• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

IISANDERII

And that's great, I'm genuinely glad you're happy. I don't inherently dislike time trials myself but I'm not sure why that means there can't be a variety of events though. That would make well, more people happy with no real effort on their part. They have a framework for multiple event styles (as evidenced by the career) so why not use them?

To be honest with time-trials they don't even need to have multiple events to satisfy more people. Just have a more indexed leader board that allows me to define what I see, stock/modified and each aid on/off would be great for example.

And that's a shame you don't like it... but I'll probably love it, because it will teach me something that hopefully will make me a better driver (I need it!).

Sometimes I don't want to bend a car to my will. Sometimes I want it to try and kill me. I want to tame it. You know?

On a different note, with the multiple lap thing comment, you may have misunderstood what I was saying, I meant multiple round events, akin to a rally style timed event. Specific multiple lap time trial events would be fun as well though now you say it.

With racing I'm starting to learn that consistency is maybe as valuable as outright pace over one lap.

As someone who does tune their cars Sander, do you mind if I ask a question about camber and toe and their relationship with speed vs tyre wear? I've been trying to learn to tune by driving NASCAR online, it's a consistent track and car time and time again so it seems like the best place to learn the basics.

I've slowly got to the point where I have a car that can vaguely keep up with the pack and sometimes the leaders (I'm now trying a three gear transmission with a fourth only for fuel saving) but I can't get the tyres to wear evenly. I either end up running out of front right or rear right (sometimes on the same setup!!) and I can't really work out why or find a happy medium. Any ideas Sander, or indeed anyone?
I see "bending a car to my will" and "taming it" as the same thing. But I'm pragmatic about it and feel that racing is 95% preparation so the taming is done before you hit the track.
find it more exciting to drive a car to the limit rather than wrestling with its weaknesses and inadequacies.

But I do see your point about the seasonals. Right now I do find them more to be a means to an end[cash and paint colours] but if they did have those things from single player it would be more fun. I'm just automatically jaded by now so I just want them over and done as fast possible so I can get back to having fun.

As for the Nascar thing, I think it's impossible to get even tire wear because you'll invariably have more of one turn than another since you're racing on a circuit. Never mind if it's an oval. Having said that, I would aim for toe in your rears and perhaps toe out on your fronts to reduce friction on the tires with the most load if it's an oval.

amar212

Every time one of you bumps this thread, my heart breaks. You will be responsible for my death.

Well, there is pretty significant update heading for Monday, April 7th, 1.06.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/00_3793638.html

On April 7th 'gurantsurisumo 6' of execution schedule it is added with update 1.06 with “GPS bijiyuaraiza”...

Ah, the beauty of the machine translation..

Currnet PR covers only GPS Data VIsualizer, but I presume the actual in-game Data Logger will be delivered (as one of the points scheduled for future updates on the GT6 site), and probably some other new details.

ruttyboy

Well, there is pretty significant update heading for Monday, April 7th, 1.06.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/00_3793638.html

Ah, the beauty of the machine translation..

Currnet PR covers only GPS Data VIsualizer, but I presume the actual in-game Data Logger will be delivered (as one of the points scheduled for future updates on the GT6 site), and probably some other new details.

In terms of impact on actual people who play the game I would not describe that as a significant update. I don't think many people will take advantage of an in-game data logger (there’s no real practical use for it in a computer game that I can see), but surely an even smaller number of people will use this in-car data logging thing that’s restricted to one expensive new car and three racetracks in Japan. For 99.99999% of players it’s 100% a waste of development time.

I’ve kind of lost hope at this point, they’ve ingratiated themselves into the motor industry to the point that that seems to be their focus.

Tool_Area.TOOLS

Tool_DataLogger.Data Logger
Tool_GPS.GPS Replay
Tool_Photo.Photo Travel

There's stuff in the game already for this GPS visualizer, support for the Toyota and Subaru GPS gizmos, USB GPS import, replay editor, etc.

GPS compatible tracks:

Ascari
Laguna Seca
Monza
Twin Ring Motegi
Fuji Speedway
Nurburgring
Silverstone
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Suzuka Circuit
Tsukuba Circuit
Willow Springs

The most import thing is USB GPS import, there's no excuse for Course Maker not to support it now.

Where's the new track? The missing cars from the GT6 car database?

2010 Joey Logano #20 GameStop TOYOTA CAMRY
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Final Prototype
500 Mondial Pinin Farina Coupe CN.0422MD '54 - Pebble Beach GT Award Winner 2012
Audi Quattro S1 Base Model '86
Audi R18 TDI Base Model '11
Audi R8 LMS Base Model '10
BMW Vision Gran Turismo
Chevrolet Camaro SS "Edge Special"
Ferrari F10 '10
Ferrari F2007 '07
Ginetta G4 '64
GSR Hatsune Miku BMW '12
Jenson Interceptor MkIII '74
Nissan 370Z (GT Academy 2012)
Nissan 370Z (GT Academy 2013)
Nissan 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy 2010)
Nissan 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy 2013)
Nissan GT-R Black edition (GT Academy 2013)
Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy 2010)
Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy SPECIAL)
Nissan Leaf G (GT Academy 2013)
Nissan March 12SR (GT Academy Version) '07
Nissan Silvia spec-R AERO (GT Academy Version) '02
Red Bull Racing Kart 125 Color
Red Bull X2010 5G
Red Bull X2010 JP Flag Color
Red Bull X2014 Junior Color
XXXXXXX

Missing Photo Travel locations:

PHOTO_4_9_DAY.Piazza Nove Aprile (Day)
PHOTO_4_9_NIGHT.Piazza Nove Aprile (Night)
PHOTO_AUSTRIA.AUSTRIA
PHOTO_GERMANY.GERMANY
PHOTO_ITALY.ITALY
PHOTO_JAPAN.JAPAN
PHOTO_SPAIN.SPAIN
PHOTO_SWISS.SWITZERLAND
PHOTO_USA.USA
PHOTO_NIMITZ
PHOTO_NIMITZ_TIP

Nimitz the aircraft carrier? LOL

PHOTO_CAC_DAY.City of Arts and Sciences (Day)

Valencia is often seen as Spain's third city after Madrid and Barcelona. Upon land reclaimed from the riverbed where the mighty Turia once flowed stands the City of Arts and Sciences. It was designed to bring a futuristic and imposing majesty to match that of the waters which surround it, and the buildings which comprise its individual parts resemble living beings with huge skeletons, whose repeating motifs give an impression of enormous yet graceful power. The buildings were designed by native Valencian Santiago Calatrava and Madrid-born Félix Candela, and are one of Spain's most recognisable landmarks, attracting sightseers from across the globe.

PHOTO_CAC_NIGHT.City of Arts and Sciences - Night

Valencia, perched on the Mediterranean coast, is Spain's third city. Drivers making the journey from the old town toward the port are greeted with a breathtaking sight: in the former riverbed of the redirected Turia stands the City of Arts and Sciences. The city consists of an aquarium, a museum of the sciences, and an opera house, among other facilities, in five huge structures that tower above the water surrounding them, almost as if floating upon it. Each of the buildings is imbued with an aura of dynamism, synergy and power. When the sun goes down, the city puts on its night-time face with the help of an elaborate lighting scheme.

PHOTO_GEMA_SOLAR.Gemasolar

Gemasolar is a huge concentrated solar power plant located on the outskirts of Seville in Spain. The 185 hectare (457 acre) site features 2,650 individual, 9 x 12-metre reflectors arranged in concentric circles. This is designed to reflect and concentrate the Sun's rays into a central tower in order to generate enough electricity to supply 25,000 households. While other solar plants are only capable of generating electricity during daylight hours, Gemasolar utilises the Sun's residual heat, along with a subtance known as molten salt, which is capable of storing heat more effectively than water, to provide uninterrupted 24-hour energy. It is a unique site, where a vision of utilising nature's power to the maximum has been realised on a truly grand scale.

PHOTO_RONDA.Ronda

Ronda is a southern Spanish city, located a short distance from the Strait of Gibraltar. It is dramatically bisected by the canyon known to locals as "El Tajo de Ronda", and perches precariously atop a small plateau. The great stone arches of the Puente Nuevo bridge in the centre of the city, built in the 18th century to span the gap between the two halves of the town, extend up to 100 metres (328 ft) to the valley floor below. The views from the bridge are breathtaking, and the gorge below can be seen stretching deep into the Sierra de Grazalema mountain range. The streets surrounding the bridge are lined with souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants, and teem the whole year round with tourists from all over the globe.

PHOTO_SIRACUSA_DAY.Syracuse

The isle of Sicily is blessed with all the beauty of the Mediterranean, and on its south-eastern tip sits the jewel in its crown: the Ancient Greek city of Syracuse. The region was devastated by an earthquake in the 17th century, and Syracuse suffered huge destruction, but it is thanks to the post-quake rebuilding that the town boasts so many fine examples of 17th-century Baroque architecture. Perhaps the greatest of these can be found among the corridor-like streets of the isle of Ortygia. The Piazza Duomo forms the focal point of this small island, and is lined on all sides with fine Baroque facades, and a majestic cathedral into whose walls are incorporated the columns of the Ancient Greek temple of Athena, which once stood on the very same spot.

PHOTO_SIRACUSA_NIGHT.Syracuse - Night

The isle of Sicily lies at the southern end of the Italian peninsula, with the city of Syracuse perched on its south-eastern tip. The town has its origins in Ancient Greece, and its environs are littered with Greek and Roman ruins, which led to its being declared a World Heritage Site in 2005. The best-preserved parts of the old city can be found on the isle of Ortygia, which is reached via a bridge from the rest of the city, and which boasts the grand Piazza Duomo as its centrepiece. The Piazza is lined with classic examples of Baroque architecture, and dominated by the cathedral, which, while also in the Baroque style, incorporates the Doric columns of the pre-existing Temple of Athena into its walls.

dubc35

Significant update: GPS logging for one car and three circuits in Japan. In game data logging (that has shipped on the game disk since GT3(?)). Not my idea of a significant update.

Against my better judgement Kaz, I drank your kool-aid again. It will be the last time. I've been playing GT since GT1 and this marks the end.

Toyota City, Japan, April 2, 2014―Toyota Motor Corporation will launch the “Sports Drive Logger” onboard telemetry recording device, an exciting new way to enjoy driving by fusing the thrill and adrenaline of track driving with the comfort and fun of home gaming. Designed specifically for the Toyota "86" sports car, the Sports Drive Logger will be released throughout Japan on June 2*1 with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of 91,800 yen*2.

The logger collects data passing through the vehicle’s controller area network (CAN) and also positional data from its dedicated GPS, and formats the data for easy copying to USB memory. CAN data can include GPS data, accelerator pedal strokes, steering angles, brake operation signals, shift operation signals, engine speed and vehicle speed.

The first application compatible with the data is Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.’s racing game Gran Turismo 6 (GT6), a PlayStation®3 (PS3) exclusive. On April 2, a PS3 firmware update (version 1.06) will enable the input of driving data recorded at certain racing circuits into GT6’s GPS Visualizer to let users replay track runs and race against their own or their friends’ data.

Furthermore, by using the GPS Data Visualizer in conjunction with GT6’s GPS Data Logger, users will be able to compare their own driving data against those of professional drivers, enabling study and improvement of driving techniques by practicing in concert with model braking, acceleration techniques and racing lines.

Initially supported racing circuits are the Fuji Speedway International Racing Course, the Tsukuba Circuit 2000 Course, and the Suzuka Circuit International Racing Course, with additional circuits planned for the future.

I hope they've got some pro driver / test driver lap data to download so people can try this thing.

GPS AI banderas.gif

ruttyboy

Cheaper than a metallic coating and it does much better things than metallic coating.

Does it? Perhaps if you live in Japan and have access to those three racetracks it might. For the rest of the world, as hilariously superficial as it is, having a nicer looking car would actually be of more practical use.

If this is the GPS system they were talking about and there'll be no smartphone (or Vita FFS!) GPS compatibility then God damn that's pathetic.

This would be better off as an april fools day joke. Useless feature like some of us have already said. Yes, the tech is nice, maybe there´s like 100 or 200 GRan Turismo owners out there who are rich enough to be able to take their cars to one of those race tracks, so there´s that.

The only real useable thing for this is to translate real life laps onto the game to see where the game is missing things in terms of simulation.

On a second thought this might be good to analyse the physics of the game and i might be just acting like debbie downer, so let´s wait and see.

amar212

The only real useable thing for this is to translate real life laps onto the game to see where the game is missing things in terms of simulation.

On a second thought this might be good to analyse the physics of the game and i might be just acting like debbie downer, so let´s wait and see.

Exactly. This feature and overall functionality is a massive data-collector from RL tracks. I find it as magnificent tool to have astonishing amount of data gathered. And as Vanilla quoted above from the .hex files, it is there for almost all RL tracks.

Once the Nurburgring is included and PS4 version of the game is ready togehter with new version of the software, it will become a huge feature.

I will probably never use it in my life, but I see its great importance for the actual game and I welcome it.

ruttyboy

Exactly. This feature and overall functionality is a massive data-collector from RL tracks. I find it as magnificent tool to have astonishing amount of data gathered. And as Vanilla quoted above from the .hex files, it is there for almost all RL tracks.

Once the Nurburgring is included and PS4 version of the game is ready togehter with new version of the software, it will become a huge feature.

I will probably never use it in my life, but I see its great importance for the actual game and I welcome it.

So it's a development tool for a game that isn't even announced yet, but is being publicised as an exciting feature for an already released game that isn't even complete?

Come on Amar, I think you're stretching there.

Ted

Well, last night a lot of drivers died up on the Matterhorn but they were valiant deaths, at least in the end, as I did finally get the gold in the Scooby event (1:20.649, 8116 at time of completion).

I can't thank Rutty enough for the car tip, setup and for the ghost to follow. Being able to watch and follow some clean, quick lines in free run was a massive help. Thanks man. Much appreciated.

If I complete the FXX one I may try and knock a tenth or so off my time as I know I am losing a chunk on the exit of the chicane after the technical section at the bottom of the long drag up hill. I'm actually losing double time by not being quick through here as I lose time at the chicane but also speed up the hill due to a lower exit speed.

I ended up tuning the car a little and the setup is below if anyone finds it useful. I don't really know what I'm doing with tuning but was following some solid principles that I have learnt recently.

Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STi Version '98 - As recommended by Ruttyboy

Get the power to 500pp as per Rutty's post:

Triple plate clutch kit
Carbon propeller shaft
Stage 3 Engine Tuning
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Power Limited to 96.2%
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet
Window Weight Reduction

Then add:

Fully Customisable Transmission (leave the ratios as is, apart from 6th gear at 0.781 to avoid topping out down hill through the first section)

Then add:

Fully Customisable Suspension
110F / 95R
6.50F / 7.80R
3F / 3R
3F / 3R
4F / 4R
0.0F / 0.0R
-0.10F / -0.20R

Then add:

Customisable LSD and torque
5F / 10R
15F / 40R
5F / 10R
Torque Split 35:65

It all makes the car a little tighter and a little edgier than stock but I liked it.

I see "bending a car to my will" and "taming it" as the same thing. But I'm pragmatic about it and feel that racing is 95% preparation so the taming is done before you hit the track.
find it more exciting to drive a car to the limit rather than wrestling with its weaknesses and inadequacies.

That's fair play. I suspect that we are coming at it from two different levels of experience, I guess from my point of view I need to learn more about the stock car to make the judgement about how to tame it with tuning because I'm not a good driver inherently.

I have to admit though, I do like wrestling with weaknesses and inadequacies. What this says about me I'm not sure I care to think about!!

As for the Nascar thing, I think it's impossible to get even tire wear because you'll invariably have more of one turn than another since you're racing on a circuit. Never mind if it's an oval. Having said that, I would aim for toe in your rears and perhaps toe out on your fronts to reduce friction on the tires with the most load if it's an oval.

Totally even wear is difficult definitely, especially with only being able to adjust front and rear but I think I can get a little more life out of these tyres (7 or 8 laps at Daytona in the draft - around 220+ in / 200+ out - on VFTW and the front right is screaming for mercy!).

At the moment I have pretty high camber front and rear (way more front) and negative toe on both axles (-0.25) so I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks Sander, much appreciated.

amar212

So it's a development tool for a game that isn't even announced yet, but is being publicised as an exciting feature for an already released game that isn't even complete?

Come on Amar, I think you're stretching there.

No, I am not.

It has been in works for more than 6 years, we learned about it in 2007 IIRC

At this point it is done and ready to be included in the game. If I understood well, this functionality will allow owners of vehicles that will support the functionality to use it in full, but will also allow "regular" players to download those laps made by various drivers in RL and upload it in their GT6 and compete against RL times or styles of driving

I can see this particular functionality being very important just from the current form and I am also looking in the future where RL drivers will be able to tackle Nurb or Ascari and us having a chance to run against their RL "ghosts"

Basically, something like Coulthard Top Gear SLS Challenge, only this time we would all get a RL Coulthard's replay (Ghost) to compete against via 1:1 accuracy

What am I stretching?

No, I am not.

At this point it is done and ready to be included in the game. If I understood well, this functionality will allow owners of vehicles that will support the functionality to use it in full, but will also allow "regular" players to download those laps made by various drivers in RL and upload it in their GT6 and compete against RL times or styles of driving

I can see this particular functionality being very important just from the current form and I am also looking in the future where RL drivers will be able to tackle Nurb or Ascari and us having a chance to run against their RL "ghosts"

Basically, something like Coulthard Top Gear SLS Challenge, only this time we would all get a RL Coulthard's replay (Ghost) to compete against via 1:1 accuracy

What am I stretching?

That´s the cool thing i was forgetting, Coulthard is a good example. Chasing real life laps would be great and would demonstrate just how faster you can go in virtual life because of no G forces, fear, etc...

Well, last night a lot of drivers died up on the Matterhorn but they were valiant deaths, at least in the end, as I did finally get the gold in the Scooby event (1:20.649, 8116 at time of completion).

I can't thank Rutty enough for the car tip, setup and for the ghost to follow. Being able to watch and follow some clean, quick lines in free run was a massive help. Thanks man. Much appreciated.

If I complete the FXX one I may try and knock a tenth or so off my time as I know I am losing a chunk on the exit of the chicane after the technical section at the bottom of the long drag up hill. I'm actually losing double time by not being quick through here as I lose time at the chicane but also speed up the hill due to a lower exit speed.

I ended up tuning the car a little and the setup is below if anyone finds it useful. I don't really know what I'm doing with tuning but was following some solid principles that I have learnt recently.

Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STi Version '98 - As recommended by Ruttyboy

Get the power to 500pp as per Rutty's post:

Triple plate clutch kit
Carbon propeller shaft
Stage 3 Engine Tuning
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Power Limited to 96.2%
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet
Window Weight Reduction

Then add:

Fully Customisable Transmission (leave the ratios as is, apart from 6th gear at 0.781 to avoid topping out down hill through the first section)

Then add:

Fully Customisable Suspension
110F / 95R
6.50F / 7.80R
3F / 3R
3F / 3R
4F / 4R
0.0F / 0.0R
-0.10F / -0.20R

Then add:

Customisable LSD and torque
5F / 10R
15F / 40R
5F / 10R
Torque Split 35:65

It all makes the car a little tighter and a little edgier than stock but I liked it.

That's fair play. I suspect that we are coming at it from two different levels of experience, I guess from my point of view I need to learn more about the stock car to make the judgement about how to tame it with tuning because I'm not a good driver inherently.

I have to admit though, I do like wrestling with weaknesses and inadequacies. What this says about me I'm not sure I care to think about!!

Totally even wear is difficult definitely, especially with only being able to adjust front and rear but I think I can get a little more life out of these tyres (7 or 8 laps at Daytona in the draft - around 220+ in / 200+ out - on VFTW and the front right is screaming for mercy!).

At the moment I have pretty high camber front and rear (way more front) and negative toe on both axles (-0.25) so I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks Sander, much appreciated.

On a car like the Scooby use 5/5, 5/5 and 5/5 for all LSD settings. Let it all out, car is not that powerfull and needs every bit of power it can get. High LSD settings are only needed for some cars that were a hassle to handle. Dodge Viper in older games was the posterchild for this.

Data Logger needs to be used to fix the dumb AI with all the data it logs, it should be able to learn directly from you as you drive the tracks, no more slow as shit cars in the corners, no more dodgy braking, I think we're set for a new dawn in GT racing.

Code:
BEST_LAP.Best Lap Time

COMPARE_LAP.Compare With Other Laps
COMPARE_REFERENCE.Compare With Other Data
CURRENT_BOOST_PRESSURE.Boost Pressure (%)
CURRENT_BRAKE.Brake Input (%)
CURRENT_BRAKE_TEMP_FL.Front-Left Brake Temperature (°C)
CURRENT_BRAKE_TEMP_FR.Front-Right Brake Temperature (°C)
CURRENT_BRAKE_TEMP_RL.Rear-Left Brake Temperature (°C)
CURRENT_BRAKE_TEMP_RR.Rear-Right Brake Temperature (°C)
CURRENT_DIFF_TIME.Time Difference (Sec.)
CURRENT_FUEL_CONSUMPTION.Fuel Consumption (%)
CURRENT_GEARPOS.Current Gear
CURRENT_LOAD_FL.Front-Left Load (N)
CURRENT_LOAD_FR.Front-Right Load (N)
CURRENT_LOAD_RL.Rear-Left Load (N)
CURRENT_LOAD_RR.Rear-Right Load (N)
CURRENT_OIL_PRESSURE.Oil Pressure (%)
CURRENT_RPM.RPM
CURRENT_SPEED.Speed
CURRENT_STEER_ANGLE.Steering Angle°
CURRENT_SUS_STROKE_FL.Front Left Suspension Stroke
CURRENT_SUS_STROKE_FR.Front Right Suspension Stroke
CURRENT_SUS_STROKE_RL.Rear Left Suspension Stroke
CURRENT_SUS_STROKE_RR.Rear Right Suspension Stroke
CURRENT_THROTTLE.Accelerator Input
CURRENT_TIME
CURRENT_TIME
CURRENT_VOORD
CURRENT_VOORD
CURRENT_WHEEL_SPEED_FL.Front Left Wheel Speed
CURRENT_WHEEL_SPEED_FR.Front Right Wheel Speed
CURRENT_WHEEL_SPEED_RL.Rear Left Wheel Speed
CURRENT_WHEEL_SPEED_RR.Rear Right Wheel Speed

DISPLAY_BOOST_PRESSURE.Boost Pressure
DISPLAY_BRAKE.Brake Input
DISPLAY_BRAKE_TEMP_FL.Front-Left Brake Temperature
DISPLAY_BRAKE_TEMP_FR.Front-Right Brake Temperature
DISPLAY_BRAKE_TEMP_RL.Rear-Left Brake Temperature
DISPLAY_BRAKE_TEMP_RR.Rear-Right Brake Temperature
DISPLAY_DATA.Data Display
DISPLAY_FUEL_CONSUMPTION.Fuel Consumption
DISPLAY_GEARPOS.Current Gear
DISPLAY_LOAD_FL.Front-Left Load
DISPLAY_LOAD_FR.Front-Right Load
DISPLAY_LOAD_RL.Rear-Left Load
DISPLAY_LOAD_RR.Rear-Right Load
DISPLAY_OIL_PRESSURE.Oil Pressure
DISPLAY_RPM.RPM
DISPLAY_SPEED.Speed
DISPLAY_SS_FL.Front Left Suspension Stroke
DISPLAY_SS_FR.Front Right Suspension Stroke
DISPLAY_STEER.Steering Angle
DISPLAY_THROTTLE.Accelerator Input
DISPLAY_WS_FL.Front Left Wheel Speed
DISPLAY_WS_FR.Front Right Wheel Speed
DISPLAY_WS_RL.Rear Left Wheel Speed
DISPLAY_WS_RR.Rear Right Wheel Speed

ruttyboy

No, I am not.

What am I stretching?

What you're stretching is that it is now or will become in the future a 'huge feature'.

I can see how it would be great as a development tool for the core engine, but expecting PD to use it creatively and to the benefit of gameplay? I guess I've stopped believing in miracles.

Sorry to be such a downer, I'm not having a go at you, just really disappointed in PD.

EDIT: @Wax - I really don't understand why they aren't already doing that, you don't need a GPS enabled in-car data logger to record people's inputs in a video game.

MGR

This 'feature' a colossal waste of resources and serves no practical purpose to anybody.

Data logged IRL cannot be used to improve the physics engine of the game without context. Even if the data logging vehicle is bog stock off the factory floor there are still so many uncontrolled variables that any information captured and uploaded would be useless. Tyre pressures, race weight (with driver), fuel level, fuel type, track temp, ambient air temp, humidity just to name a few.

Data logged IRL serve no purpose in creating 'ghost' laps as the game physics engine is so far removed from real life the comparisons are pointless. It would be much more interesting to see motor racing celebrities logging laps within the game to run against.

Data logged IRL does not assist with improving AI as once again, the physics between the two are very different. There's absolutely nothing stopping PD from capturing logged data from the game itself (online time trials, racing etc). That would be infinitely more useful in tuning the current slow and timid AI.

There is a myriad of data logging hardware and applications available on the market already and you don't have to lug you're PlayStation and a monitor to the track to use them. And they work on all cars, on all tracks. The novelty of re-living your lap by replicating the data in-game-replay would wear off after one hit before you return to watching footage from your Go-Pro.

This is a pure marketing stunt to try an bamboozle people into thinking 'ZOMG GT6=REAL LIFE!!!'. In reality it only assists to illustrate the accuracy of the track layout. Has absolutely nothing to do with the driving model itself.

I sincerely hope the update includes some useful improvements. Stating with the abysmal online connectivity stability and pitstop tyre bug.

You can now adjust tyre and wheel size with the editor, I'm not sure it affects the handling, I'll have to set my wheel up and test.

photochooser-ea4369f6squq7.jpg

Ted

45 days.

On a car like the Scooby use 5/5, 5/5 and 5/5 for all LSD settings. Let it all out, car is not that powerfull and needs every bit of power it can get. High LSD settings are only needed for some cars that were a hassle to handle. Dodge Viper in older games was the posterchild for this.

I put the diff up high on the advice of a drifter, apparently the higher values make any slip more predictable and controllable under power. I set it like this to try and get the back end moving more smoothly through the technical section before the big climb. I'll try a reduced setting and compare for sure though.

ruttyboy

So tomorrow's the big day!* Even though I know it'll be shit, I'm still a little excited, I'm so pathetic.

Spent a good portion of the weekend doing the FFX time trial, for a while I didn't think I'd be able to gold it with zero assists but got there in the end, just.

It's pretty clear that they are setting the times now expecting you to cheat with SRF and the like.

It's quite depressing, the trials were only getting harder as we went on because they were tailoring them more and more to a stupid situation of their own creation where people are forced to use SRF to compete...

For a handful of rich people

So tomorrow's the big day!*

For a handful of rich people

Update 1.06 will have the Data Logger, GPS Visualizer + included data / video, Zahara Course Maker track and BMW VGT, plus fixes.

If GPS and GT data logger are the only new additions then Polyphony need shutting down.

Ted

Holding onto some hope for shuffle, matchmaking, maybe some community enhancements etc.

Eternally optimistic or foolish, you decide.

ruttyboy

Update 1.06 will have the Data Logger, GPS Visualizer + included data / video, Zahara Course Maker track and BMW VGT, plus fixes.

If GPS and GT data logger are the only new additions then Polyphony need shutting down.

Amazing, I didn't realise until GTP pointed it out, but the Visualiser isn't even an option for the stock 86! It's solely for a limited release JP only racing version. Fucking golf clap all round. /Sigh

Limited release the GAZOO Racing 86/BRZ Race planned for April 2 through Toyota Technocraft Co., Ltd.

ruttyboy

So the surprise additions to the update were a custom rear wing option and 3D TV support, anyone used either yet? Any impressions?

Kukuk

Banned
I've never driven a car with as much oversteer and understeer as the FT-1. It's understeer is like a Veyron, and it's oversteer is like a Shelby Cobra.

I'm close to getting gold, but it's still fucking annoying.

EDIT: And I got it.

Ted

GT6 is Likely to be Ported to PS4

And I thought I was an optimist!

So the surprise additions to the update were a custom rear wing option and 3D TV support, anyone used either yet? Any impressions?

Full change log courtesy of GTPlanet:

GTPlanet said:
Data Logger now available

[Data Logger] has been added to the [TOOLS] section in “My Home”. The Data Logger analyzes the driving data stored on a Replay file and displays it in a graph, allowing users to view and compare variations in vehicle speed, acceleration points, braking points, engine rpm values and gear positions.
GPS Visualizer function introduced

[GPS Visualizer] has been added to the [TOOLS] section in “My Home”. By driving a car equipped with the “Sports Drive Logger” (sold by Toyota) on a real-life circuit, the recorded GPS data can be transferred to “Gran Turismo 6” via a compatible USB storage media, and then subsequently converted into Replay file in the game. It’s be possible to compare and analyze these GPS data using the [Data Logger] feature. This feature is currently available with Fuji Speedway, Tsukuba Circuit and Suzuka Circuit, with more tracks to be added later on.
Custom Rear Wing option implemented

[Custom Rear Wing] has been added to the [External Parts] menu, accessible from the [Custom Parts] options within the [Tuning & Maintenance] section in “My Home”. You can choose a combination of wing mounts, wing style and side winglets. Users can also adjust the height and width of the wing to their liking. (*Please note this feature isn’t compatible with certain cars.)
3DTV compatibility now added

A [3DTV] option has been added to the [Display] category within the [Options] screen in the [MENU] (accessible by pressing the START button). A 3D compatible TV is required for this feature.
Adjustments to the Open Lobby

From the Member List, it is now possible to see the Performance Points, maximum output and weight of the cars that have joined the room.
An “Overall Best” time is now displayed on screen while in Practice, Qualifying, Time Trial and Drift Trial.
The minimum value for [Max Power Limit] and [Minimum Weight] has been changed from 10 to 1.
The options available in the [Race Type] menu within [Room Settings] of the “Event Settings” screen have been changed (*).
Other improvements and adjustments

The Traction Control System (TCS) which is activated when driving off-track is now used only in sand/gravel pits.
The strength of the “Real” option for the [Slipstream Strength] parameter within [Race Settings] when creating a room in [Open Lobby], has been weakened.

(*)Race for Fun / Race for Real / Cruising / Make Friends / Show Off Your Cars / Share Tips and Info / Café

Still no shuffle, online drifting has been relegated to "Show off your cars" in terms of room listings, there are no new tracks or cars and word is that the pit glitch hasn't been fixed... but at least I can "Make Friends" (perhaps at the "Café") now.

I guess we should wait for the amazing Senna update that is - I have no doubt - going to be delivered in a timely way and it's contents will surpass all of our expectations. Eh PD, eh?

EekTheKat

Tested the 3d on an HMZ-T2

The best news from what I've found so far - there's an in-game adjustment of 3d parallax and convergence while you're on the track. 3d parallax and convergence was added towards the bottom of the menu once you pause the game. On GT5 you would have to exit and set it in the options menu before hitting the track, now you can do it on the fly pretty much to ensure comfort.

There's some weird effects in the side windows on a GTR if the convergence value is set too aggressively. Framerate seemed good, resolution seems a bit low-ish, but I haven't seen GT in 3d in a while now (been waiting for this patch) - so it could be just me not being used to it.

ruttyboy

Holy poo! This latest seasonal event has SRF forced off! Maybe there is still hope!

The Japanese release notes for 1.06 mentions that GT Academy 2014 will start April 21st, I wonder if this is why? It would be very embarrassing to have the winner of a GT Academy using SRF IMHO.

Also, if Academy is so close (for them at any rate) maybe we will finally see the new track as part of it, similar to how Motegi was introduced through Academy in GT5?

Someone on GTP said:
The video/ audio signal doesn't "blink" when taking photos now.

Before the update, when you took a photo and after you saved or exited the photo, the video and audio signals would turn off for a second. Now everything is smooth.

Screw GPS Visualisers, now THAT is an update, I might actually take some more photos now :D

amar212

Screw GPS Visualisers, now THAT is an update, I might actually take some more photos now :D

I agree, it was damn annoying to have switch-info displayed over-and-over again.

Now if they would only kill-off completely the ridiculous "stars ray lights" in front lamps and go for the regular bloom as in GT5 - PhotoMode would be great.

Also I am interested in 3D and I am so looking forward to try it today for the first time - I bought a new plasma 11 months ago and never used 3D. Now comes that moment.

IISANDERII

somebody at Gran Turismo Planet said:
From the Member List, it is now possible to see the Performance Points, maximum output and weight of the cars that have joined the room.
An “Overall Best” time is now displayed on screen while in Practice, Qualifying, Time Trial and Drift Trial.
Ooo that excites me, can't wait to play later. I think they put that first part in there so that people can see who's got a hacked car. I was thinking they should do that, great that they're getting on top of it.

Denur

I enjoyed 3D in GT5, but not in GT6. The image quality takes a much bigger big hit than in GT5. Especially the increased amount of aliasing now completely destroys the 3D experience for me.

On the plus side, I am happy that we can now make 3D adjustments in the quick menu. This gives me hope for GT7.

benzy

I enjoyed 3D in GT5, but not in GT6. The image quality takes a much bigger big hit than in GT5. Especially the increased amount of aliasing now completely destroys the 3D experience for me.

On the plus side, I am happy that we can now make 3D adjustments in the quick menu. This gives me hope for GT7.

There's more jaggies, especially on the tree canopies, but it runs heck a lot smoother than GT5 in 3D. GT5 3d was a stutter fest. I just compared single car time trial on nurburgring in both.

amar212

Resolution taxing in 3D is insane.

It is damn smooth, I agree, but the resolution (or IQ, whatever that is) is taxed fully.

Of course, sacrifices had to be made to stabilise the framerate, non-3D is now much smoother and more stable, even in cockpit mode.

And alpha is being downgraded because of that, both rain and smoke are not beautifuly volumetric as they were. But I can live with that simply because I can finally drive from cockpit and get the same late-GT5 feel.

benzy

Yeah, in-game the alpha particle effects are now low-res and cause jaggies around the car again, but it doesn't affect photomode and the resulting higher framerate is a great improvement

nrburgringnordschleif78u5v.jpg

MGR

From GT Planet:

I have to confess I did not believe this at first and had to check for myself and it's true:banghead::yuck::mad:. If you open a room with tuning prohibited, you can no longer use the engine limiter to reduce your PP even by 1 to fit your car into the regulations. On top of that, if you change the room back to unlimited tuning, the engine limiter function remains disabled.:banghead::banghead:

Well congrats PD, you've finally managed to completely fuck my one-make GT6 series. Not content with disabling our one-lap-dash qualifying sessions with the 5 minute minimum that nobody asked for, but now our PP performance based handicapping system is impossible.

Bravo, job well done.

ruttyboy

From GT Planet:

Well congrats PD, you've finally managed to completely fuck my one-make GT6 series. Not content with disabling our one-lap-dash qualifying sessions with the 5 minute minimum that nobody asked for, but now our PP performance based handicapping system is impossible.

Bravo, job well done.

Personally I think the power limiter should definitely be disabled with the rest of the tuning as I can't see how it's anything else but tuning.

Disabling it with tuning allowed though (which I assume is a bug at the moment from the way it's described), I don't know. People use it to cheat by flattening the power curves to a ridiculous level. Maybe the best option would be to be able to disable the power limiter separately to other 'tuning', or restrict the amount you can power limit to 20PP or so?

EDIT: @MGR Just seen your post on GTP about your Championship and why it's frustrating. Until the bug is resolved, perhaps you could add ballast rather than reduce PP? I believe that's how it's done in real life anyway.

GT6 is Likely to be Ported to PS4

I don't care Logitech confirmed the other day that they aren't working on adding PS4 support for their wheels, and that they won't work with PS4 software. Next gen GT and the PS4 are dead to me, Sony fucked up.

Where's my Course Maker, F1 cars and motorbikes? :(

Top Bottom