• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

Audioboxer

While GT Sport servers aren't going to get shutdown in 12 months, a lot of this like saves, is indeed bullshit.

Before anyone says "online game/MP focus", it still has something resembling a SP component and should allow as robust offline play as possible.

Wiped89

My internet literally went down for two hours when I was trying to download the demo (lol, irony much). Turns out my broadband provider was doing maintenance because it was like 1am on a Tuesday.

Internet isn't always available. Even now my wifi box chucks my PS4 offline sometimes for no real reason.

I really dislike the direction they've taken with this game - and I've been playing GT since GT1.

I've gone with Forza 7 this year but maybe one day with lots of patches I'll get GT Sport. Not any time soon though.

Depends on the game, doesn't it?

No.

Make the game good, then let the community develop around it. Street Fighter was rushed to meet tournament schedules leaving behind features the majority of fans enjoyed, it suffered s a result. No matter how good the core gameplay is you cant remove things the fans of the series enjoy to chase that esport goal.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can't tell who's being deliberately stupid or actually surprised anymore, so instead of talking in circles let's clear up everything:

What is Gran Turismo Sport?

It is a game that is focused on online racing, a major departure from the series. Specifically it is FIA licensed, meaning it is one of the only racers that can be used to gain a FIA license.

The game contains "Sport Mode" where you rise up in ranks as you play online with others, as well as hundreds of smaller events that teaches you basic driving skills (Driving School), some of the nuances of each track (Circuit Experience), and pit you in specific situations (Missions).

You can also play an Arcade mode that let's you play freely on all the tracks and cars in the game, and take photos in Scape mode.

What Online/Offline Functionality is There?

Online, PS Plus Sub: All features are playable.
Online, no PS Plus Sub: All features except for Sports mode (online racing) are available.
Offline: Only Arcade mode is available. No progression is saved in this mode.

Why are saves cloud only?

To prevent data tampering and online cheating, and for the game to be officially certified by the FIA.

Why isn't there an offline save option?

The entire point of the game is to ready you for online racing. The work involved for separating components of the game to save offline probably wasn't worth it, because all progression goes towards matching you up with the proper opponents online.

So I can't save single player progress without online?!

There is a single player component, but it's nothing like the other GT games in terms of progression. You should not buy this game if your only focus is to play the single player content. That is not what this game is built or designed for.

Should I play this game if I don't want to play online?

The entire focus of this game is an online racing series. To put it another way: you can buy Battlefield for the single player, but...that's not the best idea. This is an online focused game.

They should have made this obvious from the get go!

They did. They mentioned it from the original announcement all the way to this crazy "burn the series to the ground" hype trailer, GT Sport was always all about online racing.

They should put the online requirements on the back of the box!

They put it on the front of the box.

7upogZ2.jpg

What happens in four to eight years when the servers get shut off?

The same thing that happens to all online-focused games: they become unplayable.

Are you seriously ok with an online focused game forcing you to be online at all times?

That's a stupid question.

What happens if the servers go down due to maintenance?

That's a legit question, and I'm sure we'll find out when it happens. Polyphony added more user support to their servers due to the overload when the beta/demo hit, so we'll have to wait and see.

And what about the lootbox and microtransactions?

They have already confirmed no lootboxes or microtransactions will ever appear in this game.

If my connection wasn’t working or in years to come when they shit the servers down, I’ll probably just play something else honestly. I don’t think this is really a big deal.

Kalentan

Um... no... someone would totally read that and expect it is just talking about the multiplayer... that the single player content is outside of that and should save as any normal game would.

And SFV had no offline progress to save... did it?

IF GT Sport has no Offline Progress to save either, what are we even talking about?

Pretty sure SFV has no offline progress. Can't get unlocks or anything.

You can do SP stuff offline but it won't mean much. Same with GTS.

No.

Make the game good, then let the community develop around it. Street Fighter was rushed to meet tournament schedules leaving behind features the majority of fans enjoyed, it suffered s a result. No matter how good the core gameplay is you cant remove things the fans of the series enjoy to chase that esport goal.

What if this game is good? Have you tried it?

TB12

Banned
This thread is awesome.

People bitching about needing PS+ (They don't)
People bitching about it not being on the box (It is)
People bitching about not knowing it was an online focused game. (It's been marketed that way since the beginning)
People bitching in an online forum about not having their console online. (awesome)

My guess is most of the people bitching about this are going to be online playing a game tonight.

Thank you for the short version of this thread :)

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
This is asinine. Of course you don't buy a game you boycott. I used to love the gt franchise and racing games were a big thing I'd be interested in. To be fair for some reason five didn't catch me but I would have been interested if this was good. And it didn't have this online bullshit. The fact it does means I won't even consider it (it just makes it easier that I didn't care for 5). Same reason I don't consider project cars.

Project Cars has online bullshit? News to me.

Z3M0G

I can't tell who's being deliberately stupid or actually surprised anymore, so instead of talking in circles let's clear up everything:

It is a game that is focused on online racing, a major departure from the series. Specifically it is FIA licensed, meaning it is one of the only racers that can be used to gain a FIA license.

The game contains "Sport Mode" where you rise up in ranks as you play online with others, as well as hundreds of smaller events that teaches you basic driving skills (Driving School), some of the nuances of each track (Circuit Experience), and pit you in specific situations (Missions).

You can also play an Arcade mode that let's you play freely on all the tracks and cars in the game, and take photos in Scape mode.

Online, no PS Plus Sub: All features except for Sports mode (online racing) are available.

To prevent data tampering and online cheating, and for the game to be officially certified by the FIA.

The entire point of the game is to ready you for online racing. The work involved for separating components of the game to save offline probably wasn't worth it, because all progression goes towards matching you up with the proper opponents online.

There is a single player component, but it's nothing like the other GT games in terms of progression. You should not buy this game if your only focus is to play the single player content. That is not what this game is built or designed for.

The entire focus of this game is an online racing series. To put it another way: you can buy Battlefield for the single player, but...that's not the best idea. This is an online focused game.

They did. They mentioned it from the original announcement all the way to this crazy "burn the series to the ground" hype trailer, GT Sport was always all about online racing.

The same thing that happens to all online-focused games: they become unplayable.

Are you seriously ok with an online focused game forcing you to be online at all times?

That's a legit question, and I'm sure we'll find out when it happens. Polyphony added more user support to their servers due to the overload when the beta/demo hit, so we'll have to wait and see.

They have already confirmed no lootboxes or microtransactions will ever appear in this game.

Where do the challenges fit into this? That award you with Bronze/Silver/Gold ?

spanna

Online focused game requires onlineness shocka.
Exactly who is getting their knickers in a twist here?
Xbox fanboys who were never going to buy it or just stupid people?

mike6467

This is a racing game.

They might be up front about these requirements, but I don't know anyone who would assume they're going to miss out on major parts of the experience by playing a racing game offline.

I was looking forward to this because of the legacy of the series and the hundreds of hours I've spent with them. Though the time I spent with Forza recently has shown me I'm probably burnt out on racing sims, and reading this doesn't sit well with me. Plus if the single player component is that bare bones then it wasn't for me to begin with. Plus this means I can pick up Danganrompa...

Fredrik

I think the defenders need to sit down for a minute and ask themselves WHY they're defending this.

Personally I can't find a single reason why this is good. And if it's bad I can't find a single reason why I should defend it. There has been games with online requirements in the past, right? And they've had issues when servers are down, correct? And they've been bad for people with bad or no internet connections, isn't this right? So why is there a defence force here???

I think the defenders need to sit down for a minute and ask themselves WHY they're defending this.

Personally I can't find a single reason why this is good. And if it's bad I can't find a single reason why I should defend it. There has been games with online requirements in the past, right? And they've had issues when servers are down, correct? And they've been bad for people with bad or no internet connections, isn't this right? So why is there a defence force here???

Nobody is saying it’s good, some people like me just don’t care.

Angst

Maybe some feel that they need to counter the pitchfork guys that doesn't really care about the game but are now enraged?

ornery

- Gameplay is fantastic. No ifs, ands, or buts. Playing with a DS4 or a wheel, gameplay is absolutely sublime
- The game itself is gorgeous. Hands down nicest looking game I've ever played, and yes, I'm putting it over HZD
- Fun factor. I've enjoyed the hell out of this. MP or SP, there's a feeling of accomplishment in watching yourself progress throughout the game
- Replayability. I can see this becoming the de-facto racing sim for PS4. With DLC, this game could become the best racing game this generation.

We're letting the marginally bad outweigh the absolutely awesome.

Fredrik

It's okay to not care about it, not caring about something usually mean not defending it either, because you simply don't care. But some here are clearly defending every criticism. That's what's weird. It's not like this is something good worth defending.

mike6467

I think the defenders need to sit down for a minute and ask themselves WHY they're defending this. /QUOTE]

- Gameplay is fantastic. No ifs, ands, or buts. Playing with a DS4 or a wheel, gameplay is absolutely sublime
- The game itself is gorgeous. Hands down nicest looking game I've ever played, and yes, I'm putting it over HZD
- Fun factor. I've enjoyed the hell out of this. MP or SP, there's a feeling of accomplishment in watching yourself progress throughout the game
- Replayability. I can see this becoming the de-facto racing sim for PS4. With DLC, this game could become the best racing game this generation.

None of that is relevant. The game can be incredible and this can still be a shitty practice.

watdaeff4

Not for sure the hyperbole of some of the outrage here.......

Comparing Sony to MS on having an online game vs. an online console? Bit much you think? Or the troll concerns for when Sony shuts the servers down?

But some of the "defense" posts aren't much better.....

spanna

Or me.
I wanted GT to be like this. I have a billion other racing games that are offline that I can race 14 thousand cars on.
I didnt need GT to be the same. I wanted something different and in angling towards online sport it is. If that means always online then fine whatever.
I dont live in a submarine, its the 21st century and I have decent internet.
I am happy.

It really strange when people say "you want changes, so PD make this game and you should be happy with it!"
Yes, I wanted changes in GT. I wanted better AI, better sound design, better damage, all cars and tracks with same details and ... PD did good work with some of those things, but they removed career and I'm not happy with that. I love GT as an amazing game with lots of things to do. Lots of events and races that takes hours and hours to complete. But now we have an online game, 4 years after previous GT.

They have already confirmed no lootboxes or microtransactions will never appear in this game.
Boom!

chubigans tag is appropriate.

watdaeff4

Not to be snarky but this is the true beef with me.

That's the thing, I can't progress in SP when offline.
Is it going to make me hate the game? No. But it is an unnecessary inconvenience

They're questioning something thats been understood for months at this point?
I disagree that the extent of this has been understood. (Again my point above)

DarkestHour

Banned
Yep. Welcome to the world of gaming where everything is digital and online only. When they start offering the game digital you can never play it again. When they take the servers offline you can never play it again.

Top Bottom