• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

offshore

bloodforge said:
It's probably not about money and more that the would rather deal directly with Porsche than a 3rd party license holder.

Sony have probably negotiated directly with Porsche already...Kaz at least seems well aware of Porsches' exclusive deal. It's possible that Porsche could say to Sony when their contract is up, and when they can grant Sony the license themselves.

EA's contract has to be nearly finished, they seem to have had it forever, and while I agree with Cigol that Sony wouldn't delay the whole of GT5 just to include Porsche, it may have worked out well, as Kaz still wants to finish things up in GT5, so it may not be that the game is being delayed just waiting for a contract to finish.

Kaz already said (albeit in that somewhat dubious interview) that Porsche don't mind their cars getting battered...so some contact must have been made...and yet at the same time he told IGN that he was disappointed by Porsches' exclusivity deal :S

Here's an old email from Porsche that was sent to a GTP poster named The Interceptor

thank you for your e-mail from 19th of August and your encouragement about our commitment in the area of computer gaming, which we are happy to answer. Please excuse our belated response.

In general we concede with you [editorial note: as in me saying that Porsche can't afford to not be in Gran Turismo anymore]. But for about 10 years by now, there has been an exclusive cooperation in the area of entertainment software between Porsche and Electronic Arts. The, the prelude was the Porsche-only version of 'Need for Speed'. This cooperation still exists, and in the meantime, there has been a multitude of further mutual projects.

As for all of our cooperation partners, we are interested in a durable and good partnership. That involves meeting decisions which, from the outside, might not reveal themselves instantly, such as the decision to not be featured in 'Gran Turismo'.

Like I said, the situation is very weird.

bud

fwiw, some guy on gtplanet asked him about porsche. btw, this is from a year ago.

then i asked him about porsche and lamporghini's are they goin to be in the game? why isn't already?

K.Y: the thing is we are working on it , because like the porsche have some contracts with other games manufacturer, and those contracts has just ended so its possible for us now to negotiate.

Me : what about the damage feature ? how far is it?

K.Y :thats also coming. the negotiations are taking place already. the only problem is that some manufacturer like porsche (NOTICE HE SAID PORSCHE, DOES THAT MEAN SOMTHING ALREADY HAPPINING) say's its ok to crash and total our cars we have no problem, and other manufacturer like Ferrari say's : we won't allow you to show some damage on our cars even if its the side view mirror damage

offshore

So...as of 2009, that contract with EA still exists according to Porsche, but in 2008 Kaz says to GTplanet it's expired (although let it be known that I think the translation in that interview is highly dubious), but fast forward a year, and now Kaz says alludes to Porsche still being in a contract...maybe EA resigned with Porsche?

SSX is right, it's all weird. I'm going to lie down :S

Cigol

offshore said:
So...as of 2009, that contract with EA still exists according to Porsche, but in 2008 Kaz says to GTplanet it's expired (although let it be known that I think the translation in that interview is highly dubious), but fast forward a year, and now Kaz says alludes to Porsche still being in a contract...maybe EA resigned with Porsche?

SSX is right, it's all weird. I'm going to lie down :S
You could argue he meant it's expired in relation to GT5's expected release date... mayhaps :D

Credit to Tenacious D from GTP for a proper translation of the Meristation report

As for the new cars, hybrids will be included. Also present for the first time are legendary brands like Lamborghini and Bugatti. Also present are cars from NASCAR and World Rally. Speaking of NASCAR, Yamauchi noted that the deformation and damage in these high-speed races will be absolutely amazing and true to life, with turns, spins, rollovers, and so on. We will have to see to believe.

Then he showed us a look at another set of game features that he says make Gran Turismo what is today a reference in the world of driving simulations. Arcade and GT Modes are the same as previous versions, but taken to the next generation. That is, new graphics, new physics, new details. In the shop there will be many accessories to improve your cars. The master was particularly proud of this facet of the game. He commented that we can change almost every imaginable piece of the vehicle, not just the typical sections of the engine, brakes, etc.

The online mode will have full support. The development team has focused a lot on this. There will be private rooms where you can connect with other players and tournaments closed set, for example. With regard to the Photo Mode, Yamauchi told us that this feature from Gran Turismo 4 has been improved greatly. It can take pictures at any moment of the race, as well as specially prepared settings. We were reminded that the improvement in the modeling (both circuit and car) will thus be a delight for fans. On the technical side, he said that the photos have a resolution of 8 megapixels.

The video began with a street circuit and with electronic music in the background. Then we saw the cars, especially new ones going full speed around the track, what Gran Turismo is known for. We saw cars from NASCAR, Rally, Lamborghinis and Bugattis. We saw the pits in full and frenetic action. The images came from the replay mode. There were cars running at night. The modeling was clearly at the level expected since GT5 Prologue. And finally we saw the first deformation and cracks on cars. There were a few shouts of excitement among those present. There was a short but intense second collision. For lack of a better word, awesome.

We also saw a Ferrari with a big city in the background. The camera rose to give a more global perspective. The video ended. The truth is that we were left wanting much more. It was a little short, but intense. When the trailer began, the media burst into applause. Yamauchi confessed that they are still working on the night mode to make it as realistic as possible. Not a further word on damage. "I'll ask after the interview," I thought to myself.

Then we move on to other sections of the star: the modeling of the circuits. A lot of tourists work here. And I say this because several of its members have traveled around the world to make on-site tours for all real circuits for the game, scavenging every detail. Yamauchi said half seriously, half jokingly that often the team would quit a vehicle run to look closely at every single detail that from the car were unseen. The texture of the pavement, plants around the circuit. Everything was thoroughly analyzed. Excessive? Maybe. Obsessed with detail? Extremely. And I really do not think it was a joke when he said that, since he gave me a look at some photos of the paving of one of the circuits to which it referred. A photo taken very, very closely.

The last visit was the department of physics. A real mess of papers, dismantled car models, electronic whiteboards, erasable media, more paperwork and even action figures. It was chaos, but a controlled chaos. One had the feeling that every employee in the section knew where I was until the last post-it, and I could see it in their faces. This was the area of the company with more presence of workers. And had the most activity although, as I said, in theory they had the day off. They seemed to take their job seriously.

Yamauchi is especially pleased and proud of the work of this department. Not surprisingly, as we said, the people obsess over physics formulas that determine the behavior of car accidents. The damage and deformation. The jewel in the crown of Gran Turismo 5, jealously guarded until the end. Obviously we could not see much because of the secrecy which enshrouds this section, but what I saw impressed me greatly.

How long did it take to develop the game?

It took about 5 years. But to put that in perspective, it also took the first Gran Turismo five years to be created. What that tells us that this is more or less the amount of time required to make a product at this level.

Finally, we discuss the deformation and damage in Gran Turismo 5, a burning issue. Gran Turismo has always been known to seek perfection in all aspects; the visuals, the driving experience, and so on. Can we also expect perfection in accidents and consequent damage to vehicles? Banish all doubt.

I'll only say one thing. Our team of engineers did not want to do something that has already been seen in other games. No. I wanted something completely different and new.

Yes, expect perfection.

Truespeed

iamcool388 said:
I hope he knows what he is doing by setting expectations this high, because these might very well turn out to be famous last words.

Famous last words? Right. Compared to the garbage damage modeling that exists in today's games, any significant improvement on that will be perfection.

Truespeed said:
Famous last words? Right. Compared to the garbage damage modeling that exists in today's games, any significant improvement on that will be perfection.

Most people arent going to think that improvement=perfection. I dont think they are doing a good job managing expectations.

Hopefully GT5 will deliver on everything they have said. It would be like Christmas in March (or whenever it comes out in USA.) :D

iamcool388 said:
Most people arent going to think that improvement=perfection. I dont think they are doing a good job managing expectations.

Most people will never see that quote. And on top of that, even based on that quote no one should realistically expect the damage to be exactly like you'd see in real life. Hell, Kaz has already said that they aren't going to pancake cars. They're just going to try to do it at a greater detail than you've seen before.

Yoboman

iamcool388 said:
I hope he knows what he is doing by setting expectations this high, because these might very well turn out to be famous last words.
Is he going to die if they aren't unmatched?:(

Interfectum

iamcool388 said:

Famous last words for Kaz?

The guy can say what he wants - him and PD have earned that right over the past decade.

XTERC

It's a shame about Porsche, I used to own a Boxster so its the only real 'high end' car I've ever owned. I miss it (married now) so I'd like to get my fix somehow.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
In the shop there will be many accessories to improve your cars. The master was particularly proud of this facet of the game. He commented that we can change almost every imaginable piece of the vehicle, not just the typical sections of the engine, brakes, etc
This is very interesting. I'm hoping this means proper visual customisation for the first time. That alone is a feature worth admission

Yoboman said:
This is very interesting. I'm hoping this means proper visual customisation for the first time. That alone is a feature worth admission

It is. Which means that wind tunnel from the PSP teaser might have a bit more meaning than just a quick scene in that.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
It is. Which means that wind tunnel from the PSP teaser might have a bit more meaning than just a quick scene in that.
That has made me more excited than anything else mentioned. If they really put the time into the customisation, they can take as long as they want. And it will take the online competition to a whole new level. Better than a livery editor at any rate

But I still have trouble taking Kaz at his word. I need to see it to believe with this franchise

EDIT:
What wind tunnel?

-x.Red.x-

Yoboman said:
That has made me more excited than anything else mentioned. If they really put the time into the customisation, they can take as long as they want. And it will take the online competition to a whole new level. Better than a livery editor at any rate

But I still have trouble taking Kaz at his word. I need to see it to believe with this franchise

EDIT:
What wind tunnel?
ending credit of GTPSP
I think livery editor is confirmed, it will be dumb if you can mod the car in and out but have stock colors :/

skybaby

Yoboman said:
Is he going to die if they aren't unmatched?:(
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

I just love this meme!

Damodar

SolidSnakex said:

God, that would be so awesome...

Nofi's information does sound way to good to be true, but I'll hope at least the Top Gear track camera angles one is true! I hope there is some decent involvement with Top Gear. It'd be awesome to have a time trial mode where you are trying to beat Stig's times.

Fredrik

After trying the NFS Shift demo that just popped up on Playstation Store I only have one final wish for GT5. Copy the incar view from NFS Shift. So Awesome.

evolution

I wouldn't be surprised if the wind tunnel was in the game. I don't see them making it just for a teaser. Everything they've shown in all the previous trailers have made it into the game.

HD versions of some of the screens I posted earlier

2wmn9sy.jpg

20jlcmp.jpg

28i0m75.jpg

1zlxgfl.jpg

ke9pad.jpg

1znpder.jpg

295eko6.jpg

2hzqr9v.jpg

67jvb9.jpg

335dso6.jpg

2ylo5th.jpg

2vlr8xs.jpg

evolution said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the wind tunnel was in the game. I don't see them making it just for a teaser. Everything they've shown in all the previous trailers have made it into the game.
Don´t really see the point of a wind tunnel. Sure the Cell is powerful and all that, but having a windtunnel to test a new spoiler is not realistic.

Nofis rumours sound a bit to good to be real as well.

Truespeed said:
So in you're saying improved garbage equals perfection... OK got it.

painful fart said:
Don´t really see the point of a wind tunnel. Sure the Cell is powerful and all that, but having a windtunnel to test a new spoiler is not realistic.
Well aerodynamic modifications to your car have to be modelled by the game anyway. I don't think anyone expects CFD to be used, but the game does need to alter the car's characteristics at some level ;)

So why not have a wind tunnel showing while the game is telling you what effect the modifications will have? Use the wind tunnel as an interface. I don't know if PD will actually do that but it seems like a cool idea to me. :D

endlessflood said:
So why not have a wind tunnel showing while the game is telling you what effect the modifications will have? Use the wind tunnel as an interface. I don't know if PD will actually do that but it seems like a cool idea to me. :D

That sounds pretty much like what they've done with the rest of the games menus

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20070920005813363.jpg

gran-turismo-5-prologue-20070920005831207.jpg

Goldrusher

Solid, try to add some spacing between screenshots. I've noticed a few times now you always stick them all together. Would look much better.

Anyway...

2wmn9sy.jpg

skvlkw.jpg

Notice the Bentley (Continental Flying Spur ?) and Maserati (Quattroporte) posters on the building on the right.
I hope those are in the game.

2ls9l4k.jpg

Attention to detail. The real building also has Bentley and Maserati posters.

Goldrusher said:
skvlkw.jpg

Notice the Bentley (Continental Flying Spur ?) and Maserati (Quattroporte) posters on the building on the right.
I hope those are in the game.

Nice find! If there's one Maserati i'd like to see in the game, it's the Gran Turismo MC.

1291_granturismo20mc20-2021.jpg

Photographs of Polyphony staff taking pictures and sound from a Maserati Spyder surfaced late last year. That doesn't mean that it or other Maserati's will be in the game, but it's definitely a good sign.

So they're sending out pictures one day a week for 3 weeks?

Sorry, but I missed what day it was, could somebody tell me what day of the week they get released?

And also HOLY SHIT some of those Ferrari pictures look the same if they had a picture in the same lighting and camera angles.

theignoramus said:
Ferrari 458 trailer.

[ig]http://i35.tinypic.com/10cm6ia.jpg[/img]

I couldnt find a 720p picture of the bottom image.
Some of these shots are making a myth of the GT=poor environments talk.

Are you trying to show that they weren't lying about the quality of the model in that 458 trailer? I can't believe that people really thought that they were bullshitting about it. It'd be pointless for them to do something like that considering how well modeled the cars are in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom