• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Haunted

k79 said:
:lol INDEED!

t63wj6.jpg
wowowow!
I've actually been to that hotel before.

Ninja Scooter said:
god is switching from unreal engine 3.0 to an inhouse engine.
:lol

raziel said:
zomg! :lol

Surfheart

Anyone with the JPN version of GT5:p get pretty bad choppyness with incar cockpit view on the London track? I feel it's pretty much unplayable since the strength of this series, at least since GT3 has been the rock solid silky 60fps. I'm running it in 1080i, in people's experience is is better in 720p? Can anyone that has played the PAL version confirm that incockpit view has improved?

It gotten so ridiculous in here that I hate to bring up valid critisicms for fear of being jumped on and labled a troll or worse, an Xbot or whatever. Believe me, it's not my intention.

Surfheart said:
Anyone with the JPN version of GT5:p get pretty bad choppyness with incar cockpit view on the London track? I feel it's pretty much unplayable since the strength of this series, at least since GT3 has been the rock solid silky 60fps. I'm running it in 1080i, in people's experience is is better in 720p? Can anyone that has played the PAL version confirm that incockpit view has improved?

I play it in 720p for the extra AA and while there's some rare slowdown, it's by no means unplayable.

Surfheart said:

It gotten so ridiculous in here that I hate to bring up valid critisicms for fear of being jumped on and labled a troll or worse, an Xbot or whatever. Believe me, it's not my intention.

You should post some more faked tearing screenshots, resulting in many bans, and then act totally incredulous toward people's reactions. That's what this thread needs more of, I'm sure.

Please don't feel like me bringing up this valid criticism is trolling or worse. Believe me, it's not my intention.

I've played the London track in the JP version. To call it "unplayable" is a stretch of Reid Richards' proportions.

Ploid 3.0

OMG what the crap. I walk into this thread and saw an expensive car in some normal dude's house and thought wow. Then the guy quoted had the "what the crap" beams gifs and I took a closer look... What the crap!!

Sure it's photo mode but GT2's opening CG was doable on ps2, and GT4's photo mode is doable in GT5 real time (if I remember the look correctly). This just shows me how awesome PD is. That stuff looks so hott.

Wait if I remember correctly these are real time. In GT5:p when you are in the main menu and let it sit for a while the icons are removed and the background with your car is always flipping through camera angles and the video looks real time as you can change to another car on the fly via garage. Gimme GT6|

Pimpwerx

h3ro said:
Imagine if Kaz got to go nuts and got the license to those old V12 Ferraris and Turbo-4 Renaults...

That vid was awesome.. can't wait for April!
Some guy on Miami Beach has a 612 Scagletti (I think that's right). He thought I was trying to race him the other day, and opened up that V12 on A1A. That car sounds like a monster is being unleashed. Seriously, I've never heard ANYTHING like that Ferrari V12 at full bore. WOW! That's through factory exhaust too. I hope PD does a good job capturing some of those sounds. PEACE.

Surfheart

Pristine_Condition said:
You should post some more faked tearing screenshots, resulting in many bans, and then act totally incredulous toward people's reactions. That's what this thread needs more of, I'm sure.

Please don't feel like me bringing up this valid criticism is trolling or worse. Believe me, it's not my intention.

I've played the London track in the JP version. To call it "unplayable" is a stretch of Reid Richards' proportions.

I regret the whole faked screenshot thing, I underestimated the reactions it caused. I was expecting "I see what you did there" and nothing more. I'm sorry that people were banned over it.

People are defensive of their favourite franchises/Console of choice I can appreciate that. I don't wish to derail any further.

Surfheart

SolidSnakex said:
I play it in 720p for the extra AA and while there's some rare slowdown, it's by no means unplayable.

Is it possible to set 720p from within the game? I seem to recall some talk about the patch to the JPN version allowing that, but I couldn't see how to do it. I would prefer to leave 1080i enabled on the XMB for stuff like Blu-ray movies.

Surfheart said:
I regret the whole faked screenshot thing, I underestimated the reactions it caused. I was expecting "I see what you did there" and nothing more. I'm sorry that people were banned over it.

Fair enough. At least you are willing to man up and express regret over it. I think people can respect that.

Surfheart said:
People are defensive of their favourite franchises/Console of choice I can appreciate that. I don't wish to derail any further.

Well that's the way it always is. It's kinda silly to act surprised about it or incredulous about people's reactions to your negative posts, especially when you lead with an outrageous stunt in your first post.

But you are right, you did the right thing, and we can move on with your valid concerns.

There is some slowdown on the London track in the JP version. I don't know to what extent they've improved it in the Euro version, since I don't have it, so I can't speak to it. But to say the slowdown in London track rendered the track unplayable in the JP version, even in the cockpit mode, was something I didn't experience at all.

Truespeed

Surfheart said:

It was like posting an actual Halo 3 screen shot grabbed from the frame buffer in the Halo 3 screen thread
j/k
. I'd expect the same backlash if I doctored an image and posted it without any emoticons or spoiler tags. We had no context of what your intentions were, but no worries - you've explained yourself and edited the original message.

Holy-Shit.jpg

Holy Fuck at the F1 video.

Just give them the liscense DAMN IT!!.

The times where I smiled from watching a game video.

LBP GDC presentation
F1 GT5 video.

Surfheart

Ranger X said:
Polyphony am Gods of lighting. Seriously. Call me when any other game reach that.

This is true. I love how the lighting even reacts depending on the colour of your car. Like I was watchin a replay of my Evo IX coming out of the tunnel in Eiger and the light was blooming/bouncing off it like crazy due to it being painted white I assume. I didn't notice it being so intense from darker coloured cars.

Nice touches.

Grayman

Surfheart said:
When I go into video options it shows me the current res but the controls to change it are greyed out?
I think you'll have to toggle it in the xmb. I think you can switch HD reses on and off without spending much time though.

nofi

Surfheart said:
When I go into video options it shows me the current res but the controls to change it are greyed out?

Shouldn't do, you can change it. You're using the latest version right? The option underneath is for progressive/interlaced too, IIRC.

Edit: shit, I'm late. Better get to work!

Ranger X said:
Polyphony am Gods of lighting. Seriously. Call me when any other game reach that.

They're one of the few racing game developers that actually even attempts to make their racer look realistic. As you can see with many racers this gen it's more common to use real cars and real tracks and then use a stylized art direction. I think that shows just how hard it is to do. All your work could go down the drain if you're attempting to make a racing game look realistic and then you screw up the lighting as it'll ruin the entire look.

Templar Wizard said:
Whats the dealio with us GT5pJap owners? do we get a sweet update? or do we have to double-dip if we want to set f1 times on suzuka?

There's no actual confirmation that we're getting it, but the F2007 screens that Sony released have Japanese text on them which does suggest that we should be getting an update.

FightyF

Banned
I said it before and I'll say it again, GT5 Photomode thread will be the best thread ever.

Especially the shots of me lapping your sorry asses. :D

Seriously though, these shots look great as is, but there could be some epic shots of stuff like 16 F2007s approaching a chicane, tightly packed. Or two racers side by side nearing the finish.

If it does truly have a livery editor, it will be nuts.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do we know if the photo mode pics gets saved to the HDD? Just like in Wipeout HD?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SolidSnakex said:
GT5P doesn't have a photomode.
I was more thinking of GT5 :)

Goldrusher

Another GTplanet update...

bold = interesting

SIXTH UPDATE

Two more days has passed and I didn't have much time playing. However, yesterday I did some drifting, as well found out some other very useful information.

Drifting
Drifting is available in Arcade modes. I really didn't remember to check out is it also available for 2P, but I'll do it later. Drifting is made MUCH MORE interesting then in GT:HD, just because of few details. First, track is now divided into 5-or-more sections which are shown through numbers. At the end, you see separate point-details for every section, together with final points. Section starts-ends are more visible now, while the audience gives one damn good "Everybody's Golf Special Touch" - when you drive section bad they "boooooo" you, when you drive it OK they clap, but when you make a section-perfect drift they go completely mad I find that extremely nice touch, you'll witness it for yourself and soon and see what I'm rally talking about.

More about F2007
This one is important Since there are many people here who will try to get their fingers on that sweet (is it still Momo?) wheel, I have one bad news for them - you'll have to wait You actually can't buy F2007 before finishing all S class venue races. Now it's clear what is behind the logic of not being able to cash-in more then 2 million in the bank in one moment - thisway game forces you to play all venues before getting your foot on that baby-engine. So dear ladies and gentleman, GT5:p wants you to spend all your money first on other cars, before giving you the opportunity to drive The Car. Sorry if this news disappointed anyone.

As I have finished all races now, there's nothing else to open in-game besides above mentioned purchase-option. And I also realized something that didn't caught my eye before - great S8 test from JP game (as-known-as "Team Work Test") is not existent any more, which I find bad for all people who didn't play JP game - it was one damn nice test.

Worth mentioning is tyre-chooser in Time Trial mode. I have pretty much jump on conclusion what could be the point behind above-mentioned (in my first update I think) non-ability to choose other tyre-component besides S2 in Time-Trial. Thisway, all Time-Trial races will be run on the same compound for all cars (which explains why the even F2007 uses S2 compound), thus making the Time-Trial Online Rankings more competitive for showing the true TOP100 drivers in the World. Since Rankings didn't work in both times when test-online was up, I still can't confirm this 100%, but somehow I think it could be the case. Of course, JP system with all compounds and both physics-modes was more detailed (and I liked it more to be honest), but thisway there will be more competition I guess.

Also, from the reasons above I can't confirm are the Drift-Trials also part of Online Rankings, but somehow I think they will have to be.

This concludes my sixth update. I'll try to prepare new video soon - this time my F40 drive of the S6 mission-race, the greatest Gold Cow race of the whole game. In S6 you have to do one-lap-magic on Suzuka GP circuit with F40 and climb from 16th to the 1st position. Yesterday I finally did it, and it's a damn fun race to drive (it can't be beaten in Professional physics mode though), and it gives you big 35,000 credits for 1st place. However, it's also very hard to beat, since you have to overpass 13 cars before the hairpin, leaving you R8 and GT-R Black Mask for second part of the track. It's not the cleanest race, but since the penalties are mandatory you also need lots of finesse and knowledge of coping with the track.

Oh, and the Prize Car for "S" Event sVenue is GT-R Proto '05.

Top Bottom