• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million copies

For a longtime we had no idea about Gran Turismo 6 sales, since PD didn't update their website during a long period. It came back some months ago, and now they even updated the numbers for June 30th 2016.

During the April - June quarter, the game has finally surpassed 5 million copies sold with 5,010,000 units. It was at 4,960,000 units as March 31th 2016. To be more precise, the game moved 20,000 more copies in the US and 30,000 more copies in the Europe (no change for Japan and Asia).

GT5 didn't move during the quarter and remains just below 12 million copies sold with 11,950,000 (plus 5,350,000 units for GT5 Prologue).

What are your hopes for GT Sport ? When do you think the series will be able to reach 80 million ?

yZVTVIv.png

GT6 was an afterthought before it even came out. It didn't feel like GT5 was out for long before they announced GT6, especially considering how long GT5 took to actually come out.

ukas

GT6 was an afterthought before it even came out. It didn't feel like GT5 was out for long before they announced GT6, especially considering how long GT5 took to actually come out.

It didn't help that 6 also came out shortly after the PS4 launch. Personally, they should have gone straight to working on PS4 GT after they were finished with 5.

Guess Who

Banned
When you consider how soon after GT5 it released, not to mention launching on PS3 instead of PS4, it's not bad. Certainly shows there's plenty of interest in the franchise.

Blobbers

I'm predicting 7-8 million for GTSport based on nothing. I have no idea how big the thirst is for a new GT game not specifically called Gran Turismo 7.

EDIT: I regret my post immediately. something doesn't feel right. bumping to 10 mil just to be sure

Renekton

It didn't help that 6 also came out shortly after the PS4 launch. Personally, they should have gone straight to working on PS4 GT after they were finished with 5.
They felt they didn't max out the PS3 with GT5 and wanted to give another go. Gotta respect that choice.

GT6 was put out to die, little to no talk about it after the release because they decided to release it around the same time the PS4 came out.
Though it selling 5+ million can tell the series still has insane selling power despite the setback.

I'm hoping Sport has actual working multiplayer. 6's netcode is atrocious. Also, I want the tracks from 2-4 back (Red Rock, Grindelwald, Seattle, Tahiti, those weird road rallies from GT4, etc.).

GT6 was put out to die, little to no talk about it after the release because they decided to release it around the same time the PS4 came out.
Though it selling 5+ million can tell the series still has insane selling power despite the setback.
Foolish decision. Should've waited and put it on ps4 also or kept it in the oven longer

Angel_DvA

Not surprised by those numbers, it was the strongest Sony IP but GT fall in quality and the development time are just horrendous now...

I don't have great expectations for GT Sport in quality or sale wise too, Forza Motorsport/horizon are the best racing games you can have now and they have PC versions, I hope PD will wake the fuck up for next real GT.

TheMan

i still find it confusing that they bothered to release this so late in the ps3's life rather than focus on a new iteration on the ps4.

Not surprised by those numbers, it was the strongest Sony IP but GT fall in quality and the development time are just horrendous now...

I don't have great expectations for GT Sport in quality or sale wise too, Forza Motorsport/horizon are the best racing games you can have now and they have PC versions, I hope PD will wake the fuck up for next real GT.

Kinda early to say this don't you think?

I guess only time will tell.

I actually know people that didn't buy GT6, because they were waiting on a PS4 version. I think Sony would have cleaned up, from both brand jumpers to next gen version hold-outs, if a HD remaster was announced a while ago.

aadiboy

I don't know why people always spout doom and gloom for the GT series when it's literally Sony's highest selling first party franchise. Yes, GT Sport will be great, and yes it will sell several million copies, and yes it will get good ratings. Stop saying it will fail when literally no GT game has.

entremet

Huge drop and they probably sold a good amount heavily discounted. It was wasted dev time that could've been used on ps4 projects.

Quality? I guess we will see. I'm not totally sold.
Sales wise? It's going to clean up. I can't see it selling worse than GT6.

I don't know why people always spout doom and gloom for the GT series when it's literally Sony's highest selling first party franchise. Yes, GT Sport will be great, and yes it will sell several million copies, and yes it will get good ratings. Stop saying it will fail when literally no GT game has.

its mostly console war nonsense. GT is still sonys best selling first party franchise and it will probably continue with GT Sports if it comes out good

Son Of D

I actually know people that didn't buy GT6, because they were waiting on a PS4 version. I think Sony would have cleaned up, from both brand jumpers to next gen version hold-outs, if a HD remaster was announced a while ago.

Likewise. If GT6 was announced as cross-gen (with the PS4 version as the focus of the marketing) then I think it would add to the stronger launch of the PS4. GT6 launching a week after the PS4 launch in Europe would have been huge.

Renekton

Likewise. If GT6 was announced as cross-gen (with the PS4 version as the focus of the marketing) then I think it would add to the stronger launch of the PS4. GT6 launching a week after the PS4 launch in Europe would have been huge.
I think PS3 getting dedicated 1st/2nd party software so late in cycle increases owner confidence in the platform.

Donovan1209

Neo Member
I tried GT5, but the racing sim genre just isn't for me.

GT6 suffered from being at the wrong place at the wrong time. A PS4 release would have probably boosted its sales.

GT6 got its legs cut off by being released at the tail end of the PS3 generation. I really don't know why Sony didn't make PS4 version too. Would likely of been a big hit.

entremet

Didn't it sell great regardless?

in europe the PS4 at launch was already having a hard time getting back into stock. if a GT game launched with it it would have probably extended the wait time for more stock by 6 months lol

Rajang

GT6 got its legs cut off by being released at the tail end of the PS3 generation. I really don't know why Sony didn't make PS4 version too. Would likely of been a big hit.

Yeah, its crazy Sony didn't release it on PS4 as well. I don't even remember any marketing for GT6 at all (at least not here in the Netherlands). Around that time it was all about the PS4 with its insane hype, no one talked about PS3 or PS3 games. Sony sent out the game to die and it still sold 5 million copies.

Gran Turismo PSP sold 4.6 million?!?!

This was 2009 so the wait for the next GT game which was 5 was still a year away. Plus with the brand and the need for games late in the PSP's life those could be the reasons why it sold that much. i didn't like it much since it never had a traditional career mode.

farisr

It's going to be really interesting how GT Sport performs. On the one hand, I expect a bad reaction from normal fans of the franchise due to the career mode basically being non-existant and the big online focus. On the other hand, it is going to be the first GT on PS4, many people skipped GT6 because of the GT6 on PS4 rumors, and they may be hungry for GT in any form, plus it may get a sale from the majority of people who get a PSVR headset as well, even if they traditionally wouldn't be interested in a GT game.

Vex_

Banned
They'd do well to bring out GT6 remastered. It would probably sell more than GT6 OG.

They'd do better to release the next numbered title. The fans who are buying these titles everytime don't want up rez'd ports. They want newer models and tracks.

Zafir

I actually find that number impressive considering it came out at the end of the PS3's life time, there was very little hype around it.

sublimit

Banned
As a long time fan (bought the first game on day one) GT6 was the only one i skipped because it didn't felt like a true succesor to GT5 (which i enjoyed regardless of its problems).I'm also very skeptical about GT Sport...what i've seen so far doesn't look very impressive IMO.To me it feels as if PD have almost lost their ambition lately.Saleswise i expect it to sell around 2 million so they will probably hit the 80 million mark with GT7.

I still love the series though and i will definitely buy GT7 whenever it comes out but i think it's time for PD to step up their game and make GT the technical showcase for Sony's consoles.

Unknown?

I remember all the doom and gloom on GT5 when it only sold 700k in NPD but now it's nearly 3.5 million just in the US! People thought that GT always sold millions right off the bat but they've always had legs.

Top Bottom