• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPD Win 4 Specs leaked (Steamdeck competitor) WIn 11, 1920x1080, 16GB or 32GB LPDDR5, Intel AX210 (Wifi6/BT5.2) / LTE Optional

https://deluxe.news/gpd-win-4-specs-leak-shows-latest-steam-deck-competitor-dexerto/
Specs for GPD Win 4 have leaked to Twitter, showing what might be another suitor to the currently-held Steam Deck’s Crown.

GPD has been around for years now, offering small and often powerful handheld devices that run a full version of Windows. The GPD Win 4 handheld PC is their next attempt at quest for the crown as competitors AyaNeo and Valve have grabbed them in recent years.

In late August, the GPD Win 4 revealed itself to the world in a leak, showing off its PSP-like new design, and reports claimed it would have the Ryzen 7 6800U to power it.

now, According to Carrie GolomboThe specs have been leaked to the public by a YouTuber who focuses on this particular niche of PC.

Fb2uuCXWIAANOe5
Fb2uuCbWQAIjtvW

From a quick glance, the upcoming GPD Win 4 is significantly more powerful than the Steam deck. Options for a minimum 1TB drive, as well as up to 32GB of DDR5 RAM, will position it as a more powerful device.

While the Steam Deck supports RDNA 2 via its custom APU, GPD Win 4 already bests it with the 6800U APU rumored to have inside.

Scouring YouTube for tests shows that GTAV will run at 80+FPS on normal settings, while games like Fortnite and Apex Legends will run smoothly at 70+FPS on normal or low settings.

However, where the Steam deck will regularly come out on top is in relation to its price. GPD Win 3, with Intel 11th gen chip, costs upwards of $1000 depending on where you found it. In the meantime, Valve is selling an incredible device for a maximum of $649. In our review of the 256GB version, we found that it handled a lot of games at a solid framerate.

What You Can Expect From GPD Win 4 No Come at such a low price. This will likely be a high-end price tag for the higher specifications it is carrying inside. It also runs Windows 11 – hence the name.

This was one of the more anticipated brands that were announced, but unlike others this one actually has the specs, however price is still up in the air. Since this was a "leak" there's no price yet, but when it's announced, anything over $999 is going to be a hard sell even with these specs. But if they can come up with a price that's more affordable it could possibly compete with the Steam Deck. Distribution is another factor GPD will have to get right.

ksdixon

Is the screen touchscreen?
Or is the circle/square on either side under the controller buttons little mouse trackpads?

Apocryphon

Battery life will be worse than Steam Deck but otherwise the specs are solid. It'll be too expensive for most though.

Barakov

Gold Member
....................I can't trust a twitter user named Cary. Also, I'd love for 2tb nvme/1tb hdd become standard, but I have doubts.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Everything about this handheld gaming PC is great... except for its screen size.

If the Deck's 7" is already a bit small for many games. 6" is going to make them pretty much unplayable.
It's still going to play a lot of games very well, much better than the Deck even, due to better performance and higher screen resolution. But at 6" this is smaller than some smartphones, and there's a bunch of PC games out with HUD and text elements that are going to make it unplayable. For example, sometimes I'd struggle with playing Cyberpunk on the 7" Deck.

The thermal throttling on that is going to be fun.
Nah, with the 6800U configured at 15W, this looks like it's thick enough to house the same fan+heatsink as many laptops that use chips with the same power envelope.
Gary / ThePhawx already tested the Deck's Van Gogh vs. a 6800U and while the first tops its ideal performance curve at 9-10W, the 6800U will top at 16-18W.

Appearance wise this is head and shoulders above the Deck.

Agreed. Looks really nice. I would definitely want one of those if the price was reasonable. I did not buy the Steam Deck due to the lacklustre screen which desperately needs OLED in my opinion and at this point I feel there is no point in buying one now; better to wait for the next model which hopefully will be more powerful and have an OLED screen.

Interfectum

I'm curious would it be possible for steam to block HW from accessing its storefront?
Valve has positioned Steam to benefit from any PC related hardware. Whether you are buying a GPD Win 4 or Steam Deck for gaming, chances are you will be installing Steam on whatever you buy. They win either way. There is literally zero reason for Valve to ever block hardware from reaching their store.

Sentenza

I'm curious would it be possible for steam to block HW from accessing its storefront?
Why should they?

And incidentally if anything going by the "pamphlet" they released recently, they are doing the exact opposite and reaching out for manufacturers to offer customized versions of their OS/UI.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Wrong!
Anything over Steamdeck price is a hard sell.
Fan of the GPD consoles, i had high expectations for GPD Wins and then i the price... I lost interest. Even more after the Steam Deck release. I would be down for a Steam Deck Lite at $250.

zeomax

If it’s more powerful and has more storage, why would it be a hard sell at a higher price ?
Because 399/499 is the sweet spot for gaming consoles. People would rather go down with the specs if they could buy it cheaper instead of paying more for better hardware.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because 399/499 is the sweet spot for gaming consoles. People would rather go down with the specs if they could buy it cheaper instead of paying more for better hardware.

It’s not a standard gaming console, and the $649 512gb model is the most popular Steam deck SKU, with the $549 256gb close behind.

People are buying a deck for $649 and adding $60 512gb microsd cards for games.

Not comparable to a console at all. It’s a PC.

Dorago

It's amazing how many of these types of devices there are now, how affordable they are, and how much functionality they have. Truly a golden age for emulation and on the go PC gaming.

zeomax

It’s not a standard gaming console, and the $649 512gb model is the most popular Steam deck SKU, with the $549 256gb close behind.

People are buying a deck for $649 and adding $60 512gb microsd cards for games.

Not comparable to a console at all. It’s a PC.
Yes it is a PC but still it is more comparable to a console in terms of ease of use.

RayHell

Look nice but it will be pricey.
The real goal isn't to make the best pc handheld, it's to make it decent, affordable and with good battery life.

Last edited:

Raphael

So i guess you can install steamOS on this and have the exact same functionality as the deck, so essentially making this a steamdeck pro+? Still im sure it will be too expensive for me but looks really solid.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Stop treating the steamdeck like a console, it's a PC.
The SteamOS 3 experience on the Deck is a lot closer to a console environment than it is to a PC one. You can buy, install, run and suspend games just like you would with a console.
And with Deck Verified games you don't even need to change any audio or rendering settings, as they come pre-configured to Valve's optimized ones.

I guess my point is that although the Deck is a PC, it can be used purely as a console by people with zero PC savviness.

1080p is too much to run well on a portable device. A high quality 720p oled would be more adequate.
I think 720p is good enough for the Deck's 7" screen, but a higher resolution would have been nicer for text display.
That said, on the Deck I'd definitely prefer 720p OLED than 1080p IPS.

I wonder if iFixit will have 7" OLED displays for the Deck eventually. Even if the interface doesn't support HDR, there should be an enormous difference in the perception of darker environments.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I guess my point is that although the Deck is a PC, it can be used purely as a console by people with zero PC savviness.

Can be and will be. The Steam Deck is a sub-par PC, but an excellent portable console. Most people aren't getting the Steam Deck to use it as an everyday PC even though it could technically be used as such.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
What? They haven't revealed the price yet.
I was talking about the first GPD Win...
They'll stay expensive because Valve is selling steam through the Steam Deck. like consoles, they can do dumping...

GPD cannot do that. Their product isn't a trojan horse like Steam Deck...

Last edited:
Top Bottom