• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

RankoSD

Nice, they've updated the graffiti on the Nurburgring and now there is a GT logo there :)

mViVDnu.jpg

Shame that they have to be up to date because ~3 years ago it looked like this:

grapZsG.jpg

~7 months ago like this:

YHc1iGM.jpg

Today, "WE ♥" part got completely smudged out and the GT logo is barely visible, so I guess that they have been there few months ago.

CSX

Came in to see some gifs. Leaving satisfied. Time to go searching for my old ass wheel and a converter lol

thelastword

Banned
Best lighting, cars and trackside detail (foreground) I've seen in a racer.......Car engine sound is more accurate, but also other sound quips when cars goes over bumps etc, they sound heavier and more detailed...Performance looks to be ace from what I've seen as well.....I'd just like that extra pass of T.A.A....atp.

Why are folks posting videos, gifs and images of real life in this thread? I came here to see GTSport game.

I don't believe it. O.O

Would like to see some Pro footage but everything so far seems to be OG PS4, which looks amazing anyway. Noone uploading 1080p footage :(

bud

i really hope they keep improving the sounds. what i'm hearing so far is definitely a lot better than it was in the past so i'm hopeful.

Gestault

I'm finally seeing some good-res footage of complete races.

Maybe there's something wonky about this recording/race in particular, but in the nitpick category, I'm seeing low vehicle reflection framerates and obvious reflection threshholds. Interior car lighting seems to lag behind environment lighting in sort of staggered jumps. Ambient occlusion seems to disregard light direction, so you get a locked-in shadow placement to the left and right of cars ahead of you. It's little weird stuff that's obvious when you see it in gameplay angles.

That being said, this looks like a cosmic leap forward in general. I can't wait to play. The handling (now that we're past a handful of random streamers' iffy skills) looks wonderful. Camera movement in the cockpit/hood cam are roughly the level I prefer. In-car camera could maybe be pushed forward a bit for asthetics, but it looks good for peripheral views and gives a good sense of your surroundings. Visually, they have the exposure range set nicely for the different cams, and things like headlights are saftely in "YEESSSSS" territory. You can see the shortcuts they use for the treelines, but it's handled super well.

Gestault

Oh man, with headphones on, the environmental audio for the "home-stretch" areas of the track for race events are amazing. They got the echoy, overlapping loudspeakers and various states of engines rev so well you almost don't think about it.

dr guildo

Unbelievable. This looks amazing!

Edit: Are the trees/foliage static? Would be cool to see a noticeable breeze flowing or something, but still looks ACE.

Yeah, static foliage seems to be a bit off, I hope the wind will blow as hell in the final version.

farisr

When I heard there was no dynamic time of day for some reason I though the times of day you could choose from would all be baked. But it looks like they're not baked, the time of day just doesn't change during the course of a race.
Yeah, it's not baked. Which makes it seems like they do have a dynamic ToD system done, but it may not have been doable for this game and its release timeline, making me hopeful for a proper GT7 having it at release.

Mid-December in a PS4 bundle for 239$ is my guess.

So that would make it 4 years since GT6. I hope they deliver.

Yeah, it's not baked. Which makes it seems like they do have a dynamic ToD system done, but it may not have been doable for this game and its release timeline, making me hopeful for a proper GT7 having it at release.

So GT7 is a thing as well? Why don't they just make this as the GT7.

farisr

So GT7 is a thing as well? Why don't they just make this as the GT7.
Not officially, they want people to buy this game. And why not make this GT7? Because it doesn't hold up to the scope of a numbered game (at least based on what they've said so far, this could change possibly due to the delay) and they can get away with it by saying it wasn't GT7 after the fact. This release is happening because PD is really slow at development and knows there are a decent number of people who will eat this release right up at full price despite it being heavily cut down in scope compared to what's expected of a traditional GT title right now.

NHale

Not officially, they want people to buy this game. And why not make this GT7? Because it doesn't hold up to the scope of a numbered game (at least based on what they've said so far, this could change possibly due to the delay) and they can get away with it by saying it wasn't GT7 after the fact. This release is happening because PD is really slow at development and knows there are a decent number of people who will eat this release right up at full price despite it being heavily cut down in scope compared to a traditional GT title.

This isn't GT7 because you can't try to emulate what iRacing does best while keeping the "collect all cars" style of game where the quantity of the content is more important than exactly the substance of the content.

They decided to take a risk and make a spinoff heavily focused on online multiplayer because they want to make a truly competitive and fair racing game on consoles that at the same time could be the perfect "game as service" for years to come (via cars as DLC) even if they release a GT7. Both games will co-exist because this is just using Gran Turismo branding since it's a known brand and they would be foolish not to. But at the same time they aren't trying to fool anyone by calling it GT7. It's GT Sport for a reason.

You say heavily cut down in scope, but I say it has a much deeper scope from what they announced it (let's see if they deliver it) than any previous GT game considering all the functionalities they said are going to be in the multiplayer component especially if they go all in into seasonal events and team endurance racing. Of course the focus of this game will not please a big chunk of the traditional GT fans and even some racing fans that are used to numbers going up everytime and that racing games are like Guitar Hero and that's why they are taking a big risk by making this spinoff.

farisr

Both games will co-exist because this is just using Gran Turismo branding since it's a known brand and they would be foolish not to. But at the same time they aren't trying to fool anyone by calling it GT7. It's GT Sport for a reason.
Nah, I'd say there's still some shitty PR stuff going on still trying to get folks to buy this. They have never once called this a spinoff themselves. Even have gone as far as to say that the game is eatured enough that "Thinking about it now, yeah, we could have called it Gran Turismo 7."

Have also said GT1-6 presents the first era. GT Sport is the new era and direction of the series going forward, once again implying this is not a spinoff but a main entry and what to expect from the next entries in the series as well.

BigEmil

I like that GT doesn't go for that extra gritty exaggerated hollywood sounds its more serene and bliss~
Just like all of Gran Turismo from menus style, sound effect music all elegance which is a GT trademark

Not officially, they want people to buy this game. And why not make this GT7? Because it doesn't hold up to the scope of a numbered game (at least based on what they've said so far, this could change possibly due to the delay) and they can get away with it by saying it wasn't GT7 after the fact. This release is happening because PD is really slow at development and knows there are a decent number of people who will eat this release right up at full price despite it being heavily cut down in scope compared to what's expected of a traditional GT title right now.

lol, this is it. It's a different direction for the series. They may go back to a single-player focused experience but only if this venture into online-competitive racing fails.

Buy it if you like it, don't if you don't.

farisr

lol, this is it. It's a different direction for the series. They may go back to a single-player focused experience but only if this venture into online-competitive racing fails.

Buy it if you like it, don't if you don't.
I won't be buying it, and if that is truly the case (that they have no intention of making a game with a decent SP focus in the future) then I hope this fails enough for them to not make the series go in this direction, but does well enough for them to implement it into a proper GT7 entry so fans of this stuff aren't disappointed.

Top Bottom