• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Smokey

I thought I read something about clutch not working in the game? Or the g27? I can't remember exactly what the statement was.. Can somebody help me out

I downloaded the 1.01 patch before playing the game, and the first set of license tests were incredibly easy. Do the time requirements get more challenging later on with more complex license tests?

Ya shocker huh. First licence tests are easy. Who would have ever guessed!?

The Stealth Fox

There are mechanical damage... the car icon parts start to get red and the car start to get weird symptoms like the wheel pushing more for one side or the engine choked... the car start to get slowly until it can't even turn the engine one.

GT5 have issues with cosmetic damage... that is what you see on car and not what you feel driving.

I meant in GT6. Is there mechanical damage in GT6? I didn't see a setting for it discussed.

Dreamer RD

It seems how aerodynamics engine now works as it should. Good. No way Vette can go 425 km/h, 380 max sounds real oposing to 480.

I mean that car

f5xb2As.jpg

If you stick behind other car then even 480 is possible for some time.
Transmission set to Max Speed (480) with all engine upgrades obviously.

Well I guess each to their own, but from a 'sim' perspective, and maybe even just a 'car enthusiast' perspective, I think you're missing the point somewhat, or at least your priorities are very different from mine.

For me, car selection is about the unique characteristics of each vehicle. It is not just about raw performance figures, it's the overall handling that the physics guys at PD work so hard to get right.

In the case of the Vision GT, it's not a real car and therefore the characteristics would be based on a lot of estimated data, so it's understandable that it could be one to avoid (not because it has no interior).

But to dismiss/avoid all the Standard cars due to a lack of modelled interior is to miss out on the majority of the game's content. If you believe that you are getting the same driving experience from picking a Premium car with similar performance, then you are mistaken (unless we're talking about a variant of the same model that appears both in Standard and Premium forms) - you are missing out on the unique driving characteristics of most of the cars in the game.

So damn true. I never understand people who are so upset by standard cars that they actually want to see them all removed from the game outright. I don't have an issue with any of them, because I play from the bumper camera angle anyway.

Edit: A significant part of the reason why I agree with you is that a lot of the standard cars are "touring cars" or otherwise race-tuned vehicles. The Altezza Touring Car (35k credits; basically the best car you can buy early on) is a very unique vehicle, for example. It's the first car in the game I've driven that doesn't seem to have a clutch.

How much wrong can you put into a single post? The GT5 intro song was great, people quite literally hated it before they heard it. If the same song was released by some indie band I am sure you would have loved it.

And the thread title being idiotic? I'd like to see you try to justify that statement.

It's a terrible song, regardless who plays it. Their live performance of the song at the VGA 2010 wasn't that great either (still kudos for playing live).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoh-QfFVc1k

And yes, the thread title is idiotic. It's neither good nor clever in any way and it's not like GT6 would need one anyway. When you have people asking what the hell it means, then you failed, imo.

I thought I read something about clutch not working in the game? Or the g27? I can't remember exactly what the statement was.. Can somebody help me out

Don't even care about clutch as much as I wish they would model the transmissions correctly where sequential, paddle, h-shifter, etc and what type of cars have full throttle upshifts, lift upshifts, no clutch down shifts, etc. The clutch would be great for the lower level cars but for race trimed cars you would only find yourself using them in the pits and those non existent standing starts. Or better yet, buying that upgraded transmission would allow for easier clutchless shifts, whatever that physical component change of a gearbox is. I forgot if it is the cut of the gears or the syncromesh, etc.

whoever said the framerate is better than academy @ 1080p is just wrong, i just completed my first 5 lap arcade race on bathurst as a test and it's way worse, when you go up and down the hill it's got to be hovering around the 30-40fps mark, it also has some terrible juddering.

as with academy 720p is the only way to play.

and now to start the career.

Quexex

Banned
It's a terrible song, regardless who plays it. Their live performance of the song at the VGA 2010 wasn't that great either (still kudos for playing live).

And yes, the thread title is idiotic. It's neither good nor clever in any way and it's not like GT6 would need one anyway. When you have people asking what the hell it means, then you failed, imo.

They replaced it in Spec 2.0 of GT5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZKcChmVfBw

Much better imo

I found the article about PD's endeavor to capture the Ring. Kaz went there in Winter 02/03 with 20 men, but because of snow they couldn't capture everything of the track immediatley.
They went with plan b. They had 5 two week trips for the whole project and when the weather was bad instead of capturing the track they would visit the German automakers.
They used satellite imagery, construction plans from Nürburgring GMBH as well as plans from the surveyor's office. The difference of the virtual and real track is just 15 millimeters.
On top of that they drove the track with a truck several times which had cameras mounted on it on all sides and was equipped with a laser scanner.
Those scanning sessions took very long because they drove at just between 5kmh and 10kmh. During scanning they didn't listen to Britney Spears as I said before but to Japanese covers of her songs :p
Nissan testdriver Hiroyoshi Kato, who at that time already testdrove cars on the Ring for 15 years, served as track consultant for PD. Last but not least they got telemetry data from several different autmakers and racing teams like Abt Sportsline.

Sorry for the badly edited text, but I hope some of you got a little better understanding on how PD captures real life tracks. Info could be an old hat, but there are always people out there learning something new :p

nasanu

Banned

Because you say a song is terrible does not make it so and you are still yet to say how the title can possibly be idiotic. Also by way of your logic if the title is a fail then every in joke ever conceived is a fail. Either centuries of comedians are wrong or you are wrong, take your pic but be warned, one of those answers is idiotic.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I've had mine over a week but working in the industry has to have some perks to beat the horrendous hours! I get my 'proper' copy of GT6 Anniversary Edition tomorrow.

Yeah, that I understand. I used to get my copies weeks in advance too, Sony was amazing with getting games to their journos quick.

But I see a lot of people with the game who aren't press. :'(

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
I've had mine over a week but working in the industry has to have some perks to beat the horrendous hours! I get my 'proper' copy of GT6 Anniversary Edition tomorrow.

Is it amazing or can't you say yet?

Edit - Just got confirmation from amazon that mine has shipped, next day delivery.

Gt planet mentioned that every European pre-order would get a pre-order bonus. Because of that info I bought the game at the lowest priced online store but didn't get a code anyway. Anyone else with the same problem?

1.01 patch nerfing cars somehow. I noticed it on Special Stage X with Chevrolet Corvette with 480 kmh maxed. Before patch I was farming money there with stable 425-427 km/h, then after update speed was reduced to 380 and even less (all car settings are the same)
Deleted it.

It's a way for PD to force people to buy more MT's.

/solal

I would like to know this too.

Are you still skipping the game?

Still up in the air. iRacing sub recently renewed, really don't like microtransactions, despite indications that it isn't egregious in GT6. GPS shit seems to be in a "coming soon state" so who knows how that will turn out, and that is the only really progressive addition to GT6 imo. Shitty frame rate in cockpit at 1080p is also concerning since I play my PC sims at a rock solid 120fps and am used to that.

On the other hand.. dat good ol fashion GT hype train. Just came way later this time and I am having a lot of fun with Bathurst in iRacing so driving 1000+ cars on it in GT6 is appealing. I also loved racing in NGRL with GT5. Those were the highlights of that game. If only I could get it for free. That would solve everything.

emiliano

Do you guys know how much will this game cost at retail stores? I really hope it will not cost 75 euro as absurdly showed in amazon as the declared price.

Because you say a song is terrible does not make it so and you are still yet to say how the title can possibly be idiotic. Also by way of your logic if the title is a fail then every in joke ever conceived is a fail. Either centuries of comedians are wrong or you are wrong, take your pic but be warned, one of those answers is idiotic.

Music is obviously a matter of different tastes and all that, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who dislikes the song in the intro. I see it as some stupid promo for their album that came out back then and it was absolutely unnecessary. I'm sure there was a good reason PD changed the song for the Spec II intro.

As for the title, it's not really funny, when it's an inside joke and it's definitely a problem with many OTs on GAF. I don't think the game needs a subtitle, especially not with that classy OP. It simply speaks for itself.

I also don't get why you're so offended about someone not having the same opinion as you do. I'd suggest you calm down and relax a bit. The game is out soon enough and we're all going to enjoy it, even with its obvious and annoying flaws.

e: If it makes you happy, I have no idea when I can play the game, because the shitty online retailer I bought the PSN credit from, didn't send me the last code and now I don't have enough funds to buy the game on PSN. I got 40 bucks on my account and I'm waiting for the last card code to get to 60, so I can finally buy the game. Karma!

Ted

Just been reading the manual (link) and the online section says "Once you acquire you National A License in career mode, Open Lobby mode becomes available".

Does anyone with a copy of the game know when you can do your National A License? How much single player do I have to play in order for this to open up? In GT5 I seem to remember I could do the licenses nearly straight away (but then I could also go online nearly straight away) but I'm not sure if this is still true of GT6.

Some friends and I were going to have some early morning shuffle races just after release but I'm guessing that won't be possible now until we have all sunk an hour or so into single player?

Also for those wishing for more advanced lobby search functions, the online manual alludes to them being essentially the same as GT5:

- Room mode ("All", "Practise/Race", "Race with Qualifier")
- Track
- Race Type (As per GT5, "Race for Real" etc)
- SRF
- Region
- Show Full Rooms
- Friends' Rooms Only

(source)

Do you guys know how much will this game cost at retail stores? I really hope it will not cost 75 euro as absurdly showed in amazon as the declared price.
Dunno how it would translate to Euro, but I imagine most retail stores in the UK will have the normal version of GT6 at £40 to £45.

spats

Welp. Went out and bought the Anniversary Edition even though there's a regular GT6 on its way. I'm such a chump.

Update just finished, I imagine the install will take a good while....

malyce

Still up in the air. iRacing sub recently renewed, really don't like microtransactions, despite indications that it isn't egregious in GT6. GPS shit seems to be in a "coming soon state" so who knows how that will turn out, and that is the only really progressive addition to GT6 imo. Shitty frame rate in cockpit at 1080p is also concerning since I play my PC sims at a rock solid 120fps and am used to that.

On the other hand.. dat good ol fashion GT hype train. Just came way later this time and I am having a lot of fun with Bathurst in iRacing so driving 1000+ cars on it in GT6 is appealing. I also loved racing in NGRL with GT5. Those were the highlights of that game. If only I could get it for free. That would solve everything.

I hear ya. Was really looking forward to the match-making and clubs/communities options that were gonna be implemented. Instead they were removed from the game with the 1.01 patch. That kinda deflated my hype, since online will be no different from GT5. The only thing I have to look forward to now is the new physics. If that fails to impress, then back to iRacing it is.

14 hours to go
Just been reading the manual (link) and the online section says "Once you acquire you National A License in career mode, Open Lobby mode becomes available".

Does anyone with a copy of the game know when you can do your National A License? How much single player do I have to play in order for this to open up? In GT5 I seem to remember I could do the licenses nearly straight away (but then I could also go online nearly straight away) but I'm not sure if this is still true of GT6.

Some friends and I were going to have some early morning shuffle races just after release but I'm guessing that won't be possible now until we have all sunk an hour or so into single player?

Also for those wishing for more advanced lobby search functions, the online manual alludes to them being essentially the same as GT5:

- Room mode ("All", "Practise/Race", "Race with Qualifier")
- Track
- Race Type (As per GT5, "Race for Real" etc)
- SRF
- Region
- Show Full Rooms
- Friends' Rooms Only

(source)

Yeah, this gutted me. It's like I'm paying $60 to play GT5 again.

Quexex

Banned
Is it amazing or can't you say yet?

Edit - Just got confirmation from amazon that mine has shipped, next day delivery.

I'm not press so I'm under no embargo ;) However I'm a massive GT5 fan and have played every weeks since it's launch 3 years ago. GT6 is significantly better than 5, the career mode gives you loads to do and so far I've bought only two cars but I have 7 in total from winning with all golds. The physics are amazing and the lighting is much better than GT5 however this has all come at a cost. Physically modelling tyre deformation and suspension as well as updated lighting and rendering techniques have hit the performance quite hard as has been noted by other in this thread.

Quexex

Banned
I hear ya. Was really looking forward to the match-making and clubs/communities options that were gonna be implemented. Instead they were removed from the game with the 1.01 patch. That kinda deflated my hype, since online will be no different from GT5. The only thing I have to look forward to now is the new physics. If that fails to impress, then back to iRacing it is.

14 hours to go

Yeah, this gutted me. It's like I'm paying $60 to play GT5 again.

Yes but just like GT5 which evolved massively in the years after launch those missing features in GT6 will come in time. Early next year afaik.

benzy

I'm not press so I'm under no embargo ;) However I'm a massive GT5 fan and have played every weeks since it's launch 3 years ago. GT6 is significantly better than 5, the career mode gives you loads to do and so far I've bought only two cars but I have 7 in total from winning with all golds. The physics are amazing and the lighting is much better than GT5 however this has all come at a cost. Physically modelling tyre deformation and suspension as well as updated lighting and rendering techniques have hit the performance quite hard as has been noted by other in this thread.

Have you tried 720p? Any noticeable performance drops?

Shame about framerate dips in 1080p. I wonder if they'll keep optimizing it in patches.

Quexex

Banned
Have you tried 720p? Any noticeable performance drops?

Shame about framerate dips in 1080p. I wonder if they'll keep optimizing it in patches.

Yes they will. I play in 720p at work and don't notice any significant drops but occasional tearing. However I play bumper cam it's worse in in car view apparently.

emiliano

Dunno how it would translate to Euro, but I imagine most retail stores in the UK will have the normal version of GT6 at £40 to £45.

That would be near 48 euro, near impossible in Italy (standard prices here are between 60~70 euro. But thanks for giving me hope :)

Top Bottom