• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Mobius 1

5apWjV6.png

Developed by Polyphony Digital • Directed by Kazunori Yamauchi • Platform: PlayStation 3 • Genre: Racing Simuluator • Published by Sony Computer Entertainment​

MTeaNsO.jpg

"(...) Our biggest challenge and achievement always lay in transcending the video game set-up by involving the car and motorsport industry." – Kazunori Yamauchi

15 years of Gran Turismo. What began in 1997 as an ambitious but unproven racing game has evolved into one of the most popular and enduring franchises in the world, growing out of its original game constraints to have a lasting impact on the auto industry and the lives of aspiring racing drivers. It's been 3 years since GT5 was released, and the sequel arrives pointing in a new direction for Polyphony Digital as it seeks to build a platform in which to expand and explore towards the future of Gran Turismo.

RENJFgB.png

With none of the infamous delays that plagued the development of Gran Turismo 4 and 5, GT6 is set for worldwide release in early December.

• Japan and Asia: December 5th 2013
  • Worldwide Release: December 6th 2013

lapMd09.png

The 15th Anniversary Edition is limited to pre-orders at Gamestop (USA), GAME (UK) and EBGames (Australia). In Japan, the 15th Anniversary Edition includes a physical, updated version of the Beyond the Apex book. There is a wealth of pre-order bonus offers in place, each particular to a retailer and varying by territory. GTPlanet has put together a comprehensive guide to help you understand the different versions available.

In addition to retail disc-based copies, Gran Turismo 6 will also be released as a digital download from the PlayStation Store. The downloadable version weights in at 15GB, requiring 30GB of free hard drive space for the installation.

The disc based versions of the game will install data to the hard drive for faster loading. Like in GT5, most of the installation will happen as you play, automatically.

WgeWXiw.png

"We’ve really pushed the limits of the PS3 as far as it can go." – Kazunori Yamauchi.

Polyphony has gone on record to state that the main goals for GT6 were the refinement of the user experience and the establishment of a platform for future expansion. On top of it, GT6 features a new rendering engine with improved HDR range, adaptive tesselation for better LOD transitions; an updated driving simulation engine emcopassing new tire, suspension and aerodynamic simulations; streamlined user interface; revamped singleplayer and online modes, and more. More details will be added as we approach release and features are discovered.

heuKapo.png

New Driving Dynamics
Polyphony has entered into collaboration with KW and Yokohama in order to gather accurate data on suspension and tire behavior, leading to revamping of the driving model. Tires take into account its structure and transient characteristics, suspensions utilise actual vehicle analysis, and aerodynamics incorporates vehicle shapes and changes in vehicle orientation.

Supported Steering Wheels
  • Guillemot Thrustmaster T500 RS
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • GT Force Pro
  • G27 Racing Wheel
  • G25 Racing Wheel
  • GT Force RX
  • GT Force
  • Driving Force

5CWlKdu.jpg

"The game should capture the car itself, its movement, handling, environment and landscape, as accurately as possible. That takes a lot of concise and careful observation." – Kazunori Yamauchi

dqbPjhz.png

Gran Turismo 6 brings the largest number of automobiles in the franchise to date, with the number hovering around 1200 confirmed cars. More than 120 high quality (Premium) cars were added, and many of the lower quality legacy cars were revised. Polyphony has stated that plans to release a continuous stream of new cars via DLC, although no details are yet available on release dates or pricing.

Click here for the complete car list (gran-turismo.com)

Car Dealerships & Featured Cars
All available cars are displayed under their respective manufacturers. There are no longer distinctions made between Premium and Standard cars as in the previous version of Gran Turismo, but Standard equivalent cars will only have simplified cockpit views. Up to now, it's unclear how many Standard cars were made into Premium ones, or simply improved upon. Featured cars are recommendations based on your Career progression, online events or category.

Garage
Organizing and managing the cars you own in your Garage is now much more straightforward. You can also try out your cars on Free Runs and change racing gear directly from this location. You can also store cars you don’t normally use in a Stockyard, and transfer to your Garage when required.

csgxxTB.png

"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines" – Enzo Ferrari

GT6 expands on the previous iteration's maintenance and tuning aspects. You can purchase a variety of parts including tires, suspension and brake kits, transmission, clutch and flywheels, exhausts, superchargers, nitrous and others using in-game credits and you can also tune engines and car bodies. Yes, you can buy brake kits now. Finally.

External modifications include aerodynamic parts and over 82 types (with 188 variations) of wheels, with more parts will to be added in future updates.

The new Pit Service screen serves as a hub for maintenance and upkeep of your cars. Car wash, oil change, body reinforcement, body maintenance, and engine maintenance are all performed here.

Racing gear is no longer only acquired through special events, but can be purchased using in-game credits. There are 34 types of helmets (with 952 colour variations) and 28 types of racing suits (with 852 colour variations) as well as special racing gear sets modelled on racing gear of real life drivers.

7pWaOV6.png

Expanding on the previous partnerships between Polyphony Digital and automakers (Citroen by GT, RedBull X2010), comes Vision Gran Turismo_Over 20 of the world leading companies in the automotive industry have designed special cars for Gran Turismo, celebrating its 15th anniversary. Over the course of approximately 1 year, cars from each company will be provided one by one in the game.

hStADiA.png

LZFCaQr.jpg

"I am an artist. The track is my canvas, the car is my brush." – Graham Hill

hgFhzZu.png

GT6 comes with 37 unique locations, and a total of 100 race course layouts. New additions like world-renowed Bathrust and Silverstone and joined by new original courses such as Matterhorn and Gran Turismo Arena. Many locations feature variable time of the day, variable weather, or both.

PD has created an environmental simulation based on the longitude/latitude position of the track is performed for real life tracks. For example, the Le Mans 24 hour race in the game will actually simulate the rise/setting hours of the sun and night-time constellations in the sky from the event in 2013.

The complete course list, as of the release date:

w7l85yS.png

ridGmtr.png

The Course Maker will make a return in a future update. This time, users will be able to use GPS tracking to record their favorite real-world drives and import them into Gran Turismo, where it will be rendered as a race course. Details are scarce at the moment about the true capabilities of the Course Maker, check back when more information is released.

KSqjmaQ.jpg

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." – Mario Andretti

Iw2pCW8.png

This is the main scenario mode of this game, where you begin from the entry level and gradually acquire higher level licenses. With a new system that allows you to progress by gathering a pre-requisite number of stars, progress in the game can be matched to your skill. Many types of events have been made available: later in the game there are particular events where the weather conditions change continuosly. There are also events that recreate the feeling of endurance races in a much shorter period of time. Winning events will award in-game credits that can be used to purchase cars and parts.

Polyphony has paid particular attention to the flow and speed of the user interface, to help players maintain a sense of momentum when navigating through the different events and options.

Coffee Break
Making a return from Gran Turismo4: Prologue, these are mini-games appear between events in the Career Mode. There are many challenges that can be tried over and over again, such as a cone knockdown event inside a stadium, and eco-challenges where you compete for how far you can drive on just 1 litre of petrol.

Special Events
These Events are unlocked as you progress through the game. For example, you will receive invitations to the prestigious Goodwood Festival of Speed, and you can look forward to even more events to be added in future updates.

wJWXAZv.png

Photograph your favourite cars with a realistic SLR camera in new locations such as Ronda, the Valencia City of Arts and Sciences, Gemasolar in Spain, and Siracusa in Italy. It is now possible to simultaneously place 2 cars in locations to photograph. The UI was also revamped, and new photo filters added.

SWdWSCV.jpg
V8zX6wF.jpg

Tf0RQs2.jpg

"By being a racing driver you are under risk all the time. By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win." – Ayrton Senna

ODPuc1V.png

The online experience in GT6 was improved based on player feedback. Races can support up to 16 players, and the lobby makes a return giving a wide range of customization and control over the race settings.

Community
Players can create their own clubs, communicate with one another in the forums and organise race events for their members. It is possible to select from a private racing club, and a public racing club that is open to everyone

Open Lobby
It is possible to create an open room for up to 16 players to enjoy online racing. You can either create your own room or join an existing room. Now it is also possible to set up multiple races in sequence.

Quick Match
This mode is for those who want to get in and race online right away. Matching is performed according to preset regulations, and the race will start when there are enough participants.

Seasonal Events
These are official races, Time Trials, and Drift Trial events that will be distributed online for limited periods of time. In-game credits are awarded according to the results of the race.

Z2Gz5qn.jpg

Partnertship with the Ayrton Senna Institute
Content featuring Ayrton Senna will be released in the future, as the result of a partnership Polyphony Digital and the Ayrton Senna Institute. No specific details about the content, cars or tracks have been released yet. What we know is that Kaz has expressed an interest in depicting Senna's early career, from his beginnings in kart racing throughout his Formula 1 break with Toleman and subsequent drive at Lotus.

Planned DLC

At this point it's not clear if these features will be released in a single update, or separately. Polyphony has stated that it plans to keep updating the game over the next few years and it has built it to be modular.

• B-Spec Mode - The B spec mode is a mode where you give precision instructions to your driver as a race director. This time, this mode will be seamless with the single player career. No more A-Spec/B-Spec separate careers.
  • Course Maker - Will let users create tracks based on GPS coordinates logged via a mobile device.
  • Data Logger - This feature allows you to analyse your saved replay data to show Speed, Engine RPM, Throttle Input, Gear Position, Steering Angle, etc. in a graphical format.
  • GPS Visualiser - This is a feature that allows you to import Controller Area Network (CAN), used to regulate automobile systems, and GPS coordinate data from a real life car into Gran Turismo 6, and visualise the data as a replay in the game. The feature is planned to be compatible with the Toyota Motor Corporation’s CAN-Gateway ECU.
  • Mobile Devices - GT apps for major mobile devices are expected to be released around the same time as the Course Maker update.

Soundtrack
GT6 soundtrack includes more than 100 songs, and users have the ability to enable/disable specific songs, or assign them to Race/Replay, Menu or Slideshow individually.

Additionally, users can create a playlist with their own music files on the PS3's XMB and select it as Race/Replay or Menu soundtrack.

Update Notes
1.00 - Release version.

FAQ
- TBD

Jibbed

Good to see GT6 is looking so good, but I'm waiting until the series makes its way to the PS4 before jumping back in.

The last GT I played extensively was 4; I've only had glimpses of 5 at a friend's house but it seemed like a broken mess of a game.

Dibbz

Great job on the OP. Depending on whether or not I can prise myself away from my PS4 I will try and pick GT6 up.

Great job on the OT! Looking forward to this, will it read your GT5 save at all and let you transfer some cars over? I forget how the GT PSP transfer worked but I remember moving some over to GT5. One other question, have they talked about paying more attention to the single player event car eligibility? There were times where I'd take supercars into compact car events and just dominate.

Good to see GT6 is looking so good, but I'm waiting until the series makes its way to the PS4 before jumping back in.

The last GT I played extensively was 4; I've only had glimpses of 5 at a friend's house but it seemed like a broken mess of a game.

How would it seem a broken mess of a game? Some of the UI stuff was poor at launch and the contrast between standard/premium often large but there wasn't anything I'd call broken.

So excited, hoping the progression is more smooth than gt5,regardless nothing will beat the feeling of driving in the nurburgring

Wanting for the patch to fix DarkGAF compatibility :p

It looks great on White theme, great job OP.

Oh wow, switched to white for a second after reading your post and OT is even better than I thought. Suppose there's no easy way to make it work on both. Oh well, darkgaf looks better 99/100 times :D

Do we have a gauge on how intrusive the microstransactions will be?

They don't seem to be anywhere as bad as Forza 5. In the leaked videos I've seen there's been zero mention of it. I assume the only way you'll see them is by selecting the "DLC Store" option in the main menu.

But then again that could change with the day one update, which as of this post isn't live yet.

Also if anyone wants to see some photo mode shots, check these out:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3781/11108189043_d5774131c4_o.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3718/11108016575_8aeb4fd0be_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7445/11108078266_c0d317f6ae_o.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/11108076196_9ce25c61e8_o.jpg

nded

Worst opening ever.

What happened? The GT series used to have amazing openings and trailers, feels like this is totally missing in GT6

I don't know about it being the worst, but some of the trailers for GT6 blow that intro out of the water. Still, nothing tops the US version of the GT4 intro for me.

So if I don't care about the special cover, I am still essentially getting the 15th anniversary edition with Amazon since it includes all five car packs and the credits?

Greatly looking forward to this game!

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed it it a "5 Car Pack," not 5 individual car packs.

paskowitz

Fanatec wheels work through Logitech G27 emulation (worked in GTA demo, no reason for them not to work on the final game).

synce

Anyone know the average load times for a race? Despite some leaks people seem to be avoiding this question

So if I don't care about the special cover, I am still essentially getting the 15th anniversary edition with Amazon since it includes all five car packs and the credits?

Greatly looking forward to this game!

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed it it a "5 Car Pack," not 5 individual car packs.

Yeah, Amazon givesy ou a million credits which should net you some nice cars. But the Gamestop one just seems on another level

A110 1600S 15th Anniversary Edition
R8 LMS ultra 15th Anniversary Edition
Corvette Stingray (C7) 15th Anniversary Edition
Focus ST 15th Anniversary Edition
Ford Shelby GT500 15th Anniversary Edition
Huayra 15th Anniversary Edition
HSV-010 GT 15th Anniversary Edition
X-BOW R 15th Anniversary Edition
IS F Racing Concept 15th Anniversary Edition
Europa S.2 15th Anniversary Edition
SLS AMG GT3 15th Anniversary Edition
GT-R NISMO GT3 15th Anniversary Edition
Megane Trophy V6 15th Anniversary Edition
Viper GTS 15th Anniversary Edition
Model S Signature Performance 15th Anniversary Edition
Scirocco GT24 15th Anniversary Edition
R18 TDI 15th Anniversary Edition
BMW Z8 15th Anniversary Edition
V16T 15th Anniversary Edition
STRATOS 15th Anniversary Edition
GT40 Mark I 15th Anniversary Edition
Sport quattro S1 Rally Car 15th Anniversary Edition
Coupe (C2) 15th Anniversary Edition
Cobra Daytona Coupe 15th Anniversary Edition
86 GT 15th Anniversary Edition

I'm not sure how many credits that would be, but it's got to be in the millions.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
When GT5 came out I was excited because I hadn't had many games to use with my G27 wheel (Only Ferrari Challenge and Shift) but now I don't have a wheel and not sure if I will enjoy GT6 with the DS because the difference between the pad and wheel were night and day.

I bet I will cave next weekend, been dying for a good driving game.

Top Bottom