• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GR: PS5 and Xbox Series are Neck and Neck for 2022 (Up: Nintendo lolz - post #273+)

Who will be crowned UK King of 2022?

• Nintendo

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 60 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ANIMAL1975

You realize what this says about your comprehension skills? quite the self-own.
Self own lol,
Have you even read all posts in the conversation with feynoob to comprehend my point of view?

And about my comprehension skills.
How many foreign languages do you speak? I would love to see your comprehension skills doing this conversation in a Portuguese forum.

'Comprehension skills', 'self-own', what does this say about you? _ getting all this personal on stupid forum discussion about sales... that wasn't even with you lol

Woopah

Even on TVs it would be absurd to compare the sales of a $2K TV vs a $800 one....

It's just stupid. And in this analogy the $2K TV is actually even more expensive because it's supply constrained
It's fine to compare them, just like how it was fine to compare Wii to PS3 or GameCube to Xbox.

Companies offering different price points for consoles is not a reason for them not to be compared and never has been.

He mentioned three first party games which are system sellers. The first two didn't have that much of an impact because they released when the PS5 was in short supply.

You keep going back on your own words, you excluded GOW last time, now you are admitting that he did list GOW with the other two games are are now putting words in his mouth to push a narrative.

A narrative which is unnecessary because there's still another month left in the year and based on the OP the PS5 is still ahead, save the panic for IF Sony doesn't reach the finish line by Jan 1st.

MilkyJoe

Blimey you were quick there SleepyJoe........... Have you got anything to add that hasn't already been stated since.page one?

Poor rebuttal... I have to ask why does it upset you that people can buy a PS5? You have to question why sales of your favourite toy affect you so emotionally.. it's not normal.

John Wick

Poor rebuttal... I have to ask why does it upset you that people can buy a PS5? You have to question why sales of your favourite toy affect you so emotionally.. it's not normal.
SleepyJoe I'm glad PS5's are now available for everyone. Shame it wasn't like this for the first few months of the year. It doesn't affect me I like putting straight dishonest takes by certain shillers.

You have no source for your claims that Series S sales weren’t pretty good. No source for your claims that only XSX supply drove Xbox Series elevated NPD performance.

I'm sorry I don't meticulously keep receipts for every single news article or tweet posted over the course of an entire year like they're for my tax filings. You'll have to forgive me for not prioritizing that too deeply.

But we do have circumstantial evidence, and we actually have some sources (Ampere report, MS's Twitter post denoting combined XBO & Series sales at the time of that posting, or just about, Statista, claims of XBO sold-through numbers, etc.) which can be used to guess with likely probability that Series S isn't moving the types of units you would expect it to given its MSRP in relation to Series X and PS5, and its newness on the market (plus technical advantages) over Switch.

What's the point of referencing that - again - if you're just going to pull a Greenberg and run to VGChartz, though? All I'll say is, a new console only 1.5 years old doesn't need to start free game giveaway promos and pricing discounts in that brand's strongest market unless sold-through volumes are coming up short. This is common sense.

The vast majority of Series S deals around Black Friday were at the $250 price point for the Holiday edition, a 17% discount from launch price 2 years after launch…certainly not the ‘steep discounts’ you’re claiming.

Any deal with gift card stacking would apply to everything sold in store and not isolated to the Series S, so It just seems like warz BS to try to paint a picture of $100 deals.

No, you're now just pulling percentages and figures out your own bum with this claim. How can YOU prove the "vast majority" of Series S deals for Black Friday were at the $250 price point? I can back up my beliefs Series S has had softer-than-expected sales performance, I've done it multiple times in other threads and I know you've read a couple of those. My reasoning and methodology has been fully explained and documented in those cases, just in case people want to know why I stand by the numbers I arrived at.

Maybe some of the gift card stacking would've been open for all products, but that is not always the case. There were also store-specific promos that featured the Series S; you can rummage through any of Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin 's numerous threads over the past 2-3 weeks about Series S deals and see what I mean.

Mr Moose

Phones.

Streaming services.

TV on demand/streaming/browsing/ioT devices.

Modern cars.
Fuck Apple/iPhone!
giphy.webp

The Alien

Banned
It'd be interesting what their allocation looked like. We know Sony made a strong play for the states by pushing large allotments to the US at the expense of Europe and Asia.

Did this have an impact?
How much closer woukd the 2 consoles be in US if they didn't heavy load the US?

🤔

Absolutely blowing my mind that the year Sony has horizon, gran turismo 7 and god of war ragnarok....and launches their new playstation plus service. Microsoft are basically neck and neck with them and have literally nothing but gamepass steady releases of decent content.

Amazing achievement for all tbh, sales are really good across all three consoles. How good is that?

Not worldwide though...😉

God of War was the biggest software in the UK on the retail sales charts. This goes well with the earlier mention that GOW helped make up 38% of PS5 sales.

This means GOW beat MWII as well, though that's not including digital.

Last edited:

jm89

First time in long time Amazon actually have the standalone ps5 for sale without an invite, and it's been in stock for a full day, normally it'd be gone in hours. It's already blasting it's way through the Amazon best sellers charts for the year.

Other big retailers also has a massive restock like Argos and Smyths. I think it will be between switch and ps5 this month for no 1.

Last edited:

reksveks

Daily chart of the 20th
Normal ps5 : 10th
Series S:14th
GoW Ragnarok sku: 27th

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2022-12/videogames

December chart on the 20th
Series S:34th
Normal Switch: 37th
Series X:39th
GoW Ragnarok sku: 51st
OLED Switch: 54th

2022 chart on the 20th

Series S:14th
Series X:24th
Disc PS5: 43rd
OLED Switch: 64th

Will update over the next few days.

P. S. I think Amazon UK is getting slightly less than normal shipments.

edit: seems Amazon UK the seller is now OOS again.

Last edited:

Woopah

First time in long time Amazon actually have the standalone ps5 for sale without an invite, and it's been in stock for a full day, normally it'd be gone in hours. It's already blasting it's way through the Amazon best sellers charts for the year.

Other big retailers also has a massive restock like Argos and Smyths. I think it will be between switch and ps5 this month for no 1.
Agreed. At first I thought Switch was just going to beat PS5, but now I think PS5 will just beat the Switch.

Ozriel

M$FT
Agreed. At first I thought Switch was just going to beat PS5, but now I think PS5 will just beat the Switch.

You’d think so, but a holiday with a massive Pokémon release can’t be sniffed at.

I wonder how Nintendo can pull off a next gen Switch launch with so many Switch consoles still being sold at this stage. How does a kid convince their parent to buy a Switch 2 when they just picked up a Switch?

Woopah

You’d think so, but a holiday with a massive Pokémon release can’t be sniffed at.
Switch will definitely do good numbers for its age, but its definitely slowing down and the UK is one f the weaker major markets for Nintendo .

I wonder how Nintendo can pull off a next gen Switch launch with so many Switch consoles still being sold at this stage. How does a kid convince their parent to buy a Switch 2 when they just picked up a Switch?

They don't need to convince the people who just bought one, you just convince those that bought one 5-6 years ago. At the start of its life Switch 2 can rely on the early adopters who care about power, and third party games that don't run on the base Switch. Then at some point Nintendo will start releasing games only on Switch 2 and that will get even more people to get one.

Elios83

Slightly ot but PS5 has been getting many restocks at different retailers in Italy since last week. It is something that has never happened with this frequence so it could be a sign that finally continental europe is getting a good amount of units and bodes well for December sales.

Last edited:

zzill3

Banned
Thought PS would win it until MS came back with another price cut for series S a week or so ago and it started going up the charts.
PS came back but only in last day or so when stock came back, not sure if that will be enough.

Think MS will beat PS but gonna be close - Switch will win overall though

Ronin_7

Banned
Thought PS would win it until MS came back with another price cut for series S a week or so ago and it started going up the charts.
PS came back but only in last day or so when stock came back, not sure if that will be enough.

Think MS will beat PS but gonna be close - Switch will win overall though
Unlikely, Series S isn't moving at all.

In EU i consider that Console dead until it reaches 99€.

Ps5 is in stock everywhere it's gonna crush Series easily.

twilo99

Considering how strong the Playstation brand is in Europe I am surprised that xbox is in the conversation at all without any good games and of course inferior hardware.

Mr Moose

Considering how strong the Playstation brand is in Europe I am surprised that xbox is in the conversation at all without any good games and of course inferior hardware.
It's the UK, which is Xbox's 2nd biggest market, I believe.
Series S has been top 20 video game best sellers on amazon UK for the entire month. Saying it's not selling is clearly a lie
It's 33.

Last edited:

zzill3

Banned

reksveks

December chart on the 22nd
Series S: 31 (up 2)
GoW Ragnarok sku: 34 (up 12)
Normal Switch: 38 (down 1)
Series X: 41 (nc)
OLED Switch: 54 (nc)
Normal PS5: 82 (nc)

2022 chart on the 22nd

Series S: 14 (nc)
Series X: 23 (up 1)
Disc PS5: 42 (nc)
OLED Switch: 64 (nc)

GOW Ragnarok should be the highest console sku in December

That’s what I thought 😂

Xbox Series X|S are both products of the exact same generation, therefore counted equally towards overall sales. You think when Apple drops a new series of phones or LG drops a new series of TVs they're only counting the most expensive models as a sale?

Season 3 Episode 13 GIF by Paramount+

pasterpl

jm89

It was not in stock at multiple retailers for months, that is the actual FUD. At best some of these retailers would have stock for a few days and then nothing for 2 weeks or more, and some none at all.

All the retailers you posted have had the best stock in december, prior they where all struggling to restock. Even in november stock situation was patchy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom