• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

I'm in Canada, got an invite, but the code doesn't work? Anyone else have this issue? Trying to input the code via the PSN web store tells me the code is invalid.

EDIT: Looks like a bunch of people in the closed beta forum have the same issue, so hopefully Sony will fix it in time for the weekend.

I'm in Canada, got an invite, but the code doesn't work? Anyone else have this issue? Trying to input the code via the PSN web store tells me the code is invalid.

Weird, I just got the update email, but no code. I can access the forums and bug tracker. My guess is they're just rolling out Canada now and doing a poor job at it?

This is strange, I got an email with an update on the beta, and I can access the closed forum... but I haven't gotten a code!? Anyone else get this?

I'm in Canada.

Same, Got the email but nothing else. I can access the beta forums. Also in Canada. The are quite a few others on the forums also in the same situation. I imagine a code will arrive soon.

nikos

I've been checking my PlayStation app daily. Really hoping I get in.

Are only some people being notified by email?

Not really impressed by the game visually. Looks solid, nothing mind blowing. The 2D trees look baaaaad.

This has been the last couple of GTs for me. In certain situations the game looks lifelike, but the general look while playing regularly is nothing special. Still, I'm pumped.

Korezo

Not really impressed by the game visually. Looks solid, nothing mind blowing. The 2D trees look baaaaad.

Wasn't impressed either, the intro looked good but I feel the gameplay graphics could of looked a little cleaner especially with pro if the game is even utilizing the pro.

Weird, I just got the update email, but no code. I can access the forums and bug tracker. My guess is they're just rolling out Canada now and doing a poor job at it?

Yeah, seems like two separate issues:

1) people who got the email but no code;
2) people who got the email and a broken code.

Interesting that so many reports are from Canada, really does sound like they just screwed up code distribution for us.

Yeah, seems like two separate issues:

1) people who got the email but no code;
2) people who got the email and a broken code.

Interesting that so many reports are from Canada, really does sound like they just screwed up code distribution for us.

Yup, another Canadian here with a broken code :(

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Those of you who got a message, do you allow messages from strangers? Is that relevant?

I allow messages from anyone, but I don't think it is relevant since this is a notification, not a message and it's from PlayStation itself. I got this in the middle of the afternoon today. This notification took me to the code entry screen with a pre-populated code. Easy to use.

Also, later in the day I got an e-mail from PlayStation store. It had the links to the Bug Tracker, Beta Forums, and had the same code in it.

"Race competitively against others online daily from 5:00pm to 8:00pm Pacific Time.

You will be able to enjoy both the “Daily Races,” head-to-head races against others online inside Gran Turismo Sport, as well as the off-line “Arcade” mode.

The Daily Races will take place at a specific time each day. To participate, select the “Sport” heading in the mode menu at the top of the home screen during live-playing hours. This is when you’ll be able to race against others online."

To play in the Arcade mode, select “Arcade” from the mode menu at the top of the home screen.

-hadouken

Feels pretty good so far, but it's more of an evolution than revolution. Sound is improved, handling feels a little deeper, and the car models are exceptional.

Wish photomode was available, but here's a share shot.

bourgeois said:
C8IbGjgV0AEvHbN.png

Megasoum

Banned

EDIT: Looks like a bunch of people in the closed beta forum have the same issue, so hopefully Sony will fix it in time for the weekend.

Yeah same, the code doesn't work.

I haven't had a chance to play with my wheel yet, but here are my impressions so far.

Looks: I don't care about graphics in a new GT game these days. PS4 Pro on 4K, it looks great and like a GT game. It looks exactly as you'd expect. Crazy detailed car models, unrivaled lighting with lots of nuance between time of day, but still some lack luster details track side. Replays make everything super pretty, but the wow factor is not nearly as high in real time. I don't really have much more to add in the gfx department than hasn't been picked over to death. I will say it ran smoother than GT5 and GT6 though. So on to the actual driving...

General driving feel: Um, yeah all these cars are super easy to drive. I had all of the assists off and even with a controller I could throw them around without much issue. It still feels like the same old GT tire model. Lots and lots of grip, you can break mid corner without much of an issue than a little under steer, you can snap off throttle with no issues. Smash between gears, no problem you will never spin out, just lots of revs. I am not noticing a whole lot improved from GT6 other than it feels like there are assists still on even with them off. I felt like GT6 was a little less forgiving.

Tuning: Same shit different GT. You can change your downforce balance from 200/400 to 300/150 and the car feels the same other than more or less cornering grip and top and speed change. The areo modeling still feels super basic and looks to be ripe for exploiting yet again in online races. Didn't change the BoP rating at all on the car. All the other shit is identical. Wack on a ton of camber for more grip with no down side

Tire mode: No wear on yet, so hard to tell. But no sign of temperature or anything more detailed. Who knows what is to come, but so far feels like GT6

Sounds: Ugh. Still really poor. Compared to other GT games like GT6, oh yeah big improvement. Way more character with the transmission sounds, bumps, curbs, over run, backfires etc. However, the overall notes of all the engines still have that distinct GT artificial vacuum sound. When I grided up for a 20 car race, it didn't sound like a grid of powerful race cars, it sounded like the same old tinny GT garabge. It is the best sound GT game without a doubt, but it still feels so so far behind where the competition has been for ages now. Absolutely no excuse for how shitty these games still sound.

Online: I had a chance to actually do three races in the G.4 cars (Renault Megane for me) at the short Brands Hatch. Racing with other people is definitely going to be the saving grace of this game. As long as the sportsmanship rating keeps people in check (in my three races people still drove like idiots smashing in to each other) there could be fun to have despite all the flaws. The netcode seemed atrocious. Every car was wiggling all over the road, blinking around and even when not tweaking out, they never quiet looked smooth. My ping was 40-50ms the entire time and the experience was quite poor. I know it is beta, but I was not left feeling confident.

Overall: Pretty disappointed with the lack of progress this franchise has been making game to game and hardware generation to generation. I am genuinely baffled as to where all of this time and money goes. So much of this game already feels immediately familiar, and not in a good way. I could convince myself it is an early beta and the launch is months away so lots could change, but PD has done nothing in the last 10 years to convince me I should expect to be surprised instead of disappointed. I expect to play this game online only and with cars that run on Sports tires only. The lower class cars are still where this game's physics shine and a lot of fun is to be had despite the well known flaws that have seemed to follow us all the way to GTS. I look forward to the GAF racing league revival :)

The soundtrack man, dat soundtrack. GT always has an amazing front end, but they really outdid themselves this time. I'm going to need a soundtrack release on the same day as the game.

Stoffinator

I got this issue too.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This game looks gorgeous, holy freaking crap. Be sure to turn on HDR in the settings, it defaults to off.

You are CRAZY. The high fidelity on the cars alone when racing is extremely noticeable from GT5/6. It has a super sharp look to it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Damage is definitely in, paint scuffs and scratches everywhere. It looks like there's some minor deformation but I could be totally wrong since I can't get the camera in super tight. Definitely nothing like GT5.

Top Bottom