• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Governor Schwarzenegger comments on the Capitol Attack

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Not as many times as Trump has condemned white supremacy though, so he needs to do more.

All the aforementioned explosives were elsewhere, none of that was brought inside or even particularly close to the action. This doesn't really add weight to the idea that what transpired was "an insurrection" or a "coup attempt".
The guy in the photo has a handgun holstered with zip ties to be used as temporary restraints. If you don't think there's enough there, then yeah, seems you won't be here on the political side much longer.

Reactions: ArtemisClydeFrog

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
The guy in the photo has a handgun holstered with zip ties to be used as temporary restraints. If you don't think there's enough there, then yeah, seems you won't be here on the political side much longer.
I can't really see a gun in the picture. If that's it on his right hip, it looks tiny. Nevertheless, I still don't see one guy making it in there with a handgun as a legitimate "coup attempt". What exactly was he going to accomplish? Are you doing to tell me there were dozens or hundreds in there armed to the teeth? Because basically all the pics I've seen are of randos milling around doing basically nothing. Terms like "insurrection" and "coup attempt" are being used to sensationalize and whip people into a frenzy, and it's apparently working.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
I can't really see a gun in the picture. If that's it on his right hip, it looks tiny. Nevertheless, I still don't see one guy making it in there with a handgun as a legitimate "coup attempt". What exactly was he going to accomplish? Are you doing to tell me there were dozens or hundreds in there armed to the teeth? Because basically all the pics I've seen are of randos milling around doing basically nothing. Terms like "insurrection" and "coup attempt" are being used to sensationalize and whip people into a frenzy, and it's apparently working.

Since when does the size of a gun matter?

Regardless, I'm not going to debate semantics with you. If you don't think the words, coup or insurrection apply, that's your prerogative.To me, they seem to match what occurred pretty well.

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Since when does the size of a gun matter?

Regardless, I'm not going to debate semantics with you. If you don't think the words, coup or insurrection apply, that's your prerogative.To me, they seem to match what occurred pretty well.
Agree to disagree. That's fine with me at this point. Hopefully you were extremely critical of the 'summer of love' riots last year during which many American cities were literally on fire off and on for months.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Except it wasn't protesting though. And neither was storming the Capitol. It seems that a lot of people suffer from insufferable hypocrisy unable to see and judge fairly. The majority of people who go out to vote that aren't deep into politics just want fairness and for someone to be consistent with their judgement. Is it really that hard to ask? This will be the downfall of the left by the way. Unable to see their own hypocrisy will eat at them and destroy them in the end.

There WERE protests that didn't devolve into riots... The protests (peaceful) were largely during the day. The riots happened at night. Here in Atlanta, while going to and from work, I saw plenty of people boarding the trains with signs and they were cheerful and diverse. The rioting lasted like 2 or 3 days. MAYBE 5. Mayor Lance-Bottoms put a kibosh to it and we didn't hear about another riot after that. Nothing like LA or any other major city

Also there were protests in other cities not as large as Atlanta that never had a riot.

Like Governor Schwarzenegger said... People allowed the riots to color their perception of the whole movement. As if it was nothing but riots. But whatever. Breitbart, The Daily Caller, etc are OBVIOUSLY the truth.

Reactions: EviLore

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
Oh... And it was a coup attempt when Trump said to go down to the Capitol and fight for our country... And they raided the Capitol ... Why else were they there but to stop the confirmation process? They were whipped into a frenzy thinking they were having a revolution (their words...not mine). So revolution was to overthrow the confirmation process... They beat guards/Capitol police... The ones they're SUPPOSED to have such regard for... Guess that went out the window (no pun intended) when it's about defending Trump.

Reactions: EviLore

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
itt people voluntarily blind at the difference between the blm riots and a group assaulting the seat of power during the transfer of power in the name of the president that didnt want to give the power away

Last edited:

spootime

Jul 27, 2007
These people are complete fucking losers though. The absolute scum of American society. Their motivations are completely separate from their inability to accomplish anything.

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
Nah, it was on-par with the BLM riots too. The biggest difference is this time it was the seat of democracy that got broken into and vandalized. I'm more frightened to see how easily over capitol was overtaken. Thank god these people were not competent. Truly terrifying shit.

THIS, if they were actually well organised instead of a bunch of dumb fucks this could have ended very badly and would have been one of the greatest political tragedies in the history of the USA.

It's ok to point to both sides but let's not downplay the significance of what could have happenned here

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
It's ok to point to both sides but let's not downplay the significance of what could have happenned here
It definitely did seem way too easy for people to get in there. I saw videos of police moving barricades aside and the like, and haven't seen a good explanation for it. It's beyond me why there was not more manpower since they knew in advance hundreds of thousands of protesters would be in the area.

Xenon

Half the lives in the House were at stake these people could have died by the mobs murderous bloodthirsty hands. Attacking the halls of government is wrong, protestors should turn their rage not on the government but private business and innocent citizens. This has shown to be the only ACCEPTABLE way to affect change.

Th people who killed the cop should be tried for murder, the rest should face the penalties for what they did. But after the last seven months, this is just a continued path to crazy not some leap people are trying to make it out to be,

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL

Half the lives in the House were at stake these people could have died by the mobs murderous bloodthirsty hands. Attacking the halls of government is wrong, protestors should turn their rage not on the government but private business and innocent citizens. This has shown to be the only ACCEPTABLE way to affect change.

Th people who killed the cop should be tried for murder, the rest should face the penalties for what they did. But after the last seven months, this is just a continued path to crazy not some leap people are trying to make it out to be,
All three of those are interconnected, none is exclusive to the other. If 1 of them falls, all of them fall. This wasn't some random attack on 1 State Senator, this was an attack to on the United States Capitol to overturn a free and fair election. There is nothing more sacred in our way of government, than the peaceful transfer of power. It is what sets us apart from monarchies and dictatorships. A sitting President denying the results certified by the 50 states, and the congress of the United States while asking the VP to unilaterally reject the will of the voters in various states. You had enemies of the state inside the capitol building looking for the VP and Speaker of the house. Do you know how insane that is?

Reactions: DeafTourette

Xenon

All three of those are interconnected, none is exclusive to the other. If 1 of them falls, all of them fall. This wasn't some random attack on 1 State Senator, this was an attack to on the United States Capitol to overturn a free and fair election. There is nothing more sacred in our way of government, than the peaceful transfer of power. It is what sets us apart from monarchies and dictatorships. A sitting President denying the results certified by the 50 states, and the congress of the United States while asking the VP to unilaterally reject the will of the voters in various states. You had enemies of the state inside the capitol building looking for the VP and Speaker of the house. Do you know how insane that is?

Sadly that ship sailed 4 years ago. I dont agree with what those people have done, but to ignore the relentless attempts to unseat the last elected president is willful ignorance. Besides power is not exclusive to the government. In the last few days non elected companies have seized it openly and apologetically.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Sadly that ship sailed 4 years ago. I dont agree with what those people have done, but to ignore the relentless attempts to unseat the last elected president is willful ignorance. Besides power is not exclusive to the government. In the last few days non elected companies have seized it openly and apologetically.
The investigations and impeachment were constitutional. Sending a mob to seize the Capitol and overturn the election is not.

ruvikx

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President.”
And when one side is so blatantly attempting to redefine what that country is (whilst shitting all over its founding European stock, i.e. one small example among a million others (7) Biden on rebuilding: "Our priority is going to be black, latino, asian, native amercan, and women owned small businesses" | NeoGAF), don't act all surprised when people get pissed off.

America's political divide is only just getting started, i.e. it's pretty much evident neither side can agree on what they want for the country because the policies involved are destructive in some way or another to a particular group (for example if you're a white man in America, why in the name of God would you support the dems? It's masochistic).

SlimySnake

Feb 5, 2013
I get the comparison he's trying to make. The comparison isnt exactly about Proud Boys = Nazis, he's talking about the good people like his dad and his neighbors who got swept up in the moment, and essentially allowed someone like hitler and the nazi party to take over. They didnt speak up when there was still a chance Hitler could've been reigned in or forced to resign. They all went along in one way or another even if they didnt support Hitler.

I saw a lot of this happen over the last few years. Was watching Meet the Press just now and Chuck Todd had a bunch of Republican lawmakers who are now calling for Trump's resignation. They kept saying how they didnt see it coming, but Chuck had their own quotes from 2015 and 2016 where they warned that Trump would do exactly this. And yet after he was elected, they all went along anyway and legitimized him. I guess passing three supreme court justices and tax cuts for the rich was worth it in their eyes, but the fact remains that a lot of these people sat on the sidelines and did nothing while this man brainwashed, mislead and turned half of the country against itself.

I saw several of my coworkers go from hating him in the Primaries to full on supporting him by election night. The way they changed their opinion about him was very unsettling because he had only doubled down on the things they hated about him. these are good hard working americans who just got swept up in the hype. Luckily, no senator or congressman died so they wont have that guilt Arnold is talking about, but the parallels are there. Not all Germans were racists or hated jews. Hell, they loved Jesse Owens. Not all Republican voters wanted kids in cages or to kill the media or hang Mike Pence, but they didnt speak up either and legitimized him as the rest of the country watched in horror.

There is hope. I see those republican coworkers admit they were wrong about him. I hope the republicans understand that they cannot let QANON take over their party.

Last edited:

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas

If the people who rushed the Capitol really wanted to murder these people, there was nothing that could have stopped them.

These people were committed to nothing, they were larpers playing at revolution without the will to commit to the bit. When Babbit was shot I was legitimately surprised this didn't rouse the mob into a bloodthirsty fervor. I thought for sure shit was about to erupt in the worst way imaginable, and instead nothing came of it. The so called insurrection whimpered out into nothing.

It was a disorganized mob of people who weren't even sure what they were trying to do, and wouldn't know how to achieve it if they did.

Last edited:

Xenon

The investigations and impeachment were constitutional. Sending a mob to seize the Capitol and overturn the election is not.

So you seriously believe that that was an outright attack on the capital sent by Trump? That's ridiculous.

Also it was not legal and constitutional. You had members of the FBI forging documents to gain access to spy on a political opponent. You had sitting senators saying there was no proof Underoath but going on news shows saying the exact opposite. This was a direct attempt to undermine the administration and help gain public pressure for an impeachment. Since when is having active branches of the government go after the executive branch constitutional?

If the people who rushed the Capitol really wanted to murder these people, there was nothing that could have stopped them.

These people were committed to nothing, they were larpers playing at revolution without the will to commit to the bit. When Babbit was shot I was legitimately surprised this didn't rouse the mob into a bloodthirsty fervor. I thought for sure shit was about to erupt in the worst way imaginable, and instead nothing came of it. The so called insurrection whimpered out into nothing.

It was a disorganized mob of people who weren't even sure what they were trying to do, and wouldn't know how to achieve it if they did.

Exactly these were a mob of people doing what mobs do getting out of control and causing havoc. Which is why they should pay for what they did. Especially those involved with the death of the officer . Nobody should be above the law. Acting like this was some attempt at overthrowing the government is absurd. There is no doubt that Trump should have been more careful with his language and fueled some of this. But there is nothing that proves he organized or intended it.

Last edited:

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
I don't think I'd ever want to disagree with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Except maybe unless it came to favorite ice cream flavors

I want Cookie Dough, Arnie, I'm sowwy 🤷‍♀️

ruvikx

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I get the comparison he's trying to make. The comparison isnt exactly about Proud Boys = Nazis, he's talking about the good people like his dad and his neighbors who got swept up in the moment, and essentially allowed someone like hitler and the nazi party to take over. They didnt speak up when there was still a chance Hitler could've been reigned in or forced to resign. They all went along in one way or another even if they didnt support Hitler.

I saw a lot of this happen over the last few years. Was watching Meet the Press just now and Chuck Todd had a bunch of Republican lawmakers who are now calling for Trump's resignation. They kept saying how they didnt see it coming, but Chuck had their own quotes from 2015 and 2016 where they warned that Trump would do exactly this. And yet after he was elected, they all went along anyway and legitimized him. I guess passing three supreme court justices and tax cuts for the rich was worth it in their eyes, but the fact remains that a lot of these people sat on the sidelines and did nothing while this man brainwashed, mislead and turned half of the country against itself.

I saw several of my coworkers go from hating him in the Primaries to full on supporting him by election night. The way they changed their opinion about him was very unsettling because he had only doubled down on the things they hated about him. these are good hard working americans who just got swept up in the hype. Luckily, no senator or congressman died so they wont have that guilt Arnold is talking about, but the parallels are there. Not all Germans were racists or hated jews. Hell, they loved Jesse Owens. Not all Republican voters wanted kids in cages or to kill the media or hang Mike Pence, but they didnt speak up either and legitimized him as the rest of the country watched in horror.

There is hope. I see those republican coworkers admit they were wrong about him. I hope the republicans understand that they cannot let QANON take over their party.

Yet it's the democrats who wield corporate power & it's the democrats who control the narrative at a media & academic level. Those so-called "proud boys" or whomever are just a disparate group of nobodies without real means to influence the country - occasional riots & protest movements notwithstanding, i.e. as evident with the BLM movement (or even the 1960's "cultural revolution"), it's not street protests which initiate the change, it's the real life judicial changes by lawmakers, corporate practises & overall pressure to create a new "zeitgeist" by the most powerful groups in the land which usher in the real change. The Hart-Cellar immigration act of 1965 which essentially created the America you see today didn't happen in a vacuum, i.e. it was part of a concerted effort to change America & it succeeded. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a case-in-point, i.e. extremely wealthy, extremely privileged & extremely 'in bed' with the Californian liberal elites (read billionaire corporations). They're the ones with power.

Ergo the comparison with NS Germany isn't exactly valid because it's not the street which gave Hitler power, no, it was the industrialists (Messerschmitt, Mercedes & co) & the army. Why? Because they were terrified of communism & the red terror destroying Germany's very identity & swallowing up their country into a nationless soviet block. Trump doesn't even have an ideological movement behind him (Hitler did).

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
And when one side is so blatantly attempting to redefine what that country is (whilst shitting all over its founding European stock, i.e. one small example among a million others (7) Biden on rebuilding: "Our priority is going to be black, latino, asian, native amercan, and women owned small businesses" | NeoGAF), don't act all surprised when people get pissed off.

America's political divide is only just getting started, i.e. it's pretty much evident neither side can agree on what they want for the country because the policies involved are destructive in some way or another to a particular group (for example if you're a white man in America, why in the name of God would you support the dems? It's masochistic).

You're saying white people are oppressed? And that white people (european stock) are the rightful owners of this country?

ruvikx

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You're saying white people are oppressed? And that white people (european stock) are the rightful owners of this country?

Read my post before hitting the "outrage button". Why would I be saying something which isn't in my post?

Europeans were the founding stock of the United States of America. That's a fact. English & Germans were the predominant groups who settled & built the country whilst the laws & culture was derived from those origins. Fact. Even in recent history (read 100 years ago), America's immigration law of 1924 sought to limit southern or eastern European migration whilst favoring migration from the nothern & Germanic countries of Europe. That's all fact & part of America's history. The Hart-Cellar law of 1965 meanwhile took the opposite route & changed America's demographics forever towards a non-white majority (incoming). That's also a fact.

Meanwhile, in current year politics it doesn't take a genius to recognize the fact democrats & the left have a white people obsession which borders on outright hatred. And I'm hardly the only person to notice this, i.e. widespread concepts like "white privilege" (race baiting fallacy which co-opts Marxist class theories & places a a particular race as the "villains") are too widespread to go unnoticed. Diversity propaganda is everywhere. In fact one of the tenets of the left is open borders precisely because it dilutes the number of white people. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.

So until these groups can be reconciled & the hate stops (it takes two to tango), nothing will improve. There's 70 million Trump voters out there & and you're not going to appeal to them by constantly shitting all over the country they once knew, society they believe in & world they want to live in, so a middle ground must be found.

Until then it'll be non-stop "omg I can't even! you sound like a racist supremacist nazi blablabla!" ad-infinitum.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
Read my post before hitting the "outrage button". Why would I be saying something which isn't in my post?

Europeans were the founding stock of the United States of America. That's a fact. English & Germans were the predominant groups who settled & built the country whilst the laws & culture was derived from those origins. Fact. Even in recent history (read 100 years ago), America's immigration law of 1924 sought to limit southern or eastern European migration whilst favoring migration from the nothern & Germanic countries of Europe. That's all fact & part of America's history. The Hart-Cellar law of 1965 meanwhile took the opposite route & changed America's demographics forever towards a non-white majority (incoming). That's also a fact.

Meanwhile, in current year politics it doesn't take a genius to recognize the fact democrats & the left have a white people obsession which borders on outright hatred. And I'm hardly the only person to notice this, i.e. widespread concepts like "white privilege" (race baiting fallacy which co-opts Marxist class theories & places a a particular race as the "villains") are too widespread to go unnoticed. Diversity propaganda is everywhere. In fact one of the tenets of the left is open borders precisely because it dilutes the number of white people. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.

So until these groups can be reconciled & the hate stops (it takes two to tango), nothing will improve. There's 70 million Trump voters out there & and you're not going to appeal to them by constantly shitting all over the country they once knew, society they believe in & world they want to live in, so a middle ground must be found.

Until then it'll be non-stop "omg I can't even! you sound like a racist supremacist nazi blablabla!" ad-infinitum.

Bloody hell.

danowat

Aug 30, 2014
In fact one of the tenets of the left is open borders precisely because it dilutes the number of white people. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.
I'd love for someone to point me in the direction of that fact.

sw0mp_d0nk3y

Jun 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Arnold's comparison is not as far off as people want to believe. The main reason being only that they were unsuccessful in this attempt. I believe if they actually had caught Pence, Pelosi, or any other Senator or Congress person it is highly likely they would have executed them. I've stated this in another thread to some laughter. They have been calling for executions and hangings, for what they call "treason", and I don't think they are joking around. Most of the crowd certainly wouldn't have wanted it to go that far, but I don't think they would have stopped it at that point. They weren't stopping anyone from fighting (and killing) cops, if they had managed to catch Pelosi or Pence they would have been far more enraged.

The other point I see people making is that none of this is Trump's fault because he told them to be peaceful and didn't explicitly direct them to enter the Capital Building. My opinion is the opposite, Trump uses Mobster speak to give instructions to people, and has been doing it for years. He never tells anyone to directly commit a crime, he says "I hope you can take care of that thing or I will be very disappointing". "You will never take back our country with weakness" after instructing them to march on the Capital Building where all the "very bad people" are committing treason. Rudy encouraged "Trial by combat". Don Jr. encouraged them to be "heroes" not "zeros".

Trump was thrilled when people were breaking into the building, and probably very disappointed when his mob couldn't figure out how to finish the job. He also wasn't impressed with the image his followers projected on tv.

Trump was probably envisioning a much more capable revolutionary army showing up, and although there were plenty of law enforcement and military in the mob, the majority were not the best people.

With this incited, massive crowd combined with the understaffed, unprepared, and in some cases cooperative security at the Capital Building, this disaster could have and probably should have been far worse. People have been manipulated by lies, and prepped to do bad things. Everyone that knows better that doesn't speak out against is complicit. Those who know better, but encourage further manipulation for their own political gain are comparable to Hitler's minions just as Biden compared Hawley and Cruz the other day. Arnold is giving the country a fair comparison and a fair warning, he is a true American Patriot, who loves this country more than most who were born here.

Also it was cool as shit that he pulled out the Conan sword.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jun 7, 2004
Try - just for once - to look into something before you post, instead of just blindly talking about something you have zero knowledge of.

Here are Arnold’s words on the riots last year:

“It is very easy to see the burning buildings and destroyed businesses and look away from the meaning of the protests, or discount them entirely. Believe me, I hate riots as much as anyone, and the violence needs to stop now. Burning businesses and cars didn’t bring meaningful change after Watts or 1968 or the 1992 riots, and it won’t bring change today. These vandals only distract from the important message of the protests.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...chwarzenegger-america-needs-do-better/612442/
Well said.
Way too many of you on here think anti Trump means pro far left. It needs to stop.
Even better said :).it does not have to mean that.
The Office Reaction GIF

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com

Reckheim

Feb 24, 2015
Not as many times as Trump has condemned white supremacy though, so he needs to do more.

All the aforementioned explosives were elsewhere, none of that was brought inside or even particularly close to the action. This doesn't really add weight to the idea that what transpired was "an insurrection" or a "coup attempt".
Yup and the cable ties were only brought in to tidy up the ethernet cables.

/s

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
Powerful speech and mostly true words. However I have a hard time seeing the events of last wednesday as anything other than a protest that got out of hand, not an insurrection nor a coup.

a protest getting out of hand is what antifa/blm did
chaz was an insurrection
the capital hill riot was both an insurrection and a coup. they rushed the capital to change the outcome of the election.

NeilH1982

Jul 9, 2019
a protest getting out of hand is what antifa/blm did
chaz was an insurrection
the capital hill riot was both an insurrection and a coup. they rushed the capital to change the outcome of the election.

Now more news and video's have come out I have to agree with you here. This went way further than a protest getting out of hand

kuncol02

Apr 4, 2020

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President.”
That make's as much sense as saying:
“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the Congress.”

In their minds protesters were staying by the country by trying to protect it from what they considered fraudulent election.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: carlosrox

Bitch Pudding

Oct 3, 2014
Germany
Du bist a gschissana Verräter Arnold. Schleich di und kum nie wieda nach Österreich zruck.

Fuck off Arnold the traitor, never come back to Austria again

Du dummer Penner hast sie doch nicht mehr alle! Hoit da fozn und schleich di selbst!

I totally respect your well-written and thoughtful opinion. But after careful consideration came to the conclusion that I can't agree with it!

girl smile GIF

• Strength

tichamac

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
Can you explain what a poem placed on a statue in the early 1900s has to do with the nation's founding? Or its immigration policy for the its first century? While you people might be triggered by the other poster, they weren't exactly wrong. The US was founded by white people for white people. The Naturalization Act of 1790 lays that out pretty clearly;
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That any Alien being a free white person, who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen thereof...

Last edited:

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Yup and the cable ties were only brought in to tidy up the ethernet cables.

/s
Is one guy bringing zipties into the building enough for you to make the leap to "coup attempt" from "protest getting out of hand, and a small handful of crazies acted crazy"? If so, then agree to disagree.

Reactions: kuncol02