• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

Riky

$MSFT
Starfield looked amazing from what? An in engine trailer at best? Still no gameplay shown.....
They had Halo, Forza and Flight Sim which were expected....
The likes of Battlefield were multipats.......
They showed CGI for games like usual which means shit........ Until we see the actual gameplay. Remember Everwild???? Amazing CGI but worthless because even the developer didn't even know what game it was lol......
It's funny how HFW, GOW and GT7 are going to be held back by crossgen but FH5 isn't????
Just about everybody and their dog have GP subbed for the next 3 years. It's a no brainer...

Just because you "expect" something it doesn't diminish the quality and value, it was all in engine footage so we have a good indication of when it's coming and they have a stacked schedule from next month onwards, the bar has been raised.

Kerotan

Why did you watch it?
You wasted 90 minutes of your life on something you hate instead of spending that 90 minutes doing something you love.
Very telling about your character.....further amplified by you needing to post ths.
Nah just went through all the announcements and trailers the last 10mins

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
How would someone know if they liked it or not if they didn't bother watching it.
Kerotan is avidly anti Xbox, it doesnt matter what MS showed Kero was going to hate the show.
So why bother watching it if you know...and i mean know you were going to hate it.
I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt actually watch the show and just voted willy nilly.
If its an Xbox exclusive then its trash.

Ooop spoke too soon.
Nah just went through all the announcements and trailers the last 10mins
If you watched all the announcements thats still some 80 minutes of content?
SO you wasted that much time?

And if you didnt watch the announcements how did you grade the conference objectively?

DiscoDave

Kerotan is avidly anti Xbox, it doesnt matter what MS showed Kero was going to hate the show.
So why bother watching it if you know...and i mean know you were going to hate it.
I wouldnt be shocked if he didnt actually watch the show and just voted willy nilly.
If its an Xbox exclusive then its trash.

Ooop spoke too soon.

If you watched all the announcements thats still some 80 minutes of content?
SO you wasted that much time?

And if you didnt watch the announcements how did you grade the conference objectively?
Sorry I have been reading this forum alot before I joined and can pretty much tell who is anti PS or xbox. Guess I missed this one.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Instant A

Insane value for Game Pass. And fact that they ignored pretty much every game from last's year conference (Avowed, Perfect Dark, State of Decay 3, Everwild, Forza Motorsport, Fable, Hellblade II, As Dusk Falls etc.) and still managed to showed first party games like Starfield, Contraband, RedFall, Forza Horizon 5 and The Outer Worlds II is testament how much first party content is in pipeline. We will be feasting.

Stalker 2 looks amazing, Forza Horizon 5 looks borderline incredible. Can't wait what Playground will do with that engine for Fable. Somerville, Party Animals, Replaced were nice surprises, Psychonauts 2 looks great, same for Flight Simulator. Plague Tale 2, Atomic Heart and Back 4 Blood for Game Pass are awesome news.

Shame that Age of Empires IV is not coming to consoles with PC release, but it is what it is.

Also shame that Sony got their dirty hands on Deathloop and GhostWire for one year. If not, we would have Forza Horizon 5, Deathloop, Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2 and GhostWire for this year from first party. But it's just one year and there are already games like Starfield, Stalker 2 and Redfall for next year.

Best Xbox conference in years. Which is not hard thing to do but still.

Also it's funny that Microsoft will have next-gen only games in 2022 while Sony will have cross gen God of War and GT 7. Meaning Stalker 2, RedFall and Starfield. And Forza Motorsport is also slated for 2022 and it is next-gen only.

Last edited:
The one thing that really concerns me about Microsoft is that they still haven’t delivered on their first party promise; this claim that they’re releasing “the biggest exclusive game slate” etc etc. They hype up their first party output, but still have not delivered a new AAA game.

Each conference, they announce a host of new, upcoming games, mostly with CG trailers. Then at the next event, those games are nowhere to be seen, and another slate of CG trailer reveals happen. I want to see GAMEPLAY. They MUST show gameplay to win people over. Why were almost none of last years reveals able to show anything in-game at the event?

I’m cautiously optimistic about their upcoming slate, and I’m excited for quite a few titles, but until I see gameplay and them shipping a polished, acclaimed AAA title, I’m still not fully convinced. They messed up the Halo Infinite reveal badly, and haven’t shown much first party gameplay since.

Last edited:

SomeGit

I'd say B, it was good but either because of leaks or it already being announced, nothing felt too surprising.

The highlights for me were STALKER 2, as a massive fan of SoC it was impressive too see it both look proper next gen AND capture the spirit of the original; Hades, it's a great get for gamepass, put a lot of hours on Switch, will put even more on XSX; FH5, looks stunning and fun as always; Starfield of course, but not enough gameplay to be truly excited.

AoE4 and Shredders will have to try them out, both look interesting.

Why did you watch it?
You wasted 90 minutes of your life on something you hate instead of spending that 90 minutes doing something you love.
Very telling about your character.....further amplified by you needing to post ths.
Supposed to be biggest game related show in E3, enthusiast gamers will watch. They will know afterwards if it's trash or not.

Daymos

The cool, violent western games console. Count me out meh.. it's been the Microsoft image since the start. Creativity, intelligence, originality aren't on Xbox. Watching the conference made me feel depressed

John Wick

The conference was awesome. Way better than Sony's. My broke ass has all platforms, well besides that weak tablet called a Switch. Not wanting to spend money needlessly doesn't mean you're broke, child. It means you're smart with your money.
Awesome? You must have very low standards or must love CGI trailers.
Way better than Sony's? Which Sony conference are you comparing it to?
Weak tablet with some of the best games...

DavidGzz

Awesome? You must have very low standards or must love CGI trailers.
Way better than Sony's? Which Sony conference are you comparing it to?
Weak tablet with some of the best games...

Yeah, awesome looking games coming to Game Pass. On a pro Sony forum, 57.3% gave it an A or B so most agree. Sony didn't have one, so yeah, it's better. I don't like watching or playing cartoons, so yeah, the Switch is useless to me.

Last edited:

John Wick

Yeah, awesome looking games coming to Game Pass. On a pro Sony forum, 57.3% gave it an A or B so most agree. Sony didn't have one, so yeah, it's better. I don't like watching or playing cartoons, so yeah, the Switch is useless to me.
Awesome looking games? So take out FH5, Halo and Flight Sim which all had gameplay, which games looked awesome from actual gameplay?

Loope

Supposed to be biggest game related show in E3, enthusiast gamers will watch. They will know afterwards if it's trash or not.
No GIF

Inviusx

C for me

Aside from some really great stand outs like Stalker 2, Forza and MSFS it was pretty much your average Microsoft E3 press conference.

The "world exclusive" voice over guy was sorely missed.

Thirty7ven

Banned
So which gameplay impressed you so much? Outside of FH5 any of those in engine CGI fests could turn out to be rubbish.

People are mostly happy the show wasn’t a shit fest like it usually is. Par for the course that hyperbole will flow, even if there were no standouts aside from Horizon 5.

“Bar has been raised” 😂, it was a good show though.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean I feel like I am blinded by the situation, where they showed games which I actually really want to play. Like STALKER (this is really big for me), FH: 5, getting Atomic Heart to game-pass. Replaced looked swell and well I got what I wanted, however some bombs could have been deployed and they weren't.

So I lean towards B

Mostly because Arkane is going some shit game, I don't see the reason, when you have Avalanche coupled with XGS is doing basically same thing.

Raekwon26

Wow..............

Based on these FACTS:
- All the noise from the US Media on how Xbox are "ALL IN" and the SERIES Consoles are just so amazing,
- Phil Spencer's PR Bullshit for 8 years. I don't need to post the E3 quotes. The self-righteous garbage about exclusive games and "not showing games that are far out" and so much more.
- Aaron Greenberg's cringe existence.
- Xbox fans hyping up studios and "WHAT XBOX AND PHIL HAVE COOKING".
- The CONSTANT belittlement of what other companies show in regards to CGI to then go and show THIS?
- Halo...... In-Engine.... again. Sad what is going on there.
- ONLY FAR CRY 6 (and FH 5(?) were shown to be running on a Series X.
- STILL no show of the 12 "Tewafloppp" beast and what it can do.

Nah. Fuck the "tempered expectations bullshit".

Sony or NIntendo put out stuff like this, solid F.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
So which gameplay impressed you so much? Outside of FH5 any of those in engine CGI fests could turn out to be rubbish.

In engine is not CGI, please try harder.
Halo Infinite multiplayer looked amazing and that's running at 120fps, no other first party is producing online multiplayer like that.
Flight Simulator just looks incredible for a console game, truly a jaw dropping visual showcase.
Starfield was in engine and looked leaps ahead of Fallout 4, I'm sure the scale of that will be huge, that's what impressed me, the huge online commitment and the sheer scale of the games, that's what I wanted to see.

NahaNago

I kind of feel like it was simply a solid show with nothing that truly impressed me. I guess I'd give it a rating of C+ because it is Microsoft if this was Sony this would be a C- or a D+. I left feeling meh but I think a lot of folks would be interested in the games shown but they had quite a bit of cg for the bigger games. That solidifies it. I really wanted to give it a rating of B but the cg trailers/lack of gameplay bumps it down to a C+.

Starfield debate is complicated. Will the xbox one x version even look like that? At times the game looked amazing and other times I could see weird material effects, plus I did see pop-in in that video so it did make the in engine more believable but at the same time this should be on a powerful pc.

kuncol02

Banned
I mean I feel like I am blinded by the situation, where they showed games which I actually really want to play. Like STALKER (this is really big for me), FH: 5, getting Atomic Heart to game-pass. Replaced looked swell and well I got what I wanted, however some bombs could have been deployed and they weren't.

So I lean towards B

Mostly because Arkane is going some shit game, I don't see the reason, when you have Avalanche coupled with XGS is doing basically same thing.
Avalanche game looks more like tropical Mad Max than traditional shooter from info we get. It's described as "vehicle-first".
I'm also interested in what exactly Arkane means by "immersive shooter". I think that's first time someone used that term. Does that mean that it will be like their previous games but without stealth?

I don’t get the hype over Flight Simulator, tbh. Yeah it looks nice, but when I play a game, I actually want it to be a game. I don’t see how it’s interesting to play FS for more than a half hour, tops. What am I missing?

Last edited:

M1chl

Avalanche game looks more like tropical Mad Max than traditional shooter from info we get. It's described as "vehicle-first".
I'm also interested in what exactly Arkane means by "immersive shooter". I think that's first time someone used that term. Does that mean that it will be like their previous games but without stealth?
Well killing in Arkane games were pretty good. I hope that it's going to be like a Mad Max, because that game is criminally underrated. Will see, however I would kill for official co-op mode in JC3 and 4....

M1chl

I don’t get the hype over Flight Simulator, tbh. Yeah it looks nice, but when I play a game, I actually want it to be a game. I don’t see how it’s interesting to play FS for more than a half hour, tops. What am I missing?
*peak at my PPL certificate* Some people simply likes planes and flying.

Malcolm9

Yeah, I don't get the hard-on for this game either. Flight Simulator games have always looked decent, but are a complete bore fest, more of a niche title than a system seller.

Last edited:
*peak at my PPL certificate* Some people simply likes planes and flying.
Oh in that scenario I totally get it, I more so meant just the general Xbox fan community gushing over the game. From my understanding of it (from watching gameplay), I doubt most people play it for more than a half hour, bar people like yourself with a specific interest in aviation.

Shmunter

In engine is not CGI, please try harder.
Halo Infinite multiplayer looked amazing and that's running at 120fps, no other first party is producing online multiplayer like that.
Flight Simulator just looks incredible for a console game, truly a jaw dropping visual showcase.
Starfield was in engine and looked leaps ahead of Fallout 4, I'm sure the scale of that will be huge, that's what impressed me, the huge online commitment and the sheer scale of the games, that's what I wanted to see.
In engine means nothing itself either tho. Doesn’t mean it’s real-time, doesn’t mean it’s not jacked up lighting or assets or other things that would run at 0.5 FPS, etc.

Don’t believe the lies.

DavidGzz

In engine means nothing itself either tho. Doesn’t mean it’s real-time, doesn’t mean it’s not jacked up lighting or assets or other things that would run at 0.5 FPS, etc.

Don’t believe the lies.

I can't recall but has Bethesda ever pulled a Watchdogs? I don't think they have but could be mistaken. I'm not saying it isn't possible for anyone to, but I don't think they have that kind of track record.

I can't recall but has Bethesda ever pulled a Watchdogs? I don't think they have but could be mistaken. I'm not saying it isn't possible for anyone to, but I don't think they have that kind of track record.

Oblivion was the only example I can think of. I remember watching the first realtime demo and some graphical features in it didn't appear in the final product. That was a long time ago though.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

For me it’s more the idea of flying anywhere in the world and on this scale. It’s never been done in video games before, and to see it with this much detail (only getting better overtime), it brings a unique experience that I can’t wait to get my hands on.

I’ve said previously that Forza Horizon is a nice game to just sit back, and drive around aimlessly sometimes. Therapeutic even. I’m expecting something similar here. I get it not being for everyone though.

Top Bottom