• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

nib95 said:
I actually agree with those critisizng Polyphony on this. If I was Sony I'd start stamping my foot a little and getting things done. They have been WAY too lax on their Japanese development studio's. Polyphony has taken the piss with GT5.

Wait are you serious ? modeling over 900 cars inside and out with the greatest of detail is lax?

Foffy

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:
ok fine, they said "in Japan". so don't you think that the other regions will see the release at a later date? like past releases?

This generation has had more worldwide launches around the same timeframe than generations in the past. Why would GT5 be one of those games to not be released simultaneously around the world? I think it would be a terrible move on the part of Sony if other countries didn't get the game at least by April 2010.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ChrisRT said:
Yes, they always slip.
No, they don't. Once they actually announce a date, it's usually gold. The GT PSP announcement in May managed to be accurate.

It's when they don't announce a date is when the game kinda floats around for nearly half a decade. Like...GT PSP.

If one wants Youtube implemintation, they already have a BB connection so make it a download patch. Now they are just lost IMO.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. :lol

Unless you think Polyphony spent a ton of resources/time on YouTube implementation, which is laughable since it's already built into the PS3 OS and has been used for nearly a dozen games now.

TTG

I'm reading the IGN liveblog.... so 950+ cars in 20+ courses and 70+ variations. And a March 2010 release date, is that all that was announced? Is there a trailer or something?

KHarvey16

Why make the distinction "In Japan" if it was being released globally at the same time? Putting that in there was a conscious choice by someone.

Foffy said:
This generation has had more worldwide launches around the same timeframe than generations in the past. Why would GT5 be one of those games to not be released simultaneously around the world? I think it would be a terrible move on the part of Sony if other countries didn't get the game at least by April 2010.

i agree, but by not announcing it today, you leave everyone outside of japan wondering when they will get to play it. if you're optimistic, you would think april, but otherwise...

nib95

Banned
Loudninja said:
Wait are you serious ? modeling over 900 cars inside and out with the greatest of detail is lax?

It's stupid, unnecessary and a complete waste of resources/time. No one is going to give a crap about 1/3rd of the cars in the game, if even half of them. At the end of the day, I'd sacrifice Pokemon Cars over a quicker development schedule, and possibly more features, any day of the week. I can't imagine GT5 would sell less if it had only had 600 cars instead of 950. Like I said, wasting resources. Polyphony need to up their game.

Now when GT5 comes out, if it's anything but exceptional they are going to be torn a new one, and rightfully so.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
jett said:
Don't be fucking stupid, I used it as an example of what the G4 guy meant by locations, it's certainly not your insane dream of 20 fucking countries. If you really want to keep on believing that there's going to be 70 circuits in GT5 you go right fucking ahead.

Wow, where the hell did I say it was countries? And don't quote my post, because since when is Europe an f-ing country? I said it was 20 locations, which implies just that, locations. Again, the game will have numerous tracks per location in many cases. And nevermind what the bloggers were saying, get off of that already. They were simply listing what they saw in the video - that's it.

You can moan and bitch like you always do, or take solace in the fact that there will be 70 unique track layouts in the game, 60 of which should be totally unique tracks, altogether -- just like GT PSP.

TheFatOne said:
I mean do people honestly believe weather is going to be in GT5? What console racer has weather?

are you serious? pgr for one. very good weather, in fact

but i would think that if weather was going to be in the game, it would have been announced today. this was supposed to be *the day* for GT.

by not announcing it, personally, I think it's pretty much not going to happen.

Loudninja said:

Taking a half a decade to get 1 game done, no one asked for 900 cars, while the competition will have 2 games under their belt and some time to spare until GT5 comes.

jett

D-Member
TheFatOne said:
You need to chill out. If the game doesn't meet your standards then don't buy it. Simple as that.

Sorry dude, but that guy was completely wrong and insulted me several times for no fucking reason. Anybody would be pissed off.

IGN is saying 20 courses with 70 variations in total. That right there is pretty pathetic for a game that's been in development for 5 years, sorry again.

nib95 said:
I can't imagine GT5 would sell less if it had only had 600 cars instead of 950. Like I said, wasting resources.
Please carry out that argument to its logical conclusion re: video game development. I imagine you would not want to live in that world.

ChrisRT

chubigans said:
No, they don't. Once they actually announce a date, it's usually gold. The GT PSP announcement in May managed to be accurate.

It's when they don't announce a date is when the game kinda floats around for nearly half a decade. Like...GT PSP.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. :lol

Unless you think Polyphony spent a ton of resources/time on YouTube implementation, which is laughable since it's already built into the PS3 OS and has been used for nearly a dozen games now.

I remember a certain GT3 and GT4. I know because I was all PS at that time. So yes, they did.

TheFatOne

Rapping Granny said:
Taking a half a decade to get 1 game done, no one asked for 900 cars, while the competition will have 2 games under their belt and some time to spare until GT5 comes.

Then go buy the competition and skip GT5. What's the big deal. Didn't they say a new physics/damage?

jett said:
Sorry dude, but that guy was completely wrong and insulted me several times for no fucking reason. Anybody would be pissed off.

IGN is saying 20 courses with 70 variations in total. That right there is pretty pathetic for a game that's been in development for 5 years, sorry again.

Ohh I get that point. 20 courses is way to low, but everything else sounds ace.

KHarvey16 said:
Why make the distinction "In Japan" if it was being released globally at the same time? Putting that in there was a conscious choice by someone.

Honestly dude, why are you in this thread? There's the Forza official thread and the comparison one you can go to. You belong there, definitely.

Thanks. Because it's going to be released in Japan at that time, but it can also release globally everywhere else.

Your statement is fucking stupid and stop reading into everything so much.

Just wait and see.

Loudninja

nib95 said:
It's stupid, unnecessary and a complete waste of resources/time. No one is going to give a crap about 1/3rd of the cars in the game, if even half of them. At the end of the day, I'd sacrifice Pokemon Cars over a quicker development schedule, and possibly more features, any day of the week. I can't imagine GT5 would sell less if it had only had 600 cars instead of 950. Like I said, wasting resources. Polyphony need to up their game.

Now when GT5 comes out, if it's anything but exceptional they are going to be torn a new one, and rightfully so.

Ok this is funny so it unnecessary to add all those cars in a game about cars :lol some of you are really going insane tonight and I am not liking it.

SeaOfMadness said:
are you serious? pgr for one. very good weather, in fact

but i would think that if weather was going to be in the game, it would have been announced today. this was supposed to be *the day* for GT.

by not announcing it, personally, I think it's pretty much not going to happen.

Or maybe, just maybe they will announce it later because the game is still 6 months away.

AlphaSnake

jett said:

Stop spreading your pessimistic BS. It's 20 locations, with 70 tracks. I can't believe you seriously think this game will have 20 unique circuits/tracks.

TheFatOne said:
Then go buy the competition and skip GT5. What's the big deal. Didn't they say a new physics/damage?

I am buying the competition, the big deal is that it's taking 5 fucking years for a sequel to come out for my favorite series because of an incompetent developer that thinks he's the second coming of christ.

FortunateSon said:
Or maybe, just maybe they will announce it later because the game is still 6 months away.

It seems some believe that they should've announced everything in the game right now even though it's not coming out until March. Seriously, it's not that long of a wait.

KHarvey16

FortunateSon said:
Honestly dude, why are you in this thread? There's the Forza official thread and the comparison one you can go to. You belong there, definitely.

Thanks. Because it's going to be released in Japan at that time, but it can also release globally everywhere else.

Your statement is fucking stupid and stop reading into everything so much.

Just wait and see.

Why don't you keep this bullshit in the other thread, yeah?

Thanks.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rapping Granny said:
I am buying the competition, the big deal is that it's taking 5 fucking years for a sequel to come out for my favorite series because of an incompetent developer that thinks he's the second coming of christ.
Now you're being a moron. Give me a freaking break.

Not getting this game out this holiday is a big failure for Sony. Sorry can't spin it. I'm sure it's going to be great when it finally comes out, but like another poster said, the more time it takes the more people are going to be expecting a masterpiece, and the more people are going to be letdown.

Recoil

Yeah, after thinking about it, I wanna say that 20 figure sounds a bit like a mistranslation, and "locations" is more meaning "countries" (not literally, but something akin to that -- regions, maybe?) rather than "environments" -- it's odd that they'd not specify environments, but they've done that in the past.

But put it this way -- NASCAR, there's no way they're putting in any less than 2 tracks, and we're probably looking at 4-5. Rally, same thing. No less than 2, probably looking at 4-5, if not more. So using the translation that they mean "environments".... it doesn't make sense. That's like 10-16 environments left, but...

Nur is gonna be in.
New York
London
Italy (Rome?)
Laguna Seca
Switzerland
Mugello's almost certainly in.
Fuji
Suzuka
Top Gear Test Track

I don't know what else is confirmed, but that doesn't leave us with a lot of suprises, so again, it doesn't add up.

Countries/regions makes more sense. Germany, England, Italy, United States, Japan, Spain, France, Mexico, Saudi Arabia -- etc. etc. etc. -- makes more sense to fit the number '20', with 70 tracks spanning those countries or regions, all in various configurations.

No? Yes?

edit: I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to "make it work" in my head because I would just be shocked to see only 20 tracks in total. I was expecting a lot more. According to Wikipedia, Forza 2 shipped with 12 tracks, but we're talking tarmac only there, and I definitely much expected GT to outdo Forza by a wide margin on the track count.

Firewire

Banned
ChrisRT said:
Yes, they always slip. Well, I think GT1 and 2 where on track. I think they don't know what the fuck they want to do. I think they are seeing what the competition has and going from there. Something to justify all of the cash infusions they have had. I mean damn, this is getting a bit old now. If one wants Youtube implemintation, they already have a BB connection so make it a download patch. Now they are just lost IMO.

I was looking forward to it but now I just don't give a fuck.
wtf is this?

nib95

Banned
Loudninja said:
Ok this is funny so it unnecessary to add all those cars in a game about cars :lol some of you are really going insane tonight and I am not liking it.

But it is true. look, I get it, GT5 is a car collectors dream, but not if it's at the expense of other things like time and gameplay. We're not in the PS1/PS2 days any more. I don't think Polyphony realises, but racing games have advanced ridiculously fast. It's not going to be the walk in the park it once was for Polyphony, so they really need to start prioritising.

At the end of the day....sure...a few people out there in the world who own some 1 litre crappy rare little bug of a car with a name that no one can even remember might care that it's in the game. But most people aren't. Just like most people aren't going to care for the 12 different variations of [insert car here]. I just think 950 is such an extreme number, especially if proper damage and physics are to be implemented.

There once was a time where the quality of the franchise itself denoted GT's presence in the car industry and marketing world. Now it's like the opposite has occurred. They model every Tom Dick and Harry car just to have it under their notch as if it's a tick on some car catalogue/trophy collection.

With the time delays with GT5, the lack of updates to GT5P and the weak attempt at a portable version of the franchise, I can't help but think Polyphony are losing the magic. Would they have EVER released a GT game that wans't stellar in the past? Fair enough it's a portable game. But portable doesn't have to mean lacking, as proven by some of the best devs in the world already.

TheFatOne said:
Ohh I get that point. 20 courses is way to low, but everything else sounds ace.

Variations don't mean much to me. It's fluff.

20 is way low considering Prologue has six. London, Eiger, Suzuka, Fuji, Daytona, High Speed Ring.

jett

D-Member
AlphaSnake said:
Stop spreading your pessimistic BS. It's 20 locations, with 70 tracks. I can't believe you seriously think this game will have 20 unique circuits/tracks.

jett said:
20 environments is fucking sad.

What do you think I meant by environments, exactly? 20 "locations"/courses/environments/whatever with whatever variations they have is not acceptable, sorry. IGN reports 20 courses with 70 variations, I have no idea what you are going on at this point. Seems to me you're kind of crazy.

ChrisRT

DarkJC said:
Amazing how quickly this thread turned to complete shit.

Its amazing that the game didnt come out 2 years ago. I mean others in this thread have a point. Who the fuck needs a thousand cars? I can say with certanty that more then 90% of the players will only rock 5 or 10 cars. I don't give a crap about 20 Civics and 10 Celicas. I mean all of those resources could have been put into real deal damage or more tracks.

Shit's no excuse.

I've been so pumped about the game and that has turned into frustration.

mr_nothin

Banned
All of this reminds me of when FFXIII was announced for the 360. Ppl will calm down after a while...and by the next reveal they'll be amazed. All of this backlash doesnt matter...the game will still sell millions upon millions and Kax knows that already. Just look at how many ppl bought Prologue. Say what you want about the man but he wants the game to be perfect (by his standards).

ChrisRT said:
Its amazing that the game didnt come out 2 years ago. I mean others in this thread have a point. Who the fuck needs a thousand cars? I can say with certanty that more then 90% of the players will only rock 5 or 10 cars. I don't give a crap about 20 Civics and 10 Celicas. I mean all of those resources could have been put into real deal damage or more tracks.

Shit's no excuse.

Do you really think making "20 different civics" is using up resources? They would basically be using the same model so you cant say those resources could have been used elsewhere. Also when 1000 cars was 1st revealed everybody went :O :O :O :O.

Also, everybody has their own preference of cars. I hate hatchbacks but others love them. Alot of what GT is about is being able to get w/e car you want and doing what you want with it.

Massa

nib95 said:
But it is true. look, I get it, GT5 is a car collectors dream, but not if it's at the expense of other things like time and gameplay. We're not in the PS1/PS2 days any more. I don't think Polyphony realises, but racing games have advanced ridiculously fast. It's not going to be the walk in the park it once was for Polyphony, so they really need to start prioritising.

So, have you played GT5 yet?

AlphaSnake

Recoil said:
Yeah, after thinking about it, I wanna say that 20 figure sounds a bit like a mistranslation, and "locations" is more meaning "countries" rather than "environments" -- it's odd that they'd not specify environments, but they've done that in the past.

But put it this way -- NASCAR, there's no way they're putting in any less than 2 tracks, and we're probably looking at 4-5.

Rally, same thing. No less than 2, probably looking at 4-5, if not more.

So using the translation that they mean "environments".... it doesn't make sense. That's like 10-16 environments left.

Nur is gonna be in.

New York

London

Italy (Rome?)

Laguna Seca

Switzerland

Mugello's almost certainly in.

Fuji

Suzuka

Top Gear Test Track

I don't know what else is confirmed, but that doesn't leave us with a lot of suprises, so again, it doesn't add up.

Countries/locations makes more sense. Germany, England, Italy, United States, Japan, Spain, France, Mexico, Saudi Arabia -- etc. etc. etc. -- makes more sense to fit the number '20', with 70 tracks spanning those countries, all in various configurations.

No? Yes?

Yes. That's pretty much exactly what's going on. To think PD would take such a massive step back when they have 950 freaking cars is moronic. Flat out moronic.

TheFatOne

Rapping Granny said:

Shit happens. My favorite series happens to be Shenmue, and that game is never coming out. So tough shit wait 6 months instead of 3. Your acting as if the game is never going to be released. At least your favorite series is still coming out. Some of us aren't that fortunate.

jett said:
What do you think I meant by environments, exactly? 20 "locations"/courses/environments/whatever with whatever variations they have is not acceptable, sorry. IGN reports 20 courses with 70 variations, I have no idea what you are going on at this point. Seems to me you're kind of crazy.

If its 70 different tracks then that's fine by me, but I can understand why you would be mad.

ChrisRT said:

Shit's no excuse.

Nobody knows about damage or weather. We know what damage might look like. Who knows if PD can actually get weather in the game. I know this the current damage is garbage, and they need to fix the AI.

RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10

Seriously I’m done waiting, how can they let someone make 3 games before releasing GT5.
360 it is, Forza it is, Bill Gates it is!

:lol :lol :lol Keep the meltdowns coming.

RandomXTX

Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10

Seriously I’m done waiting, how can they let someone make 3 games before releasing GT5.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ChrisRT said:
Who the fuck needs a thousand cars? I can say with certanty that more then 90% of the players will only rock 5 or 10 cars. I don't give a crap about 20 Civics and 10 Celicas.

nib95 said:
It's stupid, unnecessary and a complete waste of resources/time. No one is going to give a crap about 1/3rd of the cars in the game, if even half of them.
I've got the perfect game for you guys! It has a minimal amount of cars that are great (70+), 12 variations of tracks and lots more!

270177b.jpg

It's available in stores now! Enjoy!

ChrisRT

chubigans said:
I've got the perfect game for you guys! It has a minimal amount of cars that are great (70+), 12 variations of tracks and lots more!

270177b.jpg

It's available in stores now! Enjoy!

I purchased that and sold it. It was like a shell of a demo. It was not at all apealing to me. Nothing like the others. No simulation mode meant basically killed it for me.

So people wait 3 more months instead of the envisioned December release, it's not like hundreds of cars/stages/whatever would magically disappear and speed up things substantially to risk it at this rate for the sake of a mere 3 months.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really can't believe they've not managed to get this game out this year. So it looks like we'll (UK) have to wait at least 9 months before this comes out over here. That's a lifetime relative to console sales. And I guess MS are breathing a sigh of relief that they don't have to compete with all those GT5 Slim bundles this Xmas which would have been a killer combination.

I'm just worried that by the time this comes out there will a whole raft of DX11 based amazing looking racing games on PC and I might think, too little, too late...

If it is Japan only in March 2010 and not worldwide then that is a huge fail.

Parden my ignorance but what is exactly involved in localization other than voice and text translation? GT has no voice dialogue so I can't see it taking long at all. A game like this needs a worldwide launch. Localization should be happening as the dev process moves along.

AlphaSnake

jett said:

Umm, Home Skillet...I'm going by what everyone else beside IGN said. IGN clearly mistranslated something or misunderstood completely - which isn't surprising.

G4 Blog:
Over 20 locations and 70 tracks.

GTPlanet:
-Over 20 locations and 70 tracks

Who exactly is the crazy one?

Recoil

AlphaSnake said:
Yes. That's pretty much exactly what's going on. To think PD would take such a massive step back when they have 950 freaking cars is moronic. Flat out moronic.

No, I wouldn't call it moronic. It's certainly possible.

As I said, Forza2 shipped with 12 tracks, and that was just fine.

But 20 would be the low end of what they should be offering, and I was definitely expecting more. Hence my possible explanation -- though 70 is on the opposite side, closer to "absolutely insane"

Heck, come to think of it, could you even fit 70 tracks and 900 cars on a 25gb disc? That's a lot of data.

I'm not taking your side either, dammit. All I'm saying right now is that something isn't adding up.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ChrisRT said:
I purchased that and sold it. It was like a shell of a demo. It was not at all apealing to me. Nothing like the others. No simulation mode meant basically killed it for me.
So basically you want Polyphony to add more tracks, cars, simulation mode and features eh?

Huh, I agree. When GT5 releases in Japan for March it will be about two years since the release of GT5P. And it will have about eight times the content of GT5P.

I'm really having a hard time throwing Polyphony out the window like some of you are.

RandomXTX said:
Frickin embarassing
Gran Turismo 4 – 6/18/04
Forza 1 – 5/3/05
Forza 2 – 8/19/08
Forza 3 – 10/27/09
Gran Turismo 5 – 3/?/10

it is pretty stunning when you look at it like that.

expy

Banned
criesofthepast said:
If it is Japan only in March 2010 and not worldwide then that is a huge fail.

Parden my ignorance but what is exactly involved in localization other than voice and text translation? GT has no voice dialogue so I can't see it taking long at all. A game like this needs a worldwide launch. Localization should be happening as the dev process moves along.
Don't know why it would be Japan only. They're localizing it as they go aren't they? We've seen it in multiple languages already -- I'm pretty certain it'll be a worldwide release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom