• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPD finally announces prices for their Windows Handheld, "GPD Win 4", configurations. Starting at $799. 4G module $100.

GPD have announced pricing for their new GPD Win 4, a device we listed in our "Steam Deck alternatives" roundup, with the pricing starting at $799.

For that price, you'll get the GPD Win 4 with 16 GB of memory and 512 GB of storage, which is a similar specification to what you'll get with the $649 Steam Deck.

But the GPD Win 4, similar to the AYANEO 2, uses the more powerful AMD 6800U chip, has a six-inch 1080p screen (compared to the Steam Deck's 800p screen) and can support external GPUs natively in a much smaller form factor.

The highest tier model you can get is a 32GB/2TB version which is north of a thousand dollars, selling for $1199.

GPD will also sell an extra 4G module for $100. A 4G (or 5G) module is something we dearly miss on the Steam Deck, as it means you can at least synchronise cloud saves while on the go.
Fix6tDEVsAAk3bU
Fix6v4yVEAAwI2s

win4-size.webp

Read about the full specs of the Win 4 here, https://www.neogaf.com/threads/gpd-...ram-ryzen-7-6800u-2tb-ssd-windows-11.1641450/

So we finally got prices for the configurations on the Win 4 handheld PC. This is the one people constantly compare in design to the PSVITA, and it has a slide-out keypad.

Starting at $799 for 512GB and 16GB of RAM is actually a cheaper than I was expected giving the keyboard, form factor, and hardware specs of the device which is one of the stronger PC handhelds. $999 for the 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD is also pretty decent for the same reasons. I still feel it's overpriced but if you look at the specs compared to other handhelds, that's a bargain.

Also 4G connectivity is a plus, though you'll need to pay $100 extra for it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Smaller than Deck is a minus, not a plus. Pointless to have such a keyboard also, it's basically unusable, just bring up an on screen one if necessary and otherwise connect to a monitor/keyboard for actual tasks of the sort you need to do. Also who knows if that small shell affects 6800U clocks etc.

Kilau

Gold Member
Why wouldn’t you just tether to your phone for Wi-Fi? I did that years ago with my Vita and iPhone to play need for speed.

Kilau

Gold Member
In many places that costs extra, or is limited to a certain amount of data, or both. In the US depending on carrier it can be really costly.
I guess it can, i've had a couple gigabytes of tethering included in my plans for many years.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Love the way it looks but I am having a hard time going back to smaller handhelds after the Deck. Even Switch feels small.
I mean - this is smaller than Switch (almost the size of Switch lite) so definitely on the small size. But it's hard to argue with how pretty it looks - PSP (especially the OG) is still my favourite Handheld design (aesthetically) to date.

That said - I'll argue Deck form-factor isn't perfect either, especially given how small the screen is on it.
I recently got a Zoe, which is just 2cm shorter than Deck, but also comes with a much larger screen, and form factor wise feels pretty perfect.

Kilau

Gold Member
You were playing mobile games with "only" a couple GB of hotspot?

For many games that would fill up very fast.
I could play multiplayer games on my Vita with tethering via my iphone with no issue. "Unlimited" regular data but only a couple GB per month of tethering, after the cap they charge you, but I've never gone over. Personally, I would just use my phone to sync my save games on Steam Deck or one of these.

Elethea

Neo Member
The physical keyboard is kind of a head scratcher given how small the device is, but I never used a Blackberry or those Pre-iPhone mobile devices anyway. Maybe some people prefer it to a virtual keyboard.

I could play multiplayer games on my Vita with tethering via my iphone with no issue. "Unlimited" regular data but only a couple GB per month of tethering, after the cap they charge you, but I've never gone over. Personally, I would just use my phone to sync my save games on Steam Deck or one of these.

Are you outside the US? Because otherwise what you're saying is shocking. I tried tethering my PSP and it was chewing through the data when playing MP, or if I was doing stuff like checking out the custom stage uploads, or uploading my self, in MM powered up.

Kilau

Gold Member
Are you outside the US? Because otherwise what you're saying is shocking. I tried tethering my PSP and it was chewing through the data when playing MP, or if I was doing stuff like checking out the custom stage uploads, or uploading my self, in MM powered up.
In the US. Vita was back when I was on ATT and playing Need for Speed or Killzone. It worked fine but maybe that was because of the type of multiplayer those games have. Now I'm on tmobile and I think hotspot is 7GB max speeds then it slows down.

Tunned

This looks awesome, but I'll just stick to my beloved Steam Deck and wait for the inevitable second generation model. I see no reason to buy any other handheld anymore (within the next 2-3 years).

Rudius

1080p is a waste. The next Steam Deck needs to have Oled at the same resolution, maintaining the 40hz option, at a smaller form factor.

Raphael

Are you able to install the deck's OS on this and would it benefit from all the software optimization features?

if I had the money I would go to Steamdeck
Over this, bigger screen and then it’s Valve so you know it will work well.

But I’m surprised with Gamepass we haven’t seen MS try and enter this space.

Do we really need a physical keyboard with keys of that size? Touch display is good enough for that purpose.

Unless you can set the keys for shortcuts and games.

if I had the money I would go to Steamdeck
Over this, bigger screen and then it’s Valve so you know it will work well.

But I’m surprised with Gamepass we haven’t seen MS try and enter this space.

Why would MS push for a loss leading product in a space dominated by phones where they would make more money and wouldn't have to waste marketing, productions, distribution, and R&D on their own product? Even their own Surface Phone, while it works great for game pass and such, was never marketed for it at a signficant level.

If Microsoft does decide to make a portable device it will be a gaming phone if it ever happens.

ksdixon

Currently weighing options.

Steam Deck seems massive. You people play that in real life, say on the bus, or are you just getting more gaming time in on toilet/in bed etc when TV is in use?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With a heavy mix of nostalgia, GPD is ready to launch the new GPD Win 4 PC handheld. This device packs a Ryzen 7 6800u processor into a small shell, and it improves almost everything that was bad about the GPD Win 3.

The device in this video is a media prototype and was provided to me for this video. If you decide to back this campaign, I will not make any money. The company also did not provide me with any financial incentive for this video.

Last edited:

ksdixon

My bank is gonna eventually hate me. Wait to buy and the wait will receive is going to be brutal. But I also ran across that GPD Win 2 laptop/controller hybrid too, potentially solving a separate use case where I'll be happily scrolling away and want do so some proper typing at speed/length, and I utterly hate typing on touchscreens. I could see me having that around the house and the GPD Win 4 for travelling. Must concentrated/distracted on eventual shiny new toys.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This thing looks awesome, but there's a certain feeling of security dealing with Valve support as opposed to GPD. $799 for the 512GB Win 4 is not too bad of value when compared to the $649 512GB Deck, but compared to $399 +$150 for a DIY 1TB Deck it's not too hot. That said, if I was going to get a 680M handheld this would be the one.

Last edited:
Starting... yikes
That's called "sold at a profit".

Valve is crazy to sell an unlocked device like the Steamdeck at a loss. Gabe probably did it for personal reasons and know he probably wouldn't benefit financially directly. If you worry about value for money in a handheld PC, SteamDeck is your ONLY real option, because it is the only one that is discounted.

Lasha

Currently weighing options.

Steam Deck seems massive. You people play that in real life, say on the bus, or are you just getting more gaming time in on toilet/in bed etc when TV is in use?

The switch already edges on the limit for size when on transit and the deck is bigger. GPD form factor is probably better for commuting on transit or tight travel.

Sleepwalker

Starting at 2x steam decks!

I know they have to turn a profit and cant leverage a huge store like Valve can but there's really not much of a market if they can't compete with the deck price wise.

Klosshufvud

I love the form factor! It's clearly inspired by the legendary Vita design. The sliding screen is also really cool but it also makes me worry about longevity of those cranks. Especially given GPD's reputation. But the 6800U is simply the inferior chip to the Steam Deck Van Gogh for handheld gaming. The low-wattage performance is just too lacking IMO.

I would love to see Valve make an attempt at this. There are so many form factors you can experiment with. One like the NDS with the screen being foldable would also be a nice way to really shrink the device down while simultaneously making the display larger. I guess that could be possible once the chip becomes more energy efficient and they can shrink down battery size and fans. GPD Win 4 is definitely a response to the Steam Deck's shortcomings!

Top Bottom