• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GR: More than 4 million people played Stray on PlayStation consoles.

https://gamerant.com/stray-4-million-players-ps4-ps5/
For those unaware, the PlayStation Wrap-Up allows players to see stats relating to all of the games that they played this year. It also provides miscellaneous information about some of the year's biggest titles, which, in the 2022 edition, includes Stray. According to the accompanying infographic in the PS Plus section of the site, 635 thousand basketballs have been dunked in-game, which points to a total player count in the millions.

Dunking a basketball in Stray is somewhat significant, as doing so will unlock one of the game's many trophies. According to the PlayStation app, only 14.2% of players have unlocked the Boom Chat Kalaka trophy in Stray. Combining these two pieces of information reveals that as many as 4,471,831 have played Stray on PlayStation, making it one of the most-played indie games of the past few years.

It's worth noting that this number does not include PC players, nor does it equate to direct sales on PlayStation, as Stray is available for free to PS Plus Extra and Premium subscribers. It's also possible that some players may have dunked the basketball multiple times, though as there's no real benefit to doing so, this seems a little unlikely, assuming the game even tracks additional dunks once the trophy has been unlocked.

So 4 million is the minimum based on the data but is likely perhaps double that or more with PS4/PS5 PS Plus freemium players, and PC which was included in the data in the article. It really has been a very successful indie title, I'm still not really sure why people are so interested in the game but the developers are definitely happy with the downloads and engagement that's for sure.

One of the biggest games of the year.

Jaybe

cat-lick.gif

Lupin25

I was one of those players.

Terrrific atmosphere. Can’t say I loved it more than Sifu but cool little platformer with outstanding artstyle

Edit: Cant tell if this count PS+ Extra too?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was one of those players.

Terrrific atmosphere. Can’t say I loved it more than Sifu but cool little platformer with outstanding artstyle

Edit: Cant tell if this count PS+ Extra too?

It has to......right?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
its a fun game. great to see it did well in numbers, hopefully they will have a bigger budget for the sequel or next game they do

anthony2690

Banned
Annapurna publish some genuinely interesting and unique games, glad to see them having success. :)

I hope they put out a sayonara wild hearts 2 in the future.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Really hated this. Button prompts to jump anywhere ruined it for me and broke immersion. Clean that crud up.

Top Bottom