• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo fans - what would it take for GT7 to, finally, be the ultimate GT game?

Tschumi

Gran Turismo. Legendary, long lived racing sim. Known for detailed cars and customisation, myriad tracks and driving physics that can be whatever you want them to be

Arguably not yet perfected.

GT 3 seems to be the best iteration so far, judging by what I've read and played. GT4 was expanded and so lacked the novelty, it also loaded very slowly. GT5 was an extremely expensive attempt which dealt in wacky gameplay and carryover cars. GT6 was released for PS3 a week after PS4 came out, and still used some old car models. GT Sport was online only and was much reduced in scope. Rolling starts and a lack of terminal crash consequences are two long standing, possible controversies?

What's your laundry list for a perfect GT7?

Bring back fantasy tracks. Thats when developers can really flex with design and even go over the top in beaty or lush environments. GTS has iconic real life tracks, they are good but it also starts feeling like a drab after some time because they are similar due to it being all race tracks and not city scapes. Thats why I loved Project Gotham Racing and Driveclub. I think their singleplayer needs an overhaul. The one they added in GTS, after all the screaming to have it back made me realise how boring it is. They need a better progression system than just...heres a Tourist Cup with 5 races and win all 5 for gold medal. I do love the idea of having to pass driving test in order to race in higher classes.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Old career styled mode but more fleshed out. Keep Sport mode but refine it even more. Full VR capatability. Also a track creator like GT6 but more locations.

Phase

Full GT story mode like the good old days more cars bring back track creator more hardcore sim settings.
Be Gran Turismo 3 basically.

Also give me all the Skylines, Soarers, Silvias, Chasers, Celsiors, Aristos, and other good JDM stuff.
Old career styled mode but more fleshed out. Keep Sport mode but refine it even more. Full VR capatability. Also a track creator like GT6 but more locations.
GT Sport with GT2’s career mode basically
That about does it. Get to work PD!

BrentonB

GT desperately needs a realistic damage model. Polyphony say that manufacturers won't allow it, but that hasn't stopped other developers from including it. Not sure what the real hold up is.

Yoboman

GT desperately needs a realistic damage model. Polyphony say that manufacturers won't allow it, but that hasn't stopped other developers from including it. Not sure what the real hold up is.
They have a damage model, its very basic and will always be basic

Even Forza's damage model is more basic than it used to be

These games deal with far more cars and far more consumer cars than other competitors

TLZ

Banned
I forgot which one it was, either GT or GT2, had so many normal cars you'd see on the street. I'd buy one used, tune it up to the max then onto the next used car. I had fun doing that again and again. Felt lifelike and filled that fantasy I have. Felt realistic in that sense. Then they took all that away and all we have is fancy cars I couldn't care less about.

Please bring this back.

Tschumi

They have a damage model, its very basic and will always be basic

Even Forza's damage model is more basic than it used to be

These games deal with far more cars and far more consumer cars than other competitors
But what if they penalize speed? At least?

I just think it would instantly solve online play battering ram cars if they lost 5mph off their top speed every time they caused deliberate contact? Maybe something more nuanced than that, but yeah~ these guys are doing it to win a few extra points, right? So make the car they hit into suddenly travel faster than them, pulling away into the distance.. beautiful~

I not a racing fan but when I was younger I played the hell out of GT3. If they can capture the magic of that game in modern times then the sky is the limit.

ZywyPL

Banned
Basically remake GT2/GT4 to have a solid foundation, and then add more cars, tracks, modes on top of that, and of course fix the AI, collision, sounds and all the others aspect that are still stuck in the past while they shouldn't.

Blood Borne

Out of curiosity, which other game does “realistic damage model”?

FranXico

Basically remake GT2/GT4 to have a solid foundation, and then add more cars, tracks, modes on top of that, and of course fix the AI, collision, sounds and all the others aspect that are still stuck in the past while they shouldn't.
So, GT7 without the online for unlocks BS.

Kokoloko85

Full campaign / story mode etc.

Id love some Forza Horizon open world, free roam stuff

Classic tracks And songs
More damage effects
Weather like Driveclub but even better

protonion

The core gameplay is perfect.

All they have to do is:

-Bring back the epic CARPG campaign mode. Sport's was lame (mobile style level up for cars? really?) . GT5-6 were okish but nowhere near the old games, plus gt5's menu loading ruined the experience. What I've seen so far for GT7 looks amazing. I mean they brought the map back! I hated the menu based GT modes in 5-6.
I am optimistic.

-Include the cars we drive for fucks sake! Just get the top 100 in sales of city cars and put them in. This was Yamauchi's original vision. For us to drive our cars in a video game.

Those teen summers when I 100% ps1-2 gran turismos are some of my fondest memories...

the_master

I don't care about damage or realistic simulation.

I care about licenses & used cars you keep upgrading, keep winning, keep upgrading, enter harder races, upgrade further. Get newer licenses. Buy a great car, win more, upgrade more...

So:
Short challenges
long progression of each single car you buy. As oposed to buying a car for each race that you don't get attached to

Top Bottom