• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Serie(s) is in Decline this Generation. Can it Make a Resurgence?

It was a topic exposed in the other thread about racing games and after I start to do research I found some interesting points about the series that focus more on the loud userbase than actual install base (the opposite of the Forza series that focus enjoying the game and found a big success with the Xbox userbase).

Sony released 1 games in the series this generation so let's start wit that one first since there was really only 1 with the data available about their debut:

https://www.gtplanet.net/october-20...s-gt-sport-racing-games-continue-strong-year/

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-has-sold-around-3-3-million-copies-worldwide/

Gran Turismo Sport Debut
Sony claimed GTS to be the fastest-selling racing game in Playstation history.
The game was launched on the 17th of October and by Sony’s stats in March 2018 the game was sold to almost four percent of the Playstation owners.
Playstation sold 75 million of Playstation 4 consoles as of December 31.
What that means?
At least only four percent of Playstation 4 owners bought this game in nearly 5 months.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/436242/gran-turismo-sport-tops-7-million-players/

Gran Turismo Sport in 2019

It shows that even after 2 years GTS did not manage to catch on with Playstation 4 install base in well EVERYWHERE...

Some will say but these are only US data.
Well it is but alot of Sony sales come from US and UK... so the changes to the rest of the world change the situation is pretty much near some number I could pull from my ass.
We have some Japan data but I choose to ignore them because it is level that can't change anything.

What is the reason for the Decline?

I take some time to think about what happened with the series and I reached two imo (I've played more than 2 hours of the GTS demo by the way, about 200 hours) reasons to what is happening with Gran Turismo series:

• Inferiority. The series was being beaten by Forza Motorsports every two years this gen since last gen and it is a small period between them making the sting all the more potent to GTS customers.
  • Forza Horizon series rise. It is INDISCUTILE that Forza Horizon become one of the best selling games from Microsoft and reached a size and success that Sony never saw with Gran Turismo and that probably helped to make gamers buy less and less Gran Turismo.

Are there more reason? I don't know.

Conclusion
I opened the thread to discuss why that decline for the Gran Turismo series happened and what do you GAFers things about it. Obviously the recent poll in a forum that has more Sony supporters, a console with a larger install base, definitely ruffled some SERIOUS concern about other franchises.

And obvious I want to see opinions about what Polyphony Digital can to to the series to increase it sales again in next-generation.
Actually Forza Horizion is at way better spot than Gran Turismo.

What do you think about the future of the series?

Bonus hypothetical case?

What if Sony choose to buy Forza Horizon series after GTS so that they could have a racing game that maybe more than 8% of their install base will care about and only focus in Forza Horizon series? What do you think Polyphony Digital will do or work?

Thank you for you time btw.

Birdo

Banned
In it's current state, it's probably one of the best in the series. It's only down side is a smaller car list (Which is constantly being updated).

It's also one of the biggest selling games in Europe this gen.

They are poised to blow us away with a fully fleshed out GT7.

Last edited:

Romulus

For me, VR support next gen will make or break sim racers. I won't invest time without it, it's too immersive and even it cuts down my track times.

In it's current state, it's probably one of the best in the series. It's only down side is a smaller car list (Which is constantly being updated).

It's also one of the biggest selling games in Europe this gen.

They are poised to blow us away with a fully fleshed out GT7.
I agree. I've really enjoyed where GTS has landed since launch and hope the trend continues upwards.

Banned
LOL is this a counter Thread?

B Bladed Thesis VS. ethomaz ethomaz
ROUND 1
40ebafd4cdb31c02a4169b63a2004ae4.gif

pawel86ck

Banned
In the old days Gran Turismo were fun racing games even casuals could enjoy on gamepad. Now everything has changed and I'm no longer Gran Turismo fan... however I'm expecting amazing visuals on PS5.

Last edited:
I was gonna give GT another try this generation, but then they decided to basically make it so you need an internet connection for the offline single player part of the game, so I decided to pass after their stupid decision. Better games to play that don't have always online restrictions for no reason.

protonion

Gran Turismo abandoned it's roots.

When Yamauchi pitched the game to Kutaragi, he said he wanted to make a racing game he could drive his car.

Sorry, all this boring collection of super cars means nothing to me.
I want to drive my Aygo and grind money in Sunday cups until I can squeeze a first place.

What happened to the awesome carpg design? Where is the map full of activities? I really cannot stand all the -beautiful sure - menus.

I can play GT3 right now and have a blast. GTS on the other hand I will quit after a couple of races. It's a great game at what it does but....meh.

Imo they should make a proper GT7. A true sequel to GT4 (5 and 6 were okish, they had their issues) and keep GTS as a separate game/service.

Sony should have learned this gen that "evolution" does not mean more sales or a better product. (Ps4 gaming focus, single player games etc.)

This thread makes no sense. There's only been Gran Turismo Sport this gen ( which is a competitor to Forza Horizon and not Forza ) and I bet when the next series releases that focuses on the sim experience again it will sell like hot cakes. The impact the Gran Turismo series has on the racing scene is huge. I'm sure Sony is saving their racing masterpiece for the PS5 when it can put it's stamp on the racing genre going into next gen. Nobody nails the physics like this dev team

Forza Horizon series rise. It is INDISCUTILE that Forza Horizon become one of the best selling games from Microsoft and reached a size and success that Sony never saw with Gran Turismo and that probably helped to make gamers buy less and less Gran Turismo.
I think you either don't know what are you talking about or you totally forgot how big was the series in its prime.

Gamernyc78

Banned
No salt, I like both games. Just pointing fun at the bad faith thread concern about Forza.

No bs though GT use to be Sony's top sales dog selling so much even prolouge sold more than like 6 million. I think it's true racing games in general just don't have tht popularity anymore kind of like how boxing games were popular and died out.

Reactions: Isa
No bs though GT use to be Sony's top sales dog selling so much even prolouge sold more than like 6 million. I think it's true racing games in general just don't have tht popularity anymore kind of like how boxing games were popular and died out.
Oh, I know. Great games. Loved A-spec. And I agree with the boxing game comment. Tastes evolve. Racing in the PS2 days was one of the top dogs.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Oh, I know. Great games. Loved A-spec. And I agree with the boxing game comment. Tastes evolve. Racing in the PS2 days was one of the top dogs.

But I think (tales out my ass) this new gen might revive that past interest. I mean GT still sells multimillion but not like before. I didn't buy sport but I would buy a new one for next Gen.

Banned
Still my favourite MK game. Something about it, is just magical.

same... had it on GameBoy, played it with my cousin all the time as a kid on his SNES and I even played it all the time through a MegaDrive emulator back in 2003 on my N-Gage... yes I had an N-Gage and it was great!

and the remaster recently leaked...
92604670-medium.jpg

MK1 to 3 with "Upgraded Art"
I for one am very curious how this will turn out.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

While I admittedly havent played Sport yet, the campaigns in GT are what sets the series apart for me. Gran Turismo campaigns completely destroy any Forza (or any competitor).

Ive been playing GT6 on and off for years and still feel like ive barely scratched the surface. Some of the dlc time challenges forced me to learn the game inside and out, more so than pretty much any videogame i ever played - I cant say the same for Forza or other racers. Theres this one Ferrari challenge in GT6 I remember vividly - I had to play it dozens, maybe in 100+ to finally complete - but I could feel myself getting better and learning the course more each and every run. It was extremely rewarding. The next GT needs to bring the focus back on its campaign.

Last edited:
Loved Prolouge and GT5, never picked up Sport since it launched withouth a carrer mode and cut cars, all that appeals to me with the series.

I dont think Polyphony will have GT7 for launch, i remember everyone saying the same for the ps4 launch, that a new gt would be in the launch window, they seem to take their time in the last years.

Still if they go back to what the series used to be i will be back

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
Admitedly Yamauchi and Polyphony have way too much free pass in Sony Worldwide Studios, I wonder if that will change now with Herman Hulst as president, they definitively would look really really bad if dont have ready Gran Turismo 7 on PlayStation5 release date.

etp_1

Don't have any current gen console but if i had, GT Sport would be instant buy. Back in the early PS 3 days GT 5 Prologue was the main reason for me to buy the console. It was so so much fun with an G25...as was GT 5 and to a lesser extent GT 6.
I would buy another bunch of hardware just for a full experience on a Gran Turismo. There is also no alternative for it...did try the FM 7 and FH 4 and lets say they are no fun at all.

I'm confused on the sales part. The Forza IP has grown a lot over the years, but I don't know if any of the games have reached the numbers of the best-selling GT games.

Just checked: GT3 A-Spec sold over 14 million copies alone and Forza as a series reached around 10 million (across all versions released up to that point) in 2010. So I doubt any single Forza game has outsold A-Spec, GT4 or GT5. Maybe GT6, tho.

Not that sales definitively represent quality whatsoever, but I thought that was weird of OP to say when immediately I knew it wasn't true.

urmie

If we going on sales, Mario Kart (Nintendo's "racer") sold 23 million (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html), more than GTS and every other racer. Does that mean Mario Kart is the OP of racers? Of course not. I'm pretty sure PD, Turn 10 and other companies could only wish to have that kind of number.

After the failure of Driveclub (unfortunately), PS fans had nothing in racing until GTS finally came out, so of course GTS would sell. It should sell more now that more content has been added. GT Planet members and most fans want a full-fledged GT7, not an online-only empty shell of a fantastic series. Hope GT7 is that game. I will always buy GT games as well as Forza games regardless.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Same here. I need my Sunday Cups and Endurance Events ... i don´t give a wet fuck about perpetually racing in the same tier in GTS or Furza 9 ... because i lack the skill for God Tier.

What´s the point then? I´d like to play other games as well and not do "dailies" on Interlagos for months to come. It´s funny that GTS has more grind than GT4 or GT5 collecting offline 1,200 cars.

Ever since Japan lost to America, gaming went ... a different path.

Reactions: Isa

skneogaf

gta has built a great start to a game but needs to continue the same path as in one game called gran turismo sport that keeps being added to in graphics, physics and services etc

Top Bottom