• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
chubigans said:
I've got the perfect game for you guys! It has a minimal amount of cars that are great (70+), 12 variations of tracks and lots more!

270177b.jpg

It's available in stores now! Enjoy!

I already own it, and love it. But I need more now dammit. GT needs more. The fans deserve more, and they deserve it quicker.

Also, why do you need more than 20 locations? Lol. Isn't that already plenty? As long as they have the key stuff in there, it's gravy. Personally I think 20 locales with 70 variations of tracks within those areas (Italy, Alps, Tokyo/Japan, Greece, London etc etc) is plenty. This isn't a proper rally game that you need as much diversity, but 20 seems fine.

cyberheater said:
I'm just worried that by the time this comes out there will a whole raft of DX11 based amazing looking racing games on PC and I might think, too little, too late...

DX11 hw is just now coming out. I bet it won't be until 2011 before any PC games are actually pushing the latest cards.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
So people wait 3 more months instead of the envisioned December release, it's not like hundreds of cars/stages/whatever would magically disappear and speed up things substantially to risk it at this rate for the sake of a mere 3 months.

I think some people were actually hoping it would be sooner than the rumored December date

it's also a symbolic disappointment not having the game out before the end of the year.

it might also be a bit of mistrust as well. as in "i'll believe it when i see it"

and finally they only announced Japan's release date. as said before there's a good chance the other regions will not see it till later than that.

expy

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
it is pretty stunning when you look at it like that.
Would like to see a chagelog between all those titles, as far as features and stuff. Probably wouldn't be as "stunning".

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dreams-Visions said:
it is pretty stunning when you look at it like that.
Except Polyphony released two games in that timeframe as well, GT5:p and GT PSP.

You could debate the quality of those games, but they are full fledged retail games out on the market that required a good amount of resources.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Recoil said:
No, I wouldn't call it moronic. It's certainly possible.

As I said, Forza2 shipped with 12 tracks, and that was just fine.

But 20 would be the low end of what they should be offering, and I was definitely expecting more. Hence my possible explanation -- though 70 is on the opposite side, closer to "absolutely insane"

Heck, come to think of it, could you even fit 70 tracks and 900 cars on a 25gb disc? That's a lot of data.

All I'm saying right now is that something isn't adding up.

Look at this way, GT PSP has 45 tracks and is only 937MB. I'm sure they'll fit on a dual-layered Blu-Ray, which is good for 50GB.

John_B

Kaz shouldn't have made comments that would make people think the release was close by. They also could have explained why it was pushed to 2010 to ease the disappointment.

I have no doubt in my mind that this project has been about future proofing as well. It's just not feasible to redo a 1000 cars with an even higher level of detail for the next platform release.

No reason to buy that G25 now though.

expy said:
Don't know why it would be Japan only. They're localizing it as they go aren't they? We've seen it in multiple languages already -- I'm pretty certain it'll be a worldwide release.

You'd think so, and Amar's winds explicitly hinted a worldwide release, but I don't know why they'd say March 2010 Japan, if they were doing worldwide release.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Death Dealer said:
DX11 hw is just now coming out. I bet it won't be until 2011 before any PC games are actually pushing the latest cards.

I think Dirt 2 is DX11 and out this year. Maybe Blur next year...

nib95

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:
I think some people were actually hoping it would be sooner than the rumored December date

it's also a symbolic disappointment not having the game out before the end of the year.

it might also be a bit of mistrust as well. as in "i'll believe it when i see it"

and finally they only announced Japan's release date. as said before there's a good chance the other regions will not see it till later than that.

The mistrust, or should I say distrust is with Polyphony and Yamuichi. Who has claimed on numerous occasion that the game was "already complete", could release "at any time", and was "coming out very soon" etc. BS.

My only guess is that other racers must have been a bit of a wake up call for them. They realised they needed to push for more and that for that to work, the game needed more time in the oven.

TheFatOne

chubigans said:
Except Polyphony released two games in that timeframe as well, GT5:p and GT PSP.

You could debate the quality of those games, but they are full fledged retail games out on the market that required a good amount of resources.

Nevermind

jett

D-Member
Recoil said:
No, I wouldn't call it moronic. It's certainly possible.

But 20 would be the low end of what they should be offering, and I was definitely expecting more. Hence my possible explanation -- though 70 is on the opposite side, closer to "absolutely insane"

Heck, come to think of it, could you even fit 70 tracks and 900 cars on a 25gb disc? That's a lot of data.

I'm not taking your side either, dammit. All I'm saying right now is that something isn't adding up.

Well finally someone on my side. This is how I feel, pretty much. 20 courses+variations is the more believable number. Not 20 nebulous "locations/cities all over the world" with 70 unique courses.

All this crap aside, I really can't believe Yamauchi doesn't have a definitive track list at this point to show us.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just a question. Did the development of PSP GT delay the release of GT5?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
For gawds sakes folks, why do you keep mentioning games that are not Gran Turismo. Please edit before it's too late! ;_;

AlphaSnake

Recoil said:
Anyone know how much space Prologue takes on-disc?

I know the download is 1.9GB. After updates and other downloadable stuff it's supposed to be closer to 5GB.

ChrisRT

chubigans said:
So basically you want Polyphony to add more tracks, cars, simulation mode and features eh?

Huh, I agree. When GT5 releases in Japan for March it will be about two years since the release of GT5P. And it will have about eight times the content of GT5P.

I'm really having a hard time throwing Polyphony out the window like some of you are.

Nah, I won't eat those words in my mouth. I said that the lack of a sim mode killed it. One can't really do anything to his car/collection. It was just a ghost.

cyberheater said:
I think Dirt 2 is DX11 and out this year.

It's checkbox 'dx11', I doubt it will seriously push the latest 5800 series cards. Even if we don't get it until summer 2010, I doubt any PC racers will look massively better than GT5.

Firewire

Banned
ChrisRT said:
Its amazing that the game didnt come out 2 years ago. I mean others in this thread have a point. Who the fuck needs a thousand cars? I can say with certanty that more then 90% of the players will only rock 5 or 10 cars. I don't give a crap about 20 Civics and 10 Celicas. I mean all of those resources could have been put into real deal damage or more tracks.

Shit's no excuse.

I've been so pumped about the game and that has turned into frustration.
First you claim the game was delayed because of competition then its oh well fuck this game and now you cry about the amount of cars! Oh shit you ain't buying because damn PD is giving you to many all of a sudden!

endlessflood said:
Why? In April 2009 he said 30 nights before 12 months pass, which is March 2010.
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-rumors-you-can-trust/

Amar was spot on, no shadows should fall on him. He did not grab stuff out of thin air, if everything of his metaphores will materialize, that is not within his controls, but no one should accuse him of making shit up.

March 2009 makes a lot of sense if you look at it from a strict logistic perspective.
How the hell could a small developer like PD release two major titles so close, the crunch time up to a release is damn hard and having two so close to each other would sure bring a lot of fatigue to the team and add a lot of risk of quality issues for the second one.

The 2010 release date sucks, but what sucks the most for me is yet another public showing with very little new info. Just another "GT5 will have this and that" but we don't feel like showing you today. You have NASCAR and WRC, show us a little taste. You have 20 locations, show us one.

And what's with all the "We can release GT5 whenever we want," quote? 2010 sounds like you need more time. Also, the we aren't talking about GT5 at E3 because we want GT PSP to shine. GT5 coming out in 2010 will not take the shine off of GT PSP. PD releasing the two so far apart actually seems to hurt GT PSP. Especially with GT PSP's lack of a real career mode, no online, and no online time trials. One last thing, Kaz said it would be out shortly after GT PSP. Six months after is not shorty after.

All in all, it's becoming very hard to stay interested in a game that just doesn't want to reveal anything.

nib95

Banned
chubigans said:
For gawds sakes folks, why do you keep mentioning games that are not Gran Turismo. Please edit before it's too late! ;_;

What's wrong with mentioning other racers if it's in respect to a healthy debate or discussion? Lets not get in to the whole, this game is an Island mentality. That crap just creates stagnancy and ignorance. I'm fine with multiple games being discussed in multiple threads, as long as it's not verging on trolling.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nib95 said:
What's wrong with mentioning other racers if it's in respect to a healthy debate or discussion? Lets not get in to the whole, this game is an Island mentality. That crap just creates stagnancy and ignorance. I'm fine with multiple games being discussed in multiple threads, as long as it's not verging on trolling.
nib, someone was banned for a year that basically had the exact same quote as you. There is a separate thread for game vs game talk. It is NOT ALLOWED in this thread. Please edit your posts.

TheFatOne

nib95 said:

beaten

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10

Seriously I’m done waiting, how can they let someone make 3 games before releasing GT5.
360 it is, Forza it is, Bill Gates it is!
Dude, if you're going to make posts like this - you shouldn't sign up for a GAF account with your Microsoft corporate email.

Seriously.

TheFatOne

Just a quick reminder for those of you who don't know.

bishoptl said:
Konichiwa, bitches!
By shepherding all of the console warrioring, chest-baring, screenshot nit-picking, trailer zaptrudering, laying-dicks-on-the-counter-ing in one thread, the official GT5 and FM3 threads shall be spared contamination.

Bring it to either of the other threads as of 10:45am PST today and you're done until New Year's. Unless you're a junior, in which case you'll be permed.

Toodles!

spats

Waking up to a total gaf meltdown isn't fun. :(

Early 2010 is freaking packed with releases, this decision blows my mind. It will propably still sell well, but a holiday release would've been so perfect.

Brashnir

Sucks that it got delayed, but it sucks even more for all those companies that pushed games back to spring to avoid the big titles coming out this fall. Now one of the biggest franchises in gaming is coming out next spring. Granted, a lot of the titles aren't racing games, but a franchise as big at GT can affect sales in all genres.

nib95

Banned
chubigans said:
nib, someone was banned for a year that basically had the exact same quote as you. There is a separate thread for game vs game talk. It is NOT ALLOWED in this thread. Please edit your posts.

But I don't want to talk about x game vs x game. Just the racing genre in general. But whatever, if mods felt it necessary to implement that rule then I'd imagine they did it with good reason. As a last resort to tackle immense trolling. So I'll abide by it no questions asked. But I am saddened to hear the news. Must mean the state of trolling got that bad that the mods had little other choice.

mclaren777

RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10
Ugh! Clearly you need some help...

GT4 - February 22, 2005
Forza 1 - May 3, 2005
Tourist Trophy - April 4, 2006
Forza 2 - May 29, 2007
GT5P - March 28, 2008
GT PSP - October 1st, 2009
Forza 3 - October 23, 2009
GT5 - March 2010

Polyphony was working on numerous other titles between GT4 and GT5.

AlphaSnake

bishoptl said:
Dude, if you're going to make posts like this - you shouldn't sign up for a GAF account with your Microsoft corporate email.

Seriously.

Hahaha, no amount of lolz can do this justice. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
nib95 said:
I'm fine with multiple games being discussed in multiple threads, as long as it's not verging on trolling.
I'm glad you're fine with it. In a perfect world, I'd be fine with it as well. But it ain't, and I'm not. So scale it back, please.

nib95 said:
Must mean the state of trolling got that bad that the mods had little other choice.
ya think

Stillmatic

spats said:
Waking up to a total gaf meltdown isn't fun. :(

Early 2010 is freaking packed with releases, this decision blows my mind. It will propably still sell well, but a holiday release would've been so perfect.

Indeed. 3 months later than everyone was hoping for isn't bad at all. I just hope they don't delay the EU/US release due to the first half of the year being packed already. GT5:p released around the same time in all territories from memory, so there is hope March will be the WW date.

Recoil

AlphaSnake said:
Look at this way, GT PSP has 45 tracks and is only 937MB.

Dude. Portable game != Current gen.

The comparison doesn't even work on any level. You might as well point out that spy hunter has more track than any other game in history and only takes up a few kilobytes.

You really have to compare to a current gen game with similar detail like Forza 2/3 or Prologue.

jett said:
Well finally someone on my side. This is how I feel, pretty much. 20 courses+variations is the more believable number. Not 20 nebulous "locations/cities all over the world" with 70 unique courses.

All this crap aside, I really can't believe Yamauchi doesn't have a definitive track list at this point to show us.

No, read my damn post. I'm not on your side either. Christ, fuck, don't you people read?

20 is, ultimately the more believable number, but it's also the more bewildering, and doesn't make sense with the context we're given, which is that the game is aiming for 'epic' already on the other side of things, with 950 cars.

Granted, we're already aware that PD puts a hell of a lot more focus on the actual cars than anything else in the game -- including environments.

But... see what I'm saying? At this point, neither figure makes sense, and I'm not comfortable using either as gospel.

If it turns out we're looking at 70, it's insane, unbelievable, PD has pulled through, and we're looking at the most epic game in years, well worth the wait.

If it turns out we're looking at 20, again, it's bewilderingly disappointing, considering the car count and four or five types of racing going on.

But I wouldn't play a game of russian roulette on either figure, and it's unfair to do so at this point.

chubigans said:

I can't completely disagree with that.

but honestly? GT5:p was...a hand full of cars...couple of tracks...some online?

GT:pSP looks like they've had their summer interns building it for the last 4 or 5 years?

Idunno. I appreciate their attention to detail...but I don't see a good reason why the development cycle should have taken this long. I guess I'm just a big believer that at some point in the "perfection" curve of doing anything in life, you run into the old Law of Diminishing Returns. And I feel like they hit the core principle of that law some time ago.'

They could spend the next 2 weeks perfecting a pixel, but is it worth the time, you know?

Just some disappointment from someone who really wants GT5.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
bishoptl said:
I'm glad you're fine with it. In a perfect world, I'd be fine with it as well. But it ain't, and I'm not. So scale it back, please.

ya think
Where the hell did white man bball go?

AlphaSnake

Recoil said:
Dude. Portable game != Current gen.

The comparison doesn't even work on any level. You might as well point out that

No, I'm well aware of that. I'm just saying that despite a ton of tracks PD knows how to utilize their space well. The PSP game boasts texture work that is a bit worse than what we saw in GT3 or GT4 (which were 6-8GB games), yet more cars, more tracks and somehow manages to clock in a meager 935MB. The point was just that PD knows how to manage their space.

Of course I'm aware that texture sizes for a game like GT5 are much larger than ever before. Come on, now.

nib95

Banned
Fuck, just realised this thread is slowly veering out of control. I do honestly think a lot of it, is with fans like me who are simply disappointed the game didn't make an 09 release. and may now be going some way in to 2010. There are few people out there who are bigger fans of GT than me, so trust me, this news stings me more than most. luckily, competition is great, and variety is the spice of life. There's still plenty to keep us busy in the mean while.

I think I'm just being too greedy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom