• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo sounds are significantly improved (!) in latest beta

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Which is kind of weirdly shocking to me! Finally, we're getting some awesome sounding replays. Guess hiring that Forza dev is paying dividends.

https://youtu.be/-m2_wjtZfzA

Still has some issues and it doesn't sound like all cars have gotten the improved sounds just yet, but this is miles beyond the last beta at expos. Great stuff.

dat backfire sound

odroqc.gif

gif by benzy

Sound of the entire field of cars at Brands Hatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iA7F3cwKs

While I wasn't too concerned with how the cars sounded, this is great.

And looking at GT Sport again, these graphics are fucking amazing. I so can't wait for this to come out.

Newlove

Didn't some cars sound great in previous GT games but the non-premium cars had that vacuum cleaner sound? History tells me it could be the same case but I haven't avidly followed this one.

bombshell

Didn't some cars sound great in previous GT games but the non-premium cars had that vacuum cleaner sound? History tells me it could be the same case but I haven't avidly followed this one.

All cars in GT Sport are premium, built from scratch for the game.

DieH@rd

Banned

There are no non-premium cars in GTSport. All cars are new, and they are described by Kaz as "super premium".

BTW, this is most likely footage from base PS4, headlights become illuminated only when the car is very close to the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26cxRzw5FQM

It bugs me that in every replay video headlights are not illuminating the track surface [at least a little bit would be fine].

While the base samples sound way better, along with the channel imaging, the reverb and delay is completely wrong. Close your eyes and you can tell the reverb timing is from a dense reflective area and sounds like an urban road course. Hopefully they can account for tracks that are wide open with lots of sound absorbing properties like the Nordschleife.

The lighting on this is incredible... currently looking at it playing on a second screen, and with half an eye I could easily be convinced I'm watching real footage.

Main reason is they focused on other stuff like transmission whine, drivetrain noises etc.

I noticed the sound of the driveline shudder feeding back into the engine and gear whine, which really surprised me.

If you notice they also have working corner workers who will put out green and yellow flags as appropriate. I'd laugh if things like blue and red flags make it into the final game.

Straight cut gears anyone? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EJFD9sdQwA

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
Sounds like it's underwater. what's up with that? It sounds extremely muted tbh. Not impressive imo. It might be better than GT5 but still underwhelming... :(

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
While the base samples sound way better, along with the channel imaging, the reverb and delay is completely wrong. Close your eyes and you can tell the reverb timing is from a dense reflective area and sounds like an urban road course. Hopefully they can account for tracks that are wide open with lots of sound absorbing properties like the Nordschleife.

Agree. The reverb is completely wrong.

Sound of the entire field of cars at Brands Hatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iA7F3cwKs

Interesting...

The in-car reverb actually sounds almost correct and they even seem to model what sounds like rocks hitting the wheel wells and floorpan from the tires, but once again the exterior shots have completely wrong reverb.

The exterior shots also seem to have some overly aggressive dynamic range compression and maybe something like a +6db upward slant that attenuates the lower frequencies.

Some of the engine notes also sound completely wrong and heavily synthesized.

opricnik

Banned
Welcome to last gen standarts GT (in terms of sound).

They are still quite behind going on above my post comparison.

Sounds much better than previous GTs. I'm not exactly fully into cars and what they should sound like, but I did always notice GT sounded worse than most other games out there, so this is an improvement.

Those trees though...

yella

I can barely hear that the audio in that video (listening to all these on my home theater).

It's not consistent with anything else being posted in the thread.
That's because the GT Sport video has the music playing in the background; the other 2 only have the engine sound.

It sounds good and pretty close to the real thing regardless (the high-pitched whine sounding louder in GTS than in the other 2 vids is the only difference I found). Someone will have to record a video without music in order to generate a fair comparison.

Top Bottom