• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
belvedere said:
Posting the same cherry-picked screenshot some fantard used on Gamefaqs is hardly legit "impressions".

There are plenty of more than positive impressions from people who actually had interest in this game from the beginning, cherry-picking the bad ones and regurgitating speculative fiction seems to only stem from one side of the fence.

:lol

*sigh*

If you actually read my post most impressions come from people who already HAVE the game in their possession. I'm not talking about impressions from people who have seen a few screenshots here and there.

There are more than a few people who are disappointed with GT5. It's the truth, accept it. It doesn't mean you won't like or love the game, neither does it mean I won't. I'm just posting about what I'm reading from people who already have the game.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Any more videos of Autumn Ring the "standard" track?

Looks fine here, albeit a crap quality video. You can still make out detailed rock barriers/walls and even 3d trees!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sjB6GhQL1Y

MMaRsu said:
:lol

*sigh*

If you actually read my post most impressions come from people who already HAVE the game in their possession. I'm not talking about impressions from people who have seen a few screenshots here and there.

I wasn't targeting you, but anyone who's viewed a GT related thread in the last 5 years knows it gets attracts some wild ass fantards.

elohel

DidntKnowJack said:
Oh God. Now people are actually calling them standard courses? The detractors are out in full force tonight. Holy shit.

So what's the deal in the US? Gamestop actually have their copies but aren't selling them yet I gather?

all the gamestops ive called said they arent doing a midnight release so laaame

DidntKnowJack said:
Oh God. Now people are actually calling them standard courses? The detractors are out in full force tonight. Holy shit.

So what's the deal in the US? Gamestop actually have their copies but aren't selling them yet I gather?

The detractors seriously need to play the game.

It looks beautiful on my HDTV. No real complaints at the moment.

MMaRsu said:
Never had a Ps3 but always wanted one. I guess this is as good a time to jump in ( lol ) as any. Got myself a nice HDTV these days, and Ps3 exclusives are pretty cheap. But yeah I'll have to wait till december 7th to actually play on it grr :(. Gives me more time to look for some cheap titles like UC1+2.

Got a credit card? If so, check out amazon.co.uk. They recently added free shipping to the Netherlands and I re bought UC2 there for 13 pounds I think.

spwolf

belvedere said:
Also, 1080p has less AA and teh jaggies were much more noticeable in GT5p.

720p on my older HD set was definitely more smooth. I can't say I know the AA situation on the final build though.

i also raced against standard cars, and they look fine too... I mean Honda Prelude looked like Prelude, not sure if it would look a lot better as Premium, not while you are racing...

now maybe if i took them to photo mode, and magnified or whatever...

... i am now racing behind C4 and Prelude and I cant see some big difference there.

I not surprise that people are saying the game is inconsistent.
I remember Kaz saying it would take 10 years to make GT5 how he wanted , of course people thought he was joking .
With the level of detail the cars have plus all the other content in the game, PD simple run out of time to get everything to level you expect from a GT game.
The good thing is that they don't have go back and do stuff over again and they will only need to keep on upgrading and adding stuff.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
MMaRsu said:
Which is pretty ridiculous. That screen looks beyond terrible. If this was any other game than GT5 you guys would be making crazy ass photoshops about it :lol

You don't make photoshops about the emperor!

Amazon better not screw up my delivery. We're having some sort of snowpocalypse here in Seattle.

I want to be posting standard car photos with the rest of yous.

DarkJC

I picked up GT5 today, at a Microplay in Canada. Ive only bought a car and done the first few license tests, but I already love the game. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what there is to do.

This is from the perspective of someone who got quite a lot of playtime from prologue, so take that as you will.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Got a credit card? If so, check out amazon.co.uk. They recently added free shipping to the Netherlands and I re bought UC2 there for 13 pounds I think.

Well I do actually so I'll have to check that out :). Thanks for the tip man! I was gonna get some second hand games actually, since that might be cheaper but 13 pounds wow :D

DarkJC said:
I picked up GT5 today, at a Microplay in Canada. Ive only bought a car and done the first few license tests, but I already love the game. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what there is to do.

This is from the perspective of someone who got quite a lot of playtime from prologue, so take that as you will.

Funny, I didn't play a lot of prologue. I didn't like prologue at all. Felt to sterile IMO. Yet, I'm loving GT5. Feels very much alive with so much to do. There's a shit load of options and I love the levelling system.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Firewire

Banned
Lion Heart said:
And when exactly was that? I've read every single post in this thread and don't recall one good thing you've said tbh.
He doesn't like anything, every little thing he jumps on and makes a big deal about. Its pretty pathetic actually.

belvedere

Junior Butler
spwolf said:
i also raced against standard cars, and they look fine too... I mean Honda Prelude looked like Prelude, not sure if it would look a lot better as Premium, not while you are racing...

now maybe if i took them to photo mode, and magnified or whatever...

... i am now racing behind C4 and Prelude and I cant see some big difference there.

Just caught Amar's response to a question asked about STD and Premium mixed in various races. He says they are but he cannot tell the difference between them while racing, only when looking for them during replays.

Somebody asked about 16 races (as seen in both final One Lap Magic races in Licenses section so far) being mixture of Premium and Standard models. They are in fact, I took a moment to pay attention, but - you just don't see the difference during race. On my set - and I'm using an 50" plasma - all Standard cars look like a Prologue cars in-race. It is more-less visible in the replay, but overall I think PD did a very decent job in mixing the two breeds.

gundamkyoukai said:
I not surprise that people are saying the game is inconsistent.
I remember Kaz saying it would take 10 years to make GT5 how he wanted , of course people thought he was joking .
With the level of detail the cars have plus all the other content in the game, PD simple run out of time to get everything to level you expect from a GT game.
The good thing is that they don't have go back and do stuff over again and they will only need to keep on upgrading and adding stuff.

Making sense now.
How many Premium tracks are there btw?

Would it been unacceptable to release 200+ cars & 8 tracks big name car game?

paskowitz

Went to an EB games today. Asked if I could get the game early, guy said "sure I just have to ask if it is ok with my manager". At that point I just left the store because I new my fate was decided. I would have to wait 12 more hours.

LifEndz

DoctorWho said:
Funny, I didn't play a lot of prologue. I didn't like prologue at all. Felt to sterile IMO. Yet, I'm loving GT5. Feels very much alive with so much to do. There's a shit load of options and I love the levelling system.

Your avatar is hypnotizing.

TEH-CJ

Banned
The Chef said:
Some of you guys are really killing my hype. I almost dont want to read this thread anymore :/

Don't go in expecting insane graphics and you will enjoy the game for what it is. keep your expectations in check.

Yoboman

They really shouldn't have included the horrible looking stuff.

Would it have been so hard to smooth out some of the really shit looking stuff like the light textures on some of the cars?

I just get the impression they have really bad organisation at PD.

elohel

See You Next Wednesday said:
Making sense now.

no 200 is i mean i kinda think a shit ton but w/e

Amazon says shipped! WOOT!

Lets hope the UPS truck can make it through the Seattle snowpocalypse tomorrow!

I went back and played some Prologue with my DFGT and new wheelstand, and I have to say that unlike when using the controller, I prefer the bumper cam to cockpit view with the wheel. So I guess that takes one of the standard car complaints off my table!

LCfiner

DoctorWho said:

I’m heading in early and leaving at lunch. I want at least 5 hours of GT mania tomorrow.

spwolf

Yoboman said:
They really shouldn't have included the horrible looking stuff.

Would it have been so hard to smooth out some of the really shit looking stuff like the light textures on some of the cars?

I just get the impression they have really bad organisation at PD.

i have yet to see that horrible stuff in game :D

those crazy bad standard cars seem to be some issues with LOD in photomode... in races, you will really have to try hard to figure out the difference between premium and standard cars... For instance I was wondering if Tigra I was behind was Premium model... it was very clean.

DoctorWho said:
The detractors seriously need to play the game.

It looks beautiful on my HDTV. No real complaints at the moment.

Played 4 hours straight today, Got to retire for work in the morning but I totally agree,All I own so far are standard cars,And I have done the B licence but apart from pixelly shadows I've been very impressed so far.

FirstInHell said:
hu0cjt.jpg

Is there a way to suppress the non-premium cars from the game? I would have been happy if Sony had just left them out altogether.

This is a LOD issue isn't it?

Cause I don't recall GT4 or even GT3 cars being modeled like this at all. Just textures for tail lights?

paskowitz said:
Went to an EB games today. Asked if I could get the game early, guy said "sure I just have to ask if it is ok with my manager". At that point I just left the store because I new my fate was decided. I would have to wait 12 more hours.

"HEY SIR I GOT SOME GREAT NEWS!!...Sir..? Oh well.."

Making sense now.

I will still play the hell out the game and love it , but making things in HD takes a good while and they want to do to much .
Some thing had to give and we now see what happen.
There are games out there that don't have half the amount of content GT 5 has so i still happy.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
HomerSimpson-Man said:
This is a LOD issue isn't it?

Cause I don't recall GT4 or even GT3 cars being modeled like this at all.

Play GT4 again. This actually looks better (3D rims, etc).

Animal

Banned
I've been playing gt5 for the last 4 hours and I'm doing licences all gold first. I can't get IC-1 gold on a DS3 for the life of me. I missed it by 0.002 seconds. I'm playing at friends house so I don't have acces to wheel and pedals yet but I will later tonight!

Install was a little bit over 40 minutes.

Wow!!!! The intro was amazing on my Sony 47" LCD and 5.1 sound system. I didn't like it when I saw it on youtube, but once you get the full effect of the quality picture and sound, the music and intro fits perfectly. It HYPED me up!

I was curious about GTTV, clicked on it, now I'm installing more stuff. :lol

Just finished my first race on High Speed Ring in the rain with a WRX STI. The force feedback is awesome on the DFGT! Much better than the Shift or Dirt2 demos. So pumped to jump into GT Life, but I'm playing on another PS3 so I'll stick to checking out the arcade mode until I'm back on my own PS3. Curse you locked saves.

Graphics look so nice! Loving it so far.

Nafai1123

Banned
Making sense now.

I 100% gurantee you would see more people complaining about the game if that was the case. While I agree that only having premium cars would make the game seem more balanced in terms of quality, I prefer PDs quality and quantity approach.

Arex

GT3 only has like 150 cars and I had one of my best gaming experience with it, so I don't give a damn really, GT will always be GT. I was actually kinda hoping they'd put in all the old tracks even as standards, I just wanna drive on them :D

test_account

XP-39C²
NullPointer said:
Those people would be laughed out of here, and justifiably so. I mean, seriously:

http://i52.tinypic.com/bipkch.jpg

And hey, I've never advocated removing the standard cars and/or tracks. Just saving them for free, post release DLC, as a bonus to the fans. Not sure I'd download the content to be honest, given the choice.
Ye, the premium cars definitely has a lot of details in them, but i am pretty sure that people would still complain about not enough cars :/ I have already seen on another forum that some people are dissapointed that there are "only" 200 premium cars, or at least that they wished or thought that all 1000+ cars would have a dashboard view.

But again, i fully see your point :)

~Kinggi~

Banned
FirstInHell said:
hu0cjt.jpg

Is there a way to suppress the non-premium cars from the game? I would have been happy if Sony had just left them out altogether.
What the fuck is that? Is that a GT 5 screenshot? Really?

spwolf

i had to pause race due to kids waking up, and accidentally i paused it when TT was in front of me... there are no freaking jaggies there, i even use 1080p mode on my 720p Plasma which is not optimal.... looks so freaking clean.

Huggers

I swear that yellow car pic has been fucked with. Standard cars smandard cars. GT5 is beautiful. You barely notice the difference. . People will sink days upon days into it. I've been playing it obsessively for a time now and I'm stunned at some of the negativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom