited:

Bobnob

Jun 8, 2013
That’s exactly what it looks like to the outside. Why now all of a sudden? If I’m not mistaken, we’re still not through the current wave.
Mate you've only just got the British strain what is said to be 70% more infectious, now would literally be the worst time to open.Over here the virus is still spreading even tho we're on full lockdown
Good lord the posters here. People actually believe the lockdowns are justified and do anything to slow the spread? Despite having been locked down for months?
In the first lockdown (before the new strain) over here the government shown us the stats, deaths and hospitalizations went down significantly.Problem is we open up and let the new strain get a grip.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TKOFromTokyo

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa

I have said this many times but it bares repeating. Comparing any COVID number to flu number is completely disingenuous.

1. We don't test for the flu by PCR test run to 40 cycles, which at that point is definitely not a test of active infection.
2. We don't test asymptomatic people for the flu.
3. We don't test every patient that enters the hospital for the flu.
4. We don't list someone as a flu death unless that is the primary cause of death, ie they died of a common side affect of the flu, like pneumonia. If you die with COVID, even from a way that is not likely to be a complication of COVID, you are listed as a COVID death in the US.

We do all those things for COVID deaths. There are ways to control for these differences in methodologies but it is not going to paint the story you want to paint, of 5x the death rate of a flu season. For example, you can look at pneumonia deaths with positive COVID tests vs flu deaths.

To be intellectually honest, trying to control for these differences in methodology would probably make COVID look more deadly as % of infection, the COVID Case fatality rate (total infections would go way down, but deaths wouldn't go down as much.), but also less deadly in absolute terms (how many people died because of COVID this year.)

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Flip floptrump was never wrong about needing to re-open businesses, it just has to be done safely. at some point the businesses will lose so much money there will cease to exist. NYC (all businesses large and small) aren't going to get better until there's herd immunity. he's in a tough spot.
Are You Kidding Me Episode 2 GIF by Big Little Lies

Comedy Central Reaction GIF by Drunk History

lisa simpson protest GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Dacon

The Hate

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Aug 13, 2020
Sure only 2 weeks to flatten the curve amiright!
2 more weeks means 2 more weeks of people inoculated, meaning they wont be carries anymore and it can lower the spread from person to person within their field of contacts.

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014
Fauci changes his tune multiple times and none of them bat an eyelash.

decisions

Jun 16, 2015

The lockdowns stopped following the science a long time ago. There is something hilarious about the entire population walking around in masks that meet no medical standard whatsoever.