• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

spwolf

rod furlong said:
ah, thanks, turns out I had guessed correctly. Also, I notice that a lot of people are talking about being penalized for hitting other cars or cutting corners...is that also something you can toggle on and off in the options? That was happening for me at first but doesn't any more.

it only happens during a-spec races and in arcade mode... so in c and b races you can learn the tracks and learn how to drive.

RavenFox said:
Ok wait wait wait a fucking minute...Is Kaz showing us these are the type of water effects that will be in game? This video is sic. GT5 has single handedly made all other racing games obsolete.

ya know graphics isn't everything...

i hate to be negative, but besides the graphics (which are fantastic), what exactly is making other racing games obsolete? or is it all about graphics these days?

I can't follow this thread (too big), but the pressing questions I have are about the AI and online options. How do they compare to Forza 2 in prologue?

I'll buy GT5 no matter what, but I hope they put as much work into these two areas as they have the presentation.

dammitmattt said:
I can't follow this thread (too big), but the pressing questions I have are about the AI and online options. How do they compare to Forza 2 in prologue?

I'll buy GT5 no matter what, but I hope they put as much work into these two areas as they have the presentation.

that's what i'm worried about. after playing games like dirt, forza, pgr4, etc.. i'm not sure GT4 with better graphics is gonna be enough these days.

also i'm worried about online play. i have yet to find a racing game that didn't have problems with multiplayer after it came out. there's been pretty limited info on the multiplayer in gt5. i wonder how's it gonna be?

SeaOfMadness said:
that's what i'm worried about. after playing games like dirt, forza, pgr4, etc.. i'm not sure GT4 with better graphics is gonna be enough these days.

also i'm worried about online play. i have yet to find a racing game that didn't have problems with multiplayer after it came out. there's been pretty limited info on the multiplayer in gt5. i wonder how's it gonna be?

The netcode for GT4 online (that was beta tested last summer) was solid. 6-player races were perfect as long as nobody had a terrible connection. So at least the online gameplay should be great (even better now that they've implemented the penalty system).

But the menus/interfaces/lobbies were pretty terrible in the 'beta.' If those are the kind of 'problems' you are referring to, then there's no guarantee those have been ironed out in GT5P.

avaya

spwolf said:
so what are you guys getting on london track and with what car? i want some goals please!

Can't remember London times that well but I remember doing a 52.5 in the F599, standard simulation. That would be a low target, I was well away from the kerbs on that lap.

As for the other tracks.

Really the best barometers are the timetrial events.

nib95

Banned
Seriously, this game is ridiculously good looking. The level of detail is insane. Not only does the car itself have real world reflections, but the windows on buildings, signs on buildings, in-fact just about everything that ought to reflect the world around it, usually does. Even the damn Honda emblem on the steering wheel reflects everything around it lol. Love the fact that shadows are cast realistically by both track objects and buildings. The jaggy sharp edged shadows of the older builds replaced with smooth slick edged shadows that are near perfect. Textures are really crisp throughout as well, even up close and personal. Sometimes when the lighting is just right, and you pass a car or they pass you, you almost actually feel like you're watching the real thing. The cars and tracks sometimes really do look that good.

Going to take screens of the new mountain track next. That also looks beautiful. A few tweaks here and there too. Like the gust from the speed of cars now swaying bits of the grass and slightly improved textures/lighting in other areas.

Gameplay wise, interior view + pro simulation mode = most realistic driving experience I've had in a racer yet. It's fantastic fun and quite the challenge. In the demo it was quite easy to get first, it's a lot harder now. At least in arcade mode with a rubbish starter car. But down force to zero, R3 tyres, simulation mode and all assists off = sublime experience. You really feel every nuisance of the car and track. It's a shame the bumper car element can still occur, though not to the same degree. Hit a car to cheat forward now, and you usually end up losing places and momentum instead of gaining it. AI is vastly improved, but still a bit ropey. They are a lot more aggressive and intelligent in how they drive to get fast laps (not just rubber band any more either) but sometimes dense in avoiding you. Granted, when I was stood still whilst taking photo's, perhaps even in real life the cars would not be able to stop quick enough to avoid me, but they should at least swerve out the way to avoid and brake hard. Hopefully this is sorted before release.

My other negative is that the London track is rather claustrophobic and tight nit. Though it is London (cramped by nature) so I'll let it pass. Hopefully some of the other city tracks (NY) are much more open and grand. Anyway, some quick screens. Hope you like em!

gt1.jpg

gt2.jpg

gt3.jpg

gt4.jpg

gt5.jpg

gt6.jpg

gt7.jpg

gt8.jpg

gt9.jpg

gt10.jpg

Dibbz

Holy crap

I can't get enough of London. Can someone post some of the GTHD track though. I dunno what it's called. :/

I've seen promo shots of it but no off screen stuff.

Valkyr Junkie said:
The netcode for GT4 online (that was beta tested last summer) was solid. 6-player races were perfect as long as nobody had a terrible connection. So at least the online gameplay should be great (even better now that they've implemented the penalty system).

But the menus/interfaces/lobbies were pretty terrible in the 'beta.' If those are the kind of 'problems' you are referring to, then there's no guarantee those have been ironed out in GT5P.

i mean both. 6 player doesn't equal 16 player. what are the options/game modes going to be? so many other racing games have gobs of options.

also, yes, the lobbies, menus, the way you get into games, etc... that stuff can be tricky and problematic. i hope it all works well, but it's a lot to ask to go from non-existent to full blown multiplayer in one version of the game. and let's face it, japanese devs aren't known for their multiplayer expetise.

SolidSnakex said:
What game would that be? Because it certainly doesn't describe GT5.

i know it's more than that, but i was asking, what, besides graphics, sets it apart from other games in the genre? what does it do that other games haven't done already? what does it do *better* than those games? or is graphics good enough?

Niks

Theres an insider article about GT5P on IGN.
Maybe theres some info on american release??

Someone with Insider access could check?

SeaOfMadness said:
i know it's more than that, but i was asking, what, besides graphics, sets it apart from other games in the genre? what does it do that other games haven't done already? what does it do *better* than those games? or is graphics good enough?

Well speaking just about console racers since thats it main competition, you've got the physics engine which is better. And considering that's the main aspect of these types of games that's significant. As far as its online features, this is whats planned.

24x1fk5.jpg

Niks, that Insider feature isn't really an article its just a video of them describing whats new about the game.

In reference to the shots above and driving london on my TV.

I love you GT5P......but
Why why why PD do you think realistic lighting is so dark?
There would have to be a solar eclipse to get that kind of lighting.

Eagerly awaiting an "overcast" weather patch where I am not driving in the dark 60 percent of the time.
I have given up cockpit view in london. It is almost black in some places and I do not enjoy ruining my TV's calibration to compensation for this.
Maybe a gamma slider in the options would help if they insist on the contrast being like this.

SolidSnakex said:
Well speaking just about console racers since thats it main competition, you've got the physics engine which is better. And considering that's the main aspect of these types of games that's significant. As far as its online features, this is whats planned.

24x1fk5.jpg

Niks, that Insider feature isn't really an article its just a video of them describing whats new about the game.

whoa hold on a second. the physics engine is better than forza 2? actually better? (if so, what makes it better?) or equivalent?

and those features are all in GT5P? or is that planned for GT5 final or whatever the hell it's called? that's *really* ambitious.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Apparently I suck at this game. I don't remember having much trouble until the way later stages with GT4, but man I can't pass some of the C class stuff here! Both the Suzuki Swift run and the Mission race are kicking me in the nuts, repeatedly.

Kyoufu

Big Nate said:
Apparently I suck at this game. I don't remember having much trouble until the way later stages with GT4, but man I can't pass some of the C class stuff here! Both the Suzuki Swift run and the Mission race are kicking me in the nuts, repeatedly.

Those are nothing compared to A-class events :'(

nofi

spwolf said:
so what are you guys getting on london track and with what car? i want some goals please!

GAF needs to set up some track/car combos for fun until the 25th. I've gotten 1.03 in the Elise on London, my favourite pairing at the moment, on sim/manual gears.

It's not fast, I know, but I have no frame of reference!

supermackem said:
You cant take pics in replay mode can you??? just something i have come to expect these days.

Its the mode Polyphony created, so its not like it won't be in the game. They're just holding it back so they can make it better than ever (even though its still the best one out there).

East Lake

SolidSnakex said:
Its the mode Polyphony created, so its not like it won't be in the game. They're just holding it back so they can make it better than ever (even though its still the best one out there).
Have they said anything about being able to upload it to the web?

tehbear

SeaOfMadness said:
whoa hold on a second. the physics engine is better than forza 2? actually better? (if so, what makes it better?) or equivalent?

and those features are all in GT5P? or is that planned for GT5 final or whatever the hell it's called? that's *really* ambitious.

How the game plays is a subjective opinion. Some people just prefer one game to another. If it's complete realism you are after Enthusia and GTR2 both does it better. If you want top notch physics with car selection then you have to go for one of the console franchises.

They've commented that in GT4 at least Nissan cars has track times within a second of their real life counterparts due to how close Nissan works with Polyphony (other cars will vary more). Given that kind of accuracy I am not sure what else Polyphony can do except to get better data from the other car companies. Collision physics is still much weaker in GT than Forza, but accurate collision technology is still pretty far away.

You know if this was the final product, outside of the detail and graphics I would say someone who prefers the feeling of Forza has no reason to get it. But hey, this isn't final, and we don't know how many of those features makes it in. If you don't like how GT handles now I doubt you'll like it later. I don't consider Polyphony's fault as a lot of these racers are just DIFFERENT (certainly PGR4's handling doesn't detract it from what it does).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yoboman said:
I hope the coloring/livery editor is fleshed out

me too. I hope we get a liveried up car in GT5P soon too.

As absolutely gorgeous as the graphics are, I find the liveried cars 1000x more gorgeous in GT games. Plus they fit better on a track environment - driving a cappucino around suzuka just doesn't gel.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ravenn17 said:
Me too. Anybody have it yet? How is it? How does the interior look?

looks great, interior looks like most BMWs. Although the idrive display is a little weak - just a texture but it looks plain, not like its being lit from behind like a proper LCD would (yes, I'm nitpicking)

I bought a white one to contrast with the carbon roof. but I think there are screenshots in this thread of a red one, becasue I remember that looking gorgeous and I wanted to paint mine red too :/

avaya

Hey we can share replays can't we? Just copy the replay data from the Saved data utility on the XMB onto a USB stick.

If anyone wants any help on passing any events let me know, maybe I can upload the replay data.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
avaya said:
Hey we can share replays can't we? Just copy the replay data from the Saved data utility on the XMB onto a USB stick.

If anyone wants any help on passing any events let me know, maybe I can upload the replay data.

I'm tempted to say "Show me how to pass the C-Class Suzuki Swift challenge!" but really all I need to know about it is this: Is it possible to complete the challenge in 1st place WITHOUT drafting the other faster cars on the track?

I get that the C-Class Mission race is exactly that, you draft each pack of cars and slingshot yourself around Daytona. I went from getting consistent 10th place to now getting consistent 6th place last night, I just have to figure out the correct line to get past the last grouping, which I'm sure I'll get eventually.

However, in the Suzuki Swift race I keep getting 1'06" laptimes driving my ass off. If I absolutely MUST draft the other cars to win, well that's different (and stupid, but whatever), at least I know it's not my driving causing me to lose.

Maybe I'm one of these people who like the feel of Forza 2 better, because in that game I blazed through it and finished the whole game with little effort.

Top Bottom