• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Series Sales At 80.4 Million

Shin

Banned
Once upon a time, Gran Turismo was Sony’s flagship, most prominent franchise, with each installment selling millions and setting new standards for the genre for its generation.
While those days are long gone, the franchise still has commercial juice in it yet- as evidenced by Sony’s announcement today that lifetime sales for the Gran Turismo franchise are at 80.4 million to date.

This makes Gran Turismo far and away Sony’s most successful series to date- it’s more than Uncharted, more than God of War, more than Ratchet and Clank. Sales have no doubt been buoyed by Gran Turismo Sport‘s release last year- while this shouldn’t be official, extrapolating Sport‘s numbers from this data, as well as previously known lifetime ales for Gran Turismo, puts its sales at 3.5 to 4 million units worldwide.

So it seems like, in spite of a rough start, Sport has managed to do well for itself. Now to see where it ends up in the long run.

I can't find the official press release, the news is covered and base off a certain forum.
Quote from Sony's PR team can be found below, the above is from an article by GamingBolt which can be found here: https://gamingbolt.com/gran-turismo-series-sales-at-80-4-million

Paris, FRANCE, May 11, 2018 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that
sell-through for the popular Gran Turismo franchise have passed 80.4 million units *1 in the 20
years since the game was launched.

Sales are expecting a further surge as Polyphony Digital Inc., creators of Gran Turismo,
announce further details of the new FIA Gran Turismo Championships in partnership with the
world governing body of motor sport, the Fédèration Internationale de l’Automobile. Creator
of the Gran Turismo franchise, Kazunori Yamauchi, commented :

“It’s hard to imagine that 80.4 million copies of Gran Turismo have been played during the
20-year history of the franchise. It makes me really happy to think of the immense amount of
time that has been poured into playing our games! I would like to express my sincere thanks
and appreciation for the community, as well as our close friends and supporters within the
automotive industry. We would like to continue our efforts in achieving the best possible
expression and creation of cars and scenery, as well as bringing the highest level of excitement
and fun through racing in the years to come.”

The Shepard

So God of war beat it already in the first 3 days of sale. I imagine gt sport will have some serious legs as its constantly getting some good updates, I'm happy with the game so far. I do hope for a proper gran turismo 7 in the future though, there was a rumour of one happening if I remember correctly.

octiny

Banned
GT1: 10.85m May 2018
GT2: 9.37m May 2018
GT3: 14.89m May 2018
GT4: 11.76m May 2018
GT5: 11.95m May 2018
GT6: 5.35m May 2018
GT Sport: 3.3m (9 months of sales)

Gives you an idea of where GT lost major ground & I'm not surprised it was around GT6, which took WAY too long to come out. It's clear Forza & others put a dent into it's sales.

3.3 so far for Sport isn't bad & it should slot in between GT5 & GT6 (closer to GT6) eventually which is an improvement at least.

Last edited:
GT1: 10.85m May 2018
GT2: 9.37m May 2018
GT3: 14.89m May 2018
GT4: 11.76m May 2018
GT5: 11.95m May 2018
GT6: 5.35m May 2018
GT Sport: 3.3m (9 months of sales)

Gives you an idea of where GT lost major ground & I'm not surprised it was around GT6, which took WAY too long to come out. It's clear Forza & others put a dent into it's sales.

3.3 so far for Sport isn't bad & it should slot in between GT5 & GT6 (closer to GT6) eventually which is an improvement at least.
Not surprised at all. They have stopped in time (although GTS did bring a few 'new' things to the franchise, it's still not enough when the competition has a LOT more to offer).

Top Bottom