• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
Well this was posted on GTPlanet yesterday

Not much, but at least the slow trickle of news continues.

Forgot to add I'm bored about new car list entries announcements/rumors as well :p

I give it for granted that GT5 will have lots of cars and tracks and will probably get content updates till the day flying cars will be everywhere.

I need moar. I need something like a video showing 12 cars fighting/crashing/rolling on a never before seen track in a rainy night. :D

That said, I understand most of the GT fanatics mainly care about what cars will be there.

bud

new (google translated) interview

CBS: And speaking of new features – as it looks, with weather and time of day?
Yamauchi: If you look back at the history of racing games, there were different weather conditions, or day and night racing games already in the eighties. But when we 1997 “Gran Turismo” made, not great at first, we dealt with such features, they did not bother us particularly. We are constantly experimenting with weather and lighting conditions, and such things. If we had, we might feel tomorrow integrate into the game. But whether this feature is present or not is not the decisive factor. It’s about whether this feature is the overall quality of the game actually increased or whether it reduces it. Just out is our attention.

CBS: You do not say whether these features in the game or not?
Yamauchi: We are experimenting with it. I want to stress again that the value of a game does not really depend on how many features are offered, all of which in the final game is available. That does not decide whether a game is good or not. What we focus really is the question of whether the game is good in its entirety or not. We have to proceed somewhat cautiously.

but.. benoit treluyer confirmed these feature a while ago on jvn or whatever!

bud said:

Some are whining about that over at GTplanet even though it's nothing different from what he's previously said. They're working on those features and they'll be in the game as long as they can get them to a point where they're running properly They just aren't going to commit to those features until then because people will jump all over them if they do and those features don't end up in the game.

-Amon-

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I'd like Oran Park, Phillip Island, Surfers Paradise and Bathurst :D

Bathrust is iconic and i would like it to be present, but Phillip Island looks more suited to bikes, i don't think it would work very well with cars....

Oran Park is nice but if you put Oran Park in the game, than you have to put in so many other tracks...

Dead Man

-Amon- said:
Bathrust is iconic and i would like it to be present, but Phillip Island looks more suited to bikes, i don't think it would work very well with cars....

Oran Park is nice but if you put Oran Park in the game, than you have to put in so many other tracks...
LOL, you say that like it's a bad thing!

Ranger X

SolidSnakex said:
Some are whining about that over at GTplanet even though it's nothing different from what he's previously said. They're working on those features and they'll be in the game as long as they can get them to a point where they're running properly They just aren't going to commit to those features until then because people will jump all over them if they do and those features don't end up in the game.

So in short, its the same answer again as with the damage since YEARS. "We'll put that in the game when we feel its good enough". Well, this is a bullshit reason. Why is there wet tracks in GT4? Because it's better to have that than zero wet condition racing. Same goes for night racing, damage, cockpit view, etc. Since TOCA PS1 i'm playing racers with cockpit view, decent damage, better collisions than GT4, weather, many cars on track and in overall those games were great.

It's false to think GT5 doesn't need to deliver those simple features. It absolutely needs it imo, if only to feel the game has evolved where hundreds of other racers have been already. I would take anything that truly complement racing directly before any extra feature like photo mode, livery editor or any other flashy-cool features that doesn't bring anything to racing.

Vlightray

Ranger X said:
So in short, its the same answer again as with the damage since YEARS. "We'll put that in the game when we feel its good enough". Well, this is a bullshit reason. Why is there wet tracks in GT4? Because it's better to have that than zero wet condition racing. Same goes for night racing, damage, cockpit view, etc. Since TOCA PS1 i'm playing racers with cockpit view, decent damage, better collisions than GT4, weather, many cars on track and in overall those games were great.

It's false to think GT5 doesn't need to deliver those simple features. It absolutely needs it imo, if only to feel the game has evolved where hundreds of other racers have been already. I would take anything that truly complement racing directly before any extra feature like photo mode, livery editor or any other flashy-cool features that doesn't bring anything to racing.

What any feature extra is a must after all this time of waiting. But for me the biggest is Cars,Tracks and Huge amount of tuning.

-Amon-

idahoblue said:
LOL, you say that like it's a bad thing!

The Oran Park part you mean ?

I meant that before Oran park, being GT5 a worldwide release not particularly aimed at Aussies, there are at least 10 real tracks that come before that.

Bathrust instead is more known around the world, so there are in my opinion more chances to see it represented in sims.

That's all.

-Amon-

Vlightray said:
What any feature extra is a must after all this time of waiting. But for me the biggest is Cars,Tracks and Huge amount of tuning.

Development time is always a finite resource. We're not even sure to have rain and night in gt5. I'd hope every gt fan would prefer to have those instead of a livery editor.

Huggers

Quick question, sorry for my laziness but to save me trawling through the thread, whats the news on the EU/NA release dates?

Ranger X said:

There's nothing even remotely "simple" about weather and damage. No one is going to sit here and argue that a photo mode, a livery editor ect are more important than weather or night racing. The difference is that neither of those features are really going to have an impact on a games performance. And that's where the issue with weather and day/night cycles comes in. It has nothing to do with them not wanting to do it. They're actually working those specific features, so it's not a matter of "when they're good enough", it's a matter of "will they impact the game in a negative way".

The biggest issue here is that GT5 has to run at 60fps. There are multiple racing games this gen that have weather and different times of day, but guess what they all have in common? They run at 30fps.

The Hug Dog said:
Quick question, sorry for my laziness but to save me trawling through the thread, whats the news on the EU/NA release dates?

Kaz has said that all versions of the game will be done at the same time so it's up to the different parts of Sony to determine when they launch.

Goldrusher

We are reaching closer to reality, I think the first 10-15 seconds with GT5 make you realise how much has changed. The cars are easier to drive, but when you lose control, the reactions of the vehicles are more realistic then ever before.
When it comes to any element of GT racing experience, the rule is: if it can't be done right, it's not going to be done at all. And that goes for GT 5's new dynamic weather system too, which still might not make the final cut. Yamauchi tells us why: "Night racing is going to be part of GT5, but with things like dynamic weather, the choice is about whether it will improve the experience. The functionality is not a problem - we've got the weather system done - but if we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the riving experience, we are not going to have it in the game".

OPM UK

Good to see him come straight out and confirm that night racing is in. Now if they'd only give us that TGS trailer so that we can see what it looks like.

And weather doesn't seem all that unlikely going by the OPM quote. They've still got several months of development to work things out.

torontoml

Its nice when things are laid out in plain English, I know it was translated for OPM UK since Kaz doesn't speak much English, but that is pretty clear cut.

-x.Red.x-

When it comes to any element of GT racing experience, the rule is: if it can't be done right, it's not going to be done at all. And that goes for GT 5's new dynamic weather system too, which still might not make the final cut. Yamauchi tells us why: "Night racing is going to be part of GT5, but with things like dynamic weather, the choice is about whether it will improve the experience. The functionality is not a problem - we've got the weather system done - but if we are not sure about the quality of it, and how it improves the riving experience, we are not going to have it in the game".

Put it in Kaz

IN THE GAME PLZ

oh man

AndyD

aka andydumi
-x.Red.x- said:
Put it in Kaz

IN THE GAME PLZ

oh man

I would not mind non dynamic weather (preset rain, wet, dry like GT4) if that helps. But I understand what he means. It introduces a huge dynamic into the game and it has to be done right.

Dead Man

-Amon- said:
The Oran Park part you mean ?

I meant that before Oran park, being GT5 a worldwide release not particularly aimed at Aussies, there are at least 10 real tracks that come before that.

Bathrust instead is more known around the world, so there are in my opinion more chances to see it represented in sims.

That's all.
LOL, yeah, I got you, it just read a bit like you didn't want more tracks. I do understand what you're saying though.

They should figure out how to link the weather system to the weather charts that were in GT5P. Most races in GT games are only 2 or so laps long. So dynamic weather wouldn't really play an important role outside of 24h races. So if they essentially have the weather system constantly on, like if they linked it to those charts, it'd be make a pretty big difference.

-viper-

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They should figure out how to link the weather system to the weather charts that were in GT5P. Most races in GT games are only 2 or so laps long. So dynamic weather wouldn't really play an important role outside of 24h races. So if they essentially have the weather system constantly on, like if they linked it to those charts, it'd be make a pretty big difference.
If they've actually got the weather system in place then I don't think it should be too difficult. They already had the weather and temperature display in GT5P for many cities around the word.

Raining in London? Then switch on rain when you race on London. Night in New York? Night racing in NY etc.

-viper- said:
If they've actually got the weather system in place then I don't think it should be too difficult. They already had the weather and temperature display in GT5P for many cities around the word.

Raining in London? Then switch on rain when you race on London. Night in New York? Night racing in NY etc.

Like it.

-viper- said:

That's what i'm talking about. That was my first thought when I saw that the map in GT5P keeps track of the time of day as well as the weather conditions in the different track locations.

Of course as far as weather goes, i'd be happy even if all you could do is select the weather type that you want before a race. Sure a real time weather system is better, but having any type of weather would still be great.

There should be some sort of GT5 post on the PSblog tomorrow as these were just posted on the PSblog Flickr account

24vpuz8.jpg

16icjmr.jpg

Those are the 2007 and 2008 SEMA winners. So it'll be about that show which is coming up next week. They should mention whether or not a playable build will be there also.

2real4tv

SolidSnakex said:
There should be some sort of GT5 post on the PSblog tomorrow as these were just posted on the PSblog Flickr account

24vpuz8.jpg

16icjmr.jpg

Those are the 2007 and 2008 SEMA winners. So it'll be about that show which is coming up next week. They should mention whether or not a playable build will be there also.

What is that bottom car Nissan Z or Altima?

Did he say dynamic...do it right release it as DLC imo

Vlightray

-Amon- said:
Development time is always a finite resource. We're not even sure to have rain and night in gt5. I'd hope every gt fan would prefer to have those instead of a livery editor.

Oh hell yes I'd take night and weather over livery.But all three even better. Really hoping that this Gt5 is the best Gt yet.

EcroFeG

bud said:

an optimized version translated by myself:

Disappointment for the "Gran Turismo (GT 5)" fans: The much-anticipated PS3 debut of the brilliant racing game series no longer appears in 2009. At a press conference held at the Tokyo Game Show GT-father Kaz Yamauchi announced the release date: march 2010 – in Japan! When the game will appear in Germany, he left open. When visiting the developer Polyphony Digital studios in Tokyo, our news team got new infos about "GT 5" (there are over 950 vehicles, more than 20 places and over 70 track variations) and spoke to studio head Yamauchi on the date issue.

COMPUTER BILD SPIELE (CBS): There are now almost 150 people working on "Gran Turismo 5" and yet the game is not finished, why?
Kazunori Yamauchi:"GT 5" is difficult to develop.

CBS: Why?
Yamauchi:The dimensions of the game are huge, it is simply too great. It is so complex, so vast in its scale.

CBS: Is "GT5" too ambicious? Are you too ambitious?
Yamauchi: We must reach a certain standard. The benchmark for a "Gran Turismo" is now very high.

CBS: Isn't there a great danger that the people who don't want to wait anymore go out and look for other racing games?
Yamauchi: That may be true, but there is nothing that would let us develop the game faster. It's not like we're slowing down at the end. We do our best.I didn't have a single day of rest this year, but the game is still not finished.

CBS: "Gran Turismo" is one of the most important games for the Playstation brand. Isn't Kaz Hirai (CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment) knocking on your front door every day with the request to finish the game? And finally, to sell more PS3 consoles?
Yamauchi: He is not always here, but we really have pressure. And we do the whole thing not just for him, in my eyes it's more of a liability to the company Sony, which has encouraged me and helped me to this life.

CBS: Is it true that you don't test other racing games and that you draw your inspiration solely from real racing?
Yamauchi: Almost true, but our people will buy a lot of the newest racing games, try them out, and discuss the features and differences between our games. And as far as I know, it's usually so that the other developers take us as an example. So we get rather less inspiration from them for the creation of our games. I think the most important thing is to really drive the car and take part in races - so thats the way I refer a lot of inspiration.

CBS: Why is it so important to accommodate a variety of online options in a modern racing game?
Yamauchi: The original games were played simultaneously by a crowd of people, like soccer or baseball. And what is obviously happening here, is the communication between all of these people. Video games have only been there relatively recently and are a rather rare format in which one man plays the game for himself. I believe that the games with online connection, simply return to their original shape. You meet with your friends on a course and show your car, drive a time race and then come back to your friends for a little conversation - these are normal things that you would do in real life too, and so far this wasn't possible in "Gran Turismo ", but now it is. That makes a big difference. I think it is more about the natural progress of things, I would not even describe it as a great new feature.

CBS: The damage model does not feel very realistic, why?
Yamauchi: The main reason is probably that the game is still in development. What we are currently showing, is not the final product.

CBS: We may expect realistic accidents?
Yamauchi:It depends a bit on how far you go.I have seen real accidents, where cars were squeezed to 30cm (12 inches, my american friends) height, we can not go that far. But we want to make it as realistic as possible.

CBS: And speaking of new features - as it looks, with weather and time of day?
Yamauchi: If you look back at the history of racing games, there were different weather conditions, or day and night racing games in the eighties already.But when we released "Gran Turismo" in '97, we didn't care for such features, they did not bother us particularly. We are constantly experimenting with weather and lighting conditions, and such things. If we had to, we could integrate it into the game by tomorrow. But whether this feature is present or not is not the decisive factor. It's about whether this feature actually increases the overall quality of the game or whether it reduces it. And there lies the main part of our attention.

CBS: So you don't want to tell whether these features are in the game or not?
Yamauchi: We are experimenting with it. I want to stress again that the value of a game does not really depend on how many features are offered and what will be available in the final game. That does not decide whether a game is good or not. What we really focus on is the question of whether the game is good in its entirety or not. We have to proceed somewhat cautiously.

CBS: If you were not into motorsport like you are now, what kind of games you would like to design?
Yamauchi: Before the first "Gran Turismo", I had brought about a hundred proposals for a variety of video games, from adventures to puzzles to RPG games and from pretty much any genre. But if I had to choose one off of racing games ... Recently, I began to think that I would like to make a game that deals with the issue of life and death in the life of a man. Their meaning ...

CBS: Why are the Polyphony Studios housing so many bicycles?
Yamauchi: Well, everyone in the company loves bicycles.

CBS: They're just standing around like that?
Yamauchi: They are also riden.At the moment, there is a huge cycling-hype in Japan , road bikes and mountain bikes are very popular.

CBS: Then we can expect a tour-de-France game from you?
Yamauchi:Yes, that would be something that I would like to make and to have Lance Armstrong in here ...

hirokazu

SolidSnakex said:
Well this was posted on GTPlanet yesterday

Not much, but at least the slow trickle of news continues.
This is good. I'm not crazy about Australian cars, but I wish they got more representation in Gran Turismo.

GT PSP had, what, one FPV and no Holdens? I hope there's at least Mt. Panorama or something too. (A Sydney track is also something that's on my wishlist, but probably highly unlikely :/)

mr_nothin

Banned
Stupid interviewers with these stupid interviews. They've been asking the exact same questions forever. It's the same exact interview year after year.

Like exactly the same.

If you think that was a bad interview then don't track down the recent NowGamer interview with Kaz. You'll want to kick in your monitor after reading it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ashbash159 said:
Kaz, please show us a new track AT LEAST at the event next week. I'm getting so bored with the "this car is in GT5" updates.

I think weve been getting constant track peeks/reveals in the past 2 months though through those fancy video trailers for new cars.

No names, but definitely stuff we had not seen before.

- the game is going to be released next spring.

- Digi Expo version is the newest code .

- Track Editor confirmed at 2:25 by saying "You can make your own tracks." :D

amar:

Third tale says that for the first time ever skypaths will not be just solid and already known but that new skypaths will be built by birdtamers from the parts of existing skypaths.

- "Online is going to be huge in this game too."

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nettitv/?8520265

Yeah, I saw that. It's certainly a possibility that different parts of Sony have a feature complete code as that guy is claiming. But I really don't know about the track editor. I'm not exactly sure how it could even work.

-viper-

Banned
Create your own tracks? Megaton if true. I personally think it sounds too complicated to simply create your own tracks, unless they look very plain.

Speaking of tracks, I hope this circuit is in the game:
14-4517-yas-marina-hotel1.jpg

The Yas Marina Circuit. Simply beautiful. :O

BeeDog

Every little blurb about this game feels like a complete uncertainty or, dare I say, lie. Actually pisses me off that it's an out-of-touch Japanese company with bad experience of keeping in touch with their fanbase that's behind this game.

Where's a chespace-san when you need it the most? :p So many fucking contradictions all over the place, JUST POST A FUCKING PROPER FEATURE LIST, or at least pieces of it gradually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom