• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Tomeru

It's dubious to me how many of you here continue to show intimate knowledge about the corporate politics between Sony and PD. Where do you all get it?

Forgive my sarcasm, but how about we let PD get GTS out the gate and onto our consoles before we decide they are done.

From what I see, while there are issues, it looks amazingly good and sounds much better than before. It is GT through and through in design and gameplay, and I fucken want my beta access...

Rajang

Still waiting for some high quality footage. Youtube compression is awful.

Hopefully gamersyde gets in the beta or something.

It's dubious to me how many of you here continue to show intimate knowledge about the corporate politics between Sony and PD. Where do you all get it?

Forgive my sarcasm, but how about we let PD get GTS out the gate and onto our consoles before we decide they are done.

From what I see, while there are issues, it looks amazingly good and sounds much better than before. It is GT through and through in design and gameplay, and I fucken want my beta access...
Just tired of hearing about forza and evolution closing down every..single..time

That said let me in this damn beta

I'm assuming they are using an old build of the track to hit a constant 60fps on the beta.

Cause really, the texture/foliage on the ground and trees is distracting.

The point is you get much more powerful hardware and cannot spring on from what you achieved before and do better with framerate?

I don't buy it, not from PD. They're suppose to be the technical wizards, not lose ground to other devs.

The longer PD don't take Forza seriously the longer it will get panned by critics and slowly lose a bit of marketshare

Compared to GT5/6 - It's a much better looking, sounding game with more advanced physics, higher detailed cars, a lot of which are on track at the same time, probably built almost from the ground up. Not just a matter of taking an existing engine and polishing it up.

As for missing features between generations, (dynamic weather/time of day) - happens all the time, with many, many game series. GTA4 was not as deep and rounded a game as GTA: San Andreas, but it was an important generational leap.

Also comparisons to 30fps targeting games is silly. Forza Horizon and Driveclub would absolutely not look as good as they do had they targeted 60fps. Look at Driveclubs VR mode, everyone said it was disappointing graphically in comparison to the core game. Forza Horizon at 60fps looks like regular Forza, which we can debate on, but I'm not looking at this GTSport beta footage and thinking it's lacking compared to Forza.

Game series' need to evolve to survive, and as I've said before, I think GT Sport refining the series as primarily online/competitive hub is the right move at this point of time. They have to nail social/connectivity/customisation (personalisation e.g. decals), along simple to setup competitive online races.

GT5/6 might have had a lot of online options, but it was for me, primarily an absolute mess and pain in the ass to get a simple race going that didn't devolve into dicking about on the nurburgring for 30 minutes to an hour without achieving anything. Pairing this mess down into a good online racing system is paramount. If they nail this, average race times to achieve a result will be way shorter, and dynamic conditions will come into play a lot less. So it makes sense to sacrifice it and concentrate on other things, and it could even allow them to make a better looking game if it's baked in.

benzy

vhufpl.gif

Yeah yeah we all know PD are the kings of making money, but it's their own legacy they are leaving behind of succumbing to poor project management and stubbornness. Kaz is becoming as close to crazy Ken as possible. As I said, competitors taking you over is often like a slow disease. It takes time to dethrone a King, but one day they can do just that if your head is so far up your own arse you keep fumbling through year after year.

Evolution Studios were ill-equipped to go from arcade fun like Motorstorm to a serious racer in one fell swoop. They buckled and failed under their pressure. However, the talent in that studio still produced what was on display, and fixed their shit. Were worthy of another chance, but fair enough, Sony prioritised PD and cut them loose. The same PD though that are still fumbling around. Evolution getting canned should have been a wake up call to Kaz. No, PD ain't getting canned, but Sony cut them (Evolution) loose for PD to carry on unchallenged on their own platform. Kaz and PD then delayed Sport again, but it seems we're still going to get a GT Prologue on steroids when this thing finally ships.

If anything let this beta be a test for them to make sure they don't have 3 months of network problems when Sport launches.

Forgetting about Evo's WRC games?

Mathezar

Noticing none of the car headlights are casting any light on the track, looks super weird. I seem to recall that being in GT6, would look amazing in HDR...

shouldn't there be light-cones on the track from the headlights? edit: I was LTTP with my post, sorry @Mathezar

I remember GT6 only showing the cone of the car you selected to observe, all the other cars didn't really cast light on objects.
But here it's probably just too early in the evening to really see it... right?

Also... I don't really care, it looks great to a non-graphic-enthusiast like me. I know I will have fun, be happy that they finally did something to the sound and I will curse the not-really-sim physics either way while still loving the game overall... absolutely sure this is how this will go.

My biggest hope is that the FFB will be actually based on levers acting through the suspension geometry and every car having a different steering DoR and different steering linearity. I mean Codemasters got that part by now, PD certainly can get it as well, especially with the lower car count they should be able to afford spending some resources on getting cars to feel more individual.

That is likely the most realistic looking thing I have ever seen in a game. I wish Siege looked like that.

When it showed the car driving in replay is that what it looks like while playing? Felt the other tracks and videos were looking a little worse

How likely is it that this game will feature 2 player splitscreen (at 30 fps) ? I wanna play it against a friend in front of the same God damn TV ...

Top Bottom