• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

shandy706

There's a really good game here...but for those that it may affect...

(obviously things may change with patches)

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/10/gran-turismo-sport-offline-mode/

If the servers are down or your PS4 is not connected to the Internet, no other parts of the game are available and no progress can be saved. (This means you'll lose any in-game credits or level progression earned in Arcade mode.) Obviously, online matches depend on the servers. But so, too, does the rest of the game—stuff that has always been available offline in the past. Campaign mode (the career mode that includes the notorious Gran Turismo driving school) is off limits while offline. Also unavailable offline: buying new cars, viewing your garage, editing car liveries, and even the "taking photos of fancy cars in exotic scenery" mode.

I've just played while waiting for the update (12gb) to download in the background, it said that it won't save when I started the game.
Each time I start an arcade mode track, it gives me 3 connection errors/unable to save in a row before loading. After restarting the game (update still not complete),none of my times were saved.

No, it doesn't save offline, at all.

Yamauchi says 85% of content offline. Only 15% of game online focused.

Youtube video of the conversation/event.

**Edit: The above is for those saying the game was always said to be mostly online. However, that's not really the point of this thread. The thread was to inform, and to point out that (for now) single player content is lost if you're offline, and possibly if servers or your internet goes down. Perhaps someone can run a 30min offline race and then disconnect before winning. See if it saves, or if you lose a half hour of play?

Ahasverus

No saves? Fuck off.

These kind of games need a "Requires Plus membership" sticker on the cover.

$60 for a demo, disgusting.

Ridley327

I was wondering about that sticker on the front when we got our copies in, since I can't imagine why you wouldn't just straight up require online connectivity to play the game. If it's just for a technicality so you can say "WE'RE PLAYABLE OFFLINE, SORT OF," they went about it the wrong way.

Effect

(This means you'll lose any in-game credits or level progression earned in Arcade mode.

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop once that single player mode was revealed. People kept saying there is the Arcade mode if you want to do offline single player content. That is complete and utter BS!

Santar

Aand GT Sport no longer exsist for me.
I hate this trend of games locking stuff behind online services and crippling the offline game.
Imagine if you could only play severly crippled versions of your old nes and snes games?

shandy706

I'm actually ok with online only games (although single player content should NOT be locked behind it) if that's the direction one takes.

Multi-player being online only is a a given, people need to know that the "single player" content is affected too.

Kyoufu

The servers went down in the demo and I couldn't do anything so I closed the demo and didn't return. Terrible.

FeD.nL

No saves? Fuck off.

These kind of games need a "Requires Plus membership" sticker on the cover.

$60 for a demo, disgusting.

Online = not the same as requires PS Plus

Yes you need an internet connection to sync your account progress. No you don't need a PS Plus sub to save your progress against the AI.

epmode

Wait, reviewers didn't mention this at all? This is the first I've heard about forced online.

(Well, forced in the same way that Hitman handles it)

ethomaz

Banned
Yet, people keep telling me that it has a single player offline mode....... Which one is it?
You can play offline most of the modes... it just won’t track progress like SFV.

The servers went down in the demo and I couldn't do anything so I closed the demo and didn't return. Terrible.
The demo was online required.

The final game is not... you can play offline... you just won’t earn credits, level, etc.

Ahasverus

Online = not the same as requires PS Plus

Yes you need an internet connection to sync your account progress. No you don't need a PS Plus sub to save your progress against the AI.
OK this sounds a bit better.

Sucks for preservation though.

Top Bottom