• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport: A Comprehensive Sales Estimate

LostDonkey

Yeah, but that number is from May 2018 when player count was around 5 million. You really think that 3.3 million copies sold remained the same from last year, while player count grew over 7 million? There is no logic in that.

You really think it doubled?

Using player/profiles numbers as sales data is silly.

Example-I have one copy of the game with 2 seperate profiles.

Also game sharing is a thing so the numbers from profiles are not realistic.

I mean its as bad as basing Xb1 sales on live subs.

Last edited:
You really think it doubled?

Using player/profiles numbers as sales data is silly.

Example-I have one copy of the game with 2 seperate profiles.

Also game sharing is a thing so the numbers from profiles are not realistic.

I mean its as bad as basing Xb1 sales on live subs.

I never thought, nor said sales numbers were doubled. My own estimation are 5 mil. till date But the problem is that you thought that 3.3 mil. copies sold remained the same while player numbers grew over 7 million. And also, since you cited wikipedia, there is clearly stated the date for that number - May 2018. Otherwise, logically so, you would think at least that sales numbers grew, like ethomaz ethomaz said, and not quoting the numbers from last year.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The actual number to reach 3.3m are these...

• 77.02 Million Sell-in as of September 30, 2017.
  • 80.4 Million Sell-through as of May 5, 2018.
Any sell-in for May 5, 2018 already put GTS over 3.3m.

That is why the 3.3m is wrong.

Gingen

Banned
Today Kaz Yamauchi has confirmed that GT Sport have over 7 million players

screenshot_20190302-113j47.jpg

https://go.skimresources.com/?id=39.../&xtz=-60&abp=1&jv=13.13.5-stackpath&bv=2.5.1

thelastword

Banned
Today Kaz Yamauchi has confirmed that GT Sport have over 7 million players
Why isn't this news it's own thread? BTW, it's over 7 million, not just 7......One thing I picked up from the article is that he said "GTS is the world's biggest motorsports platform", It's why SuperGT said, no racer beats GT when it comes to motorsports....I think that was part of Kaz's vision for the title, to fuse motorsport/petrol head culture with the game.....There's no doubt that GT has the best and largest online racing community in existence at the moment....So congrats to PD........By the time PS5 arrives, this should easily be at 10 million.....(Just give me trial mountain, deep forest and grand valley).......Though I suspect they will keep those goods for GT7 on PS5...with graphics tuned to stage 20...

ethomaz

Banned
With the sales of GTS game officially reaching 8 million.

Last GTS profile: www.gran-turismo.com/br/gtsport/user/profile/9427342/overview
Profiles start on 1,000,000 and there are 621,204 Betas.
9427342 - 1000000 - 621204 = 7,806,138 profiles created.

That basically fucked my sales estimates because Sales > Profiles while I always assumed the opposite.

I know its not the font of all knowledge but Wikipedia has the sales totalled at 3.3 million.

Quite a discrepancy from your estimate.
My estimated was very conservative... sales (probably shipment) is way higher than my estimates.

Last edited:

vkbest

With the sales of GTS game officially reaching 8 million.

Last GTS profile: www.gran-turismo.com/br/gtsport/user/profile/9427342/overview
Profiles start on 1,000,000 and there are 621,204 Betas.
9427342 - 1000000 - 621204 = 7,806,138 profiles created.

That basically fucked my sales estimates because Sales > Profiles while I always assumed the opposite.

My estimated was very conservative... sales (probably shipment) is way higher than my estimates.
People now buying games on sales and not playing ever

ethomaz

Banned
People now buying games on sales and not playing ever
It is probably because it is shipment... so there are around 500k units or so in shelves.

But hey I have games that I bought but never played :D
It was cheaper, I said I will play when I finish others, so it entered in the backlog, new games released and it never had time to play them.

On PS3 I had a lot and I just moved to PS4 and forget them... I already have games on PS4 that I never played :(

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Good news.

I changed all the data to an actual database... in fact I was about to create an app using some free DBMS like PostgreSQL, MySQL or Firebird but give up the ideia when I thought MS Access could be easier to manage across machines (I have Office 365).

So I created all the the data structure and some really nice VBA to get the data automatically... now I have basically a button in a form to just click everyday and let the Access get all the new profiles created... no more hard work.

I actually have 10081491 profiles in the base (the last one being number 11081490)... it is pretty up to date to few hours ago.

I will start to update the thread and after I will find some way to share the database with everybody.

ethomaz

Banned
Updated with new estimate based in Feb 13, 2020 profile extraction.

UK: ~780k
JP: ~480k

WW: ~8,333,000

Some others highlights:

- Total GTS profiles: 9,481,623 (soon will reach 10 million).
- Beta profiles only dropped from 621k to 529k in the last 356 days (almost a year).
- 2,334,671 new profiles were created in the last 356 days.
- Average of 6,558 profiles created per day.
- The previous years the avg. was around 7-9k so while there is a drop it still is solid pace/legs.
- US is well over 1 million profiles created, UK will soon reach 1 million.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
There 1.4m difference between the new PD slide and the extraction from gran-turismo.com.
Possible two reasons:

1) The PD slide data is old.
2) There are suspended accounts (I did update some accounts that before have stat 1 and now have null) so I will do some research about... if that is the case I will have to update to update about 8 million profiles.

Let's check to be more accurate.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
There 1.4m difference between the new PD slide and the extraction from gran-turismo.com.
Possible two reasons:

1) The PD slide data is old.
2) There are suspended accounts (I did update some accounts that before have stat 1 and now have null) so I will do some research about... if that is the case I will have to update to update about 8 million profiles.

Let's check to be more accurate.
Doesn't it make more sense that Sony is not reporting profile numbers but instead the unique users that actually started the game at least once in 2019? They are 2019 stats, right?

ethomaz

Banned
Doesn't it make more sense that Sony is not reporting profile numbers but instead the unique users that actually started the game at least once in 2019? They are 2019 stats, right?
It can be a reason but last year they shared profiles numbers.
I have 6m profiles to get updated... already did over 500k and no suspended account found yet... it will be pretty hard to find 1.4m suspended in 6m profiles imo.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Finally updated all profiles data, so I got track of Suspended accounts that where so little account that I believe it was not worthy to waste the time doing it.

Overall Profiles as of Feb 20, 2020
  • Total profiles: 10,097,449
  • Total GTS profiles: 9,528,488
  • Total Beta only profiles: 568,948 * Beta profiles turn in GTS profiles after play the final game
  • Total suspended (254) profiles: 1
  • Total suspended (255) profiles: 12

• Missing profiles: 30,551 * profiles that where removed from the Beta phase due unknown reasons

I added the missing profiles numbers too... it existed since my first extract but I never showed it because they are profile numbers that doesn't exist in the Gran-turismo.com database... they are all profiles numbers bellow 3000000 so they were removed or not used in the Beta phase.
There are two codes now for suspended profiles. 254 and 255, I don't know the details but it can be just different reason like permabaned and baned for 1 year * big guesses here *.

Let's summary the estimates update up to Feb 20, 2020:

UK: ~785k
JP: ~485k

WW: ~8,400,000

Some others highlights from the official profile data:

- Total GTS profiles: 9,528,488.
- Beta profiles only dropped from 569,362 to 568,948 in the last 7 days.
- 46,865 new profiles were created in the last 7 days.
- Average of 6,695‬ profiles created per day (avg. the same as last year).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
New update.

Overall Profiles as of Feb 26, 2020
  • Total profiles: 10,141,937
  • Total GTS profiles: 9,572,976
  • Total Beta only profiles: 568,948 * Beta profiles turn in GTS profiles after play the final game
  • Total suspended (254) profiles: 1
  • Total suspended (255) profiles: 12

• Missing profiles: 30,553 * profiles that where removed from the Beta phase due unknown reasons

Highlights

- 44,488 new profiles were created in the last 6 days.
- Average of 7,414 profiles created per day

ethomaz

Banned
New update.

Overall Profiles as of Mar 29, 2020

• Total profiles: ‭10,479,441‬
  • Total GTS profiles: 9,910,480
  • Total status 254 profiles: 1
  • Total status 255 profiles: 12

• Missing profiles: 30,560 * profiles that where removed due unknown reasons

Highlights

- ‭337,504‬ new profiles were created in the last 30 days.
- Average of 11,250 profiles created per day (almost doubled from previous months).

The big increase in profiles create is probably related to Coronavirus.

Less than 90k profiles to reach 10 million GTS profiles created :messenger_heart:
That means 8-9 days.

Last edited:

small_law

I see what they were going for with GTS, but the series at this point is so far away from what I loved about it originally that there's no way I'm picking up the next entry until I know it's something I want to play.

Like enough with the beautiful menus and jazz music. I get that GTS is all about a hyper competitive online experience, but would it kill polyphony digital to let me take a car for a full lap around a track in a single player mode? The first time I booted GTS, I couldn't believe the game wouldn't let me do that aside from segmented licensing tests.

ethomaz

Banned
I see what they were going for with GTS, but the series at this point is so far away from what I loved about it originally that there's no way I'm picking up the next entry until I know it's something I want to play.

Like enough with the beautiful menus and jazz music. I get that GTS is all about a hyper competitive online experience, but would it kill polyphony digital to let me take a car for a full lap around a track in a single player mode? The first time I booted GTS, I couldn't believe the game wouldn't let me do that aside from segmented licensing tests.
Weird you can do that in GTS since day one in arcade or circuit experience.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Update.

Overall Profiles as of Apr 4, 2020
  • Total profiles: ‭10,603,356
  • Total GTS profiles: 10,034,395

• Missing profiles: 36,645 * profiles that where removed due unknown reasons

10 million profiles baby.

Avg. of ‭20.652 profiles created in the last 6 days.
That is up from 11,250 from last update and from 6-7k from 2019 and early 2020.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Updated.

Overall Profiles as of Apr 15, 2020
  • Total profiles: ‭10,763,355
  • Total GTS profiles: 10,194,394

• Missing profiles: 36,645 * profiles that where removed due unknown reasons

Average of 14.5k profiles created per day.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't get threads like this? I mean we are not shareholders and gonna benefit from it. I own the game and its a great game but sales numbers mean nothing to me. content keeps coming so that's great

Rudius

Played GT Sport in VR today. Really good feeling, but it's a shame that the mode is so limited. I hope the next game will change that.

ethomaz

Banned
Updated.

Overall Profiles as of Dec 20, 2021
  • Total profiles: 15,673,020
  • Total GTS profiles: 15,157,366
  • Total Beta only profiles: 515,640 * Beta profiles turn in GTS profiles after play the final game
  • Total status 255 profiles: 14

• Deleted profiles: 36,981 * profiles that where removed due unknown reasons (banned?)

Average of 8k profiles created per day from Apr 15, 2020 to Dec 20, 2021.

ethomaz

Banned
Sadly PD changed the userid for GT7 API.

URL: https://web-api.gt7.game.gran-turismo.com/user/get_user_profile

You need to pass the user_id via Payload in POST mode to get the results (REST).
Exemple of Payload.

{user_id: "03500438-ee57-48b7-8a5b-883ee634e0a6"}

So you have the result:

{"result":{"country_code":"JP","is_hidden_nickname":false,"is_valid_user":true,"nick_name":"Sagittarius","np_online_id":"Sagittarius","user_id":"03500438-ee57-48b7-8a5b-883ee634e0a6","about_me":"","greeting":"","greeting_post_race":"","hidden_list":[],"instagram_user_name":"","twitter_user_name":""}}

or

{user_id: "e1106b51-9051-498d-9f0e-b2cc803e4f2a"}

{"result":{"country_code":"US","is_hidden_nickname":false,"is_valid_user":true,"nick_name":"Ethomaz","np_online_id":"ethomaz","user_id":"e1106b51-9051-498d-9f0e-b2cc803e4f2a","about_me":"","greeting":"","greeting_post_race":"","hidden_list":[],"instagram_user_name":"","twitter_user_name":""}}

The issue is the user_id is not sequential anymore... so it is impossible to get all data like I did before.
So that won't work with GT7 API :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom