• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gradius V finally coming to PS3 as PS2 Classic

Occam

I'm not sure about lag, but some games are glitchy or have frame rate issues. persona 3 ate saves but got patched. fatal frame 2 was messed up but got patched. there probably is lag too.

That's not what this is about. PS2 emulation has inherent lag on PS3; Sony seemingly never bothered to fix it. For games where every single frame counts, this is really bad.

Wow, this and then Suikoden III is coming to JP PSN. Konami must be looking to get some value out of that catalogue. I just wish it wasn't just for PS3. It's a little late to get a game archive going on that generation. It'll be just as awkward as PS2 to set up to play in a few years.

Tizoc

Wow, this and then Suikoden III is coming to JP PSN. Konami must be looking to get some value out of that catalogue. I just wish it wasn't just for PS3. It's a little late to get a game archive going on that generation. It'll be just as awkward as PS2 to set up to play in a few years.

Konami's been releasing a bunch of their old NES games on JP Wii VC too.

That's not what this is about. PS2 emulation has inherent lag on PS3; Sony seemingly never bothered to fix it. For games where every single frame counts, this is really bad.

alright, didn't know that. not surprised considering there are many other problems with ps2 emulation on ps3.

The last game I bought for my PS2. Now it may be the last I buy for my PS3, as well. I was just thinking the other day about how badly I want Gradius 6 - They did so much right with this game, all I need is more.

mollipen

Doesnt PS2 Classics and PS2 emulation in general for PS3 have input lag? Or is that only on a game by game basis?

Both PS1 and PS2 games have introduced lag on the PS3, no matter if you play them digitally or physically. There's just no way around it. For most games, though, it isn't a big deal, but it does render a number of music/rhythm games I've tried unplayable.

Both PS1 and PS2 games have introduced lag on the PS3, no matter if you play them digitally or physically. There's just no way around it. For most games, though, it isn't a big deal, but it does render a number of music/rhythm games I've tried unplayable.

i heard turning off upscaling for ps1 games helps.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Aww yiss, easily one of my favorite Gradius next to 3 and Gaiden

I think the only boss that felt was cheap for me was the meteor boss.

Neff

i heard turning off upscaling for ps1 games helps.

It does. You save a couple of frames because the PS3 doesn't have to redraw the screen, it simply acts like a PSone or PS2 and outputs either a native 240p or 480p image. For shmups and fighting games, those couple of frames make a big difference.

Great avatar btw, love that film.

It does. You save a couple of frames because the PS3 doesn't have to redraw the screen, it simply acts like a PSone or PS2 and outputs either a native 240p or 480p image. For shmups and fighting games, those couple of frames make a big difference.

I tried it and it felt snappier, but I couldn't tell if it was in my head or not. both were still a bit laggier than original console. and thanks!

How do you play ps1 games in 240p on PS3?

TV says it's 480p, I think. I haven't really investigated it much, i play all this stuff on a ps2 anyway.

OuterLimits

Will probably get this. Really wish Sony would allow PS1 and PS2 games on PS4. Would be a shame to see the fantastic digital selection of classics die with the PS3.

Peltz

I tried it and it felt snappier, but I couldn't tell if it was in my head or not. both were still a bit laggier than original console. and thanks!

TV says it's 480p, I think. I haven't really investigated it much, i play all this stuff on a ps2 anyway.

Same here, on PS2.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
latest

easily my favorite first stage gradius boss

Corto

Just a caveat as someone mentioned Gradius Collection for the PSP being playable on Vita if transfered from the PS3, at least for me, in Europe, is not possible to transfer the game through Content Manager from the PS3 to the Vita.

Tain

Is this a recent update for the PS3? In the past PS3's backwards compatibility always introduced three frames of lag, for both PS1 and PS2 games and regardless of the PS3's output resolution. So even in 480i on an SD CRT.

According to fubarduck, I think. Edit: and shidoshi, come to think of it.

Treasure + Sakimoto + Gradius (I still like to call it Nemesis. In my heart it will always be that) = incredible shootems action.

I could pull out a PS2, or fire up PCSX as I have long since ripped my day one bought disk, but I'll have trouble resisting the urge to double dip. Maybe Konami don't really deserve my money anymore, though. Anyone know if Treasure are likely to get a cut of the sales?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gradius V is on another level of awesome.

Huh? Is Gradius Gaiden on PSN?
Well, if you count the fact it's part of the Gradius Collection on PSP/PSN. I don't think any of the Konami shmups on PS1 are on PSN in either Japan or US....Think only the Collections & this are the only way to get any Konami shmups digitally on PS3 or Vita.

I'm still sad that I can't get the other Collections (Twinbee, Salamander, & Parodius) unless I rebuy a PSP, memory stick, & then import. the games separately

I'm still sad that I can't get the other Collections (Twinbee, Salamander, & Parodius) unless I rebuy a PSP, memory stick, & then import. the games separately
Konami gonna Konami? I'm surprised Gardius made it over, since it doesn't have the words Metal Gear anywhere on it.

I wonder if the Konami rep that posts here can pass on the word to have those put on PSN, even as imports. I would easily get Salamander and Parodius.

Neff

Is this a recent update for the PS3? In the past PS3's backwards compatibility always introduced three frames of lag, for both PS1 and PS2 games and regardless of the PS3's output resolution. So even in 480i on an SD CRT.

According to fubarduck, I think. Edit: and shidoshi, come to think of it.

I'm not sure, they might have improved it a bit. PSone Classics R-Types seems to be the same as it ever was, and I was playing my PS3 on a CRT back when I bought the game, but now I'm using a 17ms LCD, which despite being damn fast as LCDs go, obviously isn't as fast as a CRT.

It's not the resolution setting that alters response times though, it's the upscaling feature found in Settings > Game Settings > PS/PS2 upscaling.

I tested the upscaling option yesterday with the PS2 Classics CvS2, and it does make a difference when switched off. It's a small difference, only a couple of frames, but I could feel that the button presses were more responsive and the game more playable as a result. The downside being that you'll have to adjust the aspect ratio on your TV yourself, since the PS3 simply outputs at a SD resolution by default when upscaling is disabled.

Even stuff on the PS4 like Gradius and Ajax from the Arcade Archives collection aren't shown at their best on modern TVs. There's still that tiny bit of lag even on a good LCD or Plasma. It's something you really notice when you play these old-school precision arcade-style titles. Wii U's VC suffers the same.

It's a shame we're still hamstrung by LCD and Plasma input lag, nearly a decade after they started to go mainstream. Hopefully SED or FED or a more reliable, cheaper form of OLED will become practical to manufacture at some point in the future.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Treasure's shmup magnus opus, one of the best games on the platform.

Too bad PS2 Classics on PS3 are fucking horrible for anything resembling an action/shooter/rhythm game... 3 fuckin' frames of lag and they never bothered to fix it.

KyleCross

I highly doubt the lag the PS3 introduces is any worse than the lag TV's use to have. First time I've heard about this apparent lag issue.

I hope it's also slated for release on the EU PSN. Then I finally have every game of this franchise in my collection (except for the X68k games).
Gradius IV and V are the only ones i have yet to beat.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I highly doubt the lag the PS3 introduces is any worse than the lag TV's use to have. First time I've heard about this apparent lag issue.

It's always been there, not "apparent" at all, it's a fact that PS1/PS2 emulation has 3 frames of inherent lag on top of what your HDTV might have in game mode... and it's so fucking bad that it renders plenty of games unplayable.
Also what lag TVs "used to have"? We were playing PS2 games on CRTs.

Neff

It's always been there, not "apparent" at all, it'a a fact and it's so fucking bad to make plenty of games unplayable.
Also what lag TVs "used to have"? We were playing PS2 games on CRTs.

He or she is probably referring to the pronounced input lag of early LCDs and Plasmas. It wasn't uncommon for games around that time to feature disclaimers about input lag being caused by televisions rather than the game itself.

But yes, PS3's emulator lag has always been an issue for games which require precision movement and strict timing.

LewieP

I'll echo everyone else in saying that this is a fantastic game, and that it's a real shame it's limited to just the PS3. Sony really really should add PS2 BC to the PS4. They could even easily expand the range of PS2 classics beyond the selection that is compatible with the PS3 emulation. Would also be nice for them to update games released as an HD remaster on PS3 to also work on PS4, but that would be a lot of work.

For what it's worth, I've found it emulates pretty damn well with PCSX2, if like me you have got rid of your PS3.

I'd actually say that Konami should port this to PC.

AmyS

PSone Classics R-Types seems to be the same as it ever was

Sadly, PS1 R-Types running at standard PS1 resolution 320 x 240 is a bit lower than the arcade version's 384 x 256. But still R-Types was a fantastic port of the first two games.

Links_fantasy

I really hope this is the start of more PS2 classics from Konami. After finishing Suikoden 1 & 2 on Vita and with 3 coming to JPN PSN I hope they bring the rest of the series to the west as I never played the PS2 ones.

JoeFenix

One of my favorite games of all time, a true masterpiece and my favorite Treasure developed game.

Will buy even though I own 4 copies already.

Tizoc

I really hope this is the start of more PS2 classics from Konami. After finishing Suikoden 1 & 2 on Vita and with 3 coming to JPN PSN I hope they bring the rest of the series to the west as I never played the PS2 ones.

They released Castlevania Lament of Innocence some months ago :p
I think Curse of Darkness is on JP PSN, but not on US PSN, and I really want that game.

leroidys

That would be fantastic. They could even do the right thing and finally release 3 in Europe officially.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I love the gradius series but missed the chance to play this entry. Played the psp collection more than any other psp title.

Definitely buying 😀

Top Bottom