• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDizzi

Banned
NullPointer said:
Those people would be laughed out of here, and justifiably so. I mean, seriously:

bipkch.jpg

And hey, I've never advocated removing the standard cars and/or tracks. Just saving them for free, post release DLC, as a bonus to the fans. Not sure I'd download the content to be honest, given the choice.

Like really? REALLY?

I have not touched a standard car yet and doubt I will however what is so wrong with the option being there? There are part of the used cars section and it is not mandatory to use, what a silly thing to say. ow about the online, played some more and still no credits were awarded, has it been scrapped for GT5? So so stupid is that is what has occurred.

mil6es

Ok I just got back from the Midnight launch of GT5 from Gamestation but with a surprise, I went in there armed with just 30 pound gift card and 10 quid to cover the rest for the standard game and left with a signature edition :lol

Expliantion

Gamestation we're doing a raffle for 1 single signature edition and I won, my new lucky number is 72 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

KingDizzi said:
Like really? REALLY?

I have not touched a standard car yet and doubt I will however what is so wrong with the option being there? There are part of the used cars section and it is not mandatory to use, what a silly thing to say. ow about the online, played some more and still no credits were awarded, has it been scrapped for GT5? So so stupid is that is what has occurred.

Apparently having them there causes an inconsistency in the game, and people end up hating it more.

mil6es said:
Ok I just got back from the Midnight launch of GT5 from Gamestation but with a surprise, I went in there a
a?

Psychotext said:
The fuck? I've posted about what I like, I've asked about what concerns me and I've posted about what I don't like. Please point me to where I'm "crying" about anything, aside from the RS200 being standard. :(

What's it to you that I'm asking questions / posting my opinions?

And when exactly was that? I've read every single post in this thread and don't recall one good thing you've said tbh.

LyR said:
first review

see, I told you it will have terrible Aliasing problems ... just like GT5P

Well that seals the deal for me. Not getting it.

Really don't care about the non-premium cars. I mean 200 premium cars is not even for people?
BUT a only "a few new tracks", very jaggy graphics, reused non "premium" tracks, no motion blur whatsoever, sub-par texture & effects in parts?

What did they do these 5 years?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Metalmurphy said:
Apparently having them there causes an inconsistency in the game, and people end up hating it more.

Only the tourists. People who expect GT in their GT and who were happy with Prologue all seem to love it.

See You Next Wednesday said:

Really don't care about the non-premium cars. I mean 200 premium cars is not even for people?
BUT a only "a few new tracks", very jaggy graphics, reused non "premium" tracks, no motion blur whatsoever, sub-par texture & effects in parts?

Speculative fiction from a tourist's first post in the GT5 thread, right on queue.

:lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
LyR said:
gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

no joke ....

yup. some of the tracks look so horrible...its just..wow. with only a handful of tracks that look decent and only 200 premium cars that are let down by bad AA no matter how detailed they are. it leads to a very unpolished experience.

I will play the game for a long ass time as I love my cars and its the only decent car sim on the ps3. but it so far off the mark of what I expected the game to be.

6/10

Whores and race cars.

meppi

Honest question here.

I've never really been a fan of Gran Turismo as I've always been an arcade racing fan, but looking at some of these gameplay videos is giving me the impression that the way the cars feel and control seem to be very close to F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast, which I absolutely adore.

But videos can only do so much.

So can anyone confirm that it's somewhat on the same level of control/gameplay or if the game feels totally different.
I realize that all the cars will have different characteristics and physics, well that's what I expect anyway.
So keeping this in mind, what do you think.

I'm pretty sure I will pick up the game if it's close to that kind of experience.

oatmeal

Banned
mil6es said:
Ok I just got back from the Midnight launch of GT5 from Gamestation but with a surprise, I went in there armed with just 30 pound gift card and 10 quid to cover the rest for the standard game and left with a signature edition :lol

Expliantion

Gamestation we're doing a

:lol

Awesome spot to stop...

MMaRsu

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I dont really remember a game with so many people complaining about negative impressions on nonlinked non-English gaming forums.

I mean whats the point. We can't discuss those impressions really. Game isnt out.

Well the game is out really, just not where you live. Impressions are still impressions, even if I can't copy/paste them cause they aren't in English.

Fallout-NL said:
You didn't have a PS3 up till now? In that case make sure you get Uncharted 1 and 2. But I'm sure you got that covered.

Never had a Ps3 but always wanted one. I guess this is as good a time to jump in ( lol ) as any. Got myself a nice HDTV these days, and Ps3 exclusives are pretty cheap. But yeah I'll have to wait till december 7th to actually play on it grr :(. Gives me more time to look for some cheap titles like UC1+2.

LyR said:
gran-turismo-5-playstation-3-ps3-447.jpg

no joke ....

Oh god, so it is true. Just look at the forest at the far background. The entire thing is a low res PSX sprite, almost like it was directly lifted from the PSX/PS2 game.

Someone post a premium track to counter this please. I want to see some good detail the game has.

torontoml

Just got word from my gamestop, they only received 50% of their shipment. I pre-ordered a CE and they said it would be getting in on either Thursday or Friday. I am so disappointed, I really hope they get it Thursday, cause I can't put much time into the game starting after this weekend.

commedieu

Banned
We need an OT for people who are now not buying the game, so they can all talk about how horrible GT is?

I mean what the fuck? Its as if neogaf is the human resources of PD or something.

Oh god, so it is true. Just look at the forest at the far background. The entire thing is a low res PSX sprite, almost like it was directly lifted from the PSX/PS2 game.

Someone post a premium track to counter this please. I want to see some good detail the game has.

It was.

SmokyDave

Damn, you must have been really looking forward to it as well. Never mind, I hope you get over the disappointment soon. Apparently there's a new Need For Speed out, you might want to check that out. I hear it has motion blur.

Speaking as someone that played GT1 about an hour ago, no. Pop it in and check for yourself. Apparently, these cars & tracks are underpinned by some new 'fizzicks' or something. I think it's something to do with the carbonation process but I'm definitely looking forward to it because you can't spell 'carbonation' without 'car'.

depward

Not a huge GT fan (played a tiny bit of GT4, a good deal of GTPSP and GT5P) and I'm loving this so far. There's a tremendous amount of stuff to do. I like how they tied in the driver level so it has a nice progressive feeling.

I like the implementation of the lobbies and the GT Life stuff and the lounge... but I don't know. I get why they did it - "Social Networking... GT 5 Style!" - but White Knight Chronicles had a really deep online set-up and it didn't seem like it was utilized by the players very much (then again, already I can tell that personally GT > WKC).

Also did one kart race and it was fun as hell :D

So as someone who isn't a die-hard GT fan, this is good stuff so far. Very good stuff. I'm impressed!

belvedere

Junior Butler
MMaRsu said:
Well the game is out really, just not where you live. Impressions are still impressions, even if I can't copy/paste them cause they aren't in English.

Posting the same cherry-picked screenshot some fantard used on Gamefaqs is hardly legit "impressions".

There are plenty of more than positive impressions from people who actually had interest in this game from the beginning, cherry-picking the bad ones and regurgitating speculative fiction seems to only stem from one side of the fence.

TEH-CJ

Banned
meppi said:
Honest question here.

I've never really been a fan of Gran Turismo as I've always been an arcade racing fan, but looking at some of these gameplay videos is giving me the impression that the way the cars feel and control seem to be very close to F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast, which I absolutely adore.

So can anyone confirm that it's somewhat on the same level of control/gameplay or if the game feels totally different.
I realize that all the cars will have different characteristics and physics, well that's what I expect anyway.

I'm pretty sure I will pick up the game if it's close to that kind of experience.

its not as unforgiving as F355 challenge but there is a sense of losing traction if you apply the throttle a little too much around the corner.but it is a lot more manageable this time around. you actually have more control over your car opposed to doing 360 spins evertyime you apply the throttle around the corner...like past GT games.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
meppi said:
Honest question here.

I haven't played it yet (or F355 Challenge), but I think it probably plays fairly similar to previous GT games (GT5P in particular). I doubt it has changed enough for someone who didn't like the previous games to suddenly love it.

Could be wrong though I guess.

Melfice7

I HAZ IT!
Haha.gif

i went to pick it up, at night.. in the rain.. coincidence? I THINK NOT

anyway fnac (huge ass store) was packed with people in lines xD.. also a hot gt girl and a sls amg were there but who cares i got gt5 O:

depward said:
Not a huge GT fan (played a tiny bit of GT4, a good deal of GTPSP and GT5P) and I'm loving this so far. There's a tremendous amount of stuff to do. I like how they tied in the driver level so it has a nice progressive feeling.

I like the implementation of the lobbies and the GT Life stuff and the lounge... but I don't know. I get why they did it - "Social Networking... GT 5 Style!" - but White Knight Chronicles had a really deep online set-up and it didn't seem like it was utilized by the players very much (then again, already I can tell that personally GT > WKC).

Also did one kart race and it was fun as hell :D

So as someone who isn't a die-hard GT fan, this is good stuff so far. Very good stuff. I'm impressed!
This post is obviously a lie. The internet has told me that GT5 is a total disappointment and it sucks. How can someone be enjoying it?

commedieu said:
We need an OT for people who are now not buying the game, so they can all talk about how horrible GT is?

I mean what the fuck? Its as if neogaf is the human resources of PD or something.

Give it a few weeks. It'll end eventually.

Melfice7 said:
I HAZ IT!

anyway fnac (huge ass store) was packed with people in lines xD.. also a hot gt girl and a sls amg were there but who cares i got gt5 O:
Interested to know what you think about it.

Absinthe

Much better. Premium tracks vs Standard tracks? Who knows..

All I know is in 7 hours this game will be mine!!

gt5-1-88.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

Melfice7 said:
I HAZ IT!
Haha.gif

There amazing in real life ain't they.:D

Huggers

DoctorWho said:
Go Karting - a little harder than I thought.

Just don't brake into corners, ease off the gas if you have to, piece of cake with practice

My first foray into photo mode;

gaf1.jpg

gaf2-1.jpg

gaf3.jpg

This, in my opinion is the greatest racing game ever made. It can be nit picked but when all the parts are added together and it's looked at as a whole, it is stunning. 6/10? Pah. It deserves a lot more than just above average. It requires a lot of hours put into it before you start to be truly wowed. Race through all of the Grand Tour in the special events, fall in love

spwolf

very jaggy graphics

jaggies are actually better than GT5P, both on cars and track... I am sure you dont care though :).

But that aspect is definitely improved.

wonky shadows, especially pre-race is what people can complain about, it just looks weird... every single thing to my eyes looks improved from GT5P though...

LCfiner

flyinpiranha said:
How good is the Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel? On a scale of DFGT to G27?

I have the Turbo S which is similar to this one but with a different leather and buttons.

the force feedback is amazing. very quiet and very smooth. noticeably better than the DFGT. and it’s super customizable so you can change FF strength, the internal vibration motor strength, the ease to spin the wheel, and a bunch of other settings, independent of the game.

I have not used a G27.

I will say this: if you go with fanatec, you need to get the clubsport pedals. I’d say they are more impressive than the wheel. solid feel. all aluminum. load cell on the brake so it feels pressure and not just travel.

if you use cheaper fanatec pedals, you may be better off with the G27 pedals + wheel kit.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Also, 1080p has less AA and teh jaggies were much more noticeable in GT5p.

720p on my older HD set was definitely more smooth. I can't say I know the AA situation on the final build though.

KingDizzi

Banned
commedieu said:

I don't see the problem here one bit, what is the issue? We have expected an awesome game and PD have delivered to a certain extent however some design choices they have made are shocking. I am personally in love with this game as are my mates however that is just us. There are other people whom recognize stuff like tearing and frame rate drops and it can be a game breaker, since joining GAF I am now VERY aware of screen tearing, drops in frame rate and so on with GT5 having all of those. Copy/paste jobs just ain't fucking on, for goodness sake the GT games sell in the millions so why not employ a few more people? My huge pet peeve with this game are the load times, fucking nasty and that is after a full install. The game is great and all however I sure can see why people are disappointed.

FirstInHell said:
hu0cjt.jpg

Is there a way to suppress the non-premium cars from the game? I would have been happy if Sony had just left them out altogether.

Nope sorry, Yamauchi is currently holding a gun to my head forcing me to buy all of the standard cars, he is coming for you next. :0

torontoml

FirstInHell said:
Is there a way to suppress the non-premium cars from the game? I would have been happy if Sony had just left them out altogether.
Don't take photos of them? From what I've read from most people that actually enjoy the game they are barely noticeable during racing.

MMaRsu

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

Which is pretty ridiculous. That screen looks beyond terrible. If this was any other game than GT5 you guys would be making crazy ass photoshops about it :lol

Cigol

FirstInHell said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/hu0cjt.jpg

Is there a way to filter out people re-posting images time and time again ;)

FirstInHell said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/hu0cjt.jpg

Why did you just post the same old picture on both threads?

No you can't suppress them. But you don't have to drive them.

Someone post a premium track to counter this please.
Oh God. Now people are actually calling them standard courses? The detractors are out in full force tonight. Holy shit.

So what's the deal in the US? Gamestop actually have their copies but aren't selling them yet I gather?

meppi

TEH-CJ said:
its not as unforgiving as F355 challenge but there is a sense of losing traction if you apply the throttle a little too much around the corner.but it is a lot more manageable this time around. you actually have more control over your car opposed to doing 360 spins evertyime you apply the throttle around the corner...like past GT games.
Ah that actually helps.

The loosing control over the car and having no way to counter it was one of the things I truly hated about the earlier games.
Somehow I got over it in F355, perhaps because the game was unforgiving in every single aspect, yet when it finally clicked you knew that you were able to correct mistakes you made unless they were major ones.

For me F355 is the perfect realistic driving experience, so having the same feel in GT5 but being a little more forgiving at the same time is something I can understand.

Certainly leaning to click that order button. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom