• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
And again, that was after knowing the Sport mode was online, but before knowing that Arcade mode relies upon that same online-only progression to unlock cars and tracks to use. Which makes it a crappy offline mode.

I don't know why this point keeps getting missed. Yes, there was a thread on that article but it really didn't clear up much.
Ah I see, never mind then.

ty_hot

Youre misunderstanding what I'm saying. When I say "offline" It's the part of the game that doesn't actually require you to be online to participate in. But you still earn stuff that has an significant impact on the competitive part of the game, like license tests.

License tests can be earned solo, but you need them to actually race in certain races. If licenses were stored locally, then you can mod the files and go online to compete in races that you wouldn't othewise be able to.

Which online games allow you to earn stuff offline that have an impact in multiplayer? The only one I can think of is Diablo 3 and that game's multiplayer is ruined because of it.

Exactly. There is no 'single player' and 'multiplayer' progress. Its one progress. The cars you get to play in 'single player' are the same ones that you can use to play 'multiplayer'... even the "Scape" mode is locked to the cars you own.

You play and you progress. It's like if you would play a Call of Duty campaign, earn points and buy stuff (weapons, perks etc) for the online mode. NO! Those modes are separate: which is also a reason why some people don't even touch the single player content.

Yeah it can be annoying when they do some maintenance... but it also makes the game better as a whole: The game is focused on the online races. To do so they expect you to be a good driver and earn the cars based on your own ability. Having the 'single player' locked to online saves (WHICH IS NOT PS+ LOCKED) is a measure to make sure the system works. You play the challenges, get the licenses, earn some cars for that, but you are also getting better at the game, respecting the brake points and such thing, all this counts for you to come online and DONT BE A STUPID DRIVER.

Ah I see, never mind then.
It's alright.

Couldn't even find out how the Arcade mode unlocks worked until the game actually launched since there was nothing to see in the demo, and the manual doesn't even spell it out. But you start with maybe three beginner tracks and a couple of cars in Arcade, but everything else is locked behind Driver level, which I guess can be accrued offline but only saved when online.

You want to race the Nurburgring offline? Have to be level 20.

So for anybody looking at the game's offline modes as something they could sink their teeth into without ever going online, it won't work. But I guess its there for short server downtimes or loss of connectivity?

Regardless, still looking forward to getting home, taking care of house stuff and then settling in for some more Circuit Experience runs :)

LOLCats

Banned
I didn't know about this... I am not a GT guy, but damn if this wouldn't be something that would upset me. I suppose if I was interested i would have known this?

watdaeff4

but loudninja works for the psblog so he would have paid more attention to it

I.......did not know that....

That clears some things up.

I didn't know about this... I am not a GT guy, but damn if this wouldn't be something that would upset me. I suppose if I was interested i would have known this?
Some of us who were interested didn't know the extent of it. (e.g. for me that I couldn't even progress in the SP parts offline)

Kashiwaba

It's alright.

Couldn't even find out how the Arcade mode unlocks worked until the game actually launched since there was nothing to see in the demo, and the manual doesn't even spell it out. But you start with maybe three beginner tracks and a couple of cars in Arcade, but everything else is locked behind Driver level, which I guess can be accrued offline but only saved when online.

You want to race the Nurburgring offline? Have to be level 20.

So for anybody looking at the game's offline modes as something they could sink their teeth into without ever going online, it won't work. But I guess its there for short server downtimes or loss of connectivity?

Regardless, still looking forward to getting home, taking care of house stuff and then settling in for some more Circuit Experience runs :)
I think they should have kept the arcade mode with everything unlocked outside the main menu like old GT games, and considered the arcade mode inside as a mini SP campaign where you can unlock cars, get some money...etc.

farisr

Nope. You could assume something based off a blog post a month ago, but it wasn't confirmed by any means whatsoever until 5 days ago when the online manual got posted, and you'd have to be keeping up. Like shit, I was super active in the preview threads and even I missed the news of progress not saving for offline stuff. Especially after PD sending out a notice during the demo indicating that the way the demo acts in regards to needing an online connection is not reflective of the game.

spwolf

I was saying that the only true thing that needs to be saved online, is the SR. And no shit, the stuff that you earn you have to be online to earn, because they set it up that way. A lot of this stuff shouldn't require you to be online to save the progress. That's the whole point of this thread.

why would you want to gimp the game by not giving us arcade rewards to be used in online mode?

I mostly play time trials, and it would suck ass if time trials would not give me awards that can be used on online mode too.

Whole point now is that it is an RPG and that everything is tied. Everything you do at any point of the game is connected and it matters. This is good.

For whatever crazy reason, you want it to be two separate pieces that are barely connected to each other.

I can understand people who dont have their PS tied to internet at all, then GTS is clearly not the game for them regardless of offline or online. There is simply no coherent campaign regardless.

But posting 100 posts an hour about online connection on online forums seems weird. You obviously have online. Whats the problem?

It is much better that both arcade and online racing modes are tied together and not separate parts.

I think they should have kept the arcade mode with everything unlocked outside the main menu like old GT games, and considered the arcade mode inside as a mini SP campaign where you can unlock cars, get some money...etc.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't even think about people who have zero access to an internet connection, but it would basically prohibit all unlocks. I have to imagine that percentage is small, but I'm sure it'll impact some.

The threads on here and twitter when PSN goes down during the holidays

QONVIyz.gif

farisr

why would you want to gimp the game by not giving us arcade rewards to be used in online mode?

I mostly play time trials, and it would suck ass if time trials would not give me awards that can be used on online mode too.

Whole point now is that it is an RPG and that everything is tied. Everything you do at any point of the game is connected and it matters. This is good.

For whatever crazy reason, you want it to be two separate pieces that are barely connected to each other.

I can understand people who dont have their PS tied to internet at all, then GTS is clearly not the game for them regardless of offline or online. There is simply no coherent campaign regardless.

But posting 100 posts an hour about online connection on online forums seems weird. You obviously have online. Whats the problem?

It is much better that both arcade and online racing modes are tied together and not separate parts.
Umm.. no. My point was that the only thing that truly matters for online play is the SR system. The value of credits has already decreased in the game due to the game throwing cars at you left and right and some people randomly getting the fastest car in the game within the first hour.

If modding a save file to get the max credits is the reason they decided to put the gamesaves online only, then it's an extremely poor one. They could've still kept a system that saved your progress of earning credits offline that carried over to the online portion. The online races are class-based, SR based, and have limitations on them anyways, so it's not like it's going to make much of a difference if someone maxes out their car level earlier via modding than compared to somebody else who's also managed to max out their car via playing. Especially when races automatically downgrade cars to the appropriate levels if they're above it. If they suck at driving they'll be in the lower SR races anyways.

It's a racing MMO basically. I see nothing wrong. I know it's a big departure from the other games in the series, but I don't mind.

Grazzt

Nope. You could assume something based off a blog post a month ago, but it wasn't confirmed by any means whatsoever until 5 days ago when the online manual got posted, and you'd have to be keeping up. Like shit, I was super active in the preview threads and even I missed the news of progress not saving for offline stuff. Especially after PD sending out a notice during the demo indicating that the way the demo acts in regards to needing an online connection is not reflective of the game.

What a shitshow. This plus you cannot cancel preorder or get a refund on PSN... Guess a lot of players wont be happy.

synce

lol Wow. Honestly I never gave Project Cars a shot but after this it looks like that's the only option from here on out.

EBreda

It's an online focused game that's not made by blizzard, so obviously people will lose their shit.

It's a new entry in a series that has never had this kind of limitations before. Very different from the shitty Overwatch/Blizzard comparisons people are making.

Really, it's not that hard to see that limiting progress while offline is a little bit too much, specially because servers are bound to be down and you will loose all progress.

oimori

I think people who can post something here don't have to care so much about this thing immediately, because you all may already have a internet connection...

of course there is some risks like Server down and I lost some progression by it in the demo...

GT is a really huge IP, and there are lot of people buy the game because this is GT(and not so keen about info), so I'm sad for seeing some people lost interest for GTS by this news.

Rellik

I'm out then. The shit load of crashes in the demo was bad enough, but this is too much for me. I'll go find my sim racing fix elsewhere.

Outrun

I wish they had similar articles when the PC version of FM7 launched with no offline. Bought it expecting it to work offline and I can't even launch the game without a connection.

Forza too?

This shit in general is unacceptable.

This industry is fucked.

Playing FM7 and being bombarded with loot boxes, hearing the SW Visceral news, Activision steering people to loot boxes...

What a fucking depressing time...

Teppic

I didn't know this was always online. Granted I haven't really been following this game. Not really interested in games that doesn't work without connecting to PSN.

- Replayability. I can see this becoming the de-facto racing sim for PS4. With DLC, this game could become the best racing game this generation.
Except the game won't be replayable once the servers inevitably go down. Offline save progress preserves the shelf life and, by extension, the replayability of this game you seem to love. Hence, why it is so perplexing that fans of the game like you are dismissive, or indifferent, to the issue. To put things in perspective, consider that, in the future, your grandkids will still be able to play SMB, a game from 1985, but not GT:Sport, a game from 2017. These practices are an affront to game preservation and won't be supported by people who care about that kind of thing, like me.

I think there are some interesting business strategy shift here.

Sony becomes the early winner of this generation largely because they are the ones that told fans they rejected the always online or heavily online future. So now many of their hardcore fans are thoes single player, physical hardcopy fundamentalist.

Now that the biggest Sony exclusive is pushing that always online future, I am curious how the fans will react after the launch. Sony do own the mainstream audience though. They might not care like those fundamentalists do.

Personally, online features always make games more engaging for me so I am not against them. Maybe that's why I own an Xbox One, though.

By the way, for reference, although Xbox Live Gold is not needed, because of the customizing feature, You can't buy cars in Forza Horizon 3 if you're offline either.

DD

Well, I'm in such a poor situation right now, and console games are so expensive here in Brazil that I wouldn't get it anyway (at least for now), but this eases the pain as of I wouldn't get it even if I was doing fine because I refuse to support such scummy practices.

How can people compare this to the initial Xbox One reveal? That thing was the whole console. This is a game. You can choose to ignore it. They have Driveclub, Project Cars 1 and 2, and probably a few more for those wanting an offline fix. I am as disappointed as the next guy with the direction this series has taken but you're all making it out as a harbinger of doom. Let's just ignore all the other single player titles Sony put out then, because I'm sure the Last of Us 2 will always be online.

Outrun

How can people compare this to the initial Xbox One reveal? That thing was the whole console. This is a game. You can choose to ignore it. They have Driveclub, Project Cars 1 and 2, and probably a few more for those wanting an offline fix. I am as disappointed as the next guy with the direction this series has taken but you're all making it out as a harbinger of doom. Let's just ignore all the other single player titles Sony put out then, because I'm sure the Last of Us 2 will always be online.

GT has pedigree though...

20cent

Banned
Yes, the game is aimed for online, we get it, we get your smart-ass FAQs and sparky comparisons to Overwatch.
But it has a Single Player mode too, geez.

Well it’s Gran Turismo is why.

GT has always had a single player mode, along with an online mode. The thinking is, why not keep the single player mode that has netted you millions in sales, while adding a robust multiplayer mode. They’ve had 4 years to do so.

Edit:
The series has almost 80 million in total sales. This is probably Sony’s best selling franchise and one of the main reasons why a lot of people purchase a PlayStation. This game was mostly sold on the single player aspect.

Im not bothered by this as much as some, but I completely understand their viewbpoint.

GT has always had a single player mode, along with an online mode. The thinking is, why not keep the single player mode that has netted you millions in sales, while adding a robust multiplayer mode. They’ve had 4 years to do so.
While I lament its loss, it seems that they focused all their efforts into the online aspects of the game. Maybe if we rabble rouse a bit more, then we'll get it at some point.

I'm still actually waiting for Driveclub to get a complete edition.

farisr

You could also choose to not buy the Xbox because you had Playstation and Nintendo as alternatives

But much like why that is not a good option as what makes Xbox unique are its exculsives or infrastructure, GT is similarly unique in terms of its gameplay. None of the alternatives play like it. I've tried, they simply don't and I don't like them as a result.

The franchise has a history, and I grew up with it. I don't consider this a indicator of the things to come with other Sony titles, but I am still super frustrated and disappointed with the game that does so much right yet gets a few big things wrong, enough to basically force me to not get it due to principle alone. And I will criticize the game for it rather than letting it go whenever the subject comes up. Voicing our opinions and criticisms is the only way to get things changed.

The cut down single player was already a big issue for me, enough so that I was going to treat this like a prologue and buy it at a similar pricepoint once the official MSRP dropped to it, but this online requirement unfortunately makes it fall into the "not buying till changed" category for me (I am strictly against online being required for things that don't justify it and have skipped out on games already due to that), and it legit stings because I've been waiting for a new GT game for 6 years now (I skipped GT6 because of PS4, and the rumors and interviews hinting at a PS4 port for that game).

Famassu

While it's not too surprising GT Sport is this way considering they always said it would be a far more online focused title, I'm still gonna skip it and hope Gran Turismo 7 has a more robuts single player mode that doesn't require online by the time it releases on PlayStation 6.

What a shitshow. This plus you cannot cancel preorder or get a refund on PSN... Guess a lot of players wont be happy.

Only people that have literally not paid any attention to what was being said about the game. I made the choice to skip the game ALONG time ago when they confirmed traditional campaign mode was out. The online and competitive focus sealed the deal. They didn't hide the focus of the game at all.

Kashiwaba

While it's not too surprising GT Sport is this way considering they always said it would be a far more online focused title, I'm still gonna skip it and hope Gran Turismo 7 has a more robuts single player mode that doesn't require online by the time it releases on PlayStation 6.

PD released 3 GT games in less than 7 years i think people should drop the long development time joke, GT5 went through development hell and it was the only exception.

farisr

Only people that have literally not paid any attention to what was being said about the game. I made the choice to skip the game ALONG time ago when they confirmed traditional campaign mode was out. The online and competitive focus sealed the deal. They didn't hide the focus of the game at all.
except for the last few months where they turned there strategy and seeing promoting campaign as an equivalent to past games with Kaz on record saying 85% of the game experience is offline.

And no, we didn't know about progress not being saved in offline modes without a connection until 5 days ago, even if you were paying attention.
PD released 3 GT games in less than 7 years i think people should drop the long development time joke, just because they won't through development hell prior to GT5.
Come on now, including gt5 without including it's development time is super disingenuous. It's been 13 years for 3 mainline entries. Removing it makes it 7 years for 2 games, one of which was building upon the development laid out by GT5, and released 4 years ago.

Let's hope that the "future-proofing" this time around is actually future proof.

Top Bottom