Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Apr 16, 2007
8,192
0
0
Thrakier said:
What I don't like about the graphics, but that's also for pgr and many other games, is the overused hdr-effect. The games are TOO dark and TOO bright, it's not realistic and annoying. I like the high-poly car models but it sucks that most of the time I can't see it because the shadows are too dark.
You played it? Change the settings on your TV. It's very realistic. Esp in London.
 
Feb 23, 2005
14,915
0
0
nib95 said:
The craziest thing to me is that GT5P manages it at double the frame rate and a higher native resolution. Makes me wonder...if racing game visuals have improved this much in just a year, what will the end of this generation bring us?
DiRT and PGR4 both use a lot of post processing effect during gameplay though. GT5 replays are 30fps I assume?
 
Jun 9, 2006
11,338
0
1,145
steamcommunity.com
I played the demo and my settings are perfectly calibrated. I don't know how london looks but suzuka in the demo overuses HDR. And in most of the screens and videos I watch I can see the same effect, especially in the cockpit which are most of the time pitch black so that you can't see details.
 

f@luS

More than a member.
Mar 9, 2005
6,512
0
1,320
jet1911 said:
DiRT and PGR4 both use a lot of post processing effect during gameplay though. GT5 replays are 30fps I assume?
what a SPIN.

Pgr4 uses motion blur because it is 30fps and can not achieve a 60.
 
Feb 26, 2007
34,619
2
0
One thing that imo GT5 desperately needs. Is a different way of handling the exterior view camera fixation. I hate the way it always follows the front end of the vehicle. So if your car snaps left or right the entire screen snaps with it. This is really off putting.

In real life this doesn't happen, you can turn your neck to concentrate on the road ahead even if your car is shifting about. You don't always look exactly where the nose of the car is facing. I want it to be the way it is in nearly every other racer. Not as fixed. Allowing some room for camera variance outside of the the direction of the car nose.
 
Sep 16, 2006
21,966
0
0
GauntletFan said:
Nice try, pal. I'm talking about visuals in every racing game, and how developers need to use LOD and detail variants in a more intelligent manner. Sit back and relax, no-one's attacking your beloved console, or your game.



The fact that games can't represent our peripheral vision (without multiple monitors or consoles displaying side views) means that cutting off the very narrow sense of space we already have with a cockpit is going to mean you're limiting yourself unnecessarily. When you're driving a car (as you'll find out when you get a little older), you'll notice most of the car's dash and your hands are in your peripheral vision, so a bumper cam is actually a more realistic interpretation of what your brain processes.

And please, stop with the trolling comments. There has been some great discussion in here without you. Talking about cockpit/bumper cams and LOD models is not trolling a game.
eh, dude, you are far more of a fanboy than I...Im relaxed, but you need to chill out on posting in a very one sided manner
 
May 24, 2005
39,320
2,279
1,320
nib95 said:
A bit of information for you guys. I had a chat with one of the lead designers at SCEE Studio London/Soho about Eight Days and The Getaway 3 today.

I made a thread about it on the IGN forums, but not here on the GAF, as to not anger the designer in to me leaking too much of what he told me.

But yea, did you know, GT5P's London track is actually using assets from The Getaway 3? According to the lead designer, The Getaway 3 actually looks a little better than GT5P! And is of a much larger scale. Difference being, The Getaway 3 will run at 720p, 30fps. But apparently due to the sharing of assets, both games look similar in respects to the city assets.

WOAH!!! Getaway 3 a beast confirmed!! When is this game coming out? I bet 2009. We will probably see some of it at E3 2008.
 
Sep 16, 2006
21,966
0
0
nib95 said:
One thing that imo GT5 desperately needs. Is a different way of handling the exterior view camera fixation. I hate the way it always follows the front end of the vehicle. So if your car snaps left or right the entire screen snaps with it. This is really off putting.

In real life this doesn't happen, you can turn your neck to concentrate on the road ahead even if your car is shifting about. You don't always look exactly where the nose of the car is facing. I want it to be the way it is in nearly every other racer. Not as fixed. Allowing some room for camera variance outside of the the direction of the car nose.
Where did you get info on The Getaway 3?????
 
Aug 15, 2007
25,996
0
935
NY
Guys... I just picked up a Panny TH-42PZ700U. Setting it up as we speak... I can't imagine with this game will look like on this TV... I feel drained just thinking about it. :D

Also, anyone know whats the status with those five cars that were listed on the NA release list but didn't make it onto the PAL release? Are they still going to be available in NA?
 

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jan 18, 2007
46,582
1
1,195
The Confederate United States of America
h3ro said:
Guys... I just picked up a Panny TH-42PZ700U. Setting it up as we speak... I can't imagine with this game will look like on this TV... I feel drained just thinking about it. :D

Also, anyone know whats the status with those five cars that were listed on the NA release list but didn't make it onto the PAL release? Are they still going to be available in NA?
Pics, do it!
 
Feb 26, 2007
34,619
2
0
I spoke to one of the lead designers working on the game earlier today. He told me a few other bits and bobs too. haven't made a GAF thread or post about it all yet.

I'll copy and paste my thread from IGN here.

----

Finally managed to have a little chit chat with one of the lead designers (at SCEE Studio's London/Soho) today. Slyly asked about both titles whilst conversing.

Interesting points from the conversation.

- GT5 Prologues London track is using assets taken from The Getaway 3.
- Designer reckons The Getaway 3 looks a little better than the GT5P London track, only on a bigger scale. Essentially Getaway 3 will look similar.
- When quizzed about how this was possible, he merely stated that it's easier to manage when you don't have to worry about 60fps or 1080p.
- Getaway 3 will run at 720p and 30fps.
- This time around The Getaway will focus more on crime/thriller suspense.
- Eight days is coming along very well. First proper public showcasing of gameplay will be this summer.
- Eight Days will not be quite as revolutionary as some have mentioned, but will have numerous innovations.
- Designer reckons Eight Days looks so good, he wouldn't be surprised if it gets 10's from reviewers for visuals.
- Eight Days and Getaway 3 are visually quite different, namely in contrasting art styles.
- When asked which game of the two he thought looked better, he said he thought Getaway 3 looked "a little bit better", but that both looked fantastic.

He also told me what kind of mock scores early play tests of Eight Days had been getting. Ranging from 8.5 - 9's for gameplay and 10's for visuals. But said he wouldn't go in to much detail or blow his trumpet, as we could decide for ourselves later this year. I'll take that as a hint the game is being released later this year. But he didn't budge on the subject.


Take it for what you will. It's from a genuine source. Got his business card and everything.
 
Jun 14, 2007
5,924
0
0
www.project-tideas.com
ah nice. My ban is up. And I've been missing out on all o this GT5:p love.

Anyway, they say GT moves consoles. But this game is moving me to get a new TV.

Trying to decide between the new samsung plasma 50" or the new panasonic plasma 50"

Both around the same price, so we'll see what the peeps at avs say about the PQ
 

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Jun 10, 2004
8,319
0
0
Dublin
Tideas said:
ah nice. My ban is up. And I've been missing out on all o this GT5:p love.

Anyway, they say GT moves consoles. But this game is moving me to get a new TV.

Trying to decide between the new samsung plasma 50" or the new panasonic plasma 50"

Both around the same price, so we'll see what the peeps at avs say about the PQ
Panasonic PDP >>>>>>Samsung PDP IMO.
 
Feb 26, 2007
34,619
2
0
Tideas said:
ah nice. My ban is up. And I've been missing out on all o this GT5:p love.

Anyway, they say GT moves consoles. But this game is moving me to get a new TV.

Trying to decide between the new samsung plasma 50" or the new panasonic plasma 50"

Both around the same price, so we'll see what the peeps at avs say about the PQ
Go for the Panasonic. I've seen and calibrated both. The Panasonic is second only to the Pioneer. In regards to the Panasonic vs Samsung plasma debate. The Panasonic has deeper blacks, higher contrast, better colour accuracy, smoother picture with less artificial edge enhancement and better depth of field. The Samsung's screw certain black levels and greens.

Get one of the newer 1080p Panasonic plasma's. You won't be sorry. I had a Panasonic plasma before my recent Pioneer Kuro purchase. I had 3 different 1080p LCD's before that. Just preferred the PQ plasma's offered in the end.
 
Jun 14, 2007
5,924
0
0
www.project-tideas.com
navanman said:
Panasonic PDP >>>>>>Samsung PDP IMO.
pdp? I unno, Samsung's been getting better with each Plasma iteration. By the time GT is released in the states (APril 15), there'll be more ppl owning samsung sets, so theyll be able to tell.

Plus, there's always comparing the two in stores like BB

nib95 said:
Go for the Panasonic. I've seen and calibrated both. The Panasonic is second only to the Pioneer. In regards to the Panasonic vs Samsung plasma debate. The Panasonic has deeper blacks, higher contrast, better colour accuracy, smoother picture with less artificial edge enhancement and better depth of field. The Samsung's screw certain black levels and greens.

Get one of the newer 1080p Panasonic plasma's. You won't be sorry. I had a Panasonic plasma before my recent Pioneer Kuro purchase. I had 3 different 1080p LCD's before that. Just preferred the PQ plasma's offered in the end.
You must be thinking about the Samsung 50FPT8064.

They got a new 08 plasma model call the 50AN550 or something like that
 
Feb 26, 2007
34,619
2
0
Tideas said:
You must be thinking about the Samsung 50FPT8064.

They got a new 08 plasma model call the 50AN550 or something like that
Check the AVS/AV forums. The Panasonic is still by far the better choice. Unless you can afford a Kuro.
 

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Jun 10, 2004
8,319
0
0
Dublin
PDP=Plasma Display Panel. The 2007 range from Panasonic got excellent reviews and 2008 models have stepped up a notch again. Better blacks & contrast ratio, more HDMI inputs, nicer styling & pedestal IMO.
 
Jun 14, 2007
5,924
0
0
www.project-tideas.com
nib95 said:
Check the AVS/AV forums. The Panasonic is still by far the better choice. Unless you can afford a Kuro.
I have been. No one has been able to get the new samsung plasma yet because they haven't been available. That's why I was saying I'll wait for another 2 weeks to see what the ppl buying the Samsung plasma has to say. lol
 
Oct 19, 2005
14,485
3
0
Wow at those GT5:p / PGR4 comparo shots. Really shows off how incredible Polyphony is as I knew the car models between the two that GT had it down locked, but the environments as well look better in GT.

Hats off to Polyphony. Probably the most talented graphically dev house out there. Hell, their physics are a new bar as well with the cars now too. Now they just need to work on the sound a little bit more and the game will be perfect to me.
 
Jan 27, 2007
6,405
0
0
:lol at last page comments about in-car view

Let me get this straight...

Everyone who is at least a bit into racing games, has wanted in-car view in GT for ages.
Now that PD has made that possible, people are complaining that whats the use of in-car view??

Seems to me someone is complaining that in-car view is too hardore for them to handle. :D
 

jett

D-Member
Jun 6, 2004
98,879
0
1,575
Lulz at the PGR comparison. There's no comparison, that's the only truth, even if you disregard the hard cold fact that one of those games runs at double the resolution, double the framerate and has double the amount of cars. Funny how that's always forgotten in this comparisons, but meh like I said it doesn't even matter.

Anyway, to add something to this quickly decaying thread, some more hawt pics:















bububu teh jaggiezzzZzzzz
 
Mar 17, 2007
469
0
0
jett said:
Lulz at the PGR comparison. There's no comparison, that's the only truth, even if you disregard the hard cold fact that one of those games runs at double the resolution, double the framerate and has double the amount of cars. Funny how that's always forgotten in this comparisons, but meh like I said it doesn't even matter.

Anyway, to add something to this quickly decaying thread, some more hawt pics:















bububu teh jaggiezzzZzzzz






C'mon friday, this game is pure fookin sax.

 
Sep 9, 2006
1,112
0
0
Just browsing the net and the site Gameplanet confirmed what I suspected all along - the screenshots on Eurogamer (and other sites) which caused such an uproar here a few pages back ("their capture card sucks" etc) are direct from Sony themselves.

So please, no more of this BS about poor quality shots, 'upres tricks' and other nonsense. These are direct from the source, and as such are probably a fair representation of the game's graphics.
 
Nov 10, 2004
8,464
0
0
Dibbz said:
Jet those pics are awesome!

Kaz suxors at drifting though. Suprised he wasn't using a G25 though.
Well, that is the official GT5 wheel, they do kinda have to advertise for it.

Anyway, awesome video.
Damn, if we, the GT5P JP version owners aren't getting an update to download from the JP PSN Store, I'll have to buy the US or EU version :lol
 
Jun 7, 2004
85,527
1
0
GauntletFan said:
Just browsing the net and the site Gameplanet confirmed what I suspected all along - the screenshots on Eurogamer (and other sites) which caused such an uproar here a few pages back ("their capture card sucks" etc) are direct from Sony themselves.

So please, no more of this BS about poor quality shots, 'upres tricks' and other nonsense. These are direct from the source, and as such are probably a fair representation of the game's graphics.
And? It wouldn't be the first time official pictures from a company looked like crap and it won't be the last time. You claim to have played the game and if that's the case you wouldn't be trying to defend those shots because you'd know they aren't a proper representation of what the game looks like.
 
May 16, 2006
16,437
0
0
jett said:
Lulz at the PGR comparison. There's no comparison, that's the only truth, even if you disregard the hard cold fact that one of those games runs at double the resolution, double the framerate and has double the amount of cars. Funny how that's always forgotten in this comparisons, but meh like I said it doesn't even matter.
Yeah, the PGR comparison is really really ridiculous when you take the cold hard facts into consideration. I'm surprised that people would try to get away with that one.

I wish we could just get this back to GT5P discussion, and leave these silly comparisons to die.
 
Sep 9, 2006
1,112
0
0
SolidSnakex said:
And? It wouldn't be the first time official pictures from a company looked like crap and it won't be the last time. You claim to have played the game and if that's the case you wouldn't be trying to defend those shots because you'd know they aren't a proper representation of what the game looks like.
How do those shots look like crap?

Do you consider them crap because they are some of the only direct feed shots of actual behind the wheel/car gameplay?

There's nothing wrong with them - they're clean, very low on jaggies and give us (potential customers) a clear look at the actual game.

Are only the most complimentary replay shots or closeups of headlights allowed in this thread? Offscreen caps? - 'ok' as long as solidsnake approves them. Good god, the frothing fanboy nonsense is at an all time high in here.
 
SolidSnakex said:
And? It wouldn't be the first time official pictures from a company looked like crap and it won't be the last time. You claim to have played the game and if that's the case you wouldn't be trying to defend those shots because you'd know they aren't a proper representation of what the game looks like.
He never played the game. There's a reason why he never replies when someone asks him for his PSN ID.

GauntletFan said:
Are only the most complimentary replay shots or closeups of headlights allowed in this thread? Offscreen caps? - 'ok' as long as solidsnake approves them. Good god, the frothing fanboy nonsense is at an all time high in here.
Oh god... please... SHUT THE FUCK UP

You have been proven wrong over and over again, do I need to post Forsete direct feed screens AGAIN? You've proven you never played the game even though you stated you did...

Jesus... Just freaking LEAVE already!
 
Mar 17, 2007
469
0
0
GauntletFan said:
Just browsing the net and the site Gameplanet confirmed what I suspected all along - the screenshots on Eurogamer (and other sites) which caused such an uproar here a few pages back ("their capture card sucks" etc) are direct from Sony themselves.

So please, no more of this BS about poor quality shots, 'upres tricks' and other nonsense. These are direct from the source, and as such are probably a fair representation of the game's graphics.





As others have said, it would not be the first time a company put out shitty publicity shots of their own product.

And the gameplay videos must be of an entirely different game, as they look 100 times better than those pics on eurogamer and ign.
 
Aug 15, 2007
25,996
0
935
NY
chubigans said:
Except it isn't. But we already proved and settled that, so I agree, let's not talk about it anymore.
Chubigans, can you make us an awesome stick art rendition of this thread in the style only you can do... you know what I'm talkin about! PLEASE!! :lol

PS. Please include the OMG Bulshot trolls.. as well as all of us guys that are busy fapping away at screen shots of a videogame car.. :p

Edit to add: SEE!

Super_Chicken said:
Nib, where is the pants warning. I just ruined my good pair. And still those photos still don't do the game justice. It just looks so good in real life staring at the TV :D
 
Aug 4, 2007
2,638
0
880
Canada
GauntletFan said:
Just browsing the net and the site Gameplanet confirmed what I suspected all along - the screenshots on Eurogamer (and other sites) which caused such an uproar here a few pages back ("their capture card sucks" etc) are direct from Sony themselves.

So please, no more of this BS about poor quality shots, 'upres tricks' and other nonsense. These are direct from the source, and as such are probably a fair representation of the game's graphics.
Just watch the Kaz video, then bounce outta here.
 
May 16, 2007
997
0
850
Toronto
h3ro said:
Chubigans, can you make us an awesome stick art rendition of this thread in the style only you can do... you know what I'm talkin about! PLEASE!! :lol

PS. Please include the OMG Bulshot trolls.. as well as all of us guys that are busy fapping away at screen shots of a videogame car.. :p

Edit to add: SEE!
Nice I'm a be in a chubigans comic!
 
Nov 10, 2004
8,464
0
0
SolidSnakex said:
They look like crap because i've actually been playing the game a lot lately and it looking nothing like those shots.
Yeah, I've been playing a lot too lately, because of the hype of the US/EU version.
The game looks very sharp and clean in-game, almost no jaggies, quite difficult to spot, while racing.
But there seems to be more (white, flickering) jaggies on the cars during the My Page scenes.
I don't know why PD doesn't add 4x AA in those scenes.