• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

wOLW1EK.gif

Sad about this but understandable, I mean, you cant have your cake and eat it too, tons of low res droplets or fewer higher res. Choose one :(

That is disappointing.

-Amon-

Im guessing its not true but the impact GT5 graphics had when it came out 3 years ago its not the same now that people are playing next gen stuff.

My guess too.

But now i want to go home, fire up GT5 and see with my eyes. Months have passed from the last time and maybe i'm imagining things ... but this morning when i playd GT6 for the first time the impression was clearly that 6 graphics are better than 5.

In your garage. Automatically added.

So you don't have to purchase them with in-game credits, right? I was 99.9% sure this would be how it worked, but with the bullshit Forza is pulling regarding DLC cars, anything was possible.

The 15th Anniversary cars really make the whole microtransaction discussion moot. They're worth in excess of 20 million in-game credits. That's like a $150 microtransaction bonus for preordering with Gamestop.

So you don't have to purchase them with in-game credits, right? I was 99.9% sure this would be how it worked, but with the bullshit Forza is pulling regarding DLC cars, anything was possible.

The 15th Anniversary cars really make the whole microtransaction discussion moot. They're worth in excess of 20 million in-game credits. That's like a $150 microtransaction bonus for preordering with Gamestop.

Yep, automatically added to your garage. Haven't taken one out yet though, still doing the novice stuff with the first Honda you buy. Did put on the anniversary edition racing suit and helmet though.

spwolf

My guess too.

But now i want to go home, fire up GT5 and see with my eyes. Months have passed from the last time and maybe i'm imagining things ... but this morning when i playd GT6 for the first time the impression was clearly that 6 graphics are better than 5.

it looks better to me too, at least based on my memory... for instance standards look good on track next to you, there is no crazy shadow flickering, and textures look better than what i remember.

overall it looks very good for PS3 game and i am running 1080p no noticable drops. I need to limit my TV to 720p though, as it is 720p TV so it doesnt make sense... it is just that no other game that I have actually plays in 1080p so it is not an issue usually.

also menus and whole interface is slick, fast and overall great.

chifanpoe

Really? I thought a sports car would come with at last CS tyres, not economy?... Guess it would explain it but seriously? I find it so hard to beleive it comes standard with eco tyres or something similar. There are a few around here, I'll have to take a look at what they are running.

The US Spec car ships with the same tires that come on the Prius...

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
My guess too.

Clearly you are wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmod-WrQ9LA

Terrible morning. Waking up hyped as hell only to be hit with a sack of bricks on the reality.
The GT6 review thread is startling.
I'm sure this game will have a ton of patches & updates like GT5 did over the years & like GT5, it will take hours & upon hours downloading & installed all of them.

The US Spec car ships with the same tires that come on the Prius...

The rear tires are the Prius ones. The front are different. Allows for a looser tail end for fun. Or so they say. Top Gear seemed to enjoy it. That was always the way I would do quick understeer dial out in GT games, put one grade harder tires on the rear.

chifanpoe

Clearly you are wrong

Terrible morning. Waking up hyped as hell only to be hit with a sack of bricks on the reality.
I'm sure this game will have a ton of patches & updates like GT5 did over the years & like GT5, it will take hours & upon hours downloading & installed all of them.

Fist patch took about 9 Mins to download and install here. 100MB Charter Cable - SSD Drive in PS3.

It's incredibly distressing that an 80 metacritic is considered startling and actively prevents ones desire from playing a game these days. Pointless numbers will be the death of us all.

bumpkin

Have they said anything new about the companion App that'll let you generate custom courses from GPS data you collect during a real drive? That's pretty much the feature that I'd really consider buying GT6 for.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Seriously, in a few minutes of waking up & before going out the door to get my preorder, I decide to go online & see the day 1 hype for this game & instead I get all this:
iBJ8WoVdZJjrs.gif

ibbnJXABNzDpBg.gif

iYMDI1L3VQGsv.gif

iuGusUCNWuJgb.gif

wOLW1EK.gif

Clearly you are wrong

Before you dismiss the game, check out GiantBomb quicklook http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-gran-turismo-6/2300-8269/

In my opinion it looks way better than GT5, progression and navigation are really streamlined to the point where it just invites you to play.

Too bad there is not a demo so you could actually judge it running on your hardware.

Seriously, in a few minutes of waking up & before going out the door to get my preorder, I decide to go online & see the day 1 hype for this game & instead I get all this:
iBJ8WoVdZJjrs.gif

ibbnJXABNzDpBg.gif

iYMDI1L3VQGsv.gif

iuGusUCNWuJgb.gif

wOLW1EK.gif

You can make any game look bad if you make GIFs of their worse parts, why do you think the Rain effect is worse in GT6??? because the rest of the game looks better, look at the cabin lightning, the atmospheric effects in the horizon.

chifanpoe

The rear tires are the Prius ones. The front are different. Allows for a looser tail end for fun. Or so they say. Top Gear seemed to enjoy it. That was always the way I would do quick understeer dial out in GT games, put one grade harder tires on the rear.

Top Gear may have liked them but having driven an FRS 12 times in two Autocross events this summer I think they are crap.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Fist patch took about 9 Mins to download and install here. 100MB Charter Cable - SSD Drive in PS3.

Try a fresh install of GT5 with everything deleted.

I think you'll go though 18 patches, each one download & installing, before automatically going to the next.

-Amon-

You are making things up. Things like that can be found and exposed by gifs with every game around. In particular that gif with the pixellated city car is from gt5, before it was patched out.

And even if that thing is in GT6 ( which i do not believe it is ) it represent nothing. That's not the quality of the standard cars, in the worst possible scenario is just one car.

The way you choosed to present your case makes you not believable, i'll go check with my eyes, thanks.

spwolf

Before you dismiss the game, check out GiantBomb quicklook http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-gran-turismo-6/2300-8269/

In my opinion it looks way better than GT5, progression and navigation are really streamlined to the point where it just invites you to play.

Too bad there is not a demo so you could actually judge it running on your hardware.

You can make any game look bad if you make GIFs of their worse parts, why do you think the Rain effect is worse in GT6??? because the rest of the game looks better, look at the cabin lightning, the atmospheric effects in the horizon.

just had dawn racing, freaking amazing looking, sun hitting your eyes and on other side of the track, headlights lighting the way... looks great.

Those gifs seem like glitches in replay mode (adaptive tessellation?) because standards look a lot nicer than before, you dont really notice them being standards on the track.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Too bad there is not a demo so you could actually judge it running on your hardware

I'm guessing the GT Academy demo they released a few months back was the final version of the current retail game, because they didn't seem to improve on anything from it since.
The game has more day/night options for some of the tracks & the game is running at like 3 or 6% higher resolution. They fixed the pixelization around clouds of smoke & rain. All great stuff.

Outside of that, no only there seems to be no upgrades in visuals, there seems to be a whole slew of downgrades. Stuff that was fixed or was not broken in the first place in GT5, is now a problem in GT6.

What the hell happened to the adaptive tessellation? I thought that would be a huge thing & cars would get a noticeable improvement from that, but the GT5 comparison video shows them looking exact same.

Also, did they really take out all the damage modeling out of the retail version?
I'm going have to download the day 1 patch to get the damage back in?

Yep, automatically added to your garage. Haven't taken one out yet though, still doing the novice stuff with the first Honda you buy. Did put on the anniversary edition racing suit and helmet though.

You should try the Ford Focus ST Anniversary edition. I started with the Honda Fit though, which sucked at first, but after a couple of upgrades wasn't that bad. The Focus is way better though, especially once you do some performance upgrades.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Also, did they really take out all the damage modeling out of the retail version?
I'm going have to download the day 1 patch to get the damage back in?

They had pictures of damage when it first leaked before the patch was available, so I would assume no.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
You are making things up. Things like that can be found and exposed by gifs with every game around. In particular that gif with the pixellated city car is from gt5, before it was patched out.

And even if that thing is in GT6 ( which i do not believe it is ) it represent nothing. That's not the quality of the standard cars, in the worst possible scenario is just one car.

The way you choosed to present your case makes you not believable, i'll go check with my eyes, thanks.

That gif is from the review thread, it's from a eurogamer video they called the 'best & the worst of GT6'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oI3xpufYi0#t=99

Maybe I did the wrong thing & started playing GT5 daily this entire week leading up to this day. The minute improvements & astonishing downgrades to things that were already fixed in GT5 over patches seem like a big deal to me.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't know about you guys, but I really miss those golden days of getting a new GT game, and then spending some time reading through the thick booklets they came with. I just opened up my anniversary edition, and all that was inside were the disk and the DLC slip :(

Also they made a huge fuck up by forcing people to play alot of races before being able to unlock online play. There are going to be far fewer people to play online against by forcing people to complete a bunch of races before being able to go online. Really a bad decision.

spwolf

That gif is from the review thread, it's from a eurogamer video they called the 'best & the worst of GT6'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oI3xpufYi0#t=99

Maybe I did the wrong thing & started playing GT5 daily this entire week leading up to this day. The minute improvements & astonishing downgrades to things that were already fixed in GT5 over patches seem like a big deal to me.

you need to play GT6... and not look at murky youtube videos, i dont get why it looks like that in that youtube video above.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Also they made a huge fuck up by forcing people to play alot of races before being able to unlock online play. There are going to be far fewer people to play online against by forcing people to complete a bunch of races before being able to go online. Really a bad decision.

At what point do you have to progress to unlock online? Do you have to complete the the entire Beginners championship in A-Spec or something?

I still think I will pick this game up. I want the preorder bonuses I'll get with it, but I think I'll hold off until later tonight when more more people & their impressions of the game are posted.

spwolf

At what point do you have to progress to unlock online? Do you have to complete the the entire Beginners championship in A-Spec or something?

I still think I will pick this game up. I want the preorder bonuses I'll get with it, but I think I'll hold off until later tonight when more more people & their impressions of the game are posted.

2hrs of playing, something like that...

I think it was like 3 races.. Didn't bother me in the slightest

I think you guys are confused with online events. Those are locked behind the a licence. Regular multiplayer is just locked behind a couple races that amounts to a tutorial as far as I can tell.

otapnam

did u play GT5? you only get so many free cars to play online, its built around you taking your career cars into the online space to race your friends or compete against strangers.

I have a Performance Pack code to give away! Here are the cars in it:

BMW Z8 15th Anniversary Edition
KTM X-BOW R 15th Anniversary Edition
Audi R18 TDI 15th Anniversary Edition
Lexus IS F Racing Concept 15th Anniversary Edition
Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) 15th Anniversary Edition

Quote this post to see the code! Please post to say if you got it.

EDIT: Code is gone.

Well said.

On a separate note, the raindrops don't look bad at all to me. What is with the disparaging attitude towards them?

JLeack

Banned
It's incredibly distressing that an 80 metacritic is considered startling and actively prevents ones desire from playing a game these days. Pointless numbers will be the death of us all.

Many of us are disappointed by the game. That's unfathomable for me given Gram Turismo's legacy.

frogg609

Since you can do custom music in the game, how does setting that up work? Can I just have a Gran Turismo folder of songs and select it to play from that?

I think it was like 3 races.. Didn't bother me in the slightest

I think you guys are confused with online events. Those are locked behind the a licence. Regular multiplayer is just locked behind a couple races that amounts to a tutorial as far as I can tell.

You need to earn your a license to get to it and that takes awhile. I'm looking at the menus now and that's the only way to get to it.

did u play GT5? you only get so many free cars to play online, its built around you taking your career cars into the online space to race your friends or compete against strangers.

I never played GT5.

h3ro

I have a Performance Pack code to give away! Here are the cars in it:

BMW Z8 15th Anniversary Edition
KTM X-BOW R 15th Anniversary Edition
Audi R18 TDI 15th Anniversary Edition
Lexus IS F Racing Concept 15th Anniversary Edition
Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) 15th Anniversary Edition

Quote this post to see the code! Please post to say if you got it.

Looks like it got taken by a lurker. Poor form by the person who redeemed it and didn't post here.

Thanks for sharing!

TheRook

Im in the middle of playing GT6 now and I can honestly say the cockpit cam needs to be patched sooner rather than later....It's not so bad after a few races to get used to it...but if you switch to bumper cam...you may not want to switch back sadly.

However i'm pretty impressed with the other small details.

Top Bottom