• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
worldstiniestpenis said:
it's the inevitable cost of this generation.

think of it like this: final fantasy took that route. in final fantasy xiii they couldn't provide towns in consistent detail, so what did they do? they took them out, turning the game into a railroad of stunning but barely navigable environments. this wasn't a half-hearted effort from a low-budget developer: it was simply not practical despite the massive budgets to do what they had done in previous generations with the current high, extremely time-intensive standards.

the problem is, without compromising in quality, final fantasy xiii was shite. the technical limitations in turn limited the gameplay drastically, and what we ended up with was nothing close to the engrossing experience we'd had in iterations before it

that's the reason i trust the GT developers: they are doing the right thing. they are bringing high standard and depth, at the price of inconsistency. for me gran turismo wouldn't be gran turismo if i didn't have a used car shop jammed with hundreds of curious relics to motoring history; it wouldn't be gran turismo unless i could globe-trot between night-races in tokyo and the shores of monte-carlo, places more fantastic, and everywhere in between.

that's me, anyway. gran turismo has always been about the simulation's dizzying depths, and i just don't think that would have been possible by constructing every asset from scratch, to this generation's ridiculous, untenable standards

I disagree. If it had only shipped with 200 premium, it still would have been more than GT3. It's the typical GT cycle of the first game of the gen shipping with relatively few cars and the second shipping with a crazy number.

Cramming in a ton of sub-par models and stripping out features makes it look half-assed, rather than looking like a finely polished, albeit smaller, game.

I guess it's just a matter of what I expect of PD.

jcutner

reading this thread religiously daily, for the past few weeks (or the other various GT threads) has been amazing

and now the hype is at new levels, since it's so very nearly CLOSE :D

god damn, i cannot wait.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I dont really remember a game with so many people complaining about negative impressions on nonlinked non-English gaming forums.

I mean whats the point. We can't discuss those impressions really. Game isnt out.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Silly question for the owners of the US Version:
If you change your XMB language to Spanish do the ingame texts change too ?

evolution

noire said:
I disagree. If it had only shipped with 200 premium, it still would have been more than GT3. It's the typical GT cycle of the first game of the gen shipping with relatively few cars and the second shipping with a crazy number.

Cramming in a ton of sub-par models and stripping out features makes it look half-assed, rather than looking like a finely polished, albeit smaller, game.

What features were stripped out?
edit: oh Youtube, is that it? Thats nothing

My Inbox said:
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed by you or by our customer service department.

ws8ksi.jpg

MMaRsu said:
Maybe I should take the day off the day after my birthday too :lol . Think I'll be pulling an allnighter with my new Ps3 and a boatload of exclusive titles :D

You didn't have a PS3 up till now? In that case make sure you get Uncharted 1 and 2. But I'm sure you got that covered.

Synless

As I said in the other thread, GT5 is the 200 premium cars and whatever tracks are not a GT4 port. Everything else is the GT HD collection. Thinking of it this way, I can see no wrong with the decisions they made.

i just find it perplexing that someone would honestly argue that a catalogue of 800 cars being brought back to life in a new lighting/rendering/driving engine is a bad thing

edit: especially considering how manic the internet gets over 'hd' re-releases of stuff like god of war and SOTC. trust me, if they hadn't crammed this into the $60 you're spending on gran turismo 5, you'd be paying another $60 somewhere down the line. people are starting to realise that even the last generation's assets are too good to just throw away

This thread is going turn super crazy when allot of reviews start coming out .
To make matter worst some people that are reviewing the game have no idea what they are talking about.
I don't expect GT 5 to get high scores , it going to get pick apart no matter what .

elohel

maybe i was wrong, was just basing what i said on this forum and comments i read on the official site that breaks down the features

Metalmurphy said:
If anyone here is ignoring stuff it's you. You pretty much admitted it already.
wat.

Dude, I already told you I don't have the time to read every single page of this thread and it doesn't have anything to do with the rest I said.

e:
Metalmurphy said:
I'll make it simple for you. Most people here on gaf, that actually have the game, are enjoying it, many of them loving it. Then you jump on me because I said he won't be disappointed based on this? Why do you care what I say anyway? Just go your own way please.

LOL

Why do you care if others like this game or not? Let them criticize it as much as they want and stop being so fucking defensive about every little thing. I thought you were more like SolidSnakeX. You know, reasonable and sane. Damn ...

worldstiniestpenis said:
i just find it perplexing that someone would honestly argue that a catalogue of 800 cars being brought back to life in a new lighting/rendering/driving engine is a bad thing

It's not really, but it's hard not to view it as a 'weakest link' kind of thing. I do understand how some might experience it as cheapening the rest of the content. A proverbial thorn in the eye.

Erebus

Why am I not surprised that there are a lot of negative comments in here already?
The reviews are gonna be interesting.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Synless said:
As I said in the other thread, GT5 is the 200 premium cars and whatever tracks are not a GT4 port. Everything else is the GT HD collection. Thinking of it this way, I can see no wrong with the decisions they made.
You're exactly right. It's half new, half GT:HD. I think each person's opinion will differ, and reviews will be all across the board.

spwolf said:
stripped compared to what?

Hum... to what was announced? :p

brotkasten said:
LOL

Why do you care if others like this game or not? Let them criticize it as much as they want and stop being so fucking defensive about every little thing. I thought you were more like SolidSnakeX. You know, reasonable and sane. Damn ...
The fuck man? How is me telling someone that he won't be disappointed turn in to me being "fucking defensive"?

*Sheesh* You know what? I really don't give a fuck, I'll say whatever I say and if you don't like it, there's an Ignore feature. It ain't GAF Gold exclusive.

worldstiniestpenis said:
It is if you drive with cockpit view and realize that 80% of the cars are "not for you". That's kindof a bummer.

If there were only 200 premium cars then we'd all be chatting back and forth over which premium car is the most awesomest. But since those 800 standard cars were added, now we have people anxious about avoiding those cars if possible, and complaining that their favorite car is in the game but only as a standard model.

Mutagenic said:
You're exactly right. It's half new, half GT:HD. I think each person's opinion will differ, and reviews will be all across the board.
This is how I'm approaching it, but that's kind of a self inflicted jedi mind trick to avoid reasonable disappointment.

spwolf

NullPointer said:
It is if you drive with cockpit view and realize that 80% of the cars are "not for you". That's kindof a bummer.

If there were only 200 premium cars then we'd all be chatting back and forth over which premium car is the most awesomest. But since those 800 standard cars were added, now we have people anxious about avoiding those cars if possible, and complaining that their favorite car is in the game but only as a standard model.

This is how I'm approaching it, but that's kind of a self inflicted jedi mind trick to avoid reasonable disappointment.

who cares how the car looks really... i mean important part is how they drive, right? i would be seriously pissed off if they ever remove these 800 cars from any future GT. Seriously pissed.

Shaneus said:
Is that not in it? Fuuuuuck. Any kind of video uploading/transferring available?

Oh, and the photomode... where do the pictures go?

Doesn't appear to be anything.

As for pictures, you have to go the the Gallery and export them from there.

worldstiniestpenis said:
it's not perplexing at all. GT has been just as much about the beauty and effort that has gone into modeling the cars as it has been about the racing and physics. Gran Turismo was always a visual sight to behold and will always be part of the attraction. so when the majority of cars (not the majority we'll use, mind you) look noticeably sub-par, a part of the traditional experience of looking at sublime cars is taken away. visual quality and fidelity matters to many Gran Turismo lovers. Only now that we know some of the Standard cars look below OUR standards do we find ourselves in this kind of discussion, with people pointing out their disappointment and others rabidly dismissing their genuine concerns despite the fact that most of us here are lovers of the series who really just want the best looking, most polished Gran Turismo game from top to bottom that it can be. 6 years can create some expectations. then again, 6 years should.

Personally, I won't have a strong feeling until I see it. As long as I don't have to race against too many of the worse looking cars, I'll be fine. And I assume I won't notice the somewhat terrible (at times) environment problems because hell...I'll be focusing on accelerating through my next turn.

The game is what it is. It may take some hits in the reviews for these cars and occasionally crummy environments...but for those who've been looking forward to GT because of the gameplay that makes GT so special, we'll be happy.

I just...I can see this thread melting down if this game averages an 89% or something. And it's just so unnecessary.

test_account

XP-39C²
NullPointer said:
Wow.

Believe me I'm a fan of the game, and if its just Prologue with a ton of new content I'll be happily satisfied with my purchase.

But it still pains me to see this inconsistent standard/premium stratification throughout the game. I just don't understand the decision to include last gen content right alongside work that sets a new quality standard. It makes the whole thing seem schizophrenic, and by design it will most certainly lead to disappointed people, especially those who haven't kept up with every last bit of news on the game.

I think it would have worked out better across the board if the game only shipped with the 200+ premium cars, with the best tracks - and then offer post release DLC for free that includes all the standard cars and tracks, as a "bonus". Its kindof a trick, but at least it allows GT5 to be judged for the hard work that went into it - not as a hodge podge of content.
If they only included 200 cars, then people would probably complain about that as well, probably like "omg! 5 years in development and only 200 cars!" :\ And including over 1000 cars does allow you to drive more cars at least, which is also probably a very good bulletpoint in terms of sales for the more "casual" players of the GT5 games :)

But totally see what you're saying. If they only had included premium cars etc. in GT5, then about everything would look amazing indeed.

spwolf

btw, which is supposed to be worst looking track? i want to check it out... all i am seeing right now is a lot more impressive than GT5P.

TEH-CJ

Banned
btkadams said:
but is it really a reason big enough to give it such a poor graphics rating? seems kind of strange to me, but i havent played it i have only watched a bunch of gameplay vids. maybe it is really brutal.

It is. don't let screens fool you, the game is very inconsistent with its graphics. pretty dissapointing. and this is coming from a GT fan and ps3 fanboy. I say it how it is though, I have no bias.

Elios83

The italian website everyeye.it has the first part of their review out. There will be a second part covering online functionality with the final score (notice the difference with that other french website...).
Basically they say that it's a great racing simulator which can offer incredible longevity and has its strong point in the well balanced driving phisics.
They also say that the title is inconsistent, for something that is absolutely top notch there's something else that feels rushed or not complete (of course damage, standard cars are cited as examples).
The reviewer states that people who'll be able to dodge the raw parts will vastly enjoy the title. Others thinking about how long they have waited and how many things still need to be improved will feel disappointed.

spwolf said:
who cares how the car looks really... i mean important part is how they drive, right?
damn, now how the cars look don't even matter? how the goal posts move. Let's be honest: I don't think anyone expected some of the standards to look as mediocre as they do...even with the forewarning.

I agree I'm glad the cars are there, though. But after looking at the premium car list, it'll be pretty unlikely that I'll ever use the Standards unless I have to. Buying standard cars used might be advantageous from time to time...but they won't be fun to look at in the garage or take pictures of or anything. that removes a lot of their attraction.

test_account said:
If they only included 200 cars, then people would probably complain about that as well, probably like "omg! 5 years in development and only 200 cars!"
Those people would be laughed out of here, and justifiably so. I mean, seriously:

bipkch.jpg

And hey, I've never advocated removing the standard cars and/or tracks. Just saving them for free, post release DLC, as a bonus to the fans. Not sure I'd download the content to be honest, given the choice.

commedieu

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
damn, now how the cars look don't even matter? how the goal posts move. Let's be honest: I don't think anyone expected some of the standards to look as mediocre as they do...even with the forewarning.

I agree I'm glad the cars are there, though. But after looking at the premium car list, it'll be pretty unlikely that I'll ever use the Standards unless I have to. Buying standard cars used might be advantageous from time to time...but they won't be fun to look at in the garage or take pictures of or anything. that removes a lot of their attraction.

You're wrong. I expected standard cars to look like standard cars. And you know hes referring specifically to the standard cars saying their looks dont matter. If you want to talk looks, load up a premium and see its the standard for sims as we know it. I'll use standards as cockpit view is fun for fapping, but for laptime cut downs, I do bumper view to see the track. & I personally love cars & watching my replays... I just say I because you said you don't think anyone expected....

I just hope most of the GT sadfaces can race worth a damn online. It will be interesting to see how slow folks are since they are focused on the trees & standard cars.

NullPointer said:
Those people would be laughed out of here, and justifiably so. I mean, seriously:

http://i52.tinypic.com/bipkch.jpg[/IG]

And hey, I've never advocated removing the standard cars and/or tracks. Just saving them for free, post release DLC, as a bonus to the fans. Not sure [I]I'd[/I] download the content to be honest, given the choice.[/QUOTE]
concur. but it doesn't matter, really. it is what it is. party on.

THE:MILKMAN

noire said:

The problem is this: The "model" of modelling cars has changed from a few week's in GT4 to 3-6 months.

It would take PD's ~30 modellers 5 years to get to 500 premiums, hence the decision to include GT4's+PSPGT's standard cars.(no matter how hard that is to accept)

We won't see 700+ premium cars till GT7...........

The sad thing is, the most important aspect of the standard cars is that the physics are "GT5"! Nobody mentions this.(spwolf get's it)

spwolf

Dreams-Visions said:

i dont know whos goal posts moved, my sure did not... i am car nut, them cutting off standard cars would be like cutting off my hand.

Metalmurphy said:
The fuck man? How is me telling someone that he won't be disappointed turn in to me being "fucking defensive"?

No, that's not defensive at all and it's not want I meant. Your other posts however ... Well. Maybe you should read them again. But yeah, it's cool. Next time I'll show you what I mean. I promise.
Or maybe I won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom