• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo fans - what would it take for GT7 to, finally, be the ultimate GT game?

John2290

The same shit we always ask for in damage, better sound of the cars (even better than GTS), dynamic weather, dynamic day night and so on except this time, and I hope they get it right, full VR support along with a single player campaign similar to the old days albeit not as grind heavy and a fully open arcade section of the game to go along side it similar to ProjectCARS which doesn't rely on campaign unlocks. Plenty more new, orignally designed tracks wouldn't hurt also to go along with the returning most popular and steering away from going full on real world track heavy like generic licensed racing games. Throw out the dirt tracks and rally cars and divert the rescourses elsewhere.

And as someone mentioned above, a more down to earth car listing with a focus on tuning and customization. No need to put in cars from the 20's or 30's like in GT4 or GT5 and no focusing on race cars like GTsport and every other generic racer.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Give us more of what you gave us in 2001 is such a terrible strategy for a game releasing in 2021.

Gran Turismo 7 needs to find new frontiers to thrive today. What worked back then won't work now.

LostDonkey

Full car customisation and community Mod support, I.e cars and tracks.

That second one will never ever happen so it can't compete with stuff like assetto Corsa for me.

sublimit

Banned
From what we have seen so far from GT7 it seems that many aspects that fans want to return are finally coming back like Classic Tracks,Used Market,and emphasis on Career Mode.

Hopefully the emphasis on Career mode this time around also means that it will have an emphasis on progression with more normal cars that we can start the game by buying used like in the older games and slowly progress.

Give us the ability to upgrade every "normal" car to look like a racing one but not the way GT Sport does it.Make the racing-look upgrade a fixed one like it was in the original GT. I don't like to have to mess with layers,decals,colors etc like in GT Sport. Keep it simple.

Give us the ability to customise which songs we want to play in the menus,races and replays. GT Sport had some good songs but it also had a lot that i hated. Personally i like my races to have no music at all but for the replays i like to be able to have the choice to make a list of songs that each time the game will choose from which ones it will play on replay. GT5 did this perfectly (especially since we could also import our own songs).

Make the replays look more interesting. More dynamic angles and filters like they were in GT3 (or was it GT4,i don't remember).

Bring back Car Wash and make it look even more interesting like being able to drive the car manually ourseves to a car wash shop.

Make a 3D representation of the GT7 town where we can drive the car from our garage to various hot spots on the map. Of course there should also be a choice to jump immediately to the hot spot from the map if we want so.
gran-turismo-7-ps5-screenshots-4k-26-800x450.jpg

Put some more effort in the environments and weather. There were times the environments looked good in GTS but other times they looked really bad depending a lot on the hour of the day. More high quality assets and variety,more color variety (honestly all the trees having the same green color looks very ugly and immersion breaking) and make NPCs and spectators more detailed and have them move naturally.

Emphasis on old,used cars from the 70's,80's and 90's. I see that the Used Cars shop is back so i have high hopes about that.

In general i think Polyphony has really listened to the thoughts and criticisms of veteran fans of the series (especially after GTS) and GT7 could be the best GT ever.:)

Give us more of what you gave us in 2001 is such a terrible strategy for a game releasing in 2021.

Gran Turismo 7 needs to find new frontiers to thrive today. What worked back then won't work now.
I both agree and don't agree with that statement.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope it has a really beefy single player campaign where you take a really old shitty car, tune it up, sell it, buy a better car, tune that up, make your way up to super cars.

Damage & Weather are important too.

Oh and full VR support.

Klik

Better tyre model, better wheel feedback implementation,better penalty system, gr3 races every day. And full VR support, because VR is a gamechanger for racing games

Last edited:

saintjules

Haven't been huge on racers since Ridge Racer Type 4. That for me was probably the best racing experience. I did play GT3.

Maybe a decent, lengthy storyline campaign, good music and circuits. The GT7 Town looks interesting and might serve as a prelude to replay value.

Give me the 2000 Celica and I'm good :messenger_sunglasses:

It's all about the Toyota CELICA 2800GT '81. Hop on over to the used car salesman with just enough money left over to change the oil & upgrade the transmission a tad to make the Sunday Cup a breeze, before moving onto the Clubman Cup without needing to spend any more money. Memories :messenger_smirking:

sncvsrtoip

Better suspension physics, better contact physics with proper damage visualisation, full vr support, lower strength of slipstream, dynamic daytime an weather, more variaty in daily races (add proper daily to existing weekly races) and better graphics (please no more 2d trees). edit: how could I forgot, improve penalty system! ;)

Last edited:

Tschumi

From what we have seen so far from GT7 it seems that many aspects that fans want to return are finally coming back like Classic Tracks,Used Market,and emphasis on Career Mode.

Hopefully the emphasis on Career mode this time around also means that it will have an emphasis on progression with more normal cars that we can start the game by buying used like in the older games and slowly progress.

Give us the ability to upgrade every "normal" car to look like a racing one but not the way GT Sport does it.Make the racing-look upgrade a fixed one like it was in the original GT. I don't like to have to mess with layers,decals,colors etc like in GT Sport. Keep it simple.

Give us the ability to customise which songs we want to play in the menus,races and replays. GT Sport had some good songs but it also had a lot that i hated. Personally i like my races to have no music at all but for the replays i like to be able to have the choice to make a list of songs that each time the game will choose from which ones it will play on replay. GT5 did this perfectly (especially since we could also import our own songs).

Make the replays look more interesting. More dynamic angles and filters like they were in GT3 (or was it GT4,i don't remember).

Bring back Car Wash and make it look even more interesting like being able to drive the car manually ourseves to a car wash shop.

Make a 3D representation of the GT7 town where we can drive the car from our garage to various hot spots on the map. Of course there should also be a choice to jump immediately to the hot spot from the map if we want so.

Put some more effort in the environments and weather. There were times the environments looked good in GTS but other times they looked really bad depending a lot on the hour of the day. More high quality assets and variety,more color variety (honestly all the trees having the same green color looks very ugly and immersion breaking) and make NPCs and spectators more detailed and have them move naturally.

Emphasis on old,used cars from the 70's,80's and 90's. I see that the Used Cars shop is back so i have high hopes about that.

In general i think Polyphony has really listened to the thoughts and criticisms of veteran fans of the series (especially after GTS) and GT7 could be the best GT ever.:)

Thank you for your monolithic comment, totally the kind of content i was hoping to read when i made the thread. Thanks for pointing out that used cars are back.. definitely beef'd up my anticipation with that one~

V4skunk

Banned
Copy and paste GT6 but with GTSport online.
GT6 is the best in the series by far.
Also the people that complain about a few ps2 car models in GT6 are pathetic and are not good at racing games! You shouldn't even be able to see your car if you are playing a racing game/sim properly.

MHubert

Return to the DNA of GT: Bring back a refined version of the old chool career mode where you compete your way to the top. Buy used cars, tuning them up made you really grow an attachment to your vehicles, and you felt a sense of meaningful progress. Abandoning this really damaged the heart of what made GT great.

A proper next-gen racing experience: Make huge mega-scans of some of the great cities of the world (Paris, Tokyo, Rome etc.) and let the player explore, race and create custom tracks within these maps with friends.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
You shouldn't even be able to see your car if you are playing a racing game/sim properly.
Lol i have been playing GT games for 22 years now and i always preferred 3rd person view. For me that's the "proper" way to play the game. I'd also never play with a racing wheel. That would be extremelly nerdy to me and i'd feel embarassed to play like that in front of others. In the end it's just a game (with extremelly good car physics). If i wanted a real driving experience i'd drive my own car instead.

In the end everyone is free to play the game as he wants. Even Yamauchi himself had said back in the GT5 days that his preferred method to play the game was still with the d-pad.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That's like the age old question worthy of further examination. GT is a proven franchise, but I think you gotta stick to the basics.

- Return of classic/fantasy GT tracks from GT1-4 as many as possible (they were AMAZING!)
- Extensive Carrier mode, Mission Challenges, Endurance racing etc.
- Day/night/weather cycle in real-time.
- Car Tuning and racing modifications
- Good AI
- Full game playable in VR
- Better damage

sn0man

• An offline career mode. The PlayStation blog says internet connection required for most features. That is stupid. Just let me turn on my PlayStation, put the disc in, and start playing Gran Turismo
  • No more standard and premium cars. All cars need high quality models and fully rendered interiors
  • A paint shop like in Forza Motorsport where you can create anything and apply a cool race livery on the car
  • Used car dealer. It’s fun to try and find some cool junk heap or vintage car that is kind of cheap or really expensive that changes each time you visit
  • day and night and changing weather during a race. GT6 had day night cycle and it made longer races really fun
  • Host arbitrary online lobbies. It’s really fun to be able to just set your own regulations and create a lobby with specific car restrictions
  • Visible damage. Bent bumpers and crumpled body work is really cool.
  • Different body kits and wheels. Helps to personalize your shitbox by throwing on some ridiculous stuff
  • Toggle the steering wheel on and off in the cockpit. Helps to see the gauges better and looks better if you’re using a wheel
  • Convertible tops that can be set up or down. Convertibles should be able to look good with the top down
  • Photo mode. I don’t really use it but it’s a stable of GT
  • Split screen racing. Self explanatory
  • An arcade mode. GT heritage and a fun way for folks that aren’t into tuning to play premade cars and track combinations
  • I personally would love a tune/paint marketplace where folks can create and sell stuff they’ve made in the game
  • Special events like in past games. An easy brand tie in to do something like the festivals of speed or Senna events like in GT6 (and I think a lot of folks missed out on these)
  • Simulation assist setting. This is something that project cars has. Basically it sets the assists to whatever a real car has. It would be cool to drive a modern GTR with stability and traction control and then jump into an old GTR and basically no ABS, no nothing and manual shifting.

For me, cars should have genders of the entire spectrum, and should be romanceable.

Plus, gacha mechanics
God when are all these political posts going to stop being in my Neogaf forums ruining them

V4skunk

Banned
Lol i have been playing GT games for 22 years now and i always preferred 3rd person view. For me that's the "proper" way to play the game. I'd also never play with a racing wheel. That would be extremelly nerdy to me and i'd feel embarassed to play like that in front of others. In the end it's just a game (with extremelly good car physics). If i wanted a real driving experience i'd drive my own car instead.

In the end everyone is free to play the game as he wants. Even Yamauchi himself had said back in the GT5 days that his preferred method to play the game was still with the d-pad.
You are obviously not competitive online in GT.
And the proper way to play is bumper cam for the improved control and accuracy.

sublimit

Banned
You are obviously not competitive online in GT.
And the proper way to play is bumper cam for the improved control and accuracy.
No i'm not interested in racing online. Like at all. Which was the main reason i didn't bought GTS on day 1 since its career mode was a joke back then (to put it lightly).

But i do realize that for competitive online racing a good racing wheel is a must. However even if i did play online i'd still refuse to play with a wheel. Do i play the game wrong if i still enjoy it so much? Of course not.

sn0man

Basically this but to add not having half the game locked out until you complete the licence tests.
I forgot to add license tests. I know not everyone loves them but the career mode having certain cups or levels of recognition (not levels as in tracks) locked behind a license series is always part of the fun for me.

the cars and tracks and an arcade mode shouldn’t be gsted

Make the racing-look upgrade a fixed one like it was in the original GT. I don't like to have to mess with layers,decals,colors etc like in GT Sport. Keep it simple.

Forza 4 had a pretty good fix for this. When you get a car you can hit a button and browse paints that other people made for the car. I think the best would be to have basic car colors. Then have a couple liveries that are pre-made. The have access to a paint shop. Then, optionally, if you go online be able to purchase another paint job
Make Escudo Pikes Peak the best car in the game like in GT2 so that I can boss every race

This got me in the feels

Copy and paste GT6 but with GTSport online.
GT6 is the best in the series by far.

This reminds me. Fix the sound from GT6. There is a mustang with a V8 in GT6. It sounds like a V8. Then you put on the street exhaust and it sounds like a more aggressive V8. Then you put on a sports exhaust and it sounds like a skyline.

Pantz

Gold Member
Love seeing the love for GT2 already posted.

For me it's all about a good early-mid game career mode progression. I want to buy my first car and actually have a chance to upgrade it for harder races before you dump a free car on me that's already good enough to complete the next series.

sublimit

Banned
Forza 4 had a pretty good fix for this. When you get a car you can hit a button and browse paints that other people made for the car. I think the best would be to have basic car colors. Then have a couple liveries that are pre-made. The have access to a paint shop. Then, optionally, if you go online be able to purchase another paint job
I'd still prefer the GT1 solution personally. Or at least have an official pre-made version by the devs (like in GT1) and also the option to choose from other players creations.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I forgot to add license tests. I know not everyone loves them but the career mode having certain cups or levels of recognition (not levels as in tracks) locked behind a license series is always part of the fun for me.

the cars and tracks and an arcade mode shouldn’t be gsted

This got me in the feels

This reminds me. Fix the sound from GT6. There is a mustang with a V8 in GT6. It sounds like a V8. Then you put on the street exhaust and it sounds like a more aggressive V8. Then you put on a sports exhaust and it sounds like a skyline.
Yeah the GT games are renown for bad engine sound. GTS is a huge step forward though. GT5&6 have good engine sounds but only if running through a sound system with good speakers and subwoofers with the volume cranked up really high...
There is an oldish interview/documentary on YT with the maker of GT and he talks about when they first started recording actual cars in GT5/6. They didn't understand that the recordings still needed to be tuned to sound good.
Edit: In GTS I run my cars with the standard gearbox so you don't get the whine from the custom racebox. That whine can ruin the sound of a car in game.

Last edited:

sn0man

I'd still prefer the GT1 solution personally. Or at least have an official pre-made version by the devs (like in GT1) and also the option to choose from other players creations.
Yes I agree. I want that GT official race version livery. Don’t want to lose it. But an integrated set of creations would be sweet.

sublimit

Banned
Yes I agree. I want that GT official race version livery. Don’t want to lose it. But an integrated set of creations would be sweet.
In GT1 it wasn't just the stickers,decals and colors though. In GT1 the aerodynamics of the cars would also change with spoilers and air dams and it was always interesting to see how a normal car would look like when you transformed it to a racing car.
I would like to see that again in GT7.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Less emphasis on race cars.

GT became popular because people could see their own car in the game and soup it up.

Also because of the used cars and starting from the ground up, the game had the RPG feeling of leveling up, which was great.

tagliner

Neo Member
Quick ones:
Let me drive without the helmet (customizable avatar face).
Let me jump into my friends car on the passenger seat with VR goggles (or without).
Tons of used cars (including rusted ones).
Return of the legacy tracks with dynamic weather / time.
The music and feel of the older GTs.
Full tire simulation.

sublimit

Banned
Also because of the used cars and starting from the ground up, the game had the RPG feeling of leveling up, which was great.
Exactly. When i first played GT 22 years ago i didn't realized that the RPG aspect was one of the things that appealed to me (along with the incredible car physics and graphics for its time) but after some time it became clear to me that it was one of the things i enjoyed (and missed in the later entries).

lem0n

Fresh tracks, new and fantasy. GT Sport physics and graphics(or better). GT2/4 car list. Car customization. Career mode and license tests that are challenging and unforgiving. 24hr of Nurburgring. All of this, and I’d be in heaven.

Top Bottom