• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
MidnightRider said:
zombiejeffgordon.gif

"Bawk bawk chicken head"

PetriP-TNT said:
RE: Loeb challlenge.

HOW... IN... THE...WORLD... AM... I... SUPPOSED...TO...DO...THIS????? AARGH
jeffgordonmeme02.jpg

Serious answer and I posted it earlier, aside from turning off TCS and ASM, I put 4WD on 50/50 split and put my front brakes on 8. I easily golded the rest of the Loeb events.

And I'm glad my Zombie Jeff Gordon is making the rounds here. I have tons more quotes and images waiting in the wings. :lol

LCfiner

Psychotext said:
This is pretty much exactly the sequence I just went through. Just... beyond a joke.

I swear if the racing wasn't so good I'd have smashed the disc to pieces. It didn't annoy me much to start with but it's REALLY pissing me off now. When I can remember I make sure I write down the tyre type for an event before buying a car... but it still doesn't save much time. Utterly, utterly retarded. Just let me buy cars / tyres / parts at the fucking event screen ffs. Why no searching for cars either? There's 1000 vehicles in the damn game and you didn't think to include a search on the dealerships?

yup, been there, done that. it's not a well thought out UI. too many clicks and loading screens to get new cars, modify car parts, review race restrictions, etc... they must not have put an emphasis on usability testing.

G Rom

Xater said:
I thought those were pretty easy....

Yeah me too, got all the gold with no assists except ABS set to 1 (Dual Shock..) and automatic transmission.
The hardest was Chamonix IMO, as it's much more technical than the giant snow roads that you get in the Gran Turismo Rally...

G Rom said:
Yeah me too, got all the gold with no assists except ABS set to 1 (Dual Shock..) and automatic transmission.
The hardest was Chamonix IMO, as it's much more technical than the giant snow roads that you get in the Gran Turismo Rally...
Really? I thought Eiger was the toughest as I initially didn't have the track knowledge. I plowed through Chamonix. (wow... no pun intended :lol )

milkham said:
Does anyone know if GT5 works with the old usb logitech wheel that came out for GT4? Can't think of the model number

Yes it does.

Ohshit... I didn't realise that the last of the pro events was against proper race cars. My poor level 7 bspec driver is getting abused in his (admittedly insanely specced) Lambo LP 640. :lol

He got 4th in the first race though, which I'm quite impressed with. :)

Zombie Jeff Gordon would be hilarious in the Forza 3 vs GT5 thread. :lol

And last night before I went to sleep I race spec'd a Corvette ZR1 and got it up to 877 hp. With all the extensive weight reduction that race modifying does, my Vette is insanely quick especially on the turns after I modified the camber and downforce settings. I think I can take GT All Stars now when I get back home from work. :D

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
My miniguide to B-spec basics:

I am not a pro in B-spec, but there seems to be a lot of guys who don't know how to control the AI driver, so here is my tips tp you guys.

Lez do eet:
- The driver will suck in the beginning, unless you control his tempo with the commands correctly. BLUE zone is better when you begin from lvl 0.
- At first, AI will lose unless you give him a car that is about 2x more powerful than others

See the cool-hot -icon in the center. It is there for a reason. To keep the driver balanced
- If the driver is in the RED, he will spin easily, so order him to slow down
- If he is in the BLUE end, he will be slow but secure, so order him to up the pace if necessary
- Center is nice and balanced, BUT in the beginning the sucky driver will spin, or go off track even when balanced, so try to keep him in the BLUE side mostly

- Cool-Hot -meter is easiest to control and learn when you practice with section times.
Use LIVE TIMING for this and compare your drivers times against himself lap-by-lap, or to his opponent in front of him.
Control section times with DECREASE, MAINTAIN PACE, INCREASE tools. (This is actually nice for trying to improve AI laps in long races and becomes quite addictive.)
- Dont push him too hard when he gets out of physical and mental strength.

- The driver will overtake even if you don't tell him to do so, if he is fast enough.
- Pushing too much OVERTAKE, will make him go careless, so only use once or twice per lap in the beginning of career, more when he gets experienced.

- You get a second driver slot lvl 5 and another lvl 10.
- When you level the driver to about 7-9, he can drive some laps in the RED zone without spinning depending on the stats, so be patient until you get there. The more XP you have, the more you can push the driver to the RED.

That's it. I hope this helps somebody and at leasts lessens the "why my driver always spins even when he has the best car!!!!111" complaints. ;)

Edit: LabouredSubterfuge tip: Buy the best tyres for that particular race you select. Makes a big difference. (dofry note: and I agree on this. I ALWAYS do this.)

n0n44m

milkham said:
Does anyone know if GT5 works with the old usb logitech wheel that came out for GT4? Can't think of the model number

I got the Formula EX which apparently is a GT4 wheel for like €40 last year (for NFS Shift ...) and it works great with GT5 :D (comfort is a bitch but now I can delay spending 275 on a G27:lol )

turnbuckle

Psychotext said:
This is pretty much exactly the sequence I just went through. Just... beyond a joke.

"Ok, so I'll do a bspec race"

*Select BSpec**Loading**Select Level**Select Event*

"So, what do I need to use"

*Select Restrictions**Back*

"Not sure I've got one of those, maybe I won a standard version"

*Select Garage**Standard**Back*

"Nothing there, off to the dealership."

*Home**Loading**Select Dealership**Loading*

"Not sure who sells a car light enough, from the right country etc etc"

*Press**Loading**Back**Press**Loading**Back**Press**Loading*...etc

"Fuck, no premiums, I'll have to go to the used dealership"

*Home**Select User Dealership**Loading*

"Miracle... there's one there, ok let's race!"

*Purchase**Confirm**STUPIDDELIVERYSEQUENCE**Confirm**Loading*
*Select BSpec**Loading**Select Level**Select Event*

"Goddamnit no, I need comfort soft tyres"

*Home**Select Tuning**Loading**Select Tyres**Select Type**Purchase**Confirm**Confirm**Confirm**Back**Home*
*Select BSpec**Loading**Select Level**Select Event**Select Driver**Confirm*

***30 SECONDS OF LOADING***

I swear if the racing wasn't so good I'd have smashed the disc to pieces. It didn't annoy me much to start with but it's REALLY pissing me off now. When I can remember I make sure I write down the tyre type for an event before buying a car... but it still doesn't save much time. Utterly, utterly retarded. Just let me buy cars / tyres / parts at the fucking event screen ffs. Why no searching for cars either? There's 1000 vehicles in the damn game and you didn't think to include a search on the dealerships?

Oh god... this times 1000. Even if it's been said a thousand times before, even if it's been a problem in the past, there's no excuse for all the down time in the game or the cumbersomeness of trying to get a car that not only meets the requirements of the race, but of knowing how that car will stack up to the competition if you're even able to find one. Again, I'm new to sim racing so some of it certainly is due to my ignorance but the learning curve would be more manageable if the navigation was streamlined (loading times, no-brainer options like having a shop filter what cars are available for the race type when you select that race, etc.).

I really really like the game, but it so often feels like it doesn't want to let me play. If I didn't have my laptop next to me to browse the forums and other sites while I waited during all the down time I would probably be too impatient to move forward with the game. If it's too difficult to manage through the PS3, then have a website where we can do all that micromanaging stuff so when it's time to play we can just play.

dofry said:
My miniguide to B-spec basics:

I am not a pro in B-spec, but there seems to be a lot of guys who don't know how to control the AI driver, so here is my tips tp you guys.

Lez do eet:
- The driver will suck in the beginning, unless you control his tempo with the commands correctly. BLUE zone is better when you begin from lvl 0.
- At first, AI will lose unless you give him a car that is about 2x more powerful than others

See the cool-hot -icon in the center. It is there for a reason. To keep the driver balanced
- If the driver is in the RED, he will spin easily, so order him to slow down
- If he is in the BLUE end, he will be slow but secure, so order him to up the pace if necessary
- Center is nice and balanced, BUT in the beginning the sucky driver will spin, or go off track even when balanced, so try to keep him in the BLUE side mostly

- Cool-Hot -meter is easiest to control and learn when you practice with section times.
Use LIVE TIMING for this and compare your drivers times against himself lap-by-lap, or to his opponent in front of him.
Control section times with DECREASE, MAINTAIN PACE, INCREASE tools. (This is actually nice for trying to improve AI laps in long races and becomes quite addictive.)
- Dont push him too hard when he gets out of physical and mental strength.

- The driver will overtake even if you don't tell him to do so, if he is fast enough.
- Pushing too much OVERTAKE, will make him go careless, so only use once or twice per lap in the beginning of career, more when he gets experienced.

- You get a second driver slot lvl 5 and another lvl 10.
- When you level the driver to about 7-9, he can drive some laps in the RED zone without spinning depending on the stats, so be patient until you get there.

That's it. I hope this helps somebody and at leasts lessen the "why my driver always spins even when he has the best car!!!!111" complaints. ;)

Good advice here. I'd like to add that when tuning a car for your b-spec driver, buy the best tyres available for that event. It makes a big difference.

Leunam

donkey show said:
Zombie Jeff Gordon would be hilarious in the Forza 3 vs GT5 thread. :lol

And last night before I went to sleep I race spec'd a Corvette ZR1 and got it up to 877 hp. With all the extensive weight reduction that race modifying does, my Vette is insanely quick especially on the turns after I modified the camber and downforce settings. I think I can take GT All Stars now when I get back home from work. :D

As in the race mod option offered in GT Auto? Do you mind giving a run down on what the changes are? I almost pulled the trigger on this for my Camaro SS.

Can anyone suggest a race car (and how I get it) that I can use for the last of the Pro events. I don't currently own one.

Edit - Or seeing that post above... maybe a list of which cars can be race modified?

-viper-

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Good advice here. I'd like to add that when tuning a car for your b-spec driver, buy the best tyres available for that event. It makes a big difference.
Is B-Spec only 'playable' in real time? Or can we speed it up like in GT4.

The more I see the stuff he wants to put in and/or fix the more I'm glad Sony lit a fire under his ass to get it out the door. The game is absolutely awesome as it is and can only get better. I don't care about his perfectionism, I'd rather play what I have and see the updates trickle in to keep the game fresh.

The shoddy G27 support is kind of baffling though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dofry said:
That's it. I hope this helps somebody and at leasts lessens the "why my driver always spins even when he has the best car!!!!111" complaints. ;)

It won't because the AI still sucks in a suped up Lambo in the Supercar challenges of B-Spec. And they're both level 5-7. Screw them both. I could run that race one-handed and win it. >:|

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
Can anyone suggest a race car (and how I get it) that I can use for the last of the Pro events. I don't currently own one.

Edit - Or seeing that post above... maybe a list of which cars can be race modified?
What kind of cars are you facing in that race?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Only real-time at the moment. I like to get my driver out in front then I can pretty much leave him be.

Sure if he doesn't spin out in your suped up car. Which happens... OFTEN.

TheSeks said:
I've never had that happen with any of my drivers when they're in the lead. Only problem I have is that if I don't watch them they go to sleep and start lapping 5 seconds a lap off their best pace.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
YES!! I ASKED KAZ ABOUT THE NO HUD OPTION

His answer:

Kaz via Google Translate said:
The future, I would .... deal

I would too !
YES! I think theyre going to add the no hud option in a future patch. HE SAID DEAL!!! :D

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
Fast ones... ;) I'd say GT2 cars... will check though.

Edit - Ford Mark IV Race Car, Honda Rayberg NSX, Nissan GTR Concept LM...
You can buy a Raybrig NSX from the Honda dealership for 500,000 and add some upgrades to it to make it 650+hp.

Not sure what races you'll need to grind to save up for the money though. I'm no where near that far in the game :lol (I've only completed Amateur and Beginner race series).

Alternatively you can race spec a ZR-1 for grand total of 750,000.

"SAIL IC @ GTPLANET:
Fully upgraded the ZR-1 RM gives 905hp att 1100Kg weight. My tune

Downforce: 35/53
Transm.: 360 km/h (380 at Nordschliefe)
Initial torque: 10
Acc sens: 20
Brake sens: 10
Ride h: 5/5 (35/35 at Nordschleife)
Spring: 16.6/14.4
Damp ext 9/7
Damp comp: 9/7
Anti RB: 3/5
Camber: 2/1.5
Toe: 0/-0.30
Brakes: 5/7"

You should smash through the event with the ZR-1 as it's almost double the HP of the race cars you've mentioned. It also might be useful for the GT All Stars race too.

TheSeks said:

I've only had this happen once, and it was because the car was too powerful for the tyres it had on which meant they over-heated and caused the car to spin out on a corner.

-viper- said:
You can buy a Raybrig NSX from the Honda dealership for 500,000 and add some upgrades to it to make it 650+hp.
I might have a look through the used dealership. Sometimes see the race cars in there. Don't think I have that sort of money at the mo.

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
I might have a look through the used dealership. Sometimes see the race cars in there. Don't think I have that sort of money at the mo.
Acquiring money in this game seems to be extremely tedious and difficult :\

Seems like the driving challenges (go kart) give you the best money per time but they can only be used once :\

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
keyrat said:
Kaz just commented about a no HUD mode:

"将来、なんとかするつもり。"

Which machine translates into: "The future, I would .... deal" or "In the future, the intention of somehow"

So I imagine his comment is that it could happen.

http://twitter.com/Kaz_Yamauchi/statuses/9659418488602624

Beaten but yea.
Yeah i asked that. :D

-viper- said:
Acquiring money in this game seems to be extremely tedious and difficult :\

Seems like the driving challenges (go kart) give you the best money per time but they can only be used once :\
It's because of my asshole bspec drivers (I'm mostly playing bspec as I'm working). They can't seem to win without insanely upgraded cars. :lol

n0n44m

TheSeks said:
It won't because the AI still sucks in a suped up Lambo in the Supercar challenges of B-Spec. And they're both level 5-7. Screw them both. I could run that race one-handed and win it. >:|

yeah it's a good guide but I'm now running into B-Spec races were my level 9 and 11 drivers are never close to winning even though I give them pimped out cars, because their opposition isn't that much slower anymore, their overtaking skills suck and they brake wayyyyy to early on the straights

example: no issue winning the Ferrari Monza race with my max tuned 458, but my B-spec drivers let the Enzo's pass every single time at the braking point on the straight, if they get by them in the first place that is... so now I need to buy an Enzo, tune it again and ... why am I spending so much money on drivers that are supposed to be making money for me in the first place :/

Psychotext said:
It's because of my asshole bspec drivers (I'm mostly playing bspec as I'm working). They can't seem to win without insanely upgraded cars. :lol

This is the only problem. I'm constantly penniless because of my B-spec drivers needing double the pace I would to win anytthing.

-viper-

Banned
Psychotext said:
My B-Spec driver doesn't win unless I give him directions. And that too - the car needs to be double the power of all other cars on the field. :\

alba

Little is the new Big
Xater said:
Also for anyone wondering Kaz said tha tthe X1 unlocks at lvl 30.

You mean the "Sebastian Vettel challenge unlocks at level 30" which then you need to complete to get the X1 :p

donkey show said:
Serious answer and I posted it earlier, aside from turning off TCS and ASM, I put 4WD on 50/50 split and put my front brakes on 8. I easily golded the rest of the Loeb events.

Sorry, but there is not option to change car settings in the Loeb challenges.

PjotrStroganov said:
What functions do the G25 buttons correspond to?

I want to assign the handbrake to the right red button but I have no clue which.
i was thinking the same thing on my g27.
how do you hand break?
and how do you reverse in a 6-speed?
and in the options menu, which wheel type should i pick?
there's none for a logitech wheel. :/

Leunam said:
As in the race mod option offered in GT Auto? Do you mind giving a run down on what the changes are? I almost pulled the trigger on this for my Camaro SS.
It basically purchases the following off the top of my head:

- All weight reduction mods except for the chassis one
- All customizable mods (suspension, transmission)
- All racing spec mods (intake, exhaust)
- The ability to customize downforce

I don't remember if it buys the tires, but I doubt it. Also aside from the weight reduction mods, it essentially goes beyond what those mods would do on the stock version, giving you a much lighter version.

And here are all the cars you can race modify:

Acura NSX RM '91
Chevrolet Camaro SS RM '10
Chevrolet Camaro Z28 RM '69
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) RM '06
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) RM '09
Dodge Challenger R/T RM '70
Honda CIVIC TYPE R (EK) RM '97
Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5) RM '04
Lexus IS F RM '07
Lotus Elise RM '96
Lotus Elise 111R RM '04
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR RM '05
Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) RM '02
Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STI spec C Type RA RM '05
Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R) RM '95
TVR Tuscan Speed 6 RM '00
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI RM '01

-viper- said:
"SAIL IC @ GTPLANET:
Fully upgraded the ZR-1 RM gives 905hp att 1100Kg weight. My tune

Downforce: 35/53
Transm.: 360 km/h (380 at Nordschliefe)
Initial torque: 10
Acc sens: 20
Brake sens: 10
Ride h: 5/5 (35/35 at Nordschleife)
Spring: 16.6/14.4
Damp ext 9/7
Damp comp: 9/7
Anti RB: 3/5
Camber: 2/1.5
Toe: 0/-0.30
Brakes: 5/7"

You should smash through the event with the ZR-1 as it's almost double the HP of the race cars you've mentioned. It also might be useful for the GT All Stars race too.
The reason why I made it. :D

I need to break mine in a little more to get that top HP as mine is at 877, but those tunes are really similar to my ZR-1 RM. Off the top of my head, I think my initial torque settings on my LSD were 15 and roll bars were 4/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom