• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibu

Slackbladder said:
Looks like they'll be at least 2 McLaren F1 race cars in GT5, unless it's the same as the first one from GT4 but with an edited livery. But I think it's asking a bit much for a livery editor to be in GT5.
I hope there's a road McLaren F1 in the game too.

Regarding you touching upon a livery editor being within the game, I dont think it is too much to ask of at all. That was one of my favourite things in the original GT actually changing the aesthetics of your car... although livery was not really an option it actually occurred to the car. Forza took this further and implemented it extremely well. I don't think it is therefore too much of an ask, it would be nice. It would add to the longevity of the game and it would make waiting the inevitable 4-5 yrs for a new GT that much more bearable. If they couldn't release it at launch but did so later through DLC, I would dive in. Then again think of the ramifications... some of those abhorrent car designs would make their way in (thinking of Forza here).

Still I am not criticising, I thought Prologue was a great taster for an unfinished game and I eagerly anticipate the full damage model in the newer iteration as well as a new driving experience.

-Amon-

Dunno about that.

IF present, i think it should be confined to racing cars. Join a multiplayer race to only see a Ferrari GTO with a manga hood would kill my day, really.

But now that i think more about it, it would kill my day to see the same manga hood on a Mazda 787.

So no, thanks....

Woz

ibu said:
Regarding you touching upon a livery editor being within the game, I dont think it is too much to ask of at all. That was one of my favourite things in the original GT actually changing the aesthetics of your car... although livery was not really an option it actually occurred to the car. Forza took this further and implemented it extremely well. I don't think it is therefore too much of an ask, it would be nice. It would add to the longevity of the game and it would make waiting the inevitable 4-5 yrs for a new GT that much more bearable. If they couldn't release it at launch but did so later through DLC, I would dive in. Then again think of the ramifications... some of those abhorrent car designs would make their way in (thinking of Forza here).

Still I am not criticising, I thought Prologue was a great taster for an unfinished game and I eagerly anticipate the full damage model in the newer iteration as well as a new driving experience.

I would prefer a sticker editor than a full livery editor. I prefer a car with sponsor sticker than a pimpmobile.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ravien56 said:
I highly doubt a livery editor will be included. It sucks too because that's like half the reason why I like Forza so much.
I've always teased my Forza friends that they like to dress their cars with makeup while GT fans rather race :O

tirant said:
With Forza 3 you get both.
It's kind of one and the same though so.....

ravien56

-Amon- said:
Dunno about that.

IF present, i think it should be confined to racing cars. Join a multiplayer race to only see a Ferrari GTO with a manga hood would kill my day, really.

But now that i think more about it, it would kill my day to see the same manga hood on a Mazda 787.

So no, thanks....
You can't deny how awesome some of the livery stuff is.

Dead Man

-Amon- said:
Dunno about that.

So no, thanks....
Meh, it's not like they are real GTO's or 787's. I would love a livery editor, or at least a way to change colours without having to buy the car again.

Woz

tirant said:
With Forza 3 you get both.
I know, hence my preference for sponsors and vinyls. I want to see a custom car with "racing livery" not a car with lightnings or people's face on the hood :/

ravien56 said:
I highly doubt a livery editor will be included. It sucks too because that's like half the reason why I like Forza so much.

what sort of person wants to spend hours on end with an in-game livery creator?

if there is any sort of editing available in gt5 then it should be templates saved via usb and edited on pc with an image editing suite.

ravien56

Wax Free Vanilla said:

if there is any sort of editing available in gt5 then it should be templates saved via usb and edited on pc with an image editing suite.
You'd be surprised. I wish I knew how to do all that crazy shit that modus is doing like the Crackdown 2 car.

acm2000

Wax Free Vanilla said:

that would take out any skill in making liveries, would be full of crap jpg splattered cars

shpankey

not an idiot
Recoil said:
I disagree, even the interiors are almost spot on now. Weird how that's happened within a generation, but it has.

Visually, cars are about done. GT is almost perfect, Forza is not far behind.

I think from now on, the big things we're going to be seeing are environment and physics. Lots of detail put into collisions, minor physics details, and the elimination of visible polygons from trackside. Full 3D and displacement mapped grass, gravel, and dirt.

Collisions, especially, are very far behind from where they should be.

Smoke is another good one. Both Forza and GT are behind on that one.

Looked great in the last NFS game.
I think you're right. Man, your post has me salivating for that day already. I hope game makers really spend a lot of time on sounds too... this is one area that is a particular favorite of mine. I can't wait till the day when you rev your car in 7.1 surround w/ sub that it's earth shattering awesome hard on OMG. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
acm2000 said:
that would take out any skill in making liveries, would be full of crap jpg splattered cars

Skill should be focused on making the art, not working out how to use loads of preset stickers to layer up to build it.

Yes you'd have some jpg copy/pastes, but you'd also have some really nice work from others who can't use the tricky tools

I wouldn't expect the game to have a livery editor. The only time that's ever been a feature that was mentioned alongside GT was in that GTHD feature list. Now it could be a feature, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for it. The people that want it could have their answer by now but no one asked Kaz about it at TGS.

Dead Man

mrklaw said:
Skill should be focused on making the art, not working out how to use loads of preset stickers to layer up to build it.

Yes you'd have some jpg copy/pastes, but you'd also have some really nice work from others who can't use the tricky tools
Yeah, not to mention there are some pretty crappy cars when in game editors are used as well. It is not like only the great artists use them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:
License plates look ugly :p

I think cars without license plates can be awkward. Especially regualr cars that have a moding for a license plate and no plate. A lot of times even in showrooms they will add a plate with just the manufacturer name or logo because otherwise it looks weird.

Goldrusher

Shouldn't be too much trouble to add license plates. It was in the feature list for GTHD.
As for detailed license plates for every single state in the world, that's simply not possible, they're are thousands. But a simple choice of colors would be easy to implement, with a maximum of 10 characters or something. Perhaps even a flag (of the nationality of your online account) next to it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Goldrusher said:
Shouldn't be too much trouble to add license plates. It was in the feature list for GTHD.
As for detailed license plates for every single state in the world, that's simply not possible, they're are thousands. But a simple choice of colors would be easy to implement, with a maximum of 10 characters or something. Perhaps even a flag (of the nationality of your online account) next to it.

I think they could do either custom letters Euro style or even a preset number of symbols in the background with letters over the top, US style.

-viper-

Banned
AndyD said:
I think cars without license plates can be awkward. Especially regualr cars that have a moding for a license plate and no plate. A lot of times even in showrooms they will add a plate with just the manufacturer name or logo because otherwise it looks weird.
I'm happy with the way it is in GT5P.
gt5.jpg

-Amon-

ravien56 said:
You can't deny how awesome some of the livery stuff is.

I'm not doing it. But resources are not unlimited. So, being gt5 a driving sim, i'd prefer if the resources needed to create a livery editor would be used in something more pertinent to this kind of game. Being more polish, better sound, better ai, or new features like rain, interactive pitstops, you name it.

In my priority list in this kind of game a livery editor is so unimportant... there are literally hundreds of things that come before this.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Good way to start a Friday, HD GT5 footage. :D

As far as the livery editor is concerned, it's something I really want to see in a GT game. I may even pay for it as a DLC of some sort if the feature doesn't ship with the game. That's another thing, I'm really hoping PD sticks with GT5 for post release support. They did quite a bit with Prologue, so here's to hoping.

Cigol said:
Is there some consensus regarding these shots being from replay mode and spruced up? I'd always assumed they are from photomode myself.

There's video footage of them damaging the Ferrari 458 on youtube. Visually it represents the same sort of paint scraping you get in FORZA but with no deformation. There's also screenshots of another car, I forget which, that has dents and cracks but no paint scraping. It looks like their damage model is in very early stages and the marketing peep(s) are using early code to dole out some screenshots. I guess we'll have to wait until closer to release.

The door flapping stuff though... a side-effect of early code I hope!

I honestly didn't think it looked that weird. I remember seeing once a long time ago a real rally event where the driver was driving with one hand and trying to close the door with the other, it was flapping just like the video. It didn't look damaged, but the lock was probably busted or it was slightly warped and it looked pretty much the same as that video. So I guess I'm saying it could have happened.

crazygambit said:
I honestly didn't think it looked that weird. I remember seeing once a long time ago a real rally event where the driver was driving with one hand and trying to close the door with the other, it was flapping just like the video. It didn't look damaged, but the lock was probably busted or it was slightly warped and it looked pretty much the same as that video. So I guess I'm saying it could have happened.

i don't think it's so much about the way the doors swing, it's how frequently the hood/doors swing open - the are many measures put in place on race cars to stop that happening after a collision.

At a guess i'd say it's a combination of early code and PD simply wanting to show off the feature hence the overacting damage.

Iknos

SolidSnakex said:
Polyphony has posted the FT-86 video in HD

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/tv/d8468.html

Time to update my avatar. Though I prefer the particular design I'm sporting it's what's inside that counts.

Graphics Horse said:
This might be splitting hairs, but I think it's just bloom done right rather than chromatic abberation.

That's what I was thinking as well.

Bloom is evident in most pics too. PD implemented it so subtly but it adds a certain photorealism to all the pics.

34s30y8.jpg

I'm sure a lot of people would look at that and won't notice the bloom.

i-Lo

So is the polycount on average for each vehicle still around 200K with interior and exterior?

Blimey! I having a hard time imagining how they'd pull off Nascar races with number of cars north of 10 and with real time deformation and disintegration!! O_O

aryanr said:
So is the polycount on average for each vehicle still around 200K with interior and exterior?

Blimey! I having a hard time imagining how they'd pull off Nascar races with number of cars north of 10 and with real time deformation and disintegration!! O_O
Offloading any visual effects that isn't triangle / fillrate related will allow PD to push the polycount and draw rate in scenes. Uncharted 2, with all it's crazy visual effects and AA is pushing 1.2 million triangles per frame. I would expect the same or more from PD, since they are using less effects during gameplay (to keep that 60fps).

Also, the 200k models will never fill the field all the way - usually just the front LOD based models and then everything else can lose interior modeling, or reduce everything down to 10,000, etc.

SolidSnakex said:
This was pointed out on GTPlanet by John Parry. Could the course shown in that FT-86 video actually be the Stelvio Pass?

According to Top Gear, isnt that the best road to drive on in the world??

Edit: I ask because the angle from which the topmost pic was taken is almost exactly reminiscent of the camera angle of that top gear episode. If its not the same road, then its very uncannily similar. I'll try and find the video for that segment.

DarkJC

iamcool388 said:
According to Top Gear, isnt that the best road to drive on in the world??

Edit: I ask because the angle from which the topmost pic was taken is almost exactly reminiscent of the camera angle of that top gear episode. If its not the same road, then its very uncannily similar. I'll try and find the video for that segment.

Yeah, it is. Seen that episode at least 3 or 4 times :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SolidSnakex said:
This was pointed out on GTPlanet by John Parry. Could the course shown in that FT-86 video actually be the Stelvio Pass?
Oh, my god. My jaw was literally on the floor during that Top Gear episode. Absolutely stunning.

Truespeed

SolidSnakex said:
24e6vb6.jpg

There's no question it's the Stelvio Pass in the Italian Alps. Here's the real image

O-Stelvio%20Pass-07%20Europe%20bike%20trip_315.JPG

Truespeed

DarkJC said:
Pretty sure that image you quoted is also a real image :lol

To the untrained eye, perhaps. But, if you look closely you can tell it's really GT5. As real as real gets.

I really thought it was a GT5 screenshot

JCtheMC

I thought putting the Top Gear Test Track in the game was the epitome of fan service. Putting in the Stelvio Pass (definitely my favorite TG episode) would make this the driving GOTF for me. Here's to hoping.

(img redacted.)

Sixty hairpins. Good luck.

If you take into account Polyphony's attention to detail this is not the Stelvio Pass because the sign/formation of the barriers is completely off then you have the roadside grass in GT5.

The track is in the Swiss Alps and part of the Eiger Rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom