• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searched at lunch with no luck. Will continue the grim hunt after work.

Somewhere in Toronto there is a copy of GT5 with my name on it.

phosphor112 said:
Hey guys check this out.

Ok this was posted earlier... but watch it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Em0hqBrPNM

He's driving an F430, a car with "flappy paddles," but look at what he does when he shifts... the hand goes down and doesn't downshift using left paddle. Maybe it's a replay glitch since the other flappy paddle cars use the paddles...

Good question. I know the F430 has an option for the manual gearbox, but I don't know if you can get it along with the flappy paddles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/leftcoastclassics/4113671658/in/photostream/

Gek54 said:
How do you assume everything else is right? What it shows is that GT5P tire physics is wrong and car behavior, which is entirely dependent on how the tires behave against the road, is wrong, very wrong. With the front tires locked, the cars in GT5p can change the direction of their trajectory, its not just pivoting.

Again, I made that video I can tell you exactly what is going on in that video. I noticed something was way off about GT5P's physics and found out why, the game lets you turn when you shouldnt be able to, and then made a video proving that point. I can show that it happens on all other tracks, with every car on the game.

Im not saying they havnt fixed it, I am hoping they have, which is why I asked if Amar has proven that the half assed tire physics are no more.

I meant that the tire model is not the only variable involved when it comes to comparing this to real life. Momentum, suspension, etc. I was simply stating that it could be several things slightly wrong instead of one thing completely wrong. Every GT has and always will have some sort of short coming in the physics engine, but the "Jesus physics" comment is hyperbole imo.

Alucrid

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They worked with the Time Trial so there's no reason that they shouldn't work with the full game.

So...do paddle shifters only work with cars that have paddle shifters or is it just free reign with whatever you feel like?

Gek54

gutterboy44 said:
I meant that the tire model is not the only variable involved when it comes to comparing this to real life. Momentum, suspension, etc. I was simply stating that it could be several things slightly wrong instead of one thing completely wrong. Every GT has and always will have some sort of short coming in the physics engine, but the "Jesus physics" comment is hyperbole imo.

Turning when your front tires are locked and walking on water, they seemed to be in the same realm of miraculous achievement.

The Hug Dog said:
Ok yep, just doing a championship at the mo, when I'm done I'll check for you

Thank you very much.

Im over hyped!. I received today my Driving force GT and ordered a wheel stand pro, that will be sent on tuesday due to the great demand as GT5 is coming ( as the makers told me literally in an email ).

TylerD

My excitement is really ramping up now that I know there are more Gaffers getting their hands on it.

I want to live vicariously through you!

edit: where is Amar's technical update? Damn you work for blocking GTPlanet.

phosphor112 said:
The F430 doesn't come with a stick unless you special order it, you can also clearly see the paddles behind the wheel.

The F430 can have both. And if you use the paddles the ingame model uses the padels, if you use the manual shifter then ingame model uses the that as well. Pretty sure that's how it works on GT5P as well.

Gek54 said:
Turning when your front tires are locked and walking on water, they seemed to be in the same realm of miraculous achievement.

Complete a full lap with your front tires locked and we can start to validate your conclusion. Until then, it is just a single video showing a single circumstance. With that, I am done with arguing about an old game and spending my efforts tying to find a place selling GT5 in NYC.

TylerD

Someone please post the Q&A update 2 from Amar's thread on GTP. He discusses the steering refinement from the TT Demo. TIA

belvedere

Junior Butler
TylerD said:
Someone please post the Q&A update 2 from Amar's thread on GTP. He discusses the steering refinement from the TT Demo. TIA

# SECOND UPDATE

First to say that sound is greatly improved (I have a large 5.1 setup). Best sound is from the roof-cam (no hood cam, it's final), while tyre sound is refined additionaly. Spund of impact is vastly improved when you bump into other cars.

NO MULTISCREEN OR LAN OPTIONS SO FAR.

No new tracks in Arcade so far. No Sienna too (probably opens after Kart test).

GT Life mode. - spoiler alert, highlight for content:

You can choose design of your racing suit (only once per save) and then design your My Life space (backgrounc color, profile picture (from the PhotoModes, interesting??), you can choose from 12 beautiful sceneries for the Home Wallpaper and edit your Welcome Message.

When in Used Car/Dealership garage, every car (all in Used Car are Standard Models) have a Demo. During the demo you can watch the car being auto-piloted on the test track with great motor sounds due to track configurations - and car story being displayed as an roll-on txt. Despite many members will later find evidence to contrary, I have to admit that during Demo Drive, for instance Nomad Diablo/Plymouth Cuda/Callaway C12 looked very ok. Standard cars looks way better than I expected, but far from complexity of Premiums.

Also, Demo Drive is dome on some special Test Course (probably Cape Ring, not sure at this point), and cars go uphill, downhill, slow and fast, in order to catch the sound and variations of the engine sound (Doppler Effect presented there is amazing). And I assure you that Diablo/Cuda/C12 (oh the V12 ) all sounds freaking beautiful. Driver in Demo Drive will sometimes make a small mistake, force skidding or even drifting - which is a nice touch.

Before going to Licenses you have to purchase a car. Purchasing a car in some colour gives you the Paint Item for that colour (for body or rims).

Now heading for the Licenses. Expect additional updates soon.

UPDATE SECOND AND HALF

OK, all National B Licenses done (10 of them), all Golds.

Nothing particulary challenging, but it was fun to see some licenses from the times of the very first Gran Turismo in the new era All licenses are done with Premium cars as expected.

Notice that Skid Recovery is permanetly on and it can't be set to off for al N-B Licenses. Other assists can be turned off, but you have to do it manually for every new License. Some things never change in he World of Gran Turismo Also notice that quantity of OSD data during in-cockpit is noting short of fabulous Position, map, current time, prize times, best time, all gauges, split-times... My dear Lord. Polyphony sticks to the roots of 15 years ago

For all Bronzes in N-B you get legendary Demio Sport '03. For Silver and Gold you get (spoiler alert): OFC Concept '07 and ZZ-S '00.

Notice that winning all N-B with Gold will get you to Lv. 4 and unlock Kart, JG Nascar and Top Gear Special Races (ones with appropriate level).

Also, N-B 10 License hosts 16 cars on track, so that one question is also settled pretty much.

Will come back soon, I have to do further search into some options now.

There's been a couple more since then fyi.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
QA Session update

Amar said:
Good morning people.

I have collected many quotes of questions and opinions from last 20 pages and I'll answer them here during my early morning coffee break.

So, we start with my favorite so far:

C.D
not a word regarding damage (which will likely blow) yet, you've got to be ****ing kidding me. Further proof that all of the guys who've gotten the game early are just a bunch of clowns hired by Sony to do viral marketing for the game and build up hype.

Staff Edit - This member just got banned for this post (along with a history of poor behavior - this kind of attitude will not be tolerated - Scaff

Thank you for your nice words sir, it is always welcomed to have such a high-profiled marketing analyst around here. Please notice that your humble opinion regarding implementation of damage can't be answered easily by Clowns because GT5 is a huge game, with slow progress-curve and there is many things to be opened or discovered that can't be done in week of playing.

However, thank you once more for your distinguish approach to the matter.

My second favorite:

alilsneaky
The amar guy could very well be, he doesn't have to be ofcourse, but jesus ****ing christ the way he hypes the game is a bit obnoxious, it's like watching a toy commercial...

I want to see framerate while racing, proof of screen tearing or lack thereof, word from PD on vsync , news about the resolution, how good is the vibration function on the controller in gt5 (was usually awesome in ps2 games but most ps3 games seem to have something akin to my cellphone to save battery power), how is split screen? how long are loading times if you don't install the game and most of all proper IN RACE footage of car damage without the stupid arcade mode excuse.
Staff Edit - This member just got a warning for this post - this kind of attitude will not be tolerated - Scaff
I don't hype the game, sorry. I am just making an subjective overview of the game from my personal perspective. I'm not payed to do review here, all I want is to share some of my initial feels and thoughts to people who are members of this community. I am sorry if you find that offensive by any mean, it was not meant to be that way.

As for issues you describe, I stated in my last update that I've encountered some occasional slowdowns, but nothing important in my book. Screen tearing will probably be experienced in some point, but I haven't seen any on my set. I read on NeoGaf that V-Sync is probably off for GT5 because of technical reasons, but until Digital Foundry posts their report I will sustain to comment on that because I do not have sufficient technical expertise not equipment. If it means anything to you, GT5 is graphically the best racer I have ever seen, so take that as a hype, or just as an subjective opinion. I am aware that many people will find their complaints, but while they complain about this or that, they could better improve their driving skills instead of counting frames. There is no perfection oh hardware with 256MB of graphic-CPU, but it is also the main reason why I find final result even much more impressive.

As for controller, I haven't play with it, I use the wheel only, sorry. I will try split screen later today. I instal the game immediately, so I can't tell about loading times for non-installed game. But yes, loadings are longer than in Prologue for instance, but still noticeably faster than in "other games". You can find answer regarding showcasing of the "damage" in answer above, cheers.

eSZee
I think that it's the same sort of situation as going up to Jack Nicholson and asking him to give you his take on the current state of the LA Lakers.

Antonisbob
I wonder if the Diesel Le Mans cars have better fuel efficency than the gas ones?
Maybe they will have, since game clearly states that fuel depletion will depend upon engine type (although it does not explain in further) and way of driving.

krishy_123
..what replay options are available? Also when you said there is no Rewind, did you mean like how GRID/Forza etc have a gameplay rewind function or did you mean replay rewind?
There are many replay options, but I still didn't found time to actually explore replays from technical POW (logger, replay save, exporting to USB stick, attachment to messages in XMB maybe, and so on). I'll do many of such technical explorations today afternoon.

And by REWIND I meant gameplay rewind, yes.

GeeTeeR
There better be Moon Over the Castle somewhere in the Japanese version, or I'm cancelling my Chinese version import.
At this point we know that Official GT5 Soundtrack CD is announced for Japan and it will be available from Dec 22. CD lists "Moon Over The Castle GT5 Version" as the first song - and we can safely presume it will be opening title song for Japanese game - but there is no MOTC on my PAL game, nowhere to be found among 189 tracks listed in Music directory. It is shame, I agree.

Here you can find info about GT5 Soundtrack Album and track listing for both CD's (site is on Japanese):
http://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=696143

cicohipe
But when games like (That Microsoft one) and others are allowing rim changes plus body kits and more, it definitely seems like this game should have them included.
You can change bodykits, rims and such on Premiums, so technically those things are included. To compare, "other games" even remotely do not have many of features of GT5, so it basically comes down to what is more important in driving genre. Answering to that question is pretty much subjective thing, but GT5 obviously have change of rims, bodykits and such, together with plethora of other features that none other game I know can tackle in one complete package.

blue cat
Do you have any idea if the G27 shift lights will work, and if the face buttons are all programmable? i know you only have a G25 atm, but any wheel info is welcome.
No idea about G27 lights, but I have serious problems in configuring my G25 to all the functions of the game It remains to be seen will G27 allow mapping of extra-wheel buttons to different functions, from my experience when testing G27 with Prologue, game was mapping all 6 extra-buttons as same function.

I will also be testing parallel usage of controller and wheel in the same time later today, so it will be part of technical update.

StogyBear
Can you drive the standard and premium versions of the same car and see if there is a difference in the feel. Or actually just any standard car to see if the car feels different than the premiums. I feel like the standard cars have been overlooked I just want to be proven wrong lol
Since I only do Licenses at this point, I haven't use any cars except Premiums. But will try that also later today in technical update, stay tuned.

MaruchanSoup
He hasn't mentioned anything about damage :eek:
Because I haven't encountered any, look at the first answer

88c-v Racer
Would you be able to shed any light on what can be customized if anything besides the rims? Also, can all street cars get the Race Mod?
Selected Premiums will be able to get the Race Mod, but I have no idea which ones, I know that first car I bought - MX-5, Premium - can't have it From what I saw, you can add front and side aero-kits, rear spoilers and change rims, but availability of those procedures is limited by car-to-car basis.

slipp3h
Hope you're able to get head tracking working later, I would really like to hear more about this feature. Any idea why it doesn't work on tracks with pit stop?
Have no idea why it will not work with pit-stops enabled, Game Manual says so. I also can't understand why Headtracking does not work for me, will check on that too. However, friend of mine told me it could be inter-conected to 3D option, which will be a bummer if true, since I do not have 3D set. Will explore this to.

LeGeNd-1
No splitscreen
2-player split screen is in, there is no option to have multi-screen.

This is multiscreen, as in GT4 for example:

Justin
Do you have to take pics from the replay or can you access photo mode via the pause menu while on track?
You can't access it during the race, you have to finish the race in order to have replay at your disposal and then use the PhotoMode feature.

Hanako787b
lol.. I just realized I forgot how long the replay recorded during the 24 hours races on GT4, I think I remember seeing it as being full after about 2.5 hours... does anyone else remember that... I actually would hope to have all those long races recorded,:
There was no full-race replay in Gran Turismo series since the first game (it was the only GT so far that could "record" the replay for up to 99 laps, we tried it in fact, back in 1998 ). Game Manual points out that "some of the replays can't be saved by full length due to length of the actual race" but it remains to be discovered how much data RAM can sustain.

This concludes this session, I'll be making Technical Update later today, thanx for reading!

few additional answers:

sinbad
Can you drive ANY car on the courses made at the Kart Environments in the Course Generator?
While in Course Builder game allows you to test tracks - even those labeled with Kart - with choice of cars, so I believe it will allow it. I haven't actually save any tracks yet, only made few tests of overall possibilities of the CM.

TheCracker
Just one question for you. I know it's what everyone has really been waiting to hear confirmed. Do standard cars have reverse lights?
I really don't know, I'm driving cockpit-only (bumper on STDS). But will check

objp
Anything about the AI? Hopefully they're not totally stupid like they have been in past GT games.
Regarding AI, here is my answer to same question I made on NeoGaf forums:

Before answering I have to elaborate on this.

I am a 100% clear racer and I try to drive racing simulations as I would drive the car in RL. I also do not tend to exploit the physics and tracks (going crazy over kerbs, going off-track and over shortcuts, passing on impossible places and so on).

Said that, I was amazed with AI in GT5: Prologue because it was the most convincing AI that I ever witnessed in any video game. Of course, during Mission test you had to make few dirt moves in order to pass the tests (especially on One Lap Magic tests on Pro physics), but if you'd settled your own race with 20 laps and then try to race 100% clean - including taking no shortcuts and such - it was a breathtaking race experience.

I know many people didn't dig Prologue's AI, although I can't understand why.

I find AI of GT5 advanced over Prologue, especially in blocking procedures. Also, AI drivers make mistakes and they fight among themselves - which makes for some great moments. However, they will brake on time if you're in front of them (no more GT-GT4 bumping), when you pass they'll try to regain position on the very fair manner and so on.

In short - in my personal book, GT5 have the best AI routines I've ever seen in genre so far.

objp
Also....how come you can't drive without ABS? I've never had a problem with brake lockup in any racing sim with my G27. Makes me question the whole physics write-up when you can't even slow the car without the game holding your hand.
I never said I can't drive without ABS, I just said it is very difficult to drive without, although I also pointed out that actual non-ABS braking is more refined than in Prologue.

Non-ABS driving heavily depends on car you're using. I had almost no problem at all with JGTC Castrol Supra, but I had serious sensitivity-problem with stock cars, such as M3. At this point I haven't developed enough finesse in my foot to sustain more than 3 lap of concentration for non-ABS driving since it asks for serious concentration - especially when battling AI on Professional AI setting.

G25 pedals are more stiffer than those on DFP/DFGT wheel, but even with them you have to be extremely careful while applying brakes, because it is very easy to lock them and go into spin. It was the main point of my elaboration of that particular issue. However, it is probably a matter of time-investment into skill itself, together with additional investment into some hard sponge (for DFP/DFGT users respectfully).

PlayGT5tilludie
Are you able to catch a slide (oversteer) using your G25 and actually perform a drift?
Yes. You will soon find out that physics is in fact very refined Academy TT Demo physics - as I stated earlier. Refinement now includes work done especially in the field of tire-grip and feel of the weight-transfer on the steering wheel. If you can imagine complex physics as those in Academy Demo with proper grip and skid-snap included, you'll have the picture

Huggers

Damage report; Just crashed my brand spanking new yellow Lancer pretty badly. It was left with the wing and bumper hanging off and a hefty looking dent.

Overall impression after a few hours with the game. It is incredible. Stunningly pretty. Robust and believable physics. So much to do. This game could steal your life

The Hug Dog said:
Damage report; Just crashed my brand spanking new yellow Lancer pretty badly. It was left with the wing and bumper hanging off and a hefty looking dent.

Overall impression after a few hours with the game. It is incredible. Stunningly pretty. Robust and believable physics. So much to do. This game could steal your life

Awwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

belvedere

Junior Butler
The Hug Dog said:

On one hand, thank you, fucking thank you for the impressions.

On the other hand, fuck you, FUUUUUUUCK YOU for making my wait even more excruciating.

:D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Hug Dog said:

Make out with the bluray @__@

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The Hug Dog said:

Robin_Van_Persie.jpg

Once again though, we already can see this game will be monumental.

Adamm

The Hug Dog said:

:D :D

FFFFFUUUUUU...

a176

Banned
The Hug Dog said:

... and you drove off like nothing happened? still waiting for solid confirmation on mechanical damage.

Bobo

Alucrid said:
So...do paddle shifters only work with cars that have paddle shifters or is it just free reign with whatever you feel like?
Yeah you can use paddles for any car however you can only use H gate for cars that have a H gate option IRL. (This was the case with GT5:prologue anyway.)

belvedere

Junior Butler
a176 said:
... and you drove off like nothing happened? still waiting for solid confirmation on mechanical damage.

I believe damage influence is affected by what skill level/mode you're playing in.

Alucrid

Banned
Bobo said:
Yeah you can use paddles for any car however you can only use H gate for cars that have a H gate option IRL. (This was the case with GT5:prologue anyway.)

Gotcha, thanks. Now I remember hearing something about the clutch pedal not working. Any truth in this?

offshore

The Hug Dog said:
Fuck fuck fuck why is this game not in my PS3 right now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
WTFing said:
I can't believe it! Gt5 is mine but i can't play it until tomorrow. :lol fffffUuuuuu
Yesterday i was playing gt5p!
FFUUUU indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom