• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 microtransaction pricing revealed - just £120 for a Jaguar XJ13

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Pay or play. Your choice.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-04-gran-turismo-6-microtransaction-pricing-revealed

We already knew Polyphony's racer would include microtransactions - a first for the series. Now we're nearing the game's Friday 6th December release more information on how these work has been revealed.

Let's start with the virtual currency, credits. Credits, which you use to buy cars and parts, can be bought in 500K, 1 million, 2.5 million and 7 million denominations.

The PlayStation Store updated today with the prices for these. They are as follows:

500,000 In-Game Credits (£3.99/€4.99)
1 Million In-Game Credits (£7.99/€9.99)
2,500,000 In-Game Credits (£15.99/€19.99)
7 Million In-Game Credits (£39.99/€49.99)

The video, below, showcases GT6's cars and reveals one of the top priced, the Jaguar XJ13, which costs 20 million credits. You can grind for it in traditional Gran Turismo fashion or you can buy it straight away if you drop £119.95 - that's the total you pay for two packs of 7m credits, two packs of 2.5m credits and one pack of 1m credits.

The issue is, will Gran Turismo's progression system be adversely affected by microtransactions? Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

Sony maintains that GT6's microtransactions offer players an alternative fast-track route through the series' famously grindy progression. Eurogamer's review will be published on Friday.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It's a good thing the game has a thousand cars and almost forty tracks. And that the payouts range into the hundreds of thousands for seasonal events.

Not to mention the game will be releasing 28 DLC cars over the next few months, all of them free.

bigkrev

IF the normal progression of the game is the same, and if that is comprable to what the highest priced cars in previous games cost, I have no issue with this.

IF

Pay or play. Your choice.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-04-gran-turismo-6-microtransaction-pricing-revealed

The issue is, will Gran Turismo's progression system be adversely affected by microtransactions? Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

So, based on the earnings/payouts in GT5, how long would it take someone to get 20million credits?

panty

Isn't it confirmed the payout for driving(grinding) is way bigger than in Forza? Ie. it doesn't destroy the game.

Fuck this.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Don't support this. Even if this game's economy was not changed by the introduction of notsomicrotransactions, you can be sure almost every other one will.

nib95

Banned
Fuck you Polyphony. This shit disgusts me. I can't buy in to this. My most hyped game and I'm on the verge of cancelling my pre order.

Hasney

But has the game been crippled to make it harder to save money?

That's what is the important factor.

Yeah, this. I'm going to cancel my pre-order until this is fully explored, because this is getting ridiculous.

If it's the same and you just have the option of buying with cash, then fine.

Massa

You forgot to bold the important part: "Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar."

Thankfully they didn't ruin the economy of the game to support macrotransactions.

panty

But has the game been crippled to make it harder to save money?

That's what is the important factor.

So if it's exactly the same as in GT5, no harm done?

Microtransactions are just an option. They didn't build the system for the micros. The game still plays like GT5 which didn't have any shitty micros.

Mario007

Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

I really think this should be highlighted in the OP. It looks like this will be the same old GT but with the option to buy a car with real money if you want to.

Hasney

You forgot to bold the important part: "Eurogamer's Martin Robinson has been playing the game and tells me GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar."

Thankfully they didn't ruin the economy of the game to support macrotransactions.

Oh thank god. I've now slipped off my underwear of indignant rage.

Z3M0G

Hopefully... if the balance remained the same as it always was, there should be no problem.

But it is hard to imagine it remaining the same balance... it would be difficult to resist the temptation to make things a little more difficult to achieve, and tempt the player to spend more money.

I really didn't want to see this come to GT...

Nope, you are gifted cars as before, credits are as easy to come by as always, and you are never prompted to buy credits.

Ok, this sounds great.

panty

Yeah, this. I'm going to cancel my pre-order until this is fully explored, because this is getting ridiculous.

If it's the same and you just have the option of buying with cash, then fine.

So time to pre-order again right?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If they really didn't fuck the economy up Turn 10-style, then I'm fine with this.

Darklord

Banned
This shit is going to kill gaming. Micro-transaction are one thing on a free or 99 cent game but on full priced $60 games it's terrible. The worst part is it's not because it's just extra money. You CAN'T ignore it because they build the game around these fucking micro-transactions. Like taking over 500 hours to get the cars in Forza 5 without paying extra.

How long until RPG's have one class and 3 unlockable classes? How long until the next bih FPS is just so insanely hard you're forced to buy extra shield power or better weapons? This is worse than always-online, this is worse than DRM, this is literally game breaking unless you fork out more and more money.

suedester

Banned
GT6's economy works exactly the same as GT5's, with progression, payouts and car prices very similar.

I think this is the important thing. If people want to pay to avoid the grind then that is up to them. I'm not sure it needs to be quite that expensive though.

Kukuk

Banned
In GT5 there was a seasonal event which, when paired with the daily bonus, payed out 1.2 million credits. And it was easy as fuck. So I'm not too worried about the grind.

Anyone know if they're still going to do daily bonuses in GT6?

Skittles

Why wasn't this bolded?

RMI

Banned
If the game's economy is intact and this is just another payment option, fine I guess. I was getting excited about this GT but now I'm back to feeling ambivalent about it.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is only bullshit if they deliberately set back regular credit accumulation in order to nudge players into paying for additional credits.

So until that is confirmed I'll reserve judgement I guess.

GYNGA

What did you expect, people? It's not like GT is a best seller or something. PD has to earn money somehow

Top Bottom