• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 leaked by PlayStation Brazil, could be a PS4 game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Screenshot_1-ad15.jpg

For the second time this week, someone has leaked the existence of Gran Turismo 7 and this time Sony themselves is to blame.

In one of the weirdest ways possible, PlayStation Brazil has just confirmed that Gran Turismo 7 is real, just a few hours after the logo of the game was leaked by a peripheral maker.

We assume it’s not going to stay up for long but to make matters worse the tweet was incredibly banal and merely asked the question, in Portuguese, ‘Which of these games do you prefer to play on the living room sofa with someone?’

The choices were FIFA 20, Just Dance 2020 (how do you play that while sitting on the sofa?!), Knack 2, and… Gran Turismo 7.

Not only has Gran Turismo 7 never been announced by Sony but all the other games are PlayStation 4 titles, whereas it’s increasingly looking like Gran Turismo 7 must be a PlayStation 5 launch title.

It is possible it’s a PlayStation 4 game though, as Gran Turismo 6 was a PlayStation 3 exclusive – despite coming out a few weeks after the launch of the PlayStation 4.

There was no backwards compatibility back then but perhaps Sony is planning to use Gran Turismo 7 to demonstrate how much a PlayStation 4 game can be improved by playing it on the PlayStation 5.

Or maybe that’s giving too much credit to PlayStation Brazil and this is all just an enormous mistake.

FrozenFlame

The question was which game do you prefer to play with someone, presenting a list of 3 games that are already out and GT7. Yeap, totally a leak.

GHG

Gold Member
Wouldn't this contradict Sony's previous stance on having their 1st party studios work exclusively on PS5?

Yeh it would be strange but considering the bone headed decision to release GT6 on the PS3 just before the PS4 launch I wouldn't be shocked.

I expect sport mode from GT Sport to have crossgen multiplayer support but everything else to be exclusive to GT7 and the PS5. That would be a shame in itself because I think the game needs some physics overhaul in a lot of aspects. Haven't touched it since hopping on to Assetto Corsa Competizione.

mortal

Gold Member
They said that there will games that are for PS5 only, they never said there would not be any new PS4 or cross-gen games at all.
I mean obviously there are going to games that are PS5 only. I could've sworn they've said that after all of their 1st Party PS4 games ship, all of their studios would be working exclusively on PS5, ie no cross-gen releases.

Would be insane to pull another GT6 even though the ps3 had an 80mil playerbase it still sold half of what you'd expect a gt to sell maybe 5.5mill sold for GT6 so I'd expect it to be cross gen at the very least and I don't know how I feel about that to be honest as I'll be buying a ps5 day one (if I can ) and would like a fresh gen racer .

xrnzaaas

I hope it's an error, if it's true at least make a much better looking PS5 version and don't make the same mistake as with GT6.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I hope if that's the case, that it will be cross-gen. At the very least, it would be playable on the PS5 by virtue of backwards compatibility anyway.
The main reason GT6 was a mistake was that it wasn't even playable on the PS4.
Yeah, that's a good point, I'm still pissed I couldn't play GT6 since I didn't own a PS3.

Fuck, I hope not. Sony already made this mistake putting GT6 on PS3 right as PS4 came out. GT6 was the worst-performing GT in the series as a result (IIRC).

If it's a cross-gen game between PS4 and PS5 then that could work, but PS4 only? It's like they want it to be overshadowed and forgotten by PS5, I wouldn't understand the logic there. And FWIW GT6 still deserved a PS4 port, never understood why it didn't get one.

I hope if that's the case, that it will be cross-gen. At the very least, it would be playable on the PS5 by virtue of backwards compatibility anyway.
The main reason GT6 was a mistake was that it wasn't even playable on the PS4.

Yep. I'm still surprised they never considered GT6 for PS4 as a port. Maybe they thought Driveclub would be enough, but that game launched with problems and was not a racing sim to begin with.

Or maybe they were just waiting on GT Sport, but that is markedly different from the traditional GT experience.

Sounds aligned with the idea that they are hoping to reach 240fps on, which I still find hard to believe (but maybe with impeccable optimizations it could happen for a current gen game on next gen hardware).

True, can't expect a next-gen GT game at 240 fps while having super photorealistic graphics and fidelity. But still, if it's PS4 and not even a PS5 crossgen edition in mind, they are gonna probably hurt its prospects like they did GT6.

It's obviously this.

How?

Also, IMO GT Sport is not really equivalent to a classic GT experience. GT has always been like world car JRPG with some simulation racing. Racing is vital to the games but so is collecting a ton of cars of various types and showing efficiency in various driving techniques.

It's always been like a Pokemon of car games to me and GT Sport seems a lot different from that.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

How?

Also, IMO GT Sport is not really equivalent to a classic GT experience. GT has always been like world car JRPG with some simulation racing. Racing is vital to the games but so is collecting a ton of cars of various types and showing efficiency in various driving techniques.

It's always been like a Pokemon of car games to me and GT Sport seems a lot different from that.
I just implied that they're referring to GTS as GT7, not that doing so made any sense.

not a fucking chance this ends up on ps4 this late with no prior word from sony unless there is a ps5 version to go along with it

GT6 released one month after PS4 started this gen. And they didn't even make it a cross gen title. They released a new game on a 7 year old console at that time.

GT7 to be cross gen and release at the end of PS4 era is absolutely very likely.

Last edited:

Senua

I think it's more likely a GT sport PS5 version, then have a proper GT7 PS5 exclusive in a couple years time.

yurinka

I think that in this tweet they meant Gran Turismo Sport when they said Gran Turismo 7, because for most people GT Sport is GT7.

Last edited:
if there asking which system its going to be on and they mentioned ps4 im pretty sure its going to either be a cross-gen game or a ps4 only game like GT6 this wouldnt be the 1st game Guilty gear XRD,Blazblue CF and Persona 5 were cross-gen with ps3 same thing with FF14,MGS5,FFX remaster,DOA5 ULT.

Imtjnotu

GT6 released one month after PS4 started this gen. And they didn't even make it a cross gen title. They released a new game on a 7 year old console at that time.

GT7 to be cross gen and release at the end of PS4 era is absolutely very likely.
ps3 to ps4 was at the time impossible to do with out re creating the whole game. if it is a ps4 game it would have been announced already as such but as of today we dont have a gt7 ps4 or 5 announcement

I mean obviously there are going to games that are PS5 only. I could've sworn they've said that after all of their 1st Party PS4 games ship, all of their studios would be working exclusively on PS5, ie no cross-gen releases.
no they never said that YS9,Guilty gear strive, Yakuza 7, Grand blue re link and many more games are still coming to ps4 with no plans to jump to ps5 anytime soon even Square enix said that last month with dont expect a next gen game anytime soon.

I think that's more likely. In my opinion, and I've said this for a long time, GT:S is being pushed as a service and any iteration of that service from this point onward will simply be an extension of it, not a completely different game.
Very much this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they rebranded it as GT7 to coincide with a relaunch on PS5 though.

Same base game, and everything carries forward, but with a load of new exclusive content on the next gen version.

mortal

Gold Member
no they never said that YS9,Guilty gear strive, Yakuza 7, Grand blue re link and many more games are still coming to ps4 with no plans to jump to ps5 anytime soon even Square enix said that last month with dont expect a next gen game anytime soon.
I'm talking about their comments on 1st party specifically. 3rd party cross-gen releases are a given.

People shouldn't be expecting a timely release form Square Enix to begin with, if their track record is anything to go by.

Dontero

Banned

I really do wonder why people think PD can actually make GT7 on PS4.
GT6 was just basically update to GT5 with barely any new content and yet they still needed years to release GTS in state that was complete joke for fans.

GT7 is years away, if at all they will do it. They clearly reached production bottleneck and can't scale up properly as proven by GTS.

Imho they will just port GTS and update GTS for next few years. They will probably release GTS2 maybe at the end of PS5 life if not for PS6

scydrex

This is exactly what they did with GT6 on ps3 and it flopped. Hopefully they don’t make that same mistake. At worst it’ll be cross gen

Yeah don't know why they released GT6 for PS3 and not make it a PS4 PS4 exclusives. That would have been better... 1080p 60fps locked, etc... i played GT5 almost every day at launch until GT6 came out. I play GT6 for 1 month and never again.

leo-j

GT 7 cross platform like GTA V. Makes beautiful sense and would develop great legs and sell 10 million plus. Sony needs to reboot and get GT back to what it uses to be.

GT 7 1800P 60FPS on PS4 PRO.
GT7 2160P 120 FPS on PS5.

leo-j

Yeah don't know why they released GT6 for PS3 and not make it a PS4 PS4 exclusives. That would have been better... 1080p 60fps locked, etc... i played GT5 almost every day at launch until GT6 came out. I play GT6 for 1 month and never again.

GT6 was probably built ground up for ps3 with cell. Way different architecture. This would have been costly and hard to port. That and they were pushing the new ip Driveclub at the time.

scydrex

GT6 was probably built ground up for ps3 with cell. Way different architecture. This would have been costly and hard to port. That and they were pushing the new ip Driveclub at the time.

Well then they should have made GT6 built ground up for PS4... they took to much time making GT5.

I'm talking about their comments on 1st party specifically. 3rd party cross-gen releases are a given.

People shouldn't be expecting a timely release form Square Enix to begin with, if their track record is anything to go by.
same thing the JP branches in early january were saying they had no intention on jumping to next gen early. Toshihiro Nagoshi said the same thing in a article last year that even though next gen is nice there still going to keep making games for current gen systems.
- I think thats still a pretty shocking statement Square is like half the reason to get a playstation to being with.

Last edited:
I really do wonder why people think PD can actually make GT7 on PS4.
GT6 was just basically update to GT5 with barely any new content and yet they still needed years to release GTS in state that was complete joke for fans.

GT7 is years away, if at all they will do it. They clearly reached production bottleneck and can't scale up properly as proven by GTS.

Imho they will just port GTS and update GTS for next few years. They will probably release GTS2 maybe at the end of PS5 life if not for PS6
really do wonder why people think PD can actually make GT7 on PS4.
Because the game is pretty barebones as it is the only thing taxing in GTS over GT6 is graphics everything else is missing. All of that stuff that previous GT games had is 100% possible on GTS

mortal

Gold Member
- I think thats still a pretty shocking statement Square is like half the reason to get a playstation to being with.
Not really Square Enix takes like 80 years to develop games lol. Maybe's it best they not announce anything yet, but even then I wouldn't put it past them.
Their Luminous Production team are already working on new a IP for next-gen consoles, I can see them dropping a teaser at either Sony or Microsoft's showcase, even with no concrete release date for years.
same thing the JP branches in early january were saying they had no intention on jumping to next gen early. Toshihiro Nagoshi said the same thing in a article last year that even though next gen is nice there still going to keep making games for current gen systems.
Sure, although the difference is that 3rd party devs generally won't have the same access to PS5 devkits as much as PlayStation Studios teams do.
So their decisions to go cross-gen rather than a full commitment is understandable. Some just feel more secure with PS4's install base than that of a console launch.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is exactly what they did with GT6 on ps3 and it flopped. Hopefully they don’t make that same mistake. At worst it’ll be cross gen

With BC this won’t be an issue like last time. And probably an upgrade patch... BUT...

I think they are just classify Sport as 7 like mentioned earlier in the thread.

Not really Square Enix takes like 80 years to develop games lol. Maybe's it best they not announce anything yet, but even then I wouldn't put it past them.
Their Luminous Production team are already working on new a IP for next-gen consoles, I can see them dropping a teaser at either Sony or Microsoft's showcase, even with no concrete release date for years.

Sure, although the difference is that 3rd party devs generally won't have the same access to PS5 devkits as much as PlayStation Studios teams do.
So their decisions to go cross-gen rather than a full commitment is understandable. Some just feel more secure with PS4's install base than that of a console launch.
I doubt it Square is getting slightly better at not announcing games to early if they do announce anything it will be at there event unless nintendo gives them a phone call like what they are doing for bravely default 2. Square was half the reason why the ps1 and ps2 were as big as they were as a console.
that and dev cost for ps4 will be cheaper then it will be on ps5 the current consoles we have now are better equipped then what we had last gen. We could have cross-gen games for 2/3 years depending on how well devs optimize there games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom