• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

amar212

chico said:
i remember one racing game where you started with daylight and ended at night. awesome....
especially the sunset was beautiful.

forgot the name of the game though. :(

LeMans 24 Hours on PSone from Eutechnyx (1998)?

LeMans 24 Hours on Dreamcast by Montreal Studio (1999)?

LeMans 24 Hours on PS2 by Montreal Studio (2000)?

GRID (2008)?

Yeah, next-fckn-gen all the way baby... All the way.

Can anyone recommend any good Gran Turismo-centered websites or maybe some beginner PDF guides? I recently bought Prologue and the GT Driving Force wheel in preparation for GT5 next spring and have been having a blast, but I'd like to dig a bit deeper into the game.

Hey oh!

There are some new damage shots up on CVG. Can I post them? Their size is a little poxy. Thought maybe somebody knew where to get some of a proper size/resolution?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Hey oh!

There are some new damage shots up on CVG. Can I post them? Their size is a little poxy. Thought maybe somebody knew where to get some of a proper size/resolution?
DO IT!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
amar212 said:
LeMans 24 Hours on PSone from Eutechnyx (1998)?

LeMans 24 Hours on Dreamcast by Montreal Studio (1999)?

LeMans 24 Hours on PS2 by Montreal Studio (2000)?

GRID (2008)?

Yeah, next-fckn-gen all the way baby... All the way.
not montreal studio - it's melbourne house - one of the better racing devs out there. otherwise i totally agree - i'm still waiting for 'next-gen' to deliver.

deepbrown

Fersis said:
screenshot_222737.jpg

screenshot_222734.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well we can see the barrier things flying through the air.
And is that big gray streak above the wheel well on the WRX a "scratch" or part of the paintjob? It looks like "damage" to me.

belvedere

Junior Butler
AndyD said:
Well we can see the barrier things flying through the air.
And is that big gray streak above the wheel well on the WRX a "scratch" or part of the paintjob? It looks like "damage" to me.

That's what I was wondering. It seems like damage. Also are there other shots where damage on multiple cars is shown?

Yoboman

Some weakass latches on these cars :lol

Seriously though, hoods and doors don't really fly off much in crashes, more like they get smashed into the car. Hopefully they tone that down a bit

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So those are actual screenshots from the game ? Even the blur effects ?

Doytch

Fersis said:
So those are actual screenshots from the game ? Even the blur effects ?
Haven't been following how they've been doing screens, but I'd expect it to be photomode if it's in game. 16xAA out the ass on those shots.

AndyD

aka andydumi
belvedere said:
That's what I was wondering. It seems like damage. Also are there other shots where damage on multiple cars is shown?

Well the one above shows the WRX damaged front end and also the Ford is missing a door and its tailgate is popped up. So I woudl guess that is a shot with multiplt cars damaged at once. Or do you mean something else?

deepbrown

Doytch said:
Haven't been following how they've been doing screens, but I'd expect it to be photomode if it's in game. 16xAA out the ass on those shots.
These are super-sampled REPLAY shots. Replays have motion blur.

Fersis

deepbrown said:
Damn, they should show real gameplay screenshots, in fact have they released HD direct feed gameplay footage?

GodofWine

Have they commented on their 'in car sounds' in GT5? I always thought their in car sounds were often way soft, then I played the Shift demo and was like WOW, it sounded like a race car.

I then messed with GT5P's settings, saw you could go up to 150% for car sounds, and this helped, but still needs a little more punch I think.

(granted GT5P is mostly production cars, so maybe thats a good reason its not really loud. But even that old corvette with no roof is a bit soft sounding)

belvedere

Junior Butler
AndyD said:
Well the one above shows the WRX damaged front end and also the Ford is missing a door and its tailgate is popped up. So I woudl guess that is a shot with multiplt cars damaged at once. Or do you mean something else?

Well I was wondering if there were more obvious examples with cars with multiple damage than this one.

Iknos

deepbrown said:

Photomode can have motion blur as well if you set the shutter speed to be slower. Judging by the quality of the motion blur I'd say it was photomode.

1z56kv5.jpg

Look at the sunlight hitting the rear window. Sooo good.

jett

D-Member
They shouldn't show damage until they have their alleged deformation model in place because that looks a little retarded. Pieces fall off but the paint and the integrity of the chassis are in perfect condition, that's pretty lulz.

mr_nothin said:
Somebody said that GT:HD was still around?
I cant find it anywhere :/

Which store is it on?

Only available to download if you downloaded it when it was actually available. It would still be in your PSN download list/history.

actually this is a point i've been meaning to bring up for a while now, i've noticed this effect since GT5p's release, it's there in game aswell as in photomode/replay as is quite apparent in this particular picture:

14buc02.jpg

The top of the buildings have a purple fringe, this is an (unwanted) effect you get in most compact digital camera's known as chromatic aberration - it even renders in the image in the same places it should occur in a photo like the edge of an object which is contrasted by strong sunlight behind it.

PICT0111_purple28mm2.jpg

250px-Purple_fringing.jpg

Interesting detail to include, seems like too much of a coincidence for this to be a simple 'bi-product' of the way the engine renders the scene.

EDIT: actually, better comparison, check out the tree's:

1z56kv5.jpg

blue_fringe.jpg

Darklord

Banned
Wow, these new screenshots...I can't believe it'll look like this. It's like it's using CryEngine 2 or something. The lighting is just perfect. When I see shots like that they NEVER end up looking like that, even if its a small downgrade so I'll wait and see. As a fan of Forza, GT5 wins in graphics no doubt if it keeps that level up.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Darklord said:
Wow, these new screenshots...I can't believe it'll look like this. It's like it's using CryEngine 2 or something. The lighting is just perfect. When I see shots like that they NEVER end up looking like that, even if its a small downgrade so I'll wait and see. As a fan of Forza, GT5 wins in graphics no doubt if it keeps that level up.

Go play Prologue, it does. There's 50 pages proving this point.

bj00rn_

Banned
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:
The top of the buildings have a purple fringe, this is an (unwanted) effect you get in most compact digital camera's known as chromatic aberration - it even renders in the image in the same places it should occur in a photo like the edge of an object which is contrasted by strong sunlight behind it.

Interesting detail to include, seems like too much of a coincidence for this to be a simple 'bi-product' of the way the engine renders the scene

Yeah, it's kind of a bizarre inclusion. But I guess it does its job (To fool the brain to think it's a real-world-only flaw, thus everything else must be real as well) in the same way as tons of lenseflare and vignette did for Killzone 2.

Love the sunlight implementation..

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
MrJollyLivesNextDoor said:

Not just small compact digicams... even pro lenses exhibit this kind of chromatic aberration. Only the true, top of the line, creme de la creme are truely apochromatic. To give you an example, you can even spot some of these even on the BBC's Planet Earth.

I've gotta say with those massively overblown highlights and spades of chromatic aberration it looks like PD is trying to emulate a crappy digital camcorder.

-viper-

Banned
Darklord said:
Prologue doesn't look like that.
GT5, a game which Polyphony have worked over for more than 2 years since the release of Prologue, actually looks better than Prologue?

OH
MY
GOD
!!!!

I'm truly shocked.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Bitmap Frogs said:
Not just small compact digicams... even pro lenses exhibit this kind of chromatic aberration. Only the true, top of the line, creme de la creme are truely apochromatic. To give you an example, you can even spot some of these even on the BBC's Planet Earth.

I've gotta say with those massively overblown highlights and spades of chromatic aberration it looks like PD is trying to emulate a crappy digital camcorder.

I would not say crappy, but I would definitely say they are going for emulating a digital camera or camcorder. I guess they are aiming at giving the same image as a trackside digital camera would take.

One could say its going too far and they would rather haev ideal images, while someone else could say this is a good thing because it will make it look just like watching it on TV which is what we will be doing.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Darklord said:
Prologue doesn't look like that.

I'm not going to bother re-posting what's already been discussed. The screenshots you're ignorantly questioning are from the replay mode with enhanced effects. The replay mode runs at 30fps vs the gameplay mode's 60fps, and has added post processing magic. B3D and other individuals have scrutinized over these pics and determined that the difference between what subtle things are added to the replay screens account for maybe, a 5% increase in visual fidelity, at worst.

So yes, Prologue replays fucking look like that.

Darklord

Banned
belvedere said:
I'm not going to bother re-posting what's already been discussed. The screenshots you're ignorantly questioning are from the replay mode with enhanced effects. The replay mode runs at 30fps vs the gameplay mode's 60fps, and has added post processing magic. B3D and other individuals have scrutinized over these pics and determined that the difference between what subtle things are added to the replay screens account for maybe, a 5% increase in visual fidelity, at worst.

So yes, Prologue replays fucking look like that.

Can you not get so defensive for one and just calm down. I never questioned any screen shots. I was praising how good they looked and wondered if it'll keep that quality. And no, Prologue looks like shit compared to those screenshots. It's a bland ass looking game(in my opinion), this is not. It might use the same effects on the replay but still.

-viper- said:
They seriously need to tone down the flying off doors and bonnets. It looks rather stupid.

They probably do that just for demo purposes, so that Polyphony could prove that they are doing damage. We already know that the damage that they're working on and that they've shown to the press looks quite a bit different from what we're seeing in these screens.

GodofWine

-viper- said:
They seriously need to tone down the flying off doors and bonnets. It looks rather stupid.

....now too much damage.... :D

Based on the fact that these are still images and I have no idea how the doors got that way, I cant judge it.

Firewire

Banned
Darklord said:
And no, Prologue looks like shit compared to those screenshots. It's a bland ass looking game(in my opinion), this is not. It might use the same effects on the replay but still.

Your eyes...they suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom